What is your age and asset allocation ?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Marseille07

Re: What is your age and asset allocation ?

Post by Marseille07 »

DarkMatter731 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:02 pm It's been interesting to see the ages of users on this sub, spanning from their 20s to their 80s.

It's a bit macabre but as a young guy in my early 20s, I see my life as just beginning. But there are others on here who were in my shoes 50+ years ago, now approaching the end of their lives. I hope that I also can diligently invest and save for the next 50 years like them without losing patience. Maybe one day, I'll also be 70+ commenting on some variant of Bogleheads and someone else young will remark about age differences on a forum, thinking he's being really profound by pointing out the obvious :happy .

I'm 21.

I have around $100,000 in SPY so 100% equities. I don't intend to keep anything in bonds for the next 40 years, particularly because I don't think they'll act as a good hedge for equities in a rising rate environment.
Whoa, 100K at 21? You're off to a great start, and your financial literacy seems fantastic as you recognize the danger of holding bonds.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

Marseille07 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:39 pm
DarkMatter731 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:02 pm It's been interesting to see the ages of users on this sub, spanning from their 20s to their 80s.

It's a bit macabre but as a young guy in my early 20s, I see my life as just beginning. But there are others on here who were in my shoes 50+ years ago, now approaching the end of their lives. I hope that I also can diligently invest and save for the next 50 years like them without losing patience. Maybe one day, I'll also be 70+ commenting on some variant of Bogleheads and someone else young will remark about age differences on a forum, thinking he's being really profound by pointing out the obvious :happy .

I'm 21.

I have around $100,000 in SPY so 100% equities. I don't intend to keep anything in bonds for the next 40 years, particularly because I don't think they'll act as a good hedge for equities in a rising rate environment.
Whoa, 100K at 21? You're off to a great start, and your financial literacy seems fantastic as you recognize the danger of holding bonds.
That is an exaggeration. Equities are far more dangerous than bonds in essentially every respect.

Opportunity cost, sure. I suppose you could make that case, but then you have to make the case that there's expected opportunity cost in investing in an S&P 500 index, too. He can expect a higher long-term return investing in small cap value or emerging markets. Should he be 100% small cap value or emerging markets and then we can tell him about the danger of holding only the S&P 500 index? You are recognizing the expected equity risk premium but not other expected premiums.

If one invests in a reasonable bond allocation - say, 20% - and doesn't reach his goals, either his goals were too lofty or he didn't save enough.

We should be warning 21 year-olds invested in 100% equity at all-time highs to consider that they don't know their risk tolerance and not to be over confident, not telling them about the danger of holding bonds.
Godot

Post by Godot »

DarkMatter731 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:02 pm I'm 21.

[ quote fixed by admin LadyGeek]

Why do you expect that the US will be in a rising rate environment for the next 40 years?
"The day you die is just like any other, only shorter." | ― Samuel Beckett
DarkMatter731

Post by DarkMatter731 »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:48 pm

I'm 21.

That is an exaggeration. Equities are far more dangerous than bonds in essentially every respect.

Opportunity cost, sure. I suppose you could make that case, but then you have to make the case that there's expected opportunity cost in investing in an S&P 500 index, too. He can expect a higher long-term return investing in small cap value or emerging markets. Should he be 100% small cap value or emerging markets and then we can tell him about the danger of holding only the S&P 500 index? You are recognizing the expected equity risk premium but not other expected premiums.

If one invests in a reasonable bond allocation - say, 20% - and doesn't reach his goals, either his goals were too lofty or he didn't save enough.

We should be warning 21 year-olds invested in 100% equity at all-time highs to consider that they don't know their risk tolerance and not to be over confident, not telling them about the danger of holding bonds.
$100,000 isn't life-changing money. I realize that the higher risks of investing 100% in the S&P500 index as opposed to diversifying elsewhere but my parents are both Doctors - I'm likely never going to be destitute no matter what happens in life. I'm not confident that this sum of money will remain intact but my life wouldn't significantly change if I lost it all.

I'm going to be graduating from a decent university and I'm interning at a macro hedgefund this summer. I feel confident that if worst comes to worst, I'll land on my feet eventually. I realize that's what everyone says before they end up losing it all but I just know I'm the exception...
DarkMatter731

Post by DarkMatter731 »

Godot wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:48 pm
DarkMatter731 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:02 pm I'm 21.

