U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
sailaway

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by sailaway »

I didn't get any cake!!
yog

Post by yog »

TheTimeLord wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:56 pm Anyone else have theme music for the start of the trading day?
Song 2 (Blur, 1998) or 1999 (Prince)
Whoo-hoo!
:mrgreen:
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

yog wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:12 pm
TheTimeLord wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:56 pm Anyone else have theme music for the start of the trading day?
Song 2 (Blur, 1998) or 1999 (Prince)
Whoo-hoo!
:mrgreen:
Immigrant Song (Led Zeppelin) is my primary
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

“Fly, robin fly
Fly, robin fly
Fly, robin fly
Up, up to the sky”

Silver Convention - 1975
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Cum on Feel the Noize -- Quiet Riot

Lyrics say it all. They would also fit this thread particularly well.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

sailaway wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:07 pm I didn't get any cake!!
The cake is a lie.

(Actually no idea... I'm just such a Portal fan, I always have to say that whenever someone mentions cake).
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

HomerJ wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:44 pm
The cake is a lie.

(Actually no idea... I'm just such a Portal fan, I always have to say that whenever someone mentions cake).
I almost went with that one. More of a whiny mood tonight, for non financial reasons...
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:43 pm
Cum on Feel the Noize -- Quiet Riot

Lyrics say it all. They would also fit this thread particularly well.
Ah-ah, ah!
Ah-ah, ah!
We come from the land of the ice and snow
From the midnight sun where the hot springs flow
The hammer of the gods
Will drive our ships to new lands
To fight the horde, sing and cry
Valhalla, I am coming
On we sweep with threshing oar
Our only goal will be the western shore
Ah-ah, ah!
Ah-ah, ah!
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I am backing up my spaceship 🚀 on Friday for more shares.

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
peskypesky

Post by peskypesky »

steve roy wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:42 pm
peskypesky wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:10 pm
drk wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:44 pm It makes sense when you realize that the "terrible" inflation has been great for corporate profits.
Yes! We can have high inflation, high corporate profits, increasing interest rates, QE tapering and cake! Turns out...we can actually have it all.
Is America a great country or what?
yes, sir!! An economic miracle!
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Today QQQE outperforming QQQ, now that is interesting to me.
goodenyou
Location: Skating to Where the Puck is Going to Be..or on the golf course

Post by goodenyou »

Qu'ils mangent de la brioche
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" | “At 50, everyone has the face he deserves”
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:17 am Today QQQE outperforming QQQ, now that is interesting to me.
I don't even know what QQQE is. Maybe it is a new trend to add a letter after QQQ?
z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l »

Marseille07 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:23 am
TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:17 am Today QQQE outperforming QQQ, now that is interesting to me.
I don't even know what QQQE is. Maybe it is a new trend to add a letter after QQQ?
"Equal Weighted Index allots the same weight, or importance, to each stock in the index."

It does have a pretty smooth looking chart.
70% Global Stocks / 30% Bonds
newyorker

Post by newyorker »

Just dropped like crazy
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

z3r0c00l wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:28 am
"Equal Weighted Index allots the same weight, or importance, to each stock in the index."

Thank you, I haven't traded QQQE but the chart looks interesting.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

z3r0c00l wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:28 am

You have similar action between SPY and RSP today.

*I currently have no position in QQQE. But I find watching the action between the market cap weighted version of an index and the equal weight to be interesting. Probably not much different than someone who watches Small Cat vs Small Cap Val vs Small Cap Growth.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

SPX making a comeback here, let's finish the day in Greenland!
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Marseille07 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:44 pm SPX making a comeback here, let's finish the day in Greenland!
Can't decide if I should be playing Queen or Springsteen.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

Soaring! That's right folks, the nightmare is finally over! Nasdaq futures lead. Everything is back to what it should be.

"Wednesday: Bond yields rise in Europe as bunds hit positive level with US 10 year yields steady. Equity futures steady and dollar down a bit. Despite talk of 50 bp hike by Fed we see a more moderate path. The balance sheet that gives the Fed optionality." Kathy Jones on Twitter
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

Robot Monster wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:32 am Soaring! That's right folks, the nightmare is finally over! Nasdaq futures lead. Everything is back to what it should be.

"Wednesday: Bond yields rise in Europe as bunds hit positive level with US 10 year yields steady. Equity futures steady and dollar down a bit. Despite talk of 50 bp hike by Fed we see a more moderate path. The balance sheet that gives the Fed optionality." Kathy Jones on Twitter
Ha, that's funny.
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

What is this color the futures are in right now?
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

atdharris wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:13 am What is this color the futures are in right now?
Looks mostly GREEN
https://www.investing.com/indices/indices-futures
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Between soaring and falling threads there is lots of talk about market direction and whatever someone read on Twitter today, but little mention of investment moves based on these priceless insights. All very Shakespearean,‘Sound and fury, signifying nothing’.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

TheTimeLord wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:26 am Between soaring and falling threads there is lots of talk about market direction and whatever someone read on Twitter today, but little mention of investment moves based on these priceless insights. All very Shakespearean,‘Sound and fury, signifying nothing’.
That indeed is the theme of this thread, sound and fury, signifying nothing. There's also Eliot.

