What do you guys think about a career in insurance sales?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
furikake

Re: What do you guys think about a career in insurance sales?

Post by furikake »

What about being a fitness coach at Peloton? I see new coaches popping up from time to time on the app, and they're all over the globe.
oldzey

Post by oldzey »

willthrill81 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:07 am
stormcrow wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:43 am
willthrill81 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:25 pm Universities are not doing students most students a service by offering these programs
Isn't that the damn truth. It's hard to do as a kid, but having a career in mind that the degree will lead to is remarkably missing in what is conveyed to students.
To be honest, many of the majors that most universities offer are probably of equal or lesser value than one in sports management. A degree in 16th century French poetry doesn't typically have strong job prospects.
Agreed. A candidate with two degrees pertaining to management (hospitality and sports) would seem to me to be attractive to many employers.

Hope the following information from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics is useful to the OP:

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/Sales/Insurance ... agents.htm

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/personal-care-a ... uctors.htm

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/Management/Lodging-managers.htm

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/Management/Food ... nagers.htm
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman
WJW

Post by WJW »

A friend of mine is in insurance. She is a manager and insures One Word Trade Center. She does really well financially, travels a lot and I always see pics of her on ski slopes and other interesting places while traveling for business...
Last edited by WJW on Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

As other's said, avoid!

Exceptions would be if your family owns an agency. Or, selling commercial products.

Source: Close family member tried it for several years.
smectym

Post by smectym »

willthrill81 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:25 pm Universities are not doing students most students a service by offering these programs
Isn't that the damn truth. It's hard to do as a kid, but having a career in mind that the degree will lead to is remarkably missing in what is conveyed to students.
To be honest, many of the majors that most universities offer are probably of equal or lesser value than one in sports management. A degree in 16th century French poetry doesn't typically have strong job prospects.
"value" doesn't always = "strong job prospects," and the idea that a university degree must or "really ought to" necessarily have a trade-school-style connection to some future employment, unless perhaps in academia, is a recent, American, and philistine preconception. And 16th c. French poetry is a solid pre-law major. To the extent it entails study of late-medieval/early modern French, thus evincing a flair for modern languages, it might even be a plus for a career in intelligence.
Agreed, standing alone, that degree it won't get you a job as an auto mechanic, "coder," or insurance salesman
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

smectym wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:15 pm
"value" doesn't always = "strong job prospects," and the idea that a university degree must or "really ought to" necessarily have a trade-school-style connection to some future employment, unless perhaps in academia, is a recent, American, and philistine preconception. And 16th c. French poetry is a solid pre-law major. To the extent it entails study of late-medieval/early modern French, thus evincing a flair for modern languages, it might even be a plus for a career in intelligence.
Agreed, standing alone, that degree it won't get you a job as an auto mechanic, "coder," or insurance salesman
Until about WW2, the fairly widespread notion of a attaining a university degree was, as you note, primarily one of personal development and self actualization. But for the bulk of the last ~75 years, the overwhelming majority of college students have been there because they believe it will help them earn more than if they weren't or at least get a job that they couldn't otherwise attain. There are still some who are there for 'personal development', but they are in the decided minority.
The Sensible Steward
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

smectym wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:15 pm
Honest question for those constantly discussing the benefits of the "college experience" not related to opening doors in the workforce: at current costs, do you believe college is a cost-effective means to experiencing these "benefits" ? I never hear about these secondary benefits of college from individuals whose college experience did not result in increased opportunities in the workforce.
Busdrvr

Post by Busdrvr »

ebrasmus21 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:09 pm OP -

Make sure you understand that the tone of some of these posts come across as smearing an entire industry. While I wouldn’t recommend becoming a seller of life insurance I would recommend commercial P&C sales. Insurance is a large industry and not all segments are created equally.

Some of the finest individuals I’ve ever met are commercial P&C sales professionals. Successful ones make A LOT of money.