Why do you expect that the US will be in a rising rate environment for the next 40 years?

I don't expect anything.

That's just me post-hoc justifying my decision not to invest in bonds.
Jgrace

Post by Jgrace »

I'll respond to the original question.

We are 38/39, with $550k in invested assets split 92/8 between stocks and bonds. The stocks are split 75/25 between domestic and international. We have about $50k in checking and savings accounts - what most would consider our emergency fund.

If our entire net assets are considered without our mortgage, our assets are split:
  • 41.9% domestic stocks
  • 12.1% international stocks
  • 3.3% bonds
  • 5.0% cash
  • 34.8% real estate (primary residence)
  • 3.0% alternative assets
DB2

Post by DB2 »

I'm 21.

VT is my preferable equity option especially at a younger age. However, I'm not sure a 21-year-old trying to grow wealth (not preserve it per se) should be putting money into an asset class (bonds) that is almost 100% likely to lose money in inflationary terms over the next 10 years. Of course, an emergency fund of sorts can/should make sense. With all of that said, LifeStrategy Growth (VASGX) at 80/20 is always an option as well with some bond and maybe take a little edge off volatility if a problem. To me, 'set and forget' is even more important in those younger years, but that's just me.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

DB2 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:47 pm

I'm 21.

VT is my preferable equity option especially at a younger age. However, I'm not sure a 21-year-old trying to grow wealth (not preserve it per se) should be putting money into an asset class (bonds) that is almost 100% likely to lose money in inflationary terms over the next 10 years. Of course, an emergency fund of sorts can/should make sense. With all of that said, LifeStrategy Growth (VASGX) at 80/20 is always an option as well with some bond and maybe take a little edge off volatility if a problem. To me, 'set and forget' is even more important in those younger years, but that's just me.
I agree. I'd just rather a young investor hold some bonds and avoid selling low in a panic.

And of course, never actually truly be 100% equities because without bonds, some cash should be held.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

DarkMatter731 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:02 pm ...I don't think [bonds will] act as a good hedge for equities in a rising rate environment.
Be careful about predictions. This may indeed be a rising rate environment, or it may be another head fake. It was over a decade ago that Jeremy Siegel and Jeremy Schwartz warned us of "The Great American Bond Bubble". link Then there was the "taper tantrum" of 2013 when rates were sure to rise. Then again in about 2018 when rates seemed like they were--finally, inevitably--on the way up. Yet in 2020, they plummeted to record lows, and bond holders who held tight all that time were handsomely rewarded.

Not arguing for bonds, just pointing out that what seems inevitable is sometimes just an illusion.

Now that I said that, I would like to point out BlackRock agrees with you:

"We are strategically underweight nominal government bonds as their ability to act as portfolio ballasts are diminished with yields near lower bounds and rising debt levels may eventually pose risks to the low-rate regime...We use cash to fund overweight in equities. Holding some cash makes sense, in our view, as a buffer against supply shocks driving both stocks and bonds lower."
link
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

I'm 21.

With $100k investments at age 21 you are doing very well :) .

Be wary of making long-term investing decisions based on the current "environment".

Morningstar (5/20/2019) "What's the Best Diversifier for Equity Risk?", link.

Morningstar (7/8/2020) "What's the Best Diversifier for Stocks?", link.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
slowandsteadywins

Post by slowandsteadywins »

Age 29.

100% stocks
-60% US
-40% international
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence; Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." | -Calvin Coolidge
ksualum

Post by ksualum »

Bluce wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:11 pm
ksualum wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:21 am
Bluce wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:26 am I derisked over probably a 10-year span ending up at 30/70 a few years ago (One of my rules, learned the hard way: NEVER make sudden moves with a substantial chunk -- like more than 5% or so -- of my portfolio into a different asset class.)

I'm still at 30/70 at age 70 today.

My biggest problem now is who to leave it all to; I have no kids and don't trust charities. I had a will drawn up two years ago but am not comfortable with it and am going to have another law firm review it and maybe discard the whole thing.
Interesting conundrum Bruce,
Anything you are passionate about like an alma matter or a particular field like agriculture or engineering? I have two kids but don't plan on leaving everything to them so I also have started wondering what to do with the rest . . .
I never thought I would have a problem like this. I guess I could have worse problems. :(

I don't have a college degree so that's out, and I doubt I would do something like that anyway. I've been a toolmaker all my life (self-employed since 1985 and still working) and that's not something that needs donations.

