U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
marcopolo

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by marcopolo »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:24 pm Anybody else get bored when the market is down from all time highs, but not really far down?

I can get excited when we're at all-time highs. The high numbers on my spreadsheet give me a tingle.

I can get excited when the market is down 20%+. Cheaper stocks with new money, maybe a rebalance.

But this sideways, down a little, up a little crap, while a huge part of what the market does, is really boring.

Talk to me when the S&P 500 is at 3,800 or 4,800.

I guess the market is always boring someone.

You are bored by sideways movement.
TheTimeLord (whatever happened to him?) was bored with constantly making more money in the market.

Anyone get bored by continued losses? :beer
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
mr_brightside

Post by mr_brightside »

Engineer250 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:42 am

I don't want to get all "this time it's different" with bonds, but feel honestly that my generation won't have the same Bond bull market a lot of older people did. Just like a college degree for us wasn't an automatic path to success, we couldn't afford college on our part time jobs, and we won't be able to rely on our pensions with even social security looking like it might take a 25% haircut. Some things do change. I do plan to get into bonds when I am older. If I had a parent as well off as a lot of the posters on here I might think differently, but the "new normal" is a growing income gap where many my age will have to work as long as we can stay healthy and can't afford the plattitudes of boomers or even older Xers.
i share some of the same sentiment. the Fed has really 're-written the rule book' the last 15 years or so with ultra-low interest rates.

i'm an older Gen X-er (early 50s) and I remember early 2000s you could earn 5-6% just parking cash in a MMF... (and inflation wasn't onerous so there actually was a real rate of return on top of the 'safety' of a sizeable cash position.)

but the up-side has been a booming stock market minus a couple of dips along the way. i am highly curious what happens with interest rates over the next 4-5 years. no doubt our highest inflation in 30 years stems PARTLY from the long-term ultra-low rates (and high stimulus spending).

-----------------------------------

Post by 000 »

Forester wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:38 am SPX should make a final rally to 5,250 in early 2022, we may have already experienced the customary Q4 jitters. Provisionally I estimate SPX ends 2021 @4,800 and perhaps 4,200 at the end of 2022 (real 15% loss after inflation).
I think you are very likely still underestimating the magnitude of this market, which is consistent with your past failed predictions.

5250 is probably going to look too low when this bull market ends in parabolic euphoria.

OTOH 4200 is way too optimistic for what I think happens during the crash. This epic bull market is more likely to turn into an epic unprecedented bear market, going deeper than -50%, triggering forced deleveraging throughout the system, and then a collapse to even lower asset values.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

This dead cat just keep bouncing down the stairs.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

mr_brightside wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:15 pm i am highly curious what happens with interest rates over the next 4-5 years.
There's a Twitter post that you might be interested in...

"And there it is. The Fed's first rate CUT has now appeared on the eurodollar curve. 2024-2025 just inverted." See graph in
link

Also of interest, a post I wrote that includes interest rate forecasts. link
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

000 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:34 pm
Forester wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:38 am SPX should make a final rally to 5,250 in early 2022, we may have already experienced the customary Q4 jitters. Provisionally I estimate SPX ends 2021 @4,800 and perhaps 4,200 at the end of 2022 (real 15% loss after inflation).
I think you are very likely still underestimating the magnitude of this market, which is consistent with your past failed predictions.

5250 is probably going to look too low when this bull market ends in parabolic euphoria.

OTOH 4200 is way too optimistic for what I think happens during the crash. This epic bull market is more likely to turn into an epic unprecedented bear market, going deeper than -50%, triggering forced deleveraging throughout the system, and then a collapse to even lower asset values.
Unprecedented? So, worse than the 89% drop during the great depression. Cool.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Post by 000 »

marcopolo wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:40 pm Unprecedented? So, worse than the 89% drop during the great depression. Cool.
No, forgive me, I meant unprecedented in the minds of investors / traders today who mostly think 50% - 60% is maximum possible drop from ATH.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

This is a fun general purpose "stocks up" thread that I'm glad we've been allowed to keep running, but sometimes I feel like it should be reserved for reaching new highs rather than re-visiting levels we've already been at.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Nathan Drake

Post by Nathan Drake »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:24 pm Anybody else get bored when the market is down from all time highs, but not really far down?

I can get excited when we're at all-time highs. The high numbers on my spreadsheet give me a tingle.

I can get excited when the market is down 20%+. Cheaper stocks with new money, maybe a rebalance.

But this sideways, down a little, up a little crap, while a huge part of what the market does, is really boring.

Talk to me when the S&P 500 is at 3,800 or 4,800.
SCV exists if you want more excitement …. :)
20% VOO | 20% VXUS | 20% AVUV | 20% AVDV | 20% AVES
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

JoMoney wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:56 pm This is a fun general purpose "stocks up" thread that I'm glad we've been allowed to keep running, but sometimes I feel like it should be reserved for reaching new highs rather than re-visiting levels we've already been at.
I said this in the free-falling thread back in 2011, Guess how well that worked out? :)
HomerJ wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:21 pm Heh, we're still 1000 points higher than when this thread started or about 8.5% up.

