The Final, Definitive Thread on Brokerage Transfer Bonuses

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Ron Ronnerson

Re: The Final, Definitive Thread on Brokerage Transfer Bonuses

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:11 pm
m2go wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:17 am I'm looking to move my accounts around for a new round of bonus offers. SLim pickings these days, and even less options for IRA as far as I can tell.
This site appears to have a good list of offers currently out there => https://www.moneycrashers.com/best-brok ... us-offers/

I tried to sign up for Ally, but it said I was an "existing customer" because I had an account a few years ago, and made me log in. Then, didn't find a way to apply with the promo. Has anybody with past Ally Invest account managed to get a promo?

Can you recommend other accounts with generous transfer offers? (I have currently have Citi, Etrade, Ameritrade, but I am happy to move funds out from each of them to be a "new customer", provided history doesn't count like it seems at Ally.)

Thanks for your advice
The TradeStation bonus looks pretty good. Has anyone got a bonus with TradeStation before ? If so, any comments ?
I have gotten a bonus from TradeStation. My wife and I each did this offer: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/tradesta ... 100-bonus/

For this offer, you put in $500 and get $20 per month for five months. We have received $20 per month per account for the past three months with no issue and have a couple more months to go. We will likely close the account in a year, having earned $200 on the $1k we had to deposit into our two accounts.

The offer was easy to fulfill to earn the bonus but the website takes some getting used to. To find your balance, you have to click on “accounts” and then “equities accounts.” Next, click on “activity summary.” I’m not doing any trading in the account, by the way.

If you’re not deterred by bizarre websites and trading platforms in the quest for bonuses, Tasty Works is worth consideration also. My wife and I opened accounts there a few months back and deposited $2000 per account. The bonus was 100 shares of stock. We each got shares of GERN (I think it’s a biotech company) and immediately sold the shares. I think we made something like $165 per account. People receive shares of various companies and some have gotten luckier than us. Details here: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/tastywor ... -1-6-each/
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

m2go wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:17 am I tried to sign up for Ally, but it said I was an "existing customer" because I had an account a few years ago, and made me log in. Then, didn't find a way to apply with the promo. Has anybody with past Ally Invest account managed to get a promo?
I was denied a bonus at ally because I had a tradeking account long ago before they were bought up.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

That recent list didn't include etrade for some reason but they have some:

This one is advertised: https://us.etrade.com/what-we-offer/how-it-works/promo

Another link that was on this thread was here: https://us.etrade.com/what-we-offer/how ... ra-cfc3500
but on that it says "You must be the original recipient of this offer to enroll" and it's not certain if it would work to get the higher bonus so you might want to check with them.
stilllurking

Post by stilllurking »

m2go wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:17 am I'm looking to move my accounts around for a new round of bonus offers. SLim pickings these days, and even less options for IRA as far as I can tell.
This site appears to have a good list of offers currently out there => https://www.moneycrashers.com/best-brok ... us-offers/

I tried to sign up for Ally, but it said I was an "existing customer" because I had an account a few years ago, and made me log in. Then, didn't find a way to apply with the promo. Has anybody with past Ally Invest account managed to get a promo?

Can you recommend other accounts with generous transfer offers? (I have currently have Citi, Etrade, Ameritrade, but I am happy to move funds out from each of them to be a "new customer", provided history doesn't count like it seems at Ally.)

Thanks for your advice
The TradeStation bonus looks pretty good. Has anyone got a bonus with TradeStation before ? If so, any comments ?
I just completed a deposit $500+ receive $100 over a five month period. They were prompt with the deposits. Customer service is swamped so you need to pick a time early during the business day to get a hold of them if you need help. Otherwise it was a smooth transaction.
SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:50 pm

Thanks for your advice
I have gotten a bonus from TradeStation. My wife and I each did this offer: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/tradesta ... 100-bonus/

For this offer, you put in $500 and get $20 per month for five months. We have received $20 per month per account for the past three months with no issue and have a couple more months to go. We will likely close the account in a year, having earned $200 on the $1k we had to deposit into our two accounts.