Nobody in my family needs it. I know a few women (not GFs) who have struggled all their lives. They could certainly use some help but I've kinda drifted apart from them, except for one. I don't know to what depth, but she is in pretty tough condition now. She was a hard-working waitress who destroyed her knee skiing New Year's, had surgery 3 weeks ago, will not be able to work for probably 2 more months. Dunno. She's young enough to be my daughter and then some, so it's not a romantic thing. But that has nothing to do with my will. She has a father so I probably couldn't adopt her, lol.
Well, it sounds like a nice problem to have . . . I don't normally recommend books to people, but I recently read Die with Zero by Bill Perkins:
https://www.diewithzerobook.com/welcome
It was quite enlightening. I didn't drink all the Kool aid in the book, but I think he has some good points throughout the book. Perhaps it is time for you to take that great big vacation all over the world and treat yourself . . . . :wink:
Bluce

Post by Bluce »

ksualum wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:18 am Well, it sounds like a nice problem to have . . . I don't normally recommend books to people, but I recently read Die with Zero by Bill Perkins:
https://www.diewithzerobook.com/welcome

It was quite enlightening. I didn't drink all the Kool aid in the book, but I think he has some good points throughout the book. Perhaps it is time for you to take that great big vacation all over the world and treat yourself . . . . :wink:
Heh, I read "Die Broke" some years ago, I'm guessing your book is similar. I clicked the link and will investigate it more.

I'm not really interested in traveling.

I have a 2007 Corvette and was thinking of trading it for a new one. It wouldn't set me back enough financially to change my life any, but I'm just paranoid of touching any of my principle, and will probably croak with all of it still there. Or if I get the will to spend some in a few years on a new Vette, I probably wouldn't be physically able to get in and out of it.

Decisions, decisions. :(
"There are no new ideas, only forgotten ones." -- Amity Shlaes
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Bluce wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:32 pmI have a 2007 Corvette and was thinking of trading it for a new one. It wouldn't set me back enough financially to change my life any, but I'm just paranoid of touching any of my principle, and will probably croak with all of it still there. Or if I get the will to spend some in a few years on a new Vette, I probably wouldn't be physically able to get in and out of it.
Get the new Corvette now, if that's your dream car.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
txhill

Post by txhill »

This might be fun for the sake of posterity.

Ages 37 (me) & 36 (wife). Probably could retire in under 10 years at our current pace, but we enjoy our jobs, at least most of the time.

Investment Portfolio (not counting equity in our house or our small emergency fund of 1-2 months of expenses in cash):
- 85% U.S. equities: all S&P 500 / Total Stock. Until Feb 2021, had 25% of equities in VGT/QQQ (tech focused funds), but now fully in VFIAX/VTSAX.
- 12% Bitcoin / 3% Ether. This started as a small “fun money” investment but has grown. I probably will add to these positions over the near term.

Looking to diversify up to 10-20% of equities into emerging markets or possibly a broader international fund in late 2021. Not interested in bonds due to the current rate environment / concerns about high inflation not measured by CPI.
Last edited by txhill on Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bluce

Post by Bluce »

ruralavalon wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:50 pm
Bluce wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:32 pmI have a 2007 Corvette and was thinking of trading it for a new one. It wouldn't set me back enough financially to change my life any, but I'm just paranoid of touching any of my principle, and will probably croak with all of it still there. Or if I get the will to spend some in a few years on a new Vette, I probably wouldn't be physically able to get in and out of it.
Get the new Corvette now, if that's your dream car.
Thanks! :D

I think. :(
"There are no new ideas, only forgotten ones." -- Amity Shlaes
Boglebiker

Post by Boglebiker »

91/9 stocks/bonds.
75/25 US/International.

I did things a little backwards by first buying sufficient bonds to last me a couple of years as an emergency fund, after that I’ve been buying mostly stocks, plus the max in I-Bonds each calendar year. This has shifted my AA to the more aggressive side, but still leaves me with a stable set of funds during turmoil that I can sleep well. While March 2020 was certainly nauseating, I was able to stay the course, and even bought some more stocks. I do intend on buying more bonds as I near retirement, I just haven’t quite figured out when that will be. The other thought I have had is to keep plowing money into stocks until I reach “my number”, and then switch to putting 50/50 stocks/bonds until I don’t feel like working anymore. :sharebeer
rockpooperscissors

Post by rockpooperscissors »

25, 100k,
300% stocks (3x leveraged etf)
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Welcome to the forum :) .

rockpooperscissors wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:40 pm 25, 100k,
Will you be eligible for a substantial pension? Do you have a large multi-year emergency fund?
Nebraska_Drought

Post by Nebraska_Drought »

48 here and my DW is 45. We have about $1.1M in retirement savings and that is split:

75% equities (90% US)
25% bonds

I'd like to get to 70/30 in the next 5 years and 65/35 in the 5 years after that. At that point, we will settle in on a path to retirement, at 62 for me and 59 for her.
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

ruralavalon wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:14 pm Welcome to the forum :) .

