U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Stinky

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by Stinky »

European equities are up.

US futures are up.

It's looking like a soaring day for April 15 (formerly known as "Tax Day").
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Tamalak

Post by Tamalak »

I guess we know what people are doing with their refunds
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

Tamalak wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:44 am I guess we know what people are doing with their refunds
Once more unto the breach. Perhaps buying GME.
This time is the same
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

Hot off the press!

"Initial jobless claims drop to fresh pandemic-era low of 576,000" link
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

According to CNBC the 10 yr just dropped below 1.60%. Which is interesting considering retail sales were up 9.8%.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:02 am According to CNBC the 10 yr just dropped below 1.60%. Which is interesting considering retail sales were up 9.8%.
i thought people were supposed to be getting all scared about inflation, which you would think would drive yields up.
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
tsohg

Post by tsohg »

All news is spun as bad news, but the market continues to soar.

:sharebeer
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

watchnerd wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:11 am
TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:02 am According to CNBC the 10 yr just dropped below 1.60%. Which is interesting considering retail sales were up 9.8%.
i thought people were supposed to be getting all scared about inflation, which you would think would drive yields up.
I find the recent action in the 10 yr curious, perhaps foreign buying (someone here can explain the carry trade), but I also believe much of the reported inflation seems transitory. For me personally I have no real attraction to bond funds in the current environment.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

tsohg wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:15 am All news is spun as bad news, but the market continues to soar.

Climbing a wall of worry.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

tsohg wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:15 am All news is spun as bad news, but the market continues to soar.

They were almost partying on CNBC when the number came out, no on seemed to think they were bad news.
tsohg

Post by tsohg »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:19 am

They were almost partying on CNBC when the number came out, no on seemed to think they were bad news.
You have to admit there is a steady beat of "the big crash is coming" and "market is overpriced" and "this can't last" on this site and in the media (which I ignore). :D
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

tsohg wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:04 am

You have to admit there is a steady beat of "the big crash is coming" and "market is overpriced" and "this can't last" on this site and in the media (which I ignore). :D
Yes, I see lots of doom and gloom here, at least lots of vocal doom and gloom. In the media I see more we are due for a correction before the rally continues talk which is ultra market timing. People have made a lot of money and it is natural they start holding on a little tighter.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

If the "big crash" comes, there would likely be a big opportunity to rebalance. Not a bad thing, necessarily.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Yesterdaysnews

Post by Yesterdaysnews »

We had a big crash last March.... that was the chance to get in on the cheap.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

It's like this all of the time.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Financial asset hyperinflation :beer
All posts are my own opinions and are not financial advice.
dogagility

Post by dogagility »

Tamalak wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:52 am 72% gains annualized for April so far :oops:
Here's my reaction to the gains... :D :D
Make sure you check out my list of certifications. The list is short, and there aren't any. - Eric 0. from SMA
Stef

Post by Stef »

I'm starting to believe that stocks go only up.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

Stef wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:54 am I'm starting to believe that stocks go only up.
I would be worried if they were tanking after 5T in stimulus
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

tsohg wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:04 am You have to admit there is a steady beat of "the big crash is coming" and "market is overpriced" and "this can't last" on this site and in the media (which I ignore). :D
The stock market climbs a wall of worry :greedy
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Yesterdaysnews wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:22 am We had a big crash last March.... that was the chance to get in on the cheap.
I would contend the event in March did not last long enough to be considered a crash and most likely has built unrealistic expectations for how quickly markets recover.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

Making $10k a day in my portfolio is getting old real fast.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Ramjet wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:58 am
tsohg wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:04 am You have to admit there is a steady beat of "the big crash is coming" and "market is overpriced" and "this can't last" on this site and in the media (which I ignore). :D
The stock market climbs a wall of worry :greedy
Worries are specific events that either don't come to past or are managed, the items listed above are not worries they are constants in bull markets.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:04 am
Yesterdaysnews wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:22 am We had a big crash last March.... that was the chance to get in on the cheap.
I would contend the event in March did not last long enough to be considered a crash and most likely has built unrealistic expectations for how quickly markets recover.
Go back and read the "dread" comments from last March. I count that as a crash in my opinion.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Ramjet wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:55 am
Stef wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:54 am I'm starting to believe that stocks go only up.
I would be worried if they were tanking after 5T in stimulus
Yeah, no kidding! :shock:

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:06 am Making $10k a day in my portfolio is getting old real fast.
Remember last March when we couldn't handle seeing the dread, end of world and sell comments in the free fall thread? You and I both had to move over to the Calm thread.

We're getting rewarded for holding last March. I'll take it. :beer
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Wow!

Just wow.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

lostdog wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:12 am
TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:04 am
Go back and read the "dread" comments from last March. I count that as a crash in my opinion.
We have "dread" comments today. In fact for a forum that is always cheering for a drop it is odd that they would react with dread to such a buying opportunity. Quick drops and recoveries while scary do not inflict either the pain or damage of long, grinding moves lower imho.
Triple digit golfer

lostdog wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:14 am
Triple digit golfer wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:06 am Making $10k a day in my portfolio is getting old real fast.
Remember last March when we couldn't handle seeing the dread, end of world and sell comments in the free fall thread? You and I both had to move over to the Calm thread.

