Marketwatch.com started charging recently

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
CrossOverGuy

Marketwatch.com started charging recently

Post by CrossOverGuy »

It looks like as of this week the website Marketwatch.com started charging. I first started going there when it was where the old financial magazine/website Smart Money went when it went out of business. You can still see the status of the different market indexes, etc. without paying, but it did have some good links to different stories, mostly financial. It has an offer for like $1 for 4 weeks, then $23/month afterwards, which being a Boglehead and trying to watch my ERs in my index funds, etc., I don't want to pay. Any recommendations for some other good money, financial websites? I might still check out the story headlines there and then just google to try to find the story on my own. I look at money.com, kiplingers.com, and I suppose I could go back to morningstar which is where I found the Bogleheads originally. Thanks.
runner3081

Re: Marketwatch.com started charging recently

Post by runner3081 »

Correct, noticed that as well. Wouldn’t pay a penny for that site. Some okay stuff, but mostly amateur hour with bad writers.

I do miss it a bit though!

For me, it has been over a month since they started blocking.
Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 »

It's mostly a political website, too.

No thanks.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Many of the Marketwatch articles are distributed through Morningstar: https://www.morningstar.com/news/marketwatch

You can also see a good number of Wall Street Journal's articles, too: https://www.morningstar.com/news/dow-jones

Both of these provide articles in a basic text format; any graphics or charts don't show up. But that's fine by me. No ads, either.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

This topic is now in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
delamer

Post by delamer »

sycamore wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:42 pm Many of the Marketwatch articles are distributed through Morningstar: https://www.morningstar.com/news/marketwatch

You can also see a good number of Wall Street Journal's articles, too: https://www.morningstar.com/news/dow-jones

Both of these provide articles in a basic text format; any graphics or charts don't show up. But that's fine by me. No ads, either.
Thanks for the links; very nice to have!
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

i can still access the Paul Farrell's Lazy Portfolios which is really all that marketwatch is good for:
https://www.marketwatch.com/lazyportfolio

Paul Merriman used to have articles there but always complained about the lack of control he had with the title of his articles. He thought Marketwatch intentionally changed the titles to be more click-baitey (i.e., often the title they created was not consistent or was misleading with the article Paul had written). Bummer.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
ROIGuy

Post by ROIGuy »

MarketWatch = Click Bait
quisp65

Post by quisp65 »

I'll miss it too but wouldn't pay a penny for it. I felt I could ramble at the end of their articles without looking stupid. Here I delete over half my posts after I write them because I feel they are not boglehead worthy. That's how you know you found a good forum :-)
Volkdancer

Post by Volkdancer »

I enjoy Questin Fottrell's columns perhaps the most. The situations he is presented with sound like some of the boglehead threads.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Bye bye Marketwatch.com. You were barely worth reading when you were free. There is absolutely no way I would pay a nickel to read your stuff.
Candor

Post by Candor »

I received a notice from them the other day stating I was about to reach my limit of free articles so maybe they will be like Bloomberg and allow 3 free a month or something similar?
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

Volkdancer wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:25 pm I enjoy Questin Fottrell's columns perhaps the most. The situations he is presented with sound like some of the boglehead threads.
I like his column too, but he gets into relationship issues that would never fly on BH. Fascinating and entertaining stuff.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Oh no!

If MarketWatch starts charging, where will I find high quality financial news articles? Two current examples of such articles from the MarketWatch home page:

Only two other times since George Washington was president has the U.S. stock market been as far above trend as it is now”

“Markets are in ‘eye of the storm’ and mounting turmoil will drive stocks lower and 10-year bonds to negative 0.50%”

[sarcasm intended :twisted: ]
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

It's good internet financial junk food, but I can't imagine paying for it. I always enjoy seeing a headline why the market will crash, and an article title right below it citing an expert who foresees record bull run.

Of course I don't pay for any of it.

For most pay wall, like NYT, you can just clear history. For WSJ, if you want to read something bad enough, sometimes you can copy the article title, shut down any wsj browser tab, clear history, then Google the title.
delamer

Post by delamer »

Volkdancer wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:25 pm I enjoy Questin Fottrell's columns perhaps the most. The situations he is presented with sound like some of the boglehead threads.
Me too!

I question if there is enough demand for their product to get people to pay for it, but not my problem.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
Shaka

Post by Shaka »

I noticed they started limiting the number of free articles you can view each month.

However, if you reset your cookies or use your browser's incognito/InPrivate mode, you may be able to avoid this limit.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Yeah I noticed this the other day I wondered what was up.

It's a decent site for casual browsing but I haven't found any information there worth paying for.

Add revenue must not be cutting it.
Signal13

Post by Signal13 »

I'm guessing this won't last long because most people don't want to get extorted for news they can likely find elsewhere. I enjoyed a few articles and the Moneyist Column but it's definitely not worth paying for. Once their revenue and ad clicks plummet, it will probably go back to free.
bog007

Post by bog007 »

copy and paste to outline.com
Don’t let anyone else ruin your portfolio. It’s your portfolio. Ruin it yourself!!!
bugleheadd

Post by bugleheadd »

might as well go use Yahoo Finance. i thnk its still free
eer_no_evil

Post by eer_no_evil »

MarketWatch has became less a financial publication and more of a political rag.
Chaconne

Post by Chaconne »

For retirement articles, I've noticed that Marketwatch often runs articles taken (with permission) from https://www.nextavenue.org/, which is a site I find to be valuable. I've never been a fan of Marketwatch's practice of running doomsday stories one day and sunshine stories the next!
Learner1

Post by Learner1 »

I've been using it for free up until today. Now it seems I am subject to their new recruitment campaign, $1 for 4 weeks then $9.99/month to carry on reading. I'm going to wait and see what happens.
Scooter57

Post by Scooter57 »

I have read the free Marketwatch for years when I was bored. I have yet to learn a single useful thing that would help improve my investing. Their articles are extremely simplistic, dumbed down, and often just some big investor/hedge fund guru talking his book so that people will buy stuff he is hoping to unload.

Bloomberg has a much more informed and occasionally useful site with articles that go into more depth and pick up on trends you might want to be aware of.
Visitor76

Post by Visitor76 »

Learner1 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:44 am I've been using it for free up until today. Now it seems I am subject to their new recruitment campaign, $1 for 4 weeks then $9.99/month to carry on reading. I'm going to wait and see what happens.
If you notice MW will allow you to read 3 or 4 articles before you reach your "limit", then they will "block" you for a couple days asking for a shakedown, then they'll give you limited access to articles again until you reach your "limit".

I mainly use the site for tracking my watchlist which is still free the last time I checked.
Wealth is not about having a lot of money; it's about having a lot of options.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

its kind of a TMZ flavor market site. I used to browse it daily for this or that (easy reading), but w/ the paywall now its a pain.

wondering how many are actually paying :moneybag for it. I never found it insightful enough to pay for.
mr_brightside

Post by mr_brightside »

F150HD wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:25 pm its kind of a TMZ flavor market site. I used to browse it daily for this or that (easy reading), but w/ the paywall now its a pain.

wondering how many are actually paying :moneybag for it. I never found it insightful enough to pay for.
agree. if I'm going to pay I want WSJ-level insights / quality.

marketwatch is decent entertainment but not high quality analysis / reporting

--------------------------------------------