Will you be eligible for a substantial pension? Do you have a large multi-year emergency fund?
Or just very young and have tons of human capital going forward :wink:
xraygoggles

Post by xraygoggles »

Age 35, 2M, 90% VTI 10% VTEB.

I don't count any of my speculative/private holdings in this AA.
Simplicity is the key to brilliance - Vti & chill.
rockpooperscissors

Post by rockpooperscissors »

Young with relatively high risk tolerance but not high enough to pick individual stocks.
jarjarM wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:34 pm

jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

rockpooperscissors wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:19 pm Young with relatively high risk tolerance but not high enough to pick individual stocks.

I hope you not planning on buy and hold for 30 years. There's almost an guarantee of 80-90% drawdown in the future, we just don't know when. Good luck :beer
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

rockpooperscissors wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:19 pm Young with relatively high risk tolerance but not high enough to pick individual stocks.

Good luck with that :)
danbdzs

Post by danbdzs »

60% Stocks (70% Us 30% Ex-Us)
12% Private business
12% Private loans
10% Real Estate
5% Bonds
1% Crypto

Interestingly the two "Private" allocations carry the most risk but also have returned the most. Thought it's interesting to see that unfolding in a relatively short time period.
Last edited by danbdzs on Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StartedAt22

Post by StartedAt22 »

AA:
14% cash
80% domestic equity
6% international equity

I don't generally consider cash part of my "portfolio", but I do include it in my overall asset allocation. Actively adding to the international equity portion to bring it closer to my desired AA. Can't rebalance due to funds available in my 401k's.
A task begun is nearly half complete | Enough is as good as a feast | Risk: Ensure your goals can be met even under worst case scenario and be realistic.
poker27

Post by poker27 »

Some aggressive portfolios here!

34, 85 stocks, 15 bonds. I use to be 75/25 ish before I paid off my mortgage.
billthecat

Post by billthecat »

Age 52

58.6% Total stock
20.7% Total bond
14.7% Home equity (est.) (will convert to total bond upon sale at retirement)
6.0% Cash
We cannot direct the winds but we can adjust our sails • It's later than you think • Ack! Thbbft!
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

delete
Last edited by Corsair on Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
All posts are my own opinions and are not financial advice.
slowandsteadywins

Post by slowandsteadywins »

Age 29

US Stock (VTI): 54%
Intl. Stock (VXUS): 36%

STOCK: 90%
BOND: 10%

US Bonds (BND): 7%
Intl. Bonds (BNDX): 3%
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence; Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." | -Calvin Coolidge
absolute zero

Post by absolute zero »

slowandsteadywins wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:16 am Age 29

US Stock (VTI): 54%
Intl. Stock (VXUS): 36%

STOCK: 90%
BOND: 10%

US Bonds (BND): 7%
Intl. Bonds (BNDX): 3%
Where are the missing 10% of your stocks hiding?

EDIT: I’m incapable of basic math, apparently.
Escapevelocity

Post by Escapevelocity »

Age 54 - 50/50 allocation rising equity glide path to 60/40
mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek »

US Stock: 70%
International Stock: 20%
US Bonds: 10%

Not including cash that I consider outside of my investment portfolio. Trying to decide when to transition to 85/15 or 80/20. Probably not for at least 5 more years.
UsualLine

Post by UsualLine »

US Stock: 38%
International Stock: 54%
US Bonds: 18%

My portfolio looks out of whack because I bought shares in MercadoLibre in 2008 and a few times since and have not sold any. I also do a mild form of HEDGEFUNDIE's Adventure (targeting 80/80 stock/bond) with part of my portfolio. Overall it works out to being 110% invested.
BalancedJCB19

Post by BalancedJCB19 »

56 turning 57 in June
Wife 61

My entire portfolio is in the Vanguard Balanced Index Fund (60/40) (IRA)

My new 401K I started 2 years ago when I started a new job will eventually get rolled over to my IRA (the 401k is also 60/40)

I will hold this fund for my entire natural life
yoga

Post by yoga »

yoga wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:54 am 39/40
Switched from 100% equities to 85/15 this month. New contributions are still all equities, will monitor how fast this moves and comfort level as the year goes on.
Same age still, down to 80/20 this week. Will probably hold here over summer. Thinking about a move to 70/30 in the next year.
Twiggsapproved

What’s your age, AA and #?

