U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
lostdog

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by lostdog »

Forester spoke, markets moved up.

Melt up today?
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:06 am
HomerJ wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:32 am
Marseille07 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:21 am
Wanderingwheelz wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:09 am
Marseille07 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:25 pm NFP tomorrow will be bigly. Last month was a huge miss, people brushed off saying it was a blip. If NFP misses again then look out below.
Woops
Unemp beat. We have to be nimble in this market.
No one has to be nimble. Just buy and hold and come back in 20 years.
I don't even know what "be nimble" means in this context, but it sounds like it isn't a good idea. I just buy whatever is low in my AA, which has lately been bonds, and stay the course. I've been doing it for 14 years. My portfolio will be at another all-time high today.
If "be nimble" doesn't give you a big giggle on this website, then I'm not sure what to say :beer
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:23 pm
Triple digit golfer wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:06 am
HomerJ wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:32 am
Marseille07 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:21 am
Wanderingwheelz wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:09 am

Woops
Unemp beat. We have to be nimble in this market.
No one has to be nimble. Just buy and hold and come back in 20 years.
I don't even know what "be nimble" means in this context, but it sounds like it isn't a good idea. I just buy whatever is low in my AA, which has lately been bonds, and stay the course. I've been doing it for 14 years. My portfolio will be at another all-time high today.
If "be nimble" doesn't give you a big giggle on this website, then I'm not sure what to say :beer
I think that the “nimble” gene wasn’t passed down to me. :oops:

In other news, the S&P is now within 8 points of all time high. That’s just a walk in the park in the last hour of a GREAT Friday.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

Stinky wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:51 pm
In other news, the S&P is now within 8 points of all time high. That’s just a walk in the park in the last hour of a GREAT Friday.
I am detecting the beginnings of a Friday melt up. :sharebeer

A great way to end the day.
Answering a question is easy -- asking the right question is the hard part.
Candor

Post by Candor »

Looking pretty nimble for the end of the week.
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

My nimbleness has me all atwitter
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

A disappointing finish. We hovered above ATH territory but couldn't even keep 4230 at close. The market wasn't nimble enough, a D+ day.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

Marseille07 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:16 pm A disappointing finish. We hovered above ATH territory but couldn't even keep 4230 at close. The market wasn't nimble enough, a D+ day.
Not to mention that it underperformed VXUS. Very embarrassing.

VTI +0.87%
VOO +0.91%
VXUS +0.96%

Of course, it goes without saying, they all got slaughtered by...

QQQ +1.70%
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Robot Monster wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:23 pm
Marseille07 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:16 pm A disappointing finish. We hovered above ATH territory but couldn't even keep 4230 at close. The market wasn't nimble enough, a D+ day.

VTI +0.87%
VOO +0.91%
VXUS +0.96%

QQQ +1.70%
Thank you for bringing it up. I had overlooked QQQ's perf today and I'm 50/50 VOO/QQQ. I can upgrade today's grade from D+ to C-.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Tough crowd!
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Robot Monster wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:23 pm

VTI +0.87%
VOO +0.91%
VXUS +0.96%

QQQ +1.70%
QQQ is still lagging behind VOO YTD. It will be interesting to see how this year ends. I'm betting VOO wins given QQQs ridiculous performance last year. Like another poster, I'm close to 50/50 split between the two.
MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries »

SPY set ATH today at 422.92.
We plan. G-d laughs.

Post by 000 »

Forester wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:55 pm 2000/2008 will be here soon in only a matter of months. "Buy the dip" won't work this time.
How deep and long do you think the next bear will be so that "buy the dip" won't work?
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

000 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:58 pm
Forester wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:55 pm 2000/2008 will be here soon in only a matter of months. "Buy the dip" won't work this time.
How deep and long do you think the next bear will be so that "buy the dip" won't work?
Buying the dip worked out pretty well in those previous examples.