The offer was easy to fulfill to earn the bonus but the website takes some getting used to. To find your balance, you have to click on “accounts” and then “equities accounts.” Next, click on “activity summary.” I’m not doing any trading in the account, by the way.
Thanks. 2 more questions for anyone who has obtained a TradeStation bonus
1) Do they support ACATs ?
2) if one does an IRA transfer, do they deposit the bonus in the IRA or do they require a regular account for deposit ?
m2go

Post by m2go »

placeholder wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:31 pm That recent list didn't include etrade for some reason but they have some:

Another link that was on this thread was here: https://us.etrade.com/what-we-offer/how ... ra-cfc3500
but on that it says "You must be the original recipient of this offer to enroll" and it's not certain if it would work to get the higher bonus so you might want to check with them.
Currently have my funds at E-Trade (both IRA and non-IRA), so need to evacuate those accounts because the latest promo is very explicit about "new customers", with a separate much worse tier for "existing customers". I may have to go to Ally just to park my funds there, and then come back as a "new customer". (At least, it suggests Ally reimburses transfer fees... do they claw them back if the customer leaves again soonish?)

Merril has been lingering at a low 600$ for 200k$. It's been a while since they've offered any higher tiers. Has anybody seen a promo for Platinum Rewards customers with 900$ recently?

Also, what about M1 Finance? Are the safe? Useful? Any gotchas?
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

I don't think edge has any offers currently.
wheretoputit

Post by wheretoputit »

m2go wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:20 pm
placeholder wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:31 pm
Merril has been lingering at a low 600$ for 200k$. It's been a while since they've offered any higher tiers. Has anybody seen a promo for Platinum Rewards customers with 900$ recently?
I had the $900 Platinum Honors sign up bonus invite sitting on my desk for a couple of months with the intention of using it. I knew it expired in April but thought their $600 would still be offered. I was all ready to sign up with Merrill Edge this afternoon, called in, and was told they are NOT offering bonuses at the moment.

I have $200k+ @ BoA (and have been Plat Honors for years) and was planing to move in ~$200k more to put within ME (and then moving a whole bunch out of BoA savings as I didn't want cash sitting there but wanted to maintain my status) but didn't pull the trigger.

I'm assuming I should go ahead and sign up even without the bonus? Or will the bonus likely be back soon?
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

wheretoputit wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:25 pm
m2go wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:20 pm
placeholder wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:31 pm
I had the $900 Platinum Honors sign up bonus invite sitting on my desk for a couple of months with the intention of using it. I knew it expired in April but thought their $600 would still be offered. I was all ready to sign up with Merrill Edge this afternoon, called in, and was told they are NOT offering bonuses at the moment.

I have $200k+ @ BoA (and have been Plat Honors for years) and was planing to move in ~$200k more to put within ME (and then moving a whole bunch out of BoA savings as I didn't want cash sitting there but wanted to maintain my status) but didn't pull the trigger.

I'm assuming I should go ahead and sign up even without the bonus? Or will the bonus likely be back soon?
[ quote fixed by admin LadyGeek]

No one can predict the future. If you need to keep $100k at ME, then put $100k at ME. I keep some VWIUX (Vanguard intermediate term tax-exempt bond fund) there.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

It never hurts to contact a custodian and let them know you have 200k to move and ask for a bonus even when there's no advertised one.
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

While not a "bonus" per se Stockpile is letting people buy stocks with a credit card without fees: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/stockpil ... card-fees/

This is a service like the old Sharebuilder or the current M1 Finance, where you buy and sell stocks at the day's closing price. The interface is horribly basic to anyone used to a regular broker but works great for custodial accounts and as a place to buy and hold for future transfer. I have used them to buy and sell and they do faithfully match the day's close according to Yahoo. The main issue is going to be not triggering your bank's fraud alert, and that event using up the day's $10,000 allowance.
tj

Post by tj »

calwatch wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:06 am While not a "bonus" per se Stockpile is letting people buy stocks with a credit card without fees: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/stockpil ... card-fees/

This is a service like the old Sharebuilder or the current M1 Finance, where you buy and sell stocks at the day's closing price. The interface is horribly basic to anyone used to a regular broker but works great for custodial accounts and as a place to buy and hold for future transfer. I have used them to buy and sell and they do faithfully match the day's close according to Yahoo. The main issue is going to be not triggering your bank's fraud alert, and that event using up the day's $10,000 allowance.
Seems like a nice option for credit card sign up bonuses, buy an Ultra Short bond ETF, the sign up bonus will dwarf any day-to-day variations in price.
abracadabra11

Post by abracadabra11 »

Has anyone had success in getting reimbursed by ETRADE for account transfer fees when opening a new account?