Our dried voices, when
We whisper together
Are quiet and meaningless
As wind in dry grass
Or rats' feet over broken glass
In our dry cellar

If this thread was closed down, it would improve Bogleheads, IMO. "This thread has run its course and is locked. Non-actionable."
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

After 40 minutes, everything is green (US, exUS, treasury bonds, corporate bonds). I like this.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

Robot Monster wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:44 am
If this thread was closed down, it would improve Bogleheads, IMO. "This thread has run its course and is locked. Non-actionable."
Be careful what you wish for. This is the only place where anything friendly is truly allowed. if you get rid of this, you'd have very little activity except links to some article on the internet:
Hey I found a new Joe Schmuckatelli article/podcast/paperJoe S says "You are all idiots" which disproves all boglehead beliefs, what you do you think?
Along with people saying they don't want to read the HFEA thread. The Boglehead style of investing just doesn't need all that much reinvention.
This time is the same
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

firebirdparts wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:10 am
Be careful what you wish for. This is the only place where anything friendly is truly allowed. if you get rid of this, you'd have very little activity except links to some article on the internet:
Hey I found a new Joe Schmuckatelli article/podcast/paperJoe S says "You are all idiots" which disproves all boglehead beliefs, what you do you think?
Along with people saying they don't want to read the HFEA thread. The Boglehead style of investing just doesn't need all that much reinvention.
I really don't want to get into a debate about whether or not this thread should exist, because I don't want to derail the thread.

Let's get back to the topic at hand: soaring.

So the market is soaring at the moment. Nice. And non-actionable. Fun.
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

Tapering down pretty aggressively now.
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

Robot Monster wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:24 am So the market is soaring at the moment. Nice. And non-actionable. Fun.
I think we have different definitions of "soaring." Besides, it's no longer soaring by anyone's definition.
goodenyou
Location: Skating to Where the Puck is Going to Be..or on the golf course

Post by goodenyou »

Did someone call the cops to breakup the party?
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" | “At 50, everyone has the face he deserves”
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

atdharris wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:28 am Tapering down pretty aggressively now.
Aggressive tapering.

I like it! Well, no I don't, but I do like the term.
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

Tom_T wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:36 am
Robot Monster wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:24 am So the market is soaring at the moment. Nice. And non-actionable. Fun.
I think we have different definitions of "soaring." Besides, it's no longer soaring by anyone's definition.
Talking head just told me it's time to buy the dip.
"In the short run, the stock market is a voting machine; in the long run, it is a weighing machine" ~Benjamin Graham
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

jason2459 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:48 am
Tom_T wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:36 am
Talking head just told me it's time to buy the dip.
There's also "don't try to catch a falling knife." Plenty of pithy sayings in the investment world. There's one for every occasion.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

TheTimeLord wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:26 am Between soaring and falling threads there is lots of talk about market direction and whatever someone read on Twitter today, but little mention of investment moves based on these priceless insights. All very Shakespearean,‘Sound and fury, signifying nothing’.
That indeed is the theme of this thread, sound and fury, signifying nothing. There's also Eliot.

Our dried voices, when
We whisper together
Are quiet and meaningless
As wind in dry grass
Or rats' feet over broken glass
In our dry cellar

Would you also close down "U.S. Stocks In Free Fall"?

But it does seem that they should be combined.
I'm getting a bit dizzy toggling back and forth do much. :annoyed

And I prefer "The fog comes on little cat feet" to "rat's fee over broken glass".
And perhaps we should more often sit silent (on our haunches or not) and then move on...

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Robot Monster wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:44 am If this thread was closed down, it would improve Bogleheads, IMO. "This thread has run its course and is locked. Non-actionable."
Just don't read it.
The Sensible Steward
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

willthrill81 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:29 am
Robot Monster wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:44 am If this thread was closed down, it would improve Bogleheads, IMO. "This thread has run its course and is locked. Non-actionable."
Just don't read it.
That would entail willpower. Yeah, maybe that's the real problem: me.
vanbogle59

Post by vanbogle59 »

willthrill81 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:29 am
Just don't read it.
IIRC correctly, there was a google engineer who published regional stats on certain searches.
He compared one where it was socially acceptable to engage in certain "adult" activities with one where such activities were VERY MUCH NOT.
Yet both communities searched for videos of these activities at very similar rates.
Revealed vs stated preference.