Post by Twiggsapproved »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

What is your age, your asset allocation and how close are you to hitting your “number” where you will gain financial independence and/or retirement?

I am 54, 62/30/8% cash. We are about $300k away from our goal.

I would like to see how others are in similar circumstances. I feel too conservative at times, others too aggressive, so maybe as JB stated I’m just about right on AA.
jarjarM

Re: What’s your age, AA and #?

Post by jarjarM »

Twiggsapproved wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:04 pm What is your age, your asset allocation and how close are you to hitting your “number” where you will gain financial independence and/or retirement?

I would like to see how others are in similar circumstances. I feel too conservative at times, others too aggressive, so maybe as JB stated I’m just about right on AA.
There's already a whole thread on this.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=324381
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

Twiggsapproved wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:04 pm What is your age, your asset allocation and how close are you to hitting your “number” where you will gain financial independence and/or retirement?

36, 75/25, past our number
Earned 43 (and counting) credit hours of financial planning related education from a regionally accredited university, but I am not your advisor.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

52, 60/35/5, at the goal.
bstewie

Post by bstewie »

31, 90/10, nowhere near goal but on track. when i was younger i took a non-trivial sum of my assets and tried to start a business which did not succeed. my goal is $4m.
calmaniac

Post by calmaniac »

63; 70/30; 11 years past FI, still working full-time

Work can be incredibly liberating when you are doing it by choice and not because you have to. Hard to complain when quitting IS an option.
"Pretired", working 20 h/wk. AA 75/25: 30% TSM, 19% value (VFVA/AVUV), 18% Int'l LC, 8% emerging, 25% GFund/VBTLX. Military pension ≈60% of expenses. Pension+SS@age 70 ≈100% of expenses.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged Twiggsapproved's thread into the ongoing discussion. The combined thread is in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
steve r

Post by steve r »

poker27 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:22 am Economy makes me want to buy more bonds, interest rates makes me want to buy stocks. :oops:
+1 :oops:
"Owning the stock market over the long term is a winner's game. Attempting to beat the market is a loser's game. ..Don't look for the needle in the haystack. Just buy the haystack." Jack Bogle
Engaging in sloth

What is your asset allocation and age, are you retired?

Post by Engaging in sloth »

[Merged into existing discussion -- moderator oldcomputerguy]

DH 60 DW 61, both retired. AA 30/70 (cash not bonds). DW has pension. Strongly considering increasing equity position to an AA of 40/60.

How about you folks? What is your asset allocation and age, are you retired?

Greatly looking forward to your responses fellow Bogleheads.

Thank you :D
iceport

Re: What is your asset allocation and age, are you retired?

Post by iceport »

59, retired, pension, target fixed (i.e. "permanent") AA: 56% equity/44% fixed income (largely in a high-yielding stable value fund)

For what it's worth, I do believe a higher equity allocation than 30% is warranted these days, with fixed income yielding so very little. This is especially true for us early retirees.

Negative bond returns this year notwithstanding, 70% in cash must produce a mighty strong cash drag; more importantly, it probably exposes you to a significant risk of purchasing power loss to inflation.

(Your username made me look, LOL! I was hoping to see an avatar. :shock: :D )
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
Candor

Post by Candor »

53 years old. 55/45 AA. Retired as of last Friday. No pension.
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
jello_nailer

Post by jello_nailer »

Candor wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:25 pm 53 years old. 55/45 AA. Retired as of last Friday. No pension.
64 yo. 80/0 with 20% cash. No bond barbell. April 30 was my last day. No pension.
mattshwink

Post by mattshwink »

46 and 43. Both still working. Target AA is:
53% VTSAX (Total Domestic Stock Market)
26% VTIAX (Total International Stock Market)
12% VBTLX (Total Bond Market)
9% VGSLX (REIT)