Post by 000 »

sailaway wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:59 pm Buying the dip worked out pretty well in those previous examples.
Indeed. Hopefully Forester will clarify.
Candor

Post by Candor »

000 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:02 pm
sailaway wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:59 pm Buying the dip worked out pretty well in those previous examples.
If Forester ever comes back to clarify or defend any of these predictions I must have missed it. It seems like he/she just throws them out there and disappears until the next one. Classic trolling imo.
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
lazynovice

Post by lazynovice »

Candor wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:24 pm
000 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:02 pm
If Forester ever comes back to clarify or defend any of these predictions I must have missed it. It seems like he/she just throws them out there and disappears until the next one. Classic trolling imo.
If buying the dip doesn’t work, then did you really buy the dip?
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Remember when Forester said he would never post again in this thread if a certain thing happened within a certain timeline? It happened within a couple days. Had to do with S&P 500 closing price, I think. That was a classic!
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:45 pm Remember when Forester said he would never post again in this thread if a certain thing happened within a certain timeline? It happened within a couple days. Had to do with S&P 500 closing price, I think. That was a classic!
Just like a golfer has to have a short memory, so do market predictors.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

Marseille07 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:27 pm
Thank you for bringing it up. I had overlooked QQQ's perf today and I'm 50/50 VOO/QQQ. I can upgrade today's grade from D+ to C-.
You are being too harsh. The Curly Family portfolio was up 1.7% today. That is an A+ in my book.

Even 50/50 VOO/QQQ should be pushing 1.3% on the day, which knocks the stuffing out of VXUS.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

CurlyDave wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:50 pm
Marseille07 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:27 pm
You are being too harsh. The Curly Family portfolio was up 1.7% today. That is an A+ in my book.

Even 50/50 VOO/QQQ should be pushing 1.3% on the day, which knocks the stuffing out of VXUS.
You're right. I'll curve grades and mark it as an A day.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

I checked my retirement portfolio today, at or very, very close to all time highs. No complaints here.
A fool and his money are good for business.
Family Oaks

Post by Family Oaks »

Forester has a crystal ball they are using to read the future. It’s an accurate ball but there is one problem, it’s really only accurate when read inside a closet with the lights turned off, and given night vision won’t show it and people can’t see in the dark is it really accurate at all?

But then again a broken clock is right twice a day, right?
I know one thing is for sure, I know nothin!

I’m just going to sit back, relax, and index now! :sharebeer
Contentment makes poor men rich, discontent makes rich men poor. -Benjamin Franklin
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

over the all time high here. Those catalytic converters I sawed off just pushed me over the finish line.
This time is the same
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

Family Oaks wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:51 pm Forester has a crystal ball they are using to read the future. It’s an accurate ball but there is one problem, it’s really only accurate when read inside a closet with the lights turned off, and given night vision won’t show it and people can’t see in the dark is it really accurate at all?

Forester is listed as living in the UK. And he likes posting random Debbie downer missives apparently to gullible American investors? Tell me again why is anyone even giving him the time of day over his inane posts?

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 75-80% VTSAX piled high and deep, 20-25% VTIAX, 0% given away to banks.
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

TheDDC wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:00 pm
Family Oaks wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:51 pm Forester has a crystal ball they are using to read the future. It’s an accurate ball but there is one problem, it’s really only accurate when read inside a closet with the lights turned off, and given night vision won’t show it and people can’t see in the dark is it really accurate at all?

Forester is listed as living in the UK. And he likes posting random Debbie downer missives apparently to gullible American investors? Tell me again why is anyone even giving him the time of day over his inane posts?

-TheDDC
Because it's fun?
dogagility

Post by dogagility »

pasadena wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:06 pm
TheDDC wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:00 pm Forester is listed as living in the UK. And he likes posting random Debbie downer missives apparently to gullible American investors? Tell me again why is anyone even giving him the time of day over his inane posts?
-TheDDC
Because it's fun?
And that's all this thread is about.