Yes sir. It didn't feel good to watch my balances decline so fast, hundreds of thousands of dollars of value gone in a few weeks. I didn't want to sell and lock in losses. I didn't want to buy into what I thought was potentially going to be a really bad market and decline for a long time. I was scared for my job, being a one income family with a toddler and seeing more and more businesses and activities being shut down every day. I thought the world might stop and I'd be sitting at home for months without an income. Or toilet paper! :!:

But, I held firm, kept investing every pay period and whenever money was available, and came out of it worth seven figures earlier this year. :sharebeer
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:23 am

Yes sir. It didn't feel good to watch my balances decline so fast, hundreds of thousands of dollars of value gone in a few weeks. I didn't want to sell and lock in losses. I didn't want to buy into what I thought was potentially going to be a really bad market and decline for a long time. I was scared for my job, being a one income family with a toddler and seeing more and more businesses and activities being shut down every day. I thought the world might stop and I'd be sitting at home for months without an income. Or toilet paper! :!:

But, I held firm, kept investing every pay period and whenever money was available, and came out of it worth seven figures earlier this year. :sharebeer
Yep, you held and now it's paying off. :sharebeer
tsohg

Post by tsohg »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:18 am

If the "big crash" comes, there would likely be a big opportunity to rebalance. Not a bad thing, necessarily.

Broken Man 1999
Yeah, it hit a year ago and this site was flooded with "this time it's different"-style BS posts! It's been such an interesting 14 months. Here's to more soaring!
Triple digit golfer

lostdog wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:25 am

Not only on here, but at work last year, before we all went home, I had to hear from my CEO and a guy who is at the same level as I am, that I was "f*****g stupid, dude" (exact words) for not selling, that how could I think the market won't go lower because it hasn't even gotten bad yet! Obviously they had no idea that markets are forward looking and expectations are priced in. This was on Monday, March 16 around 10:00 Central time, if I had to guess, after the markets opened at a huge drop. They would have had to try to time it much worse than that.
tsohg

Post by tsohg »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:35 am Not only on here, but at work last year, before we all went home, I had to hear from my CEO and a guy who is at the same level as I am, that I was "f*****g stupid, dude" (exact words) for not selling, that how could I think the market won't go lower because it hasn't even gotten bad yet! Obviously they had no idea that markets are forward looking and expectations are priced in. This was on Monday, March 16 around 10:00 Central time, if I had to guess, after the markets opened at a huge drop. They would have had to try to time it much worse than that.
I also had friends who are very smart and successful making classic mistakes (no one called me f****** stupid though, thankfully). Panic selling because "this is different".

There were also posts here questioning "boglehead philosophy" because buy and hold doesn't work anymore, or can't be applied because COVID was something "new". Shockingly, buy and hold again prevailed.

Personally, all I did was some TLH and continue to buy.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

There were random troll accounts created during this time doing exactly what you said. Admins had to kick them off the forum it was so bad.

There were also posts here questioning "boglehead philosophy" because buy and hold doesn't work anymore, or can't be applied because COVID was something "new". Shockingly, buy and hold again prevailed.

tsohg

Post by tsohg »

lostdog wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:44 am There were random troll accounts created during this time doing exactly what you said. Admins had to kick them off the forum it was so bad.

Yep. I'm glad things have returned to normal. Hopefully we picked up new members who are contributing in good faith, too.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Looks like gold soaring. The end is nigh.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

viewtopic.php?p=5084083#p5084083
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:54 am

viewtopic.php?p=5084083#p5084083
eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon »

Tamalak wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:44 am I guess we know what people are doing with their refunds
Investors that drive the market don't get tax refunds.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

eye.surgeon wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:58 am
Investors that drive the market don't get tax refunds.
FWIW, I get a tax refund every year.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

Well, my efforts to create a geared global portfolio hit the stark reality that the volume on 2x-3x international ETFs is scary thin.

So SSO only it is....
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

IMHO +/- 1% is almost a daily event, and +/- 2% is routine. Even +/- 3-4% happens often enough that it is no big deal.

Of course I have always let my fun money ride and not brought it back into the index funds, so I probably have move volatility than many.
Answering a question is easy -- asking the right question is the hard part.
Somethingwitty92912

Post by Somethingwitty92912 »

It’s only when the news starts talking about how great things are that I consider selling 😆
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

rockstar wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:50 am Looks like gold soaring. The end is nigh.
LTT is also soaring, TMF is up 5+% :beer
e5116

Post by e5116 »

I keep waiting for a pullback and it never happens. I admit I held back some cash in 2020 Q4/2021 Q1 as an emotional hedge/uncertainty with COVID (I didn't sell or anything), and am looking to get that in the market....I recognized the fallacy in my logic, but felt I could live with it (and I have). But would like a small pullback to make myself feel psychologically better and get in more, haha.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

e5116 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:06 pm I keep waiting for a pullback and it never happens.
Here is what the pullback looked like in 2021 in a Morningstar chart:

You must have slept through it because it happened.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

I know it may seem tiring and far away now, but someday your portfolio will grow to have daily respectable dollar gains.

:wink: :beer
Triple digit golfer

watchnerd wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:19 pm
I know it may seem tiring and far away now, but someday your portfolio will grow to have daily respectable dollar gains.

You stop it.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

watchnerd wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:19 pm

Mr. big shot over here LOL

I'm buying more S&P and Total Intl
All posts are my own opinions and are not financial advice.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

livesoft wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:16 pm
e5116 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:06 pm I keep waiting for a pullback and it never happens.
Here is what the pullback looked like in 2021 in a Morningstar chart:

You must have slept through it because it happened.
Livesoft endorsing the MTUM, today is a momentous day indeed.