Why not 100% PSLDX? [PIMCO StocksPLUS Long Duration Fund]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
RosieQ

Re: Why not 100% PSLDX?

Post by RosieQ »

Long bonds/treasuries got crushed today. Will be interesting to see if PSLDX will keep up with inflation and rising rates. I'm expecting some mild underperformance ie 3-5% underperformance over the next 1-2 years and then a switch and continued outperformance long term- but one can never be sure when this may be so better to stay invested. Any other bets?
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

TMF was 22 last spring, 26 now, so it's not ridiculously low. It can get crushed but then it bounces back. We'll see.

Certainly not going to be a good day overall for PSLDX.
This time is the same
Rainier

Post by Rainier »

Sorry if I missed it in the previous 1250 posts but what is the allocation of this fund?

Just trying to figure out how to incorporate this into my overall allocation. I understand NTSX in that you can get a 60/40 portfolio by only I vesting 66% of your money. How does it work for PSLDX?
DMoogle

Post by DMoogle »

Rainier wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:36 am Sorry if I missed it in the previous 1250 posts but what is the allocation of this fund?

Just trying to figure out how to incorporate this into my overall allocation. I understand NTSX in that you can get a 60/40 portfolio by only I vesting 66% of your money. How does it work for PSLDX?
NTSX is 60/40 leveraged up to 90/60 (1.5x). PSLDX is 50/50 leveraged up to 100/100 (2x).
ChinchillaWhiplash

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash »

Rainier wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:36 am Sorry if I missed it in the previous 1250 posts but what is the allocation of this fund?

Basically 200/200. Holds world bonds and leverages 2x Equity. Bonds also 2x holdings. So similar to HFEA and self balances with 2x returns.
DMoogle

Post by DMoogle »

Worth noting that, although the equity holdings are similar, the bond composition is a lot different. NTSX is entirely treasuries across different durations that end up in a weighted average of like 6 years IIRC (it's definitely in the ITT range). PSLDX holds a lot of treasuries, but they also have some corporate bonds, global exposure, and use a lot of swaps. I don't think they do a very good job of articulating at a medium-to-high level what the bond strategy is for this fund, but you can download a list of all the underlying holdings on their website.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

100/100 is correct.

The secondary benchmark is very interesting and tells you about what you want to know:
S&P 500 Index + Bloomberg Long-Term Government/Credit Index - 3 Month LIBOR

Obviously the derivatives have a cost associated, so there can be some extra leverage in there to try to keep up with this benchmark. And it keeps up pretty well.

The prospectus is pretty interesting. Everything from Argentinian bonds yielding >50% to (at times) S&P return swaps with a negative street value.
Last edited by firebirdparts on Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
This time is the same
dr_roboto

Post by dr_roboto »

What are your opinions on including PISIX (PIMCO StocksPLUS International Fund USD hedged) or PSKIX (PIMCO StocksPLUS International Fund Unhedged) given rising interest rates and forecasts of outperformance by international markets? I know no one has a crystal ball but I'm curious. It's been two years since these funds were first mentioned on page 1 of this thread.
LeoB

Post by LeoB »

I am actually thinking of buying PSPTX (PIMCO StocksPLUS Absolute Return) and PSKIX (PIMCO StocksPLUS Unhedged International) too in a Roth IRA. Assuming you believe in PIMCO’s bond active management, I think they should be a safer bet than StocksPLUS funds like PSLDX with only long bonds.

On a related note, where would people suggest buying this family of funds? I emailed Ally Invest, and they said these institutional shares aren’t available in IRAs. However, this seems to contradict information I’ve seen elsewhere on Bogleheads, where people say they’ve purchased StocksPLUS funds for a $100 minimum initial investment at Ally.

Can anyone confirm based on their own recent experience? I want to know where I should move my IRA to access these PIMCO funds. Thanks!
RussellWilson

Post by RussellWilson »

LeoB wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:35 pm I am actually thinking of buying PSPTX (PIMCO StocksPLUS Absolute Return) and PSKIX (PIMCO StocksPLUS Unhedged International) too in a Roth IRA. Assuming you believe in PIMCO’s bond active management, I think they should be a safer bet than StocksPLUS funds like PSLDX with only long bonds.