I'd feel bad about us poking fun at Forester, but he/she/her/him/his keeps playing the game.
Make sure you check out my list of certifications. The list is short, and there aren't any. - Eric 0. from SMA
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

-TheDDC
It's mainly for fun and not serious.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

-TheDDC
At some point, he'll be right. He's just early. These PEs are still insane:

https://www.wsj.com/market-data/stocks/peyields

I'm hoping Q2 earnings bring them below 30x.
ImUrHuckleberry

Post by ImUrHuckleberry »

-TheDDC
I enjoy the market spikes after every doomsday scenario.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

nedsaid wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:03 pm I checked my retirement portfolio today, at or very, very close to all time highs. No complaints here.
I'm about $8k away from my ATH. Hopefully, I can pass over it next week.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

ImUrHuckleberry wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:02 pm

-TheDDC
I enjoy the market spikes after every doomsday scenario.
The timing is pretty ridiculous.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

rockstar wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:05 pm
nedsaid wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:03 pm I checked my retirement portfolio today, at or very, very close to all time highs. No complaints here.
Our strategy not panning out well. Maybe we need to do VOO/VXUS 50/50.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

Marseille07 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:12 pm
I approve.
Family Oaks

Post by Family Oaks »

lostdog wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:46 pm

-TheDDC
It's mainly for fun and not serious.
It’s all in good fun. If someone truly gets offended by spouting market predictions and therefore told by others nobody knows anything, then they have not realized their words are the ramblings of a fool. :beer
Contentment makes poor men rich, discontent makes rich men poor. -Benjamin Franklin
uberdoc

Post by uberdoc »

With the nickname Forester they still kept looking at the trees and missed the forest.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

uberdoc wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:53 am With the nickname Forester they still kept looking at the trees and missed the forest.
I always thought he misspelled Forecaster.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

-TheDDC
I know that I like to have fun with predictions. Some time ago, I pounded the table and doing my best Jim Cramer imitation hit the "buy" button and put out a "buy" recommendation for US Small Value, US Mid Value, and US Large Value. I had been recommending US Large Value before that, maybe since 2016. Too lazy to go through my old posts to get exact dates.

Certainly I have my convictions and certainly I have my opinions about the future. I realize, however that markets do what markets do regardless of my hopes, my dreams, my needs, my predictions. I also realize that I could be wrong. Though my portfolio has its tilts, I keep them relatively mild and my expectations modest.

Value seemed overdue for a bounce back, I had waited for it for years but the market stubbornly refused to cooperate with my portfolio construction. Finally, Value and particularly Small Value has made a comeback over the last year. I think my opinions will be vindicated but I have waited a long time. Markets have a way of teaching humility.

I am concerned about stock valuations here in the United States and thus I have relatively mild Value and Size tilts. I also have not given up on International stocks which are cheaper than here in the United States. Not predicting gloom for the U.S. in general and for U.S. Large Growth in particular, just seeing a reversion to the mean with U.S. Value, U.S. Small Cap and International Stocks.

Let's not be too hard on Forester, let's have a bit of fun with this and learn from the process.
A fool and his money are good for business.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Marseille07 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:12 pm
You could always go VOO/QQQ/VXUS 33/33/33 and put the 1% remaining into some triple levered fund for fun;) I'm not jumping on the international bandwagon yet.
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

uberdoc wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:53 am With the nickname Forester they still kept looking at the trees and missed the forest.
Funny! Though I was expecting a bad Subaru joke as the Subaru owner that I am.

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 75-80% VTSAX piled high and deep, 20-25% VTIAX, 0% given away to banks.
OohLaLa

Post by OohLaLa »

TheDDC wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:21 pm
Funny! Though I was expecting a bad Subaru joke as the Subaru owner that I am.