Agree 100% with this post. For a time I was a licensed P&C independent agent and my Dad retired from the business. Personal lines can be a stable career with residual commissions that remain fairly stable over the years. Commercial lines are generally more lucrative, but there is more churn with businesses. Term life requires constant sales as the commissions are large up front the first year and then go nearly to zero thereafter.
Topic Author
Randyman

Post by Randyman »

fyre4ce wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:57 am What about going the CFP route? Rather than selling lousy products to people who can't afford it, you could be working with clients in a demographic you were comfortable with and making a real difference. It's a harder route, but ethically far superior, and probably has a better chance of turning into a good long-term career for you.
I am not the best with numbers of math so I figured any sort of heavy math career wouldnt go well for me, but i have not really looked into being a financial planner. I looked into being a broker recently, but that was more of a sales job in my opinion.
Topic Author
Randyman

Post by Randyman »

quantAndHold wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:56 am
randydimera wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:11 pm
Hospitality management was my bachelors, my masters is sports management, but they are in the same department. But yes I could do the mangement training program at a hotel, but it is a 1 year program making 12-15 dollars an hour. I am not sure my finances can cut that for a whole year. Id have to stay and live with my parents till I am almost 27 at that point.

The hard part is finding something that really interests me. I love fitness and I would like to be involved in the fitness industry somehow, but there arent many jobs there outside of a personal trainer of some sort.
What would the hospitality job pay after the training program?

At this point, with the background you have, pretty much any entry level thing you do is going to pay poorly for awhile. One mistake I see young people make all the time is to take a job with little long term potential because it pays okay now. Often they would be better off with a lower paying job that has better career potential. One question to ask for everything you’re considering is what will you be making in five years.
Well the management program would be at the Omni hotel and they guarantee a management position at one of their hotels across the states. However, this means it could be several states away and they do not pay anything for relocation. This is the hard part. The salary would be roughly 45k after a year. But that still doesnt seem great to me with a master's degree. But maybe I am putting too much credit on the degree I have which is basically fairly worthless.
Matigas

Post by Matigas »

If you can’t do anything else, you could always be a teacher.
fyre4ce

Post by fyre4ce »

randydimera wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:33 pm
fyre4ce wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:57 am What about going the CFP route? Rather than selling lousy products to people who can't afford it, you could be working with clients in a demographic you were comfortable with and making a real difference. It's a harder route, but ethically far superior, and probably has a better chance of turning into a good long-term career for you.
I am not the best with numbers of math so I figured any sort of heavy math career wouldnt go well for me, but i have not really looked into being a financial planner. I looked into being a broker recently, but that was more of a sales job in my opinion.
Maybe some professional planners could chime in, but I don't imagine that planning has to involve tons of math. You'd need to know how to rebalance accounts to an asset allocation and do some forecasting, but you will probably have software that would help with this. I imagine a big part of being a professional planner is convincing people to change their behavior (earn more, spend less, stop trading individual stocks, etc.) and this is an area where sales skills could make a big difference. As is often said, good finance/investing is 10% math and 90% behavior.
ctfish

Post by ctfish »

OP please reach out to me via PM regarding nuclear field and project management. I sent you a PM but maybe your inbox is full?
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

randydimera wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:42 pm
quantAndHold wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:56 am
randydimera wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:11 pm
Hospitality management was my bachelors, my masters is sports management, but they are in the same department. But yes I could do the mangement training program at a hotel, but it is a 1 year program making 12-15 dollars an hour. I am not sure my finances can cut that for a whole year. Id have to stay and live with my parents till I am almost 27 at that point.

The hard part is finding something that really interests me. I love fitness and I would like to be involved in the fitness industry somehow, but there arent many jobs there outside of a personal trainer of some sort.
What would the hospitality job pay after the training program?

At this point, with the background you have, pretty much any entry level thing you do is going to pay poorly for awhile. One mistake I see young people make all the time is to take a job with little long term potential because it pays okay now. Often they would be better off with a lower paying job that has better career potential. One question to ask for everything you’re considering is what will you be making in five years.
Well the management program would be at the Omni hotel and they guarantee a management position at one of their hotels across the states. However, this means it could be several states away and they do not pay anything for relocation. This is the hard part. The salary would be roughly 45k after a year. But that still doesnt seem great to me with a master's degree. But maybe I am putting too much credit on the degree I have which is basically fairly worthless.
Nobody cares about your masters degree in sports something, unless you can convince them that you learned something that's relevant to the job they want you to do. For example if it included some business classes.