On a related note, where would people suggest buying this family of funds? I emailed Ally Invest, and they said these institutional shares aren’t available in IRAs. However, this seems to contradict information I’ve seen elsewhere on Bogleheads, where people say they’ve purchased StocksPLUS funds for a $100 minimum initial investment at Ally.

Can anyone confirm based on their own recent experience? I want to know where I should move my IRA to access these PIMCO funds. Thanks!
Schwab has $1000 min on PSLDX with a transaction fee that seems to vanish on orders below $100. Not sure about the others (They might be at Schwab, haven't tried)
CletusCaddy

Post by CletusCaddy »

LeoB wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:35 pm I am actually thinking of buying PSPTX (PIMCO StocksPLUS Absolute Return) and PSKIX (PIMCO StocksPLUS Unhedged International) too in a Roth IRA. Assuming you believe in PIMCO’s bond active management, I think they should be a safer bet than StocksPLUS funds like PSLDX with only long bonds.
I asked this exact question earlier in this thread and got poo-poo’ed on by the regulars.

Since then PSPTX has outperformed PSLDX by 2% CAGR.

First thing Tuesday morning I’m exchanging 1/3 of my PSLDX for PSPTX.
LeoB

Post by LeoB »

CletusCaddy wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:30 pm
I asked this exact question earlier in this thread and got poo-poo’ed on by the regulars.

Yeah I’m not going to pretend I fully understand how PIMCO runs these funds, but it seems that PSLDX outperformed in the past partially thanks to the tailwind of falling interest rates helping its long-term bonds. I just don’t think the same will be true going forward. I think PSPTX has more flexibility in the duration of its bond holdings. Of course, I won’t mind if someone with more knowledge can correct me. Right now, I don’t hold any of these PIMCO funds.

What brokerage do you use for PSLDX and PSPTX? I saw someone above mentioned Schwab, so I’ll check that out. I’m still looking for options for where to transfer my Roth IRA though.
CletusCaddy

Post by CletusCaddy »

LeoB wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:45 pm

Yeah I’m not going to pretend I fully understand how PIMCO runs these funds, but it seems that PSLDX outperformed in the past partially thanks to the tailwind of falling interest rates helping its long-term bonds. I just don’t think the same will be true going forward. I think PSPTX has more flexibility in the duration of its bond holdings. Of course, I won’t mind if someone with more knowledge can correct me. Right now, I don’t hold any of these PIMCO funds.

What brokerage do you use for PSLDX and PSPTX? I saw someone above mentioned Schwab, so I’ll check that out. I’m still looking for options for where to transfer my Roth IRA though.
I use Schwab
Booogle

Post by Booogle »

Why not PCFIX:

https://www.pimco.com/en-us/investments ... -fund/inst
CletusCaddy

Post by CletusCaddy »

Booogle wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:00 pm

Why not PCFIX:

https://www.pimco.com/en-us/investments ... -fund/inst
Because it performs identically to my preferred SCV fund, AVUV

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/fun ... hmark=AVUV
NMBob

Post by NMBob »

the absolute ptoax and unhedged international ppuax are available in their class A fee structure, with the class A fee then waived and no transaction fee at schwab, and 100 dollar minimum. that is different than psldx at schwab that has a transaction fee.
Baconator

Post by Baconator »

I’m also interested in the international offerings in the StocksPlus family. My thought process is that I like the valuations better in the EAFE than I do the S&P 500. Not sure whether to go unhedged or hedged, I was thinking unhedged just to add more diversification but the performance for hedged has been better in the past due to the strength of the dollar.

Anyone thinking along these lines? The tickers are PSKIX / PISIX
LeoB

Post by LeoB »

Baconator wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:18 pm I’m also interested in the international offerings in the StocksPlus family. My thought process is that I like the valuations better in the EAFE than I do the S&P 500. Not sure whether to go unhedged or hedged, I was thinking unhedged just to add more diversification but the performance for hedged has been better in the past due to the strength of the dollar.

Anyone thinking along these lines? The tickers are PSKIX / PISIX
I would probably go with the unhedged version, PSKIX. I would think that if you aren’t concerned about equity volatility, you might want exposure to currency risk for diversification. In Vanguard’s own funds, they usually leave international stocks unhedged and just hedge their international bond funds.