I received a message center reply that indicated that IRA accounts weren't eligible for reibursement. But I'm new to ETRADE so I don't know how much I should accept the response or ask again via other means.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

Has anyone had success transfering vanguard mutual funds to M1. Particularly VTSAX (vanguard total stock) and VFWAX (vanguard FTSE all world ex-us) or VSIAX (vanguard total international?)
SlowMovingInvestor

EnjoyIt wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:47 pm Has anyone had success transfering vanguard mutual funds to M1. Particularly VTSAX (vanguard total stock) and VFWAX (vanguard FTSE all world ex-us) or VSIAX (vanguard total international?)
M1 doesn't accept MFs. Only ETF/Stocks.

You can convert VTSAX to VTI and VFWAX to VEU (VTI and VEU are ETFs) and then transfer.
pre

Post by pre »

placeholder wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:31 pm That recent list didn't include etrade for some reason but they have some:

Curious if any folks have tried the Etrade IRA offer as an existing customer?

Thanks
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:13 pm
EnjoyIt wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:47 pm Has anyone had success transfering vanguard mutual funds to M1. Particularly VTSAX (vanguard total stock) and VFWAX (vanguard FTSE all world ex-us) or VSIAX (vanguard total international?)

You can convert VTSAX to VTI and VFWAX to VEU (VTI and VEU are ETFs) and then transfer.
I know I can make that conversion at vanguard. But can it be done at Ally? Probably not.
SlowMovingInvestor

EnjoyIt wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:03 pm

I know I can make that conversion at vanguard. But can it be done at Ally? Probably not.
I think it has to be done at VG. They use some magic in their back end systems to do it.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:06 pm

I think it has to be done at VG. They use some magic in their back end systems to do it.
I really like the convenience of mutual funds. I don't have to worry about limit orders or guessing what is a decent price to buy. Just place the order and it settles at the end of the day. But, I guess if I'm going to be playing the bonus game, I probably should switch to ETFs.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

calwatch wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:06 am While not a "bonus" per se Stockpile is letting people buy stocks with a credit card without fees: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/stockpil ... card-fees/

This is the second time they have run this promo, and both times I have hit it HARD like a piledriver. The secret is a wallet full of well seasoned cards where nothing triggers a fraud alert. And at least one with a sign up bonus. I am the walrus.
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

EnjoyIt wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:47 pm

I really like the convenience of mutual funds. I don't have to worry about limit orders or guessing what is a decent price to buy. Just place the order and it settles at the end of the day. But, I guess if I'm going to be playing the bonus game, I probably should switch to ETFs.
M1 turns ETF transactions into mutual fund-like transactions, only once per day, no choice on your part of price.
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

whodidntante wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:17 pm

This is the second time they have run this promo, and both times I have hit it HARD like a piledriver. The secret is a wallet full of well seasoned cards where nothing triggers a fraud alert. And at least one with a sign up bonus. I am the walrus.
I’m right there with you my friend!
tj

Post by tj »

Tingting1013 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:39 pm

M1 turns ETF transactions into mutual fund-like transactions, only once per day, no choice on your part of price.
Except you don't get the end-of-day price.
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

tj wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:31 pm
Tingting1013 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:39 pm

Except you don't get the end-of-day price.
So what? Why is end of day price any more special than the beginning of day price?
SlowMovingInvestor

Could you explain how Stockpile works -- you fund the account with a credit card, and then buy stock with it ? And the funding transaction doesn't trigger a cash advance ?

Also, why would this trigger a fraud alert ?

Thanks
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:30 am

Could you explain how Stockpile works -- you fund the account with a credit card, and then buy stock with it ? And the funding transaction doesn't trigger a cash advance ?

Also, why would this trigger a fraud alert ?

Thanks
There are two extensive threads over at doctorofcredit.com that I've contributed to. By now, every possible question short of the meaning of life has been asked and answered there. You should know that there are certain risks involved and I'm not advising anyone to do it. The bank could end their relationship with you, or you could forget to redeem the gift card you bought, just to name a couple. But the risks are fine for me.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/stockpil ... card-fees/
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/stockpil ... -26-11-29/
gobel

Post by gobel »

How hard is "hard"? The comments seem to say there is a 25k limit (yearly or maybe monthly?) Is that right? The 10k daily limit was more clear. However, the faq also said not to log in when buying giftcards, so what is the limit against? Just the CC or email address so easy to change?