Really shouldn't add to this thread until we drop below 10800 again.
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
anoop

Post by anoop »

Judging by mall traffic and crowds around here this is going to be one sad holiday season for retailers. Ironically that might turn out to be good for stocks!
ApeAttack

Post by ApeAttack »

Kookaburra wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:37 pm This dead cat just keep bouncing down the stairs.
Bouncing up the stairs?
May all your index funds gain +0.5% today.
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

000 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:53 pm
Triple digit golfer wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:46 pm
newyorker wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:37 pm Pretty sad day... well i guess i will keep DCA...
About six weeks ago this would have been right around an all time high.
Indeed; and stocks would need to drop almost 20% more to erase this year's gains.

I have to ask, honestly, would the DCA camp keep buying if stocks dropped 20% over, say, the next few days?

Just make sure you guys aren't overextending your risk tolerance.
If we had another March 2020 I'd rebalance and TLH aggressively.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

nigel_ht wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:10 am
000 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:53 pm
Triple digit golfer wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:46 pm
newyorker wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:37 pm Pretty sad day... well i guess i will keep DCA...
About six weeks ago this would have been right around an all time high.
Indeed; and stocks would need to drop almost 20% more to erase this year's gains.

I have to ask, honestly, would the DCA camp keep buying if stocks dropped 20% over, say, the next few days?

Just make sure you guys aren't overextending your risk tolerance.
If we had another March 2020 I'd rebalance and TLH aggressively.
Unless a major correction happens, I might be nearing a point that I stop buying stocks for the rest of my life, and start working on building a bigger fixed-income cushion to draw on.
I'm not opposed to looking for opportunities to do some Roth conversions of stocks at a lower price though :mrgreen:
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l »

Only 210,000 jobs added and the government is funded through February, the market should love that.
70% Global Stocks / 30% Bonds
winterfan

Post by winterfan »

marcopolo wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:02 pm
Not bored, but I stop looking when things tank. :happy
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

ApeAttack wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:46 pm
Kookaburra wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:37 pm This dead cat just keep bouncing down the stairs.
Bouncing up the stairs?
Sure, let’s call it that. :oops:
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Yawn...VTI and VXUS permanent hold.

Looks like the FOMO stocks are getting burned?
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
thenextguy

Post by thenextguy »

lostdog wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:13 am
Looks like the FOMO stocks are getting burned?
Yup.

Right now:
VTV -0.32%
VUG -2.28%
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

You know it's fun when both the "stocks soaring!" and "stocks falling!' threads are getting simultaneous activity. :happy
MJS

Post by MJS »

Kookaburra wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:52 am
Bouncing up the stairs?
Dead cats yuck!
It's a live cat bounce-bounce-bounce.
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Bacon F.
ApeAttack

Post by ApeAttack »

Kookaburra wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:52 am
Bouncing up the stairs?
I guess today it is bouncing down the stairs. :P
newyorker

Post by newyorker »

Why is this thread even active today? 😤
ApeAttack

Post by ApeAttack »

winterfan wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:20 am
marcopolo wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:02 pm
Not bored, but I stop looking when things tank. :happy
As someone in accumulation mode who won't retire for another 20 years, I feel mildly happy when the market dips (especially just before payday).
ApeAttack

Post by ApeAttack »

newyorker wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:38 pm Why is this thread even active today? 😤
We should merge the two threads into "U.S. stocks continue to do something!"

The threads continue to do a great job of soaking up the forum's silliness regardless how the market is performing on a given day.
Portfolio7

Post by Portfolio7 »

Interesting decline. It seems oddly timed, but also maybe an opportunity. If it falls enough, maybe my rebalance bands trigger. Please don't throw me into the briar patch - er I mean, force me to buy more stocks!
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest" - Benjamin Franklin
bugleheadd

Post by bugleheadd »

still waiting for the christmas rally
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

newyorker wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:38 pm Why is this thread even active today? 😤
Nobody goes to that other thread anymore. It's too crowded.

[with apologies to Yogi]
newyorker

Post by newyorker »

bugleheadd wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:58 pm still waiting for the christmas rally
I think we have been very naughty this year.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

bugleheadd wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:58 pm still waiting for the christmas rally
Or maybe a Christmas bear like 2018.
peskypesky

Post by peskypesky »

ApeAttack wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:44 pm

The threads continue to do a great job of soaking up the forum's silliness regardless how the market is performing on a given day.
I suggested this a day or two ago. It would make things a lot easier.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

peskypesky wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:12 pm

I suggested this a day or two ago. It would make things a lot easier.
Here we go:
peskypesky wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:13 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:04 pm
peskypesky wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:25 pm I think this thread should be merged with the one about US stock soaring.