I remember reading a couple of papers by Vanguard from a few years ago about currency hedging and international equities. Here’s one. https://corporate.vanguard.com/content/ ... Online.pdf

On page 8, they said:

“Those with a long investment horizon who are comfortable with equity’s high potential return and volatility may be disposed to accept short-term currency volatility. Those with shorter horizons or an explicit objective to minimize volatility may prefer to hedge the currency risk.”
LeoB

Post by LeoB »

NMBob wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:20 pm

the absolute ptoax and unhedged international ppuax are available in their class A fee structure, with the class A fee then waived and no transaction fee at schwab, and 100 dollar minimum. that is different than psldx at schwab that has a transaction fee.
Thanks for the info! I did see the load-waived class A shares at both Fidelity and Schwab, when I searched earlier. I’m just trying to save on the expense ratio with the institutional shares if I can get them haha. I think it’s 1.05% vs 0.64% or something.

My Vanguard account shows it’s available for $25k minimum. I just don’t feel like reallocating that much into this strategy right now. But if I can’t get the institutional ones at a lower minimum, I’ll probably just put a little money in the class A’s like you said.
Baconator

Post by Baconator »

I was doing some more research on the StocksPlus family of funds. One thing I noticed is that PSLDX is the only one in the group that has a duration greater than 1 year. PSLDX has a duration of 15. So it's really apples and oranges.

Part of the appeal to me about the PSLDX fund is it's an automated risk-parity fund where the hope is long bonds are inversely correlated to beta and they absorb some volatility. In this case, it appears the S&P 500 offering is the only PIMCO collateral pairing with the long duration bonds.

I think I may go with NTSI instead for a leveraged international play (90/60) with intermediate term treasuries
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

I guess I have nobody to blame but myself for not reading the prospectus of PSPTX "Absolute Return" but it's obviously tracking the S&P500. it seems like they're not actually doing anything. When you google "Absolute Return" it sounds like generally you just do whatever you want and call it "Absolute Return". It doesn't have any definition except for a sort of wishful thinking definition.

When PIMCO was briefly available in Fido, I bought some PSPTX, and also the small cap Stocksplus product (providentially inspired to act quickly, I guess - I've benefited greatly), but after reflection further on how these funds performed, I sold it later and just kept the PSLDX. I am not a skeptic of absolute return philosophy, because I don't even know what it is, but I just don't see in this case that there's any evidence of lower volatility (I don't care) nor outperformance (I care a lot). So personally, I sold it. Now, it might suddenly start doing something, and if it does, great. Or, it could do nothing, while PSLDX gets hit by rising rates, and that would also be great. It outperformed the S&P500 for some time 10 years ago, but not since. for many years now it's the same return as S&P500 but somehow it is more volatile.
This time is the same
DMoogle

Post by DMoogle »

firebirdparts wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:57 am I guess I have nobody to blame but myself for not reading the prospectus of PSPTX "Absolute Return" but it's obviously tracking the S&P500. it seems like they're not actually doing anything. When you google "Absolute Return" it sounds like generally you just do whatever you want and call it "Absolute Return". It doesn't have any definition except for a sort of wishful thinking definition.

When PIMCO was briefly available in Fido, I bought some PSPTX, and also the small cap Stocksplus product (providentially inspired to act quickly, I guess - I've benefited greatly), but after reflection further on how these funds performed, I sold it later and just kept the PSLDX. I am not a skeptic of absolute return philosophy, because I don't even know what it is, but I just don't see in this case that there's any evidence of lower volatility (I don't care) nor outperformance (I care a lot). So personally, I sold it. Now, it might suddenly start doing something, and if it does, great. Or, it could do nothing, while PSLDX gets hit by rising rates, and that would also be great. It outperformed the S&P500 for some time 10 years ago, but not since. for many years now it's the same return as S&P500 but somehow it is more volatile.
I think of the concept like comparing a 60/40 to a 100/0 portfolio. 60/40 has stronger risk-adjusted returns, whereas 100/0 will have worse risk-adjusted returns, but higher absolute returns.