Unless you're an engineer or something, pay at entry level jobs is terrible. To get better pay, you have to take a terrible entry level job and work at it for a few years until you have knowledge and skills that are valuable to that employer. Then they'll pay you more.
Topic Author
Randyman

Post by Randyman »

oldfatguy wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:55 pm OP, forget about what you majored in. What kinds of experience do you have? That will be far, far more important in landing your next job.
My most recent job was working at a Hyatt hotel as a front desk / cook / bartender for a year and a half. Before that, I was a sample guy at CostCo. Before that I was the front desk at a gym. That is the majority of my jobs that I stayed at for more than 3 or 4 months.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

randydimera wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:38 am
oldfatguy wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:55 pm OP, forget about what you majored in. What kinds of experience do you have? That will be far, far more important in landing your next job.
My most recent job was working at a Hyatt hotel as a front desk / cook / bartender for a year and a half. Before that, I was a sample guy at CostCo. Before that I was the front desk at a gym. That is the majority of my jobs that I stayed at for more than 3 or 4 months.
FWIW - sports management job salary ranges on indeed....
https://www.indeed.com/salaries/Sports- ... t-Salaries
oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy »

Then it seems a hotel management job at 45K would be a significant step up for you.
Last edited by oldfatguy on Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pikel

Post by Pikel »

Speaking as former actuarial and data analytics for P&C insurance - the independent agent and direct agent business has been shrinking for years. It is very lucrative if you inherit a big book of business from a parent, otherwise I would steer clear.

Most insurance products are simple enough that they don't require an intermediary and it is very simple to get quotes and educate yourself online. Agents are a remnant of the pre-internet era.

I remember being at an independent agent event where one of the speakers was trying to steer agents into "managing" retirees 401k's.

Does not give one a good feeling.
eldinerocheapo

Post by eldinerocheapo »

Been there, done that. Took my degree in Risk Mgmt & Insurance and entered the industry as an underwriter in my early 20's. Alot of agents I worked with said I'd be a natural salesman as did many end user clients. Well, after 50 cold calls a day, maybe 20 applications a week, and one signed up client per week, I'd had enough of commission only salary after a year.

The contract most will have you sign is a thick as a phone book, and gives them all the rights, not you. The agency owns your book of business along with the value of the policy expiration's so if you walk, the policy and renewal rights stay with the agency officers. Clients that asked me to call when I became an agent did not return or take my calls, and several of the ones who did, took my application and gave it to their current agent and advised them to meet my price or they'd walk. Well, after having my hard work result in no commission, and the original agent retaining the account (despite overcharging the client for years) four times in one month, I walked in and quit.

Working for an agency is great if your an officer or a family member of one. They take care of their own. Everyone else is chattel to be used and disposed of. Don't even get me started on what potential clients do to disguise the true nature of their business in order to obtain lower rated codes on commercial policies. Unethical and illegal tactics would be an understatement, as much of what I saw bordered on racketeering.

In short, do not become an insurance agent under any circumstances. I still regret the year of life I'll never get back.
"Dream, Dare, Do."
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

MindBogler wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:24 pm
randydimera wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:11 pm The hard part is finding something that really interests me. I love fitness and I would like to be involved in the fitness industry somehow, but there arent many jobs there outside of a personal trainer of some sort.
And therein lies the problem. You have two degrees and still haven't defined what interests you. Now you are looking at fitness or insurance sales. I think you could be just as successful as a plumber or electrician but the first thing you need to do is figure out what you want to do. That might mean you need to work that $12/hr job in order to figure out what you don't want to do. The problem with degrees is that they don't entitle you to anything. I have a degree and work in an unrelated field.
This. After getting a degree I couldn’t get a job in, I took a low paying job. Hated it. Decided I was interested in a job with money I could live on. Went to a tech school and finally a decent job. Turns out the job was interesting to me because it used skills I enjoyed using.