Bogleheads "Don't peek".
Page 407 says otherwise.
:sharebeer
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

Diversified portfolios are up today.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:49 am Diversified portfolios are up today.
Bond and ex-US allocation helping for sure.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:49 am Diversified portfolios are up today.
It is starting to look like all portfolios are up today.

Except ours. But they are down because my funny money is in AAPL. That is forgivable because that holding is up 12,521% since it was purchased. :D
Answering a question is easy -- asking the right question is the hard part.
Doc7

Post by Doc7 »

ResearchMed wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:28 am

And I prefer "The fog comes on little cat feet" to "rat's fee over broken glass".
And perhaps we should more often sit silent (on our haunches or not) and then move on...

RM

I've posted this before, but I think that the Soaring and Free Falling threads are now an essential component of the Bogleheads.org experience. We (on the average) don't market time on this site. We also on the average "tune out the noise". But logging in and seeing if the Free Falling or Soaring thread is the active one at the moment is a funny way to "check on the market conditions", and the herd traveling back and forth from one thread to another makes it quite clear that it is all in fun and nobody is predicting what will happen, merely what is and has happened. By combining into one thread it has the possibility of delving into a real market timing, nay-saying, catch all of market discussions, rather than the humorous see-saw that can happen from hour to hour as each day progresses.

Plus, I love having 2 threads where whether they are GREEN or RED, we can make fun of VXUS!!! (I hold 20% of Equities there)
Nathan Drake

Post by Nathan Drake »

Doc7 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:47 am

RM

I've posted this before, but I think that the Soaring and Free Falling threads are now an essential component of the Bogleheads.org experience. We (on the average) don't market time on this site. We also on the average "tune out the noise". But logging in and seeing if the Free Falling or Soaring thread is the active one at the moment is a funny way to "check on the market conditions", and the herd traveling back and forth from one thread to another makes it quite clear that it is all in fun and nobody is predicting what will happen, merely what is and has happened. By combining into one thread it has the possibility of delving into a real market timing, nay-saying, catch all of market discussions, rather than the humorous see-saw that can happen from hour to hour as each day progresses.

Plus, I love having 2 threads where whether they are GREEN or RED, we can make fun of VXUS!!! (I hold 20% of Equities there)
Us VXUS tilters are laughing at US only holders this year. Diversification is good :beer
20% VOO | 20% VXUS | 20% AVUV | 20% AVDV | 20% AVES
csmath

Post by csmath »

Nathan Drake wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:38 pm

RM

Us VXUS tilters are laughing at US only holders this year. Diversification is good :beer
Laughing from the caboose I suppose. If only VXUS tilters could see the US tilters grins through the dust and back of their heads. At least a closing gap is better than a widening one right? It provides hope in the meantime. Maybe roles will reverse while it still matters!
Nathan Drake

Post by Nathan Drake »

csmath wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:53 pm

RM

Laughing from the caboose I suppose. If only VXUS tilters could see the US tilters grins through the dust and back of their heads. At least a closing gap is better than a widening one right? It provides hope in the meantime. Maybe roles will reverse while it still matters!
I have about 50 years worth of time for it to matter. I’ll enjoy the historically higher SWR due to diversification

marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

RM

Since you kept insisting your international was only a very small tilt, not sure what you are so excited about :beer

SCV seems to be suffering along with US TSM :(
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nathan Drake

Post by Nathan Drake »

marcopolo wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:06 pm

RM

Since you kept insisting your international was only a very small tilt, not sure what you are so excited about :beer

SCV seems to be suffering along with US TSM :(
It’s 60% ExUS, small is relative to your reference.

Value has been fine for exUS DM and EM

S&P has lost 5% but my overall portfolio is positive
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Nathan Drake wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:05 pm I’ll enjoy the historically higher SWR due to diversification
You can't enjoy anything "historically". You can crow when you get actual better long-term results.
Last edited by HomerJ on Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
csmath

Post by csmath »

Nathan Drake wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:05 pm
csmath wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:53 pm

RM

I have about 50 years worth of time for it to matter. I’ll enjoy the historically higher SWR due to diversification

I truly hope diversification continues to do well but I certainly don’t think historical SWR can be enjoyed by anyone who can’t time travel. Perhaps our SWR ends up being similar to the historical one though. Maybe even better! :sharebeer
Nathan Drake

Post by Nathan Drake »

HomerJ wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:10 pm
Nathan Drake wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:05 pm I’ll enjoy the historically higher SWR due to diversification
You can't enjoy anything "historically". You can crow when you get actual better results.
That can be said about anything, but diversification over long holding periods improves SWR and SORR outcomes, and intuitively it should make sense why