U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
namajones

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by namajones »

anoop wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:27 am stocks -> down
bonds -> down
gold -> down
silver -> down
cash -> down (because of inflation)

2 fed presidents resigning doesn't help.

we need the new stimulus bills asap.
Sometimes "down less" is the best one can do. Don't disparage cash or overstate its depreciation. There's a reason that the saying "cash is king" has stood the test of time.
Last edited by namajones on Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

bonds -> down
gold -> down
silver -> down

A bad day, to be sure, but how about we just wait and see what happens tomorrow?
50% VTSAX | 25% VTIAX | 25% VBTLX (retirement), 25% VTEAX (taxable)
anoop

Post by anoop »

mikejuss wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:30 am
bonds -> down
gold -> down
silver -> down

A bad day, to be sure, but how about we just wait and see what happens tomorrow?
Let us see. My worry is that the market cannot tolerate even small drops without turning into a crash and I think we are already past that point. This means unless the fed announces an increase in asset purchases or we get a decent-sized stimulus bill, stocks will continue to drop.
vanbogle59

Post by vanbogle59 »

anoop wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:35 am My worry is ...
This means ...
All it really means is that you are worried.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

vanbogle59 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:37 am
anoop wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:35 am My worry is ...
This means ...
All it really means is that you are worried.
:wink:
rchmx1

Post by rchmx1 »

anoop wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:35 am
Let us see. My worry is that the market cannot tolerate even small drops without turning into a crash and I think we are already past that point. This means unless the fed announces an increase in asset purchases or we get a decent-sized stimulus bill, stocks will continue to drop.
2020 has been the year of small drops without a crash. Whaddaya talking about?? :)
StartedAt22

Post by StartedAt22 »

bonds -> down
gold -> down
silver -> down

This means unless the fed announces an increase in asset purchases or we get a decent-sized stimulus bill, stocks will continue to drop.
Or they don't announce anything, and the opposite happens. Feeling lucky?
A task begun is nearly half complete | Enough is as good as a feast | Risk: Ensure your goals can be met even under worst case scenario and be realistic.
staustin

Post by staustin »

bonds -> down
gold -> down
silver -> down

and therein lies the massive massive massive problem investors face today... can we move away from zero bound rates and debt monetization without a massive decrease in asset prices. each time it's been tried, rates increase markets drop leading to yet around round of qe. thus far we've not been able to exit such a strategy for any length of time. hence, cash is sometimes your best, worst option.
staustin

Post by staustin »

bonds -> down
gold -> down
silver -> down

and therein lies the massive massive massive problem investors face today... can we move away from zero bound rates and debt monetization without a massive decrease in asset prices. each time it's been tried, rates increase markets drop leading to yet around round of qe. thus far we've not been able to exit such a strategy for any length of time. hence, cash is sometimes your best, worst option.
anoop

Post by anoop »

rchmx1 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:08 am
2020 has been the year of small drops without a crash. Whaddaya talking about?? :)
This time is different. Several things -- inflation stickiness, no more stimulus checks expectation, federal unemployment ending, moratoriums over, ...
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

anoop wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:14 am
rchmx1 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:08 am
This time is different. Several things -- inflation stickiness, no more stimulus checks expectation, federal unemployment ending, moratoriums over, ...
You better go back to 100% cash then.
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

Futures are looking up this morning with only a few minutes to the open. :sharebeer
Answering a question is easy -- asking the right question is the hard part.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Taper down in progress.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

Rebound might be short-lived.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I am backing up Dave’s jet on the runway to load up on shares!😂💪

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

abuss368 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:47 am I am backing up Dave’s jet on the runway to load up on shares!😂💪

Tony
Better hurry -- we just got an updraft under our wings. :mrgreen:
Answering a question is easy -- asking the right question is the hard part.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Does anyone know why USD is suddenly gaining? Seems counter-intuitive as we possibly face a shutdown / default and what not.
drk

Post by drk »