Try something and see if you like it. You will learn something about yourself.
rockonhumblepie

Post by rockonhumblepie »

I went to trade school for a 2 year degree and worked part time in the field I was learning after school.

Union apprenticeship is another good way to go.

Learn a trade,work for a small company and then start your own gig in the future. 8-) rockon'
X528

Post by X528 »

Before you choose a career, consider taking a career aptitude test:

https://www.jocrf.org

Interests and aptitude are not the same thing. Career aptitude tests should be mandatory before graduating high school and choosing a major IMHO.

Taking this type of test could save one a lot of grief and frustration.
sbaywriter

Post by sbaywriter »

OP - first off, congratulations on completing 2 degrees - that shows persistence and has got to be worth something even if you are finding the degrees aren't worth much in terms of an immediately high paying salary.

I don't know anything about insurance sales but it seems like a random choice for you, kind of like throwing a dart at a dart board full of career choices.

Not quite sure why you are so unenthusiastic about the Omni training opportunity, since it seems closely related to your education and there must be some reason why you chose that degree. Is it maybe that you have never lived on your own in some unknown new city? You mention they don't pay relocation costs - you are young and single, how much do you have to take with you? Sell your stuff, or get rid of anything low value or keep small amount in smallest size storage unit. Find cheap place to live in new city - furnished room? Roommate share situation? Keep your costs low to start and you should be able to save money even on that training pay check. I doubt they are sending you someplace real pricy like San Francisco or New York City.

Otherwise, if you have spare time, rather than picking random jobs like insurance sales, it does sound like you need to look more closely at what your skills and aptitudes are and how they might translate into a career you will enjoy and earn decent money at. That aptitude testing mentioned in a post above sounds good but may be too expensive for you. I would recommend as an alternative trying a book called "What color is your parachute" - you can find it at any local library. The book itself is too wordy, but just skip ahead to the chapters where you take a self inventory to identify your own aptitudes and interests and learn how they might translate to types of jobs.

Good luck.
ebrasmus21

Post by ebrasmus21 »

So much misinformation/fear mongering in this thread, OP.

This is truly an example of “one bad apple spoils it for the rest”

For every example of “shady clients” and “shady brokers” doing unethical things I could provide 20 examples of ethical, professional and respected insurance brokers from those just getting started to those who are well established.

When it comes to being a success insurance sales person, well, the barrier to entry is quite high. It’s not an easy job especially when starting out. Since not many people can do the job the ones that actually can end up doing very well financially.

If you’re successful $200k/year is completely realistic. Many producers earn much more. Many more than that fail and wash out.
Topic Author
Randyman

Post by Randyman »

oldfatguy wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:52 am
Then it seems a hotel management job at 45K would be a significant step up for you.
Thank you for your input. I will have to look into it more, but i know its a 12 month program at 12-15 dollars an hour before I get a guaranteed management job somewhere in the country. They just dont pay relocation costs, so they could guarantee me a job in California, but I live in Tennessee so I would have to spend the couple thousand to get there and it seems like a big hassle for not all t hat much money. But I am definitely considering it.
Topic Author
Randyman

Post by Randyman »

sbaywriter wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:04 am OP - first off, congratulations on completing 2 degrees - that shows persistence and has got to be worth something even if you are finding the degrees aren't worth much in terms of an immediately high paying salary.

I don't know anything about insurance sales but it seems like a random choice for you, kind of like throwing a dart at a dart board full of career choices.

Not quite sure why you are so unenthusiastic about the Omni training opportunity, since it seems closely related to your education and there must be some reason why you chose that degree. Is it maybe that you have never lived on your own in some unknown new city? You mention they don't pay relocation costs - you are young and single, how much do you have to take with you? Sell your stuff, or get rid of anything low value or keep small amount in smallest size storage unit. Find cheap place to live in new city - furnished room? Roommate share situation? Keep your costs low to start and you should be able to save money even on that training pay check. I doubt they are sending you someplace real pricy like San Francisco or New York City.

