U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
HanSolo

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by HanSolo »

vanbogle59 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:11 pm
HanSolo wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:45 pm The fact that someone earlier in this thread would claim that profitable business "has never been about improving the quality of life" is further evidence of the growing disconnect between business profitability and delivering something positive to society.
Well, I'm sure all y'all recall that Adam Smith fella. He thought it was downright amazin that different folks, all workin' for their own personal profit, ended up makin' the world a better place... As if guided by some sort of invisible hand or some such magic.
He thought it was magic then. What's changed?
Nothing has changed with respect to Adam Smith. I agree with you that, for the most part, and in a normally functioning economy, free markets will result in the furtherance of the good of society (despite disagreement from the person I quoted). However, there's room for exceptions. Tobacco companies proved that you can be massively profitable while doing a public disservice. If it happened before, it can happen again.

Also, public perceptions of such companies have shifted in the past, and can shift again. It appears that there's currently a relatively high acceptance of "disservice profiteering", for whatever reasons.

If there's an invisible hand, then the two variables I mentioned in my previous post must be part of that hand, and will continue to be variables.
Strategic Macro Senior (top 1%, 2019 Bogleheads Contest)
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

vanbogle59 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:11 pm
HanSolo wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:45 pm The fact that someone earlier in this thread would claim that profitable business "has never been about improving the quality of life" is further evidence of the growing disconnect between business profitability and delivering something positive to society.
Well, I'm sure all y'all recall that Adam Smith fella. He thought it was downright amazin that different folks, all workin' for their own personal profit, ended up makin' the world a better place... As if guided by some sort of invisible hand or some such magic.
He thought it was magic then. What's changed?
Reality TV
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

How about returning this thread back to reality? Let's commence the ZOOM ZOOM ZOOMING...
Rules to wealth building: 75-80% VTSAX piled high and deep, 20-25% VTIAX, 0% given away to banks.
HanSolo

Post by HanSolo »

TheDDC wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:46 pm How about returning this thread back to reality? Let's commence the ZOOM ZOOM ZOOMING...
Huh? Reality TV isn't reality?

The reality is, the market went down today. Don't let that happen again. Buy more stock tomorrow!
Strategic Macro Senior (top 1%, 2019 Bogleheads Contest)
rchmx1

Post by rchmx1 »

rchmx1 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:39 pm
lostdog wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:27 pm Asia-Pacific is soaring.
Indeed it is. And NASDAQ futures at least have turned green. Might be getting more of the good color tomorrow.
I blame myself for this one. Sorry guys. :(
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

NASDAQ doing a very little minor soaring this morning.

S&P not really free falling, but underwater soaring (also called diving).

Since the Curly Family has more in NASDAQ than in S&P I will post in this thread today.
Answering a question is easy -- asking the right question is the hard part.
vanbogle59

Post by vanbogle59 »

CurlyDave wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:52 am NASDAQ doing a very little minor soaring this morning.

Since the Curly Family has more in NASDAQ than in S&P I will post in this thread today.
Any pilots out there?
IIRC, in the early days of jet engines, take offs were smooth climbs with lots of throttle to achieve max speed asap.
Turns out, it's actually better to combine steep, followed by short dive, then return to steep. Gets you where you want to go faster.
Let's hope that's explains our current soaring.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

Vanguard Real Estate Index Fund ETF (VNQ) is +0.87%. My Roth IRA is 100% VNQ. (Err, actually it's the mutual fund version, but whatever.)

Edit: Nevermind that my international tilt is in the house of pain!
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

CurlyDave wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:52 am NASDAQ doing a very little minor soaring this morning.

Looks like both S&P and Nasdaq are both “underwater soaring” now. (I love that phrase). :twisted:

It may be time to switch to the free fall thread.....
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
thenextguy

Post by thenextguy »

Reverse soaring.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

thenextguy wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:39 am Reverse soaring.
I like that.

It's like reverse dieting.
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

Relief soaring this morning.

Any soaring is good, but this morning is just because it went down too much over the past few days...
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

CurlyDave wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:28 am Relief soaring this morning.

Any soaring is good, but this morning is just because it went down too much over the past few days...
I’ll take any kind of soaring!
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Stef

Post by Stef »

Markets are ready to launch, weather looks good.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

Stinky wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:07 am
...I’ll take any kind of soaring!
The dollars from selling stonks spend just the same as the ones earned by the sweat of your brow.