Marseille07 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:29 pm Does anyone know why USD is suddenly gaining? Seems counter-intuitive as we possibly face a shutdown / default and what not.
Just spitballing: Treasury stopping payments means fewer dollars going into circulation, which would drive up the price of USD. The Fed has dollar swap-lines with many of the large central banks, but other countries need dollars for imports and lack such access.
A useful razor: anyone asking about speculative strategies on Bogleheads.org has no business using them.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

drk wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:34 pm
Marseille07 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:29 pm Does anyone know why USD is suddenly gaining? Seems counter-intuitive as we possibly face a shutdown / default and what not.
Just spitballing: Treasury stopping payments means fewer dollars going into circulation, which would drive up the price of USD. The Fed has dollar swap-lines with many of the large central banks, but other countries need dollars for imports and lack such access.
Thanks, this might very well be the case :beer I can't say I know much about forex, just found this phenomenon interesting.
bog007

Post by bog007 »

rip the shorts a new one on the last day of the quarter
Don’t let anyone else ruin your portfolio. It’s your portfolio. Ruin it yourself!!!
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

I don't know, but I like it.
minimalistmarc

Post by minimalistmarc »

bonds -> down
gold -> down
silver -> down

Let them drop. More opportunity.
minimalistmarc

Post by minimalistmarc »

The funny thing is. In USA the news reports it as the dollar gaining but in the U.K. the news reports as Sterling “plunging”. Is it one of these or a combination of both? Is there a difference?
HanSolo

Post by HanSolo »

Marseille07 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:29 pm Does anyone know why USD is suddenly gaining?
Yes. It's because a lot of people thought the USD was headed down.
Strategic Macro Senior (top 1%, 2019 Bogleheads Contest)
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

minimalistmarc wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:42 am
The funny thing is. In USA the news reports it as the dollar gaining but in the U.K. the news reports as Sterling “plunging”. Is it one of these or a combination of both? Is there a difference?
Well its an inverse function right? If the dollar gets stronger then sterling drops since the comparison is usually against the dollar...
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

I'll be glad to say goodbye to September.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

atdharris wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:24 am I'll be glad to say goodbye to September.
Not out of the woods yet, September has historically been a bad month for stocks, but October had the darkest days for stocks.
Then again...
Mark Twain in Pudd'nhead Wilson wrote:October: This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August and February.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Looks like another taper down in progress.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

minimalistmarc wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:39 am
bonds -> down
gold -> down
silver -> down

It's an opportunity if you don't have much money in the market and additional investments make a big difference to your net worth.

I've had days when my NW drops by the amount I've contributed to my 401(k), including generous matching and the mega backdoor. A little hard to call that "opportunity."
canadianbacon

Post by canadianbacon »

Whakamole wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:03 am It's an opportunity if you don't have much money in the market and additional investments make a big difference to your net worth.

I've had days when my NW drops by the amount I've contributed to my 401(k), including generous matching and the mega backdoor. A little hard to call that "opportunity."
Last March felt like shoveling cash into a furnace, but it turned out to be opportunity.
Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered.
Admiral

Post by Admiral »

Whakamole wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:03 am
bonds -> down
gold -> down
silver -> down

It's an opportunity if you don't have much money in the market and additional investments make a big difference to your net worth.

Well "opportunity" is somewhat subjective but, in general terms, you want stocks to have lower values in accumulation phase and higher values during deaccumulation. The long-term trend is up. But of course in the long term... we're all dead.

I believe the market is still up for the quarter even if it ends down for September.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

What happened?

We were up, and now we’re not. :confused
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

No wind in this market's sails this month. Let's hope for a better October
minimalistmarc

Post by minimalistmarc »

bonds -> down
gold -> down
silver -> down

I’m 100a% equities with 1.5 mil. I only have 30 - 40k a year to invest but I still like the “opportunity” even though it doesn’t really affect my contributions at all.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

canadianbacon wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:09 am
Whakamole wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:03 am It's an opportunity if you don't have much money in the market and additional investments make a big difference to your net worth.