Otherwise, if you have spare time, rather than picking random jobs like insurance sales, it does sound like you need to look more closely at what your skills and aptitudes are and how they might translate into a career you will enjoy and earn decent money at. That aptitude testing mentioned in a post above sounds good but may be too expensive for you. I would recommend as an alternative trying a book called "What color is your parachute" - you can find it at any local library. The book itself is too wordy, but just skip ahead to the chapters where you take a self inventory to identify your own aptitudes and interests and learn how they might translate to types of jobs.

Good luck.
Thank you for your input, i will definitely consider what you have said.
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

randydimera wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:10 pm
oldfatguy wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:52 am Then it seems a hotel management job at 45K would be a significant step up for you.
Thank you for your input. I will have to look into it more, but i know its a 12 month program at 12-15 dollars an hour before I get a guaranteed management job somewhere in the country. They just dont pay relocation costs, so they could guarantee me a job in California, but I live in Tennessee so I would have to spend the couple thousand to get there and it seems like a big hassle for not all t hat much money. But I am definitely considering it.
You (or perhaps your parents) likely spent 10s of thousands of dollars (or more), getting your degree, and you're reluctant to put it to work because you might have to spend $2K moving across the country?

And you don't love the 12-15 dollars an hour, but from what it sounds like, all the jobs you've actually had so far have likely been in that range, or less. And at least with the trainee position, there's a decent indication that your wages will increase sharply after about a year.

Yes, $45K/year may not be what you dreamed of, 5 or 10 years ago. But it's what the market seems to be offering. Commissioned sales opportunities may hand wave about bigger figures, but my guess is that the odds are longer.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

psteinx wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:24 pm
randydimera wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:10 pm
oldfatguy wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:52 am Then it seems a hotel management job at 45K would be a significant step up for you.
You (or perhaps your parents) likely spent 10s of thousands of dollars (or more), getting your degree, and you're reluctant to put it to work because you might have to spend $2K moving across the country?

And you don't love the 12-15 dollars an hour, but from what it sounds like, all the jobs you've actually had so far have likely been in that range, or less. And at least with the trainee position, there's a decent indication that your wages will increase sharply after about a year.

Yes, $45K/year may not be what you dreamed of, 5 or 10 years ago. But it's what the market seems to be offering. Commissioned sales opportunities may hand wave about bigger figures, but my guess is that the odds are longer.
Depending on the COL of the area, $45k isn't bad in certain arenas for an entry-level position.
The Sensible Steward
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

randydimera wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:49 pmI personally have never liked sales because I hate when people try to sell me things, so why would I want to be the person selling to people who really do not want to buy?
I don't know, why would you?
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

ebrasmus21 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:33 am
If you’re successful $200k/year is completely realistic. Many producers earn much more. Many more than that fail and wash out.
OP was considering a position with Liberty National Life, which is a low-end company that sells small dollar policies, burial insurance, and probably Medicare Supplement.

I doubt that many, if any, of their direct writing agents make $200k per year.

I agree that agents at other, higher end life insurance companies can make $200k per year. And I agree that the wash out rate for new hires is VERY high.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
ebrasmus21

Post by ebrasmus21 »

Stinky wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:24 pm
ebrasmus21 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:33 am
OP was considering a position with Liberty National Life, which is a low-end company that sells small dollar policies, burial insurance, and probably Medicare Supplement.

I doubt that many, if any, of their direct writing agents make $200k per year.

I agree that agents at other, higher end life insurance companies can make $200k per year. And I agree that the wash out rate for new hires is VERY high.
I should have been more clear in my post. Continuing a thought from a prior post I made in this thread I encouraged the OP at the idea of being a commercial P&C broker and did not encourage pursuing life insurance sales.

Personal, life and small commercial insurance is being viewed more and more as a commodity where a broker/agent is not needed. The AI is getting there but hasn’t taken over yet.

Middle market commercial P&C can often be quiet complicated and expertise driven - this is where I would encourage people to consider insurance sales.