PSLDX theoretically should give stronger risk-adjusted returns, and PSPTX should have better absolute returns. THAT SAID, looks like there are plenty of bond holdings in PSPTX oddly enough, and given the bull market we've been in... I'm also pretty bewildered by PSPTX's underperformance vs. S&P500. The holdings include futures and swaps, they're obviously no stranger to leverage... really not sure what they're doing here.
LeoB

Post by LeoB »

firebirdparts wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:57 am I guess I have nobody to blame but myself for not reading the prospectus of PSPTX "Absolute Return" but it's obviously tracking the S&P500. it seems like they're not actually doing anything. When you google "Absolute Return" it sounds like generally you just do whatever you want and call it "Absolute Return". It doesn't have any definition except for a sort of wishful thinking definition.

I wouldn't say funds like PSPTX are just tracking the S&P 500 or doing "nothing." I could be wrong, but my understanding is that both PSLDX and PSPTX use a portion of their portfolio to gain 100% exposure to the S&P 500 through futures and swaps. Then they use the rest of the portfolio in actively managed fixed income instruments as collateral and in attempt to gain alpha over the S&P 500. The main difference between the funds is that PSLDX uses longer duration fixed income, while PSPTX has flexibility between -3 and 8 years for its bond duration. Their fixed income portfolios are different. Given the longer duration fixed income in PSLDX, it could probably lose more to rising rates like you said.

Why has PSPTX performed similarly to the S&P 500 with more volatility recently? I'm no expert so I'm not totally sure, but here's my guess. PSPTX probably holds a decent sized chunk of lower credit corporate bonds. That would add volatility on top of their S&P 500 exposure. Although better than long-term bonds, their shorter duration bonds probably haven't been doing so well recently either. Even if you look at short-term corporates like VCSH, they're down about 0.6% in 2021. I guess in good years for PIMCO's fixed income portfolio these funds will outperform the S&P 500. In bad years they won't fare as well.
RussellWilson

Post by RussellWilson »

This is a silly question but Schwab has a silly fee system for PSLDX...

Orders below 100: free

Large orders: $50

Between that, not really sure, maybe a percentage... for example a $100 order has an $8.5 fee.

So my question is, say I give myself carpal tunnel by submitting a bunch of $99 orders. Each one states a $0.00 fee. Is there any chance Schwab can bundle them together and assess a fee, or determine that I'm violating some sort of rule by doing this and put me in the penalty box?
spencydub

Post by spencydub »

Can anyone please confirm the Schwab DOES NOT charge a transaction fee for purchases under $100?
Booogle

Post by Booogle »

RussellWilson wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:29 pm This is a silly question but Schwab has a silly fee system for PSLDX...

Orders below 100: free

Large orders: $50

Between that, not really sure, maybe a percentage... for example a $100 order has an $8.5 fee.

So my question is, say I give myself carpal tunnel by submitting a bunch of $99 orders. Each one states a $0.00 fee. Is there any chance Schwab can bundle them together and assess a fee, or determine that I'm violating some sort of rule by doing this and put me in the penalty box?

spencydub wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:14 am Can anyone please confirm the Schwab DOES NOT charge a transaction fee for purchases under $100?

You all are going to crash the system doing this dumb stuff.
radix

Post by radix »

I can confirm that I did this on Schwab for up to 20-30 orders on one day and they did not bundle the order or assess a fee. I do this bi weekly with my 401k contributions (around 9 orders).

Thanks
spencydub

Post by spencydub »

radix wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:12 pm I can confirm that I did this on Schwab for up to 20-30 orders on one day and they did not bundle the order or assess a fee. I do this bi weekly with my 401k contributions (around 9 orders).

Thanks
Do you know if this is true for auto deposits?
ChinchillaWhiplash

spencydub wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:32 pm
radix wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:12 pm I can confirm that I did this on Schwab for up to 20-30 orders on one day and they did not bundle the order or assess a fee. I do this bi weekly with my 401k contributions (around 9 orders).

Thanks
Do you know if this is true for auto deposits?
Don’t know but I did a swap of funds for $95.50 worth and there was no fee. Doing one swap a day. All I can say is it would probably work. Try it once and see.
TXGator

Post by TXGator »

With PSLDX starting off not so hot any thoughts on how the March distributions would look?
mt2k

Post by mt2k »

PSLDX is available at eTrade with $20 transaction fee. No minimum or maximum.
airshow

Post by airshow »

Anybody buying?

closed today at $6.77 Down 13.68 year to date.