Last March felt like shoveling cash into a furnace, but it turned out to be opportunity.
Yeah, that's what "buying the dip" always feels like. You're loading up for a rebound later; at the end of the day the markets have to go up eventually.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Marseille07 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:46 am

Yeah, that's what "buying the dip" always feels like. You're loading up for a rebound later; at the end of the day the markets have to go up eventually.
If COVID had turned out to be 5%-10% fatal, it could have been a LONG time before the markets went back up. Someday the risk might show up, and everyone here will be "What? I didn't think risk was real! Just buying opportunities!" :(
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

HomerJ wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:55 am If COVID had turned out to be 5%-10% fatal, it could have been a LONG time before the markets went back up. Someday the risk might show up, and everyone here will be "What? I didn't think risk was real! Just buying opportunities!" :(
Indeed. I'm surprised myself how fast the markets recovered after -35%.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

Marseille07 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:01 am
HomerJ wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:55 am If COVID had turned out to be 5%-10% fatal, it could have been a LONG time before the markets went back up. Someday the risk might show up, and everyone here will be "What? I didn't think risk was real! Just buying opportunities!" :(
Indeed. I'm surprised myself how fast the markets recovered after -35%.
Not only recovered, but skyrocketed past previous highs very quickly. I would have never imagined something like this happening. The markets truly are unpredictable in the short term.
anoop

Post by anoop »

minimalistmarc wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:43 am

I’m 100a% equities with 1.5 mil. I only have 30 - 40k a year to invest but I still like the “opportunity” even though it doesn’t really affect my contributions at all.
Wow. We are like polar opposites.
Candor

Post by Candor »

HomerJ wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:55 am
Marseille07 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:46 am

If COVID had turned out to be 5%-10% fatal, it could have been a LONG time before the markets went back up. Someday the risk might show up, and everyone here will be "What? I didn't think risk was real! Just buying opportunities!" :(
Now that I'm retired rebalancing into oblivion will be much more on my radar during the next significant downturn. I have no problem even increasing my equities 10% or so but I think it is prudent to keep a tight reign on bargain hunting in a market drop once you are retired.
Last edited by Candor on Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
gonefishing01

Post by gonefishing01 »

Sorry all- I re-invested my VTI dividends shortly after the market opened, all but ensuring things would go south for the rest of the day. :P
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

I was fully invested (except for emergency funds), so the only cash I was shoveling was my normal 401(k).

Need to run the numbers but I may have done better by TLH - I have a few years of $3000 deductions.
vanbogle59

Post by vanbogle59 »

homebuyer6426 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:55 pm
CurlyDave wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:51 pm
homebuyer6426 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:36 pm
…The worst wave of the flu was in 1918 and here is what the Dow Jones looked like. But the market bounces from the war were bigger in magnitude if you zoom out to the 5-10 year graph…
I am not certain that we can learn much from events in 1918 when printed newspapers were the primary source of news and 2021 when if Fauci sneezes it is known around the world in milliseconds.
Yes, and there are other factors that I probably can't discuss here which could make the events less comparable. I only claim that we don't have a historical precedent to be pessimistic about.
Fair enough. I appreciate the follow up.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed an off-topic interchange discussing viruses and pandemics beyond their effects on the market (vaccine effectiveness and epidemiology). The discussion was derailed. As a reminder, see: Please read before posting on coronavirus/COVID-19
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

Admiral wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:12 am I believe the market is still up for the quarter even if it ends down for September.
I believe that is called a jinx.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
trirunner

Post by trirunner »

Beensabu wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:11 pm
Admiral wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:12 am I believe the market is still up for the quarter even if it ends down for September.
Still true, still up about 10 points!
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

trirunner wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:32 pm
Beensabu wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:11 pm
Still true, still up about 10 points!
:oops: I was looking at July 1st close. Besides, it's total return that matters anyway, right?
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
HanSolo

Post by HanSolo »

atdharris wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:42 am No wind in this market's sails this month. Let's hope for a better October
For those of us who are buyers, "better" is when our purchases can be made at lower prices.

So, yes, let's hope for a better October!
anoop

Post by anoop »

HanSolo wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:36 pm
atdharris wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:42 am No wind in this market's sails this month. Let's hope for a better October
For those of us who are buyers, "better" is when our purchases can be made at lower prices.

we need a big stimulus bill to get passed. once we get that, all will be good. otherwise, all will be bad.
HanSolo

Post by HanSolo »

anoop wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:18 pm
HanSolo wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:36 pm

we need a big stimulus bill to get passed. once we get that, all will be good. otherwise, all will be bad.
No. Change "bad" to "good". Lower prices are good for those making stock purchases.

18,000 posts in this thread... cool!
Last edited by HanSolo on Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.