Anyway, even if limits can be bypassed, to do 100k would take 50 egiftcards. It does seem kind of risky. (I like this broker's originality though, ie. the $100 physical giftcards. I'll have to take a look at the grocery store next time.)
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

gobel wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:28 pm

How hard is "hard"? The comments seem to say there is a 25k limit (yearly or maybe monthly?) Is that right? The 10k daily limit was more clear. However, the faq also said not to log in when buying giftcards, so what is the limit against? Just the CC or email address so easy to change?

Anyway, even if limits can be bypassed, to do 100k would take 50 egiftcards. It does seem kind of risky. (I like this broker's originality though, ie. the $100 physical giftcards. I'll have to take a look at the grocery store next time.)
An amount that I want to do. :wink:

If you do 100k on a short timeframe then you are braver than I. To me, that's an unacceptable risk.
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

There is a $25,000 annual limit per card as well. Overall with a standard 2% cash back card, it's a way to get a bigger bonus than any of the other brokerages are paying... for now.
SlowMovingInvestor

Maybe I'm naive, but -- if you actually buy the stock/ETF with the GC and keep it, it seems you're using the program exactly as intended. What is the risk then ? No MS.

So if you want to invest 25-50 K into the market, this is a reasonable way to do it. Am I mistaken ?
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:07 pm Maybe I'm naive, but -- if you actually buy the stock/ETF with the GC and keep it, it seems you're using the program exactly as intended. What is the risk then ? No MS.

So if you want to invest 25-50 K into the market, this is a reasonable way to do it. Am I mistaken ?
That's what I'm doing. I've bought VOO and VXF and maxed out my BoA Travel Rewards card. I couldn't get to max out in the November 2020 promo due to having to clear out fraud alerts, which go against your daily $10,000 limit. Incidentally, I was considering transferring out of Stockpile into my "real" broker a few weeks ago but decided to hang on, and now this happened. There is a $75 transfer out fee which is not abnormal for brokers.
SlowMovingInvestor

calwatch wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:14 pm
SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:07 pm Maybe I'm naive, but -- if you actually buy the stock/ETF with the GC and keep it, it seems you're using the program exactly as intended. What is the risk then ? No MS.

That's what I'm doing. I've bought VOO and VXF and maxed out my BoA Travel Rewards card. I couldn't get to max out in the November 2020 promo due to having to clear out fraud alerts, which go against your daily $10,000 limit. Incidentally, I was considering transferring out of Stockpile into my "real" broker a few weeks ago but decided to hang on, and now this happened. There is a $75 transfer out fee which is not abnormal for brokers.
I assume they keep cost basis properly ? And will support ACATs for a transfer out ?
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I didn't hesitate to do the stockpile deal. It was a great deal for me both times it was offered.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:29 pm
calwatch wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:14 pm

I assume they keep cost basis properly ? And will support ACATs for a transfer out ?
A mini Stockpile review since I have used this broker.

They use Apex Clearing on the backend. Just in case you aren't familiar, Apex Clearing is a legit outfit and runs the backend for several brokers. You'll get the usual tax forms from Apex Clearing. And yes, Apex Clearing supports ACATS for a fee. Fees are transparent and documented on Stockpile's website. ACH transfers are free.

You aren't going to be able to reach someone on the phone. It's not that the hold times are long, it's that they do customer service via e-mail. I hope to never interact with customer service at any broker, so I don't care about that at all.

Orders execute once per day on the close.

Your gift card can be redeemed to make a buy order. You can select which security to buy when you redeem the gift card. I don't know exactly what securities they offer, but purchasing major ETFs has worked as expected.

It's fine, at least for me.
SlowMovingInvestor

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:03 pm
2) if one does an IRA transfer, do they deposit the bonus in the IRA or do they require a regular account for deposit ?
Re-upping these questions. Especially 2 -- how does TradeStation do IRA bonuses -- do they deposit into the IRA account ? If so, do they consider it a contribution ?

Thanks !
02nz

Post by 02nz »