Might be an opportunity...
kevinf

Post by kevinf »

Capital appreciation isn't really a big factor in the overall return of this fund. However, it's not the worst time to purchase if you're trying to meet the minimum buy-in though :)
airshow

Post by airshow »

Agree. Lower price means more shares per lump sum. :happy
TXGator

Post by TXGator »

This one is definitely wont where I'm clenching my teeth and not looking at the daily charts. When you see SPY go up and then TLT go down its feels like well there goes the day
OuterBanks

Post by OuterBanks »

Anyone else max their Roth IRA contribution for the year into this fund on January 3rd?
UpsetRaptor

Post by UpsetRaptor »

OuterBanks wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:44 pm Anyone else max their Roth IRA contribution for the year into this fund on January 3rd?
Yes, I do that every year. For 2022, underperforming VOO YTD by 8%. :?
mroe800

Post by mroe800 »

OuterBanks wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:44 pm Anyone else max their Roth IRA contribution for the year into this fund on January 3rd?

Yup. :oops:
armastevs

Post by armastevs »

Everyday that bonds get slaughtered they take forever to post their daily mutual fund price. Usually it happens at 5:00 p.m. EST but they are 2 hours late now this can't be good.

Edit:. Does anyone know why $pimx has had such a bad week? Usually they don't go down this much.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

If you’re talking about PSLDX, I look at my fidelity account and they never update it before 630. So it all looks normal to me. Are you looking at Pimco? Or where?

It never occurred to me that it wasn’t Pimco that was slow every day.
This time is the same
armastevs

Post by armastevs »

I'm looking at the price of $PSLDX in Vanguard, it's STILL not updated yet!

Edit:. Not a bad day in performance today. Only a -0.74 drop.
Usually the price is about $SPY + $BLV so 2.61−1.8= -0.81, so $PSLDX actually outperformed that.
LearnFin

Post by LearnFin »

Yep. I am not even looking at the performance. How bad is it compared to S&P ?
kevinf

Post by kevinf »

PIMCO STOCKPLUS LONG DURATION INST (PSLDX)
$6.71 -0.05 (-0.74%)

VANGUARD INDEX FUNDS VANGUARD TOTAL STK MKT ETF (VTI)
$221.85 +4.13 (+1.90%)

WISDOMTREE TRUST U S EFFICIENT CORE FUND (NTSX)
$40.17 +0.36 (+0.90%)
Booogle

Post by Booogle »

I wish I bought MAFIX or BLNDX, instead of PSLDX. :oops:

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/bac ... ion3_3=100
OuterBanks

Post by OuterBanks »

Cheer up everyone. VTSAX down -1.0% today yet PSLDX up 0.15%.
ChinchillaWhiplash

Painful day for those holding PSKIX :oops: Dropped 3.61%. Good day to buy though
Radiata

Post by Radiata »

Booogle wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:21 am I wish I bought MAFIX or BLNDX, instead of PSLDX. :oops:
Why would you fundamentally want MAFIX? It has an expense ratio of 1.8% and looks to have less overall leverage. I suppose it does have slightly higher Sharpe, but it seems like there are other ways to accomplish that without paying 1.8% for it.

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/bac ... ion3_3=100
Booogle

Post by Booogle »

Radiata wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:25 am Why would you fundamentally want MAFIX? It has an expense ratio of 1.8% and looks to have less overall leverage. I suppose it does have slightly higher Sharpe, but it seems like there are other ways to accomplish that without paying 1.8% for it.

Inflation may continue to favor MAFIX over PSLDX as it has from 2021-present:

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/bac ... ion2_2=100

And when you mix managed futures and equities you will always have much less drawdown than PSLDX:

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/bac ... ion2_2=100
InvestInPasta

Post by InvestInPasta »

I was looking at the chart of PSLDX, this is what is shown by Google

Since the performace is execellent it means that PIMCO is basically turning the performance of the fund into dividends.
Is there a fiscal reason why PIMCO has made the choice to turn all the gain into dividends instead of incorporating them into the fund price?
When I study English I am lazier than my portfolio. Feel free to fix my English and investing mistakes.
Booogle

Post by Booogle »

InvestInPasta wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:09 am Is there a fiscal reason why PIMCO has made the choice to turn all the gain into dividends instead of incorporating them into the fund price?
Its not a choice.

Any fund that has a lot of derivatives will pay out huge distributions.