And this is a very good thing, since I haven't done any brow-sweating in a long time.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

Does this (below) foreshadow what we might see if the US? (Obvious answer: no one knows.) This could portend a taper-tantrum scenario, or it could mean nothing. How long have we all expected higher rates, for it only to turn around and once again to lower? Head fake after head fake for years! Years and years! The great bond bubble of 2010, remember that?

"Bank of Canada Pares Bond Purchases, Sees Rate Hikes Earlier" link

"[The central bank] said the economy would fully heal from the pandemic sooner than expected, a shift that could prompt them to raise their key benchmark interest rate as early as next year versus previous guidance pointing to no move before 2023."
vanbogle59

Post by vanbogle59 »

Robot Monster wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:31 am Does this (below) foreshadow what we might see if the US? (Obvious answer: no one knows.) This could portend a taper-tantrum scenario, or it could mean nothing. How long have we all expected higher rates, for it only to turn around and once again to lower? Head fake after head fake for years! Years and years! The great bond bubble of 2010, remember that?

"Bank of Canada Pares Bond Purchases, Sees Rate Hikes Earlier" link

"[The central bank] said the economy would fully heal from the pandemic sooner than expected, a shift that could prompt them to raise their key benchmark interest rate as early as next year versus previous guidance pointing to no move before 2023."
Here's the definitive answer"
https://magic-8ball.com/
case_of_ennui

Post by case_of_ennui »

I think if rates go up we could see such a tantrum from the market. Or rates could go up and the market calmly glides instead of soaring. Or rates could go down and the market could soar. Or rates could go down and we could still have a tantrum. I think rates can also stay steady.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

If rates go up, and corporate earnings stay the same, then valuations either need to take a haircut, or people need to stop talking about how current valuations are rational because of low interest rates.
stocknoob4111

Post by stocknoob4111 »

watchnerd wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:34 am If rates go up,
The thing is rates don't seem to be going up... the 10Y seems to have flatlined around 1.5-1.65. This may not be the 0.5 we saw earlier but it still is crazy low compared to history.
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

In other news... I backed up the truck yesterday and the market is soaring today! That doesn’t usually happen for me!

:sharebeer
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

stocknoob4111 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:42 pm
watchnerd wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:34 am If rates go up,
The thing is rates don't seem to be going up... the 10Y seems to have flatlined around 1.5-1.65. This may not be the 0.5 we saw earlier but it still is crazy low compared to history.
Kathy Jones, Chief Fixed Income Strategist at Schwab and crystal ball enthusiast, says yields may pause for now, and "the good news is that the worst of this phase of the bond bear market may be over...For the balance of 2021, we look for 10-year Treasury yields to move higher, most likely to the 2% to 2.5% region." link
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

A proper soar day indeed, complete with end of the day melt-up, like melty cheese that drips outta the sandwich your mom makes you on a warm summer afternoon in the '70's, while the mellow sounds of Todd Rundgren play in the background.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Robot Monster wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:54 pm A proper soar day indeed, complete with end of the day melt-up, like melty cheese that drips outta the sandwich your mom makes you on a warm summer afternoon in the '70's, while the mellow sounds of Todd Rundgren play in the background.
Lostdog must be at the gym.....
rchmx1

Post by rchmx1 »

I took a nap around 2. Maybe my naps have power as well? :happy
OohLaLa

Post by OohLaLa »

Stinky wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:59 pm
Robot Monster wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:54 pm A proper soar day indeed, complete with end of the day melt-up, like melty cheese that drips outta the sandwich your mom makes you on a warm summer afternoon in the '70's, while the mellow sounds of Todd Rundgren play in the background.
Lostdog must be at the gym.....
I think it's time we all chip in and buy him a perpetual gym membership, or some Jane Fonda tapes... work those assets! Reach for those profits! 1, breathe in, 2, breathe ouuuut! :beer
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

I spent the late morning/early afternoon gold prospecting. Essentially sifting large quantities of heavy dirt looking for almost microscopic little flakes of gold. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention fighting the poison oak.

Jack Bogle had a much better idea ...
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

CurlyDave wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:07 pm I spent the late morning/early afternoon gold prospecting. Essentially sifting large quantities of heavy dirt looking for almost microscopic little flakes of gold. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention fighting the poison oak.

Round back at the creek?
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Was at the gym during the melt up. I was far from the cnbc TV and was trying my best to see the numbers.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

lostdog wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:45 pm Was at the gym during the melt up. I was far from the cnbc TV and was trying my best to see the numbers.
So now we have two “scientifically proven” ways to predict stock market performance:

The Forester Effect - If member Forester makes a prediction of pending stock market gloom, the stock market will rise.

The Lostdog Effect - If member Lostdog goes to the gym late in the trading day, the stock market will melt up into the close.

Are there other “Effects” that I’m missing?
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Stinky wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:47 pm
lostdog wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:45 pm Was at the gym during the melt up. I was far from the cnbc TV and was trying my best to see the numbers.
So now we have two “scientifically proven” ways to predict stock market performance:

The Forester Effect - If member Forester makes a prediction of pending stock market gloom, the stock market will rise.

The Lostdog Effect - If member Lostdog goes to the gym late in the trading day, the stock market will melt up into the close.

Do we observe anything around Tony backing up the truck?
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

Went for a swim, came back and had multiple months worth of spending money. Most profitable swim I ever took. At this point I think I work because I have nothing better to do...yet... for now...

:moneybag :moneybag :moneybag
rchmx1

Post by rchmx1 »

Marseille07 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:52 pm

No. Apparently that occurs so frequently that the events map too closely to the up and down market movements. No predictive value there. lol
Ajcorpus

Post by Ajcorpus »

rchmx1 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:02 pm

No. Apparently that occurs so frequently that the events map too closely to the up and down market movements. No predictive value there. lol
Yeah that’s what I think too, the truck backs up on both soaring and free fall days! :D
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Ajcorpus wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:06 pm
rchmx1 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:02 pm
Marseille07 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:52 pm Do we observe anything around Tony backing up the truck?
Yeah that’s what I think too, the truck backs up on both soaring and free fall days! :D
Tony’s truck is a true perpetual motion machine.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Stinky wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:47 pm

It seems to back up after a market rally.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

Vtsax100 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:17 pm
CurlyDave wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:07 pm I spent the late morning/early afternoon gold prospecting. Essentially sifting large quantities of heavy dirt looking for almost microscopic little flakes of gold. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention fighting the poison oak.

Round back at the creek?
No creek. I found a 150 year old open pit mine. Small, but obviously someone put a lot of work into it way back when. Just looking right now. Another 20 years and it will be almost not distinguishable from a natural feature.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

NASDAQ is starting to do a little soaring. S&P struggling but coming back to even.

It just might turn out to be a nice day.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

CurlyDave wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:20 am NASDAQ is starting to do a little soaring. S&P struggling but coming back to even.

It just might turn out to be a nice day.
S&P has broken into the green.

And it’s just 13 points from all time high.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

There was an instant drop. What was that all about? Off the cliff drop.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

lostdog wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:10 pm There was an instant drop. What was that all about? Off the cliff drop.
Please go hit the gym asap to save us.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

lostdog wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:10 pm There was an instant drop. What was that all about? Off the cliff drop.
The forbidden topic.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
vanbogle59

Post by vanbogle59 »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:14 pm
The forbidden topic.
No fair. I'm new. Give me a hint! :D
ksualum

Post by ksualum »

vanbogle59 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:16 pm
TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:14 pm
The forbidden topic.
No fair. I'm new. Give me a hint! :D
It rhymes with capable aims
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

I'm guessing this:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/21/stock-m ... -news.html
anoop

Post by anoop »

1-month t-bill at 0%. bullish all the way. TINA.
Visitor76

Post by Visitor76 »

It looks as though today will be a good day for the lump sum contribution I made in VTSAX. On top of that tomorrow is DCA Contribution Day :moneybag
Wealth is not about having a lot of money; it's about having a lot of options.
SuperTrooper87

Post by SuperTrooper87 »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:21 pm
I'm guessing this:

A move like this could encourage a lot of folks to sell off their gains from 3/20 and on - could it not? Why hold onto them for a slight gain when you’re getting whacked by double the capital gains?
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

SuperTrooper87 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:33 pm
I'm guessing this:

A move like this could encourage a lot of folks to sell off their gains from 3/20 and on - could it not? Why hold onto them for a slight gain when you’re getting whacked by double the capital gains?
If they sell, I’ll be buying. Actually even if they buy, I’ll be buying. They could do nothing, and I’ll be buying. Three times this month, three times last month, three time next month. Tax 'em, don’t tax 'em, who cares, I’ll be buying.

I don’t have a truck, but I carry my bucket with me all the time.
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

Silverado wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:41 pm
SuperTrooper87 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:33 pm
I'm guessing this:

If they sell, I’ll be buying. Actually even if they buy, I’ll be buying. They could do nothing, and I’ll be buying. Three times this month, three times last month, three time next month. Tax 'em, don’t tax 'em, who cares, I’ll be buying.

I don’t have a truck, but I carry my bucket with me all the time.

Your name is Silverado. 🤔