The thread title could be: U.S. stocks soaring/in free fall/soaring/in free fall
Or to save ink, "Stock prices change!"

:wink:

RM
haha!
🍷 🍷

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

Tom_T wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:24 am You know it's fun when both the "stocks soaring!" and "stocks falling!' threads are getting simultaneous activity. :happy
They are usually both at the top of my forums list at the same time. LOL
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
anoop

Post by anoop »

Futures back to soaring.
HanSolo

Post by HanSolo »

With all this talk of merging, just thought I'd throw in my two cents and say not to merge. (Silent majority?)

The reason is that one thread may capture what people are doing about a soaring market (if anything), and the other may capture what people are doing in a free-fall (if anything).

My guess is that the motivation to merge is because perhaps the majority of posts are just general market commentary when the market is neither soaring nor free-falling (e.g., up or down by not even a full percent on a given day... just business as usual). I'm half-thinking that the issue can be resolved by creating a third thread, not sure of the title, but one word comes to mind: "yawn."

That being said, I'll try to make one comment pertinent to soaring... I see that the S&P futures are up by almost half a percent right now. That's worth almost half a yawn right there!
Strategic Macro Senior (top 1%, 2019 Bogleheads Contest)
ApeAttack

Post by ApeAttack »

HanSolo wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:33 pm
With all this talk of merging, just thought I'd throw in my two cents and say not to merge. (Silent majority?)

The reason is that one thread may capture what people are doing about a soaring market (if anything), and the other may capture what people are doing in a free-fall (if anything).

My guess is that the motivation to merge is because perhaps the majority of posts are just general market commentary when the market is neither soaring nor free-falling (e.g., up or down by not even a full percent on a given day... just business as usual). I'm half-thinking that the issue can be resolved by creating a third thread, not sure of the title, but one word comes to mind: "yawn."

That being said, I'll try to make one comment pertinent to soaring... I see that the S&P futures are up by almost half a percent right now. That's worth almost half a yawn right there!
I was just kidding. I should've used an emoji or something.
drk

Post by drk »

HanSolo wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:33 pm The reason is that one thread may capture what people are doing about a soaring market (if anything), and the other may capture what people are doing in a free-fall (if anything).
Go back to the OP. This thread only exists because one person (who has been AWOL since mid-2019) got tired of seeing the free-fall thread on days the market was up. Before that day in 2018, the other thread was already general purpose market commentary.
A useful razor: anyone asking about speculative strategies on Bogleheads.org has no business using them.
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

All I know is this market is soaring today. :moneybag
"In the short run, the stock market is a voting machine; in the long run, it is a weighing machine" ~Benjamin Graham
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

jason2459 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:21 am All I know is this market is soaring today. :moneybag
A break from the doom and gloom talk from last week.
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

NASDAQ is only up a bit. Not soaring. Just the Dow.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Tom_T wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:46 am NASDAQ is only up a bit. Not soaring. Just the Dow.
S&P is up nicely too. Almost 1%.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

You wonder how far growth has to fall. The Nasdaq was down nearly 5% last week but it doesn't look like much of a bounce today.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

ARK funds are still getting clubbed.
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

HanSolo wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:33 pm

Two threads are more fun because they are opposite and every once in a while one thread will dominate. We're seeing a lot of volatility so both threads are more in play.
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

Stinky wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:52 am
Tom_T wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:46 am NASDAQ is only up a bit. Not soaring. Just the Dow.
S&P is up nicely too. Almost 1%.
Someone should say something technical and how this will lead to doom or something.

Oh perhaps that belongs in the other thread...
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

lostdog wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:20 am ARK funds are still getting clubbed.
ARKK is finally in the green! Was down 4% at one point today
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

atdharris wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:36 am
lostdog wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:20 am ARK funds are still getting clubbed.
ARKK is finally in the green! Was down 4% at one point today
:beer
TheoLeo

Post by TheoLeo »

I am happy for the soaring. But it would be even better if all the super speculative stocks and assets would finally really crash. Lucid and Rivian trading at 100 billion. Nikola still trading at 4 billion. Palantir trading at 40 billion. Gamestop trading at 14 billion. This is too ridiculous. Wouldn`t it be nice for valuations to make sense again?
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

TheoLeo wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:04 pm I am happy for the soaring. But it would be even better if all the super speculative stocks and assets would finally really crash. Lucid and Rivian trading at 100 billion. Nikola still trading at 4 billion. Palantir trading at 40 billion. Gamestop trading at 14 billion. This is too ridiculous. Wouldn`t it be nice for valuations to make sense again?
Rising tide lift all boats, even those with holes in them. You'll have to wait 'til the Fed pulls the market support and let there be a real bear market.
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

Small cap is killing it today, after a real bad week.