-TheDDC
What do a Subaru transmission and Forester predictions have in common? They keeping failing over and over again! *badum teesh*

Thank you! Thank you! I'll be giving signatures at the exit.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

Close on Friday:

U.S. S&P 500
+37.04 (0.88%)
Jun 4, 5:17 PM EDT

Looking forward to another great week.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

Looking forward to hearing the results of China’s trade data for May which is expected to be out at 11:00 a.m. HK/SIN on Monday.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

dogagility wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:45 am
pasadena wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:06 pm
...Because it's fun?
And that's all this thread is about...
While there is a lot of chaff, there is also quite a bit of wheat in this thread. If investing isn't fun, we all ought to find something else to do.

This thread helps me stay on course.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

Bill Dudley has quite the opinion piece today in Bloomberg. "The Fed Is Risking a Full-Blown Recession" link

He says the Fed's loose monetary policy "may be attractive now, because it provides more impetus to an economy recovering from the pandemic. But this benefit will come at a potentially high cost later..." He thinks that such loose policy will allow overheating to begin, which in turn "will require the Fed to increase interest rates much faster and further than it would if it started raising rates sooner."

If this plays out like he expects, I'm going to repost this in order to give myself a pat on the back for having posted about it. If it doesn't go as he expects, I'll just say, look at how dumb Bill Dudley was. Silly Billy. Trix are for kids. Either way, I win. *my left hand high fiving my right hand*
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Robot Monster wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:12 am Bill Dudley has quite the opinion piece today in Bloomberg. "The Fed Is Risking a Full-Blown Recession" link

He says the Fed's loose monetary policy "may be attractive now, because it provides more impetus to an economy recovering from the pandemic. But this benefit will come at a potentially high cost later..." He thinks that such loose policy will allow overheating to begin, which in turn "will require the Fed to increase interest rates much faster and further than it would if it started raising rates sooner."
For those of us who lived through the huge Fed tightening in the early 1980s that finally choked off the inflation of the late 1970s, this sounds pretty spooky.

I, for one, hope that it doesn’t come to this. The sharp recession in the early 1980s was not fun.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
case_of_ennui

Post by case_of_ennui »

US REIT index has been soaring. VNQ is up over 18.5% in the last 3 months vs ~8.5% for VTI (US Total Market). I wonder if this is due to inflation fears and a perceived relative safety of REITs during times of rising rates.
stocknoob4111

Post by stocknoob4111 »

Stinky wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:35 am For those of us who lived through the huge Fed tightening in the early 1980s that finally choked off the inflation of the late 1970s, this sounds pretty spooky.
This is going to be particularly shocking for the housing market, imagine suddenly going from 3% mortgage rates to 10+% rates... what exactly will happen to the state of Real Estate? Unthinkable in my opinion as even though 10% rates are historically high they aren't too far off from the long term historical mortgage rate average of 8ish % prior to 2008. We have been in such a strange interest rate environment for so incredibly long that even a reversion to the historical norm is going to be simply shocking.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

stocknoob4111 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:59 am
Stinky wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:35 am For those of us who lived through the huge Fed tightening in the early 1980s that finally choked off the inflation of the late 1970s, this sounds pretty spooky.
This is going to be particularly shocking for the housing market, imagine suddenly going from 3% mortgage rates to 10+% rates... what exactly will happen to the state of Real Estate? Unthinkable in my opinion as even though 10% rates are historically high they aren't too far off from the long term historical mortgage rate average of 8ish % prior to 2008. We have been in such a strange interest rate environment for so incredibly long that even a reversion to the historical norm is going to be simply shocking.
I don't even think we have to get to 10+%. Somewhere around 5% we are going to start seeing "creative financing" pop up in real estate ads.

Possibly there will be a lot of wealth destruction among homeowners.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

stocknoob4111 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:59 am
I recall, less than fondly, the 30-year mortgage at 12% that I took out in 1981.

Most folks in their prime home-buying years would revolt at the thought of paying more than ?? 5%? 7%?