International is in meltdown

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
case_of_ennui

Re: International is in meltdown

Post by case_of_ennui »

Nathan Drake wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:20 am International destroying US today

Time to go all in and get out of US completely thanks to this outperformance, Jack Ma said that he doesn’t think US stocks are necessary
I get enough diversification from holding the 7397 international companies in VTIAX. They all do business with the US so why do I need US equities? When Jack Ma said to own the entire haystack he only meant the ex-US haystack.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

case_of_ennui wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:47 am

Time to go all in and get out of US completely thanks to this outperformance, Jack Ma said that he doesn’t think US stocks are necessary
I get enough diversification from holding the 7397 international companies in VTIAX. They all do business with the US so why do I need US equities? When Jack Ma said to own the entire haystack he only meant the ex-US haystack.
U.S. consumes plenty of Hondas, Toyotas, Nestle food products, Samsung electronics. So much revenue is derived from the U.S. that U.S. stocks wouldn't add meaningful diversification!

:twisted: :oops:
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

US small-caps are destroying international, which is, in turn, being destroyed by Disney.
SeasOfCheese

Post by SeasOfCheese »

Does holding SPCE at 30% count?

40% US / 30% global ex-US / 30% ex-planet
aruba joe

Post by aruba joe »

Robot Monster wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:56 am

US small-caps are destroying international, which is, in turn, being destroyed by Disney.
What is the best way to estimate what a Total International index fund is doing during the day?
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

aruba joe wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:06 pm

What is the best way to estimate what a Total International index fund is doing during the day?
Look at what the ETF version is doing, which is VXUS. Doesn't correspond exactly, perhaps.
aruba joe

Post by aruba joe »

Robot Monster wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:10 pm
aruba joe wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:06 pm

Look at what the ETF version is doing, which is VXUS. Doesn't correspond exactly, perhaps.
Thanks
thenextguy

Post by thenextguy »

Not a market timer, but if I was I would be inclined to overweight international right about now.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:51 am

U.S. consumes plenty of Hondas, Toyotas, Nestle food products, Samsung electronics. So much revenue is derived from the U.S. that U.S. stocks wouldn't add meaningful diversification!

Home bias, idol worship(own the haystack, except for ex-us), personal and political ideologies and recency bias(performance chasing) is a helluva drug!
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
burritoLover

Post by burritoLover »

lostdog wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:53 am
Triple digit golfer wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:51 am

Home bias, idol worship(own the haystack, except for ex-us), personal and political ideologies and recency bias(performance chasing) is a helluva drug!
Nice summation. :)
gubernaculum

Post by gubernaculum »

I personally dont think that international is worth it when USA controls over 60% of currency flow and dictates what it wants with politics and military. Asia is the only other place to look at for potential growth, but outside of that, I dont see anyone coming close to USA for the next decade or so.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

gubernaculum wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:02 am I personally dont think that international is worth it when USA controls over 60% of currency flow and dictates what it wants with politics and military. Asia is the only other place to look at for potential growth, but outside of that, I dont see anyone coming close to USA for the next decade or so.
So international is good as long as its Asia?

If Asia outperforms Europe, Latam, etc, it will rightfull hold its place at the top of the international cap weighted index.

I'm fine with that!
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

Lol, I think Jack Ma was reminded not long ago that China does not think that Jack Ma is necessary...
DB2

Post by DB2 »

lostdog wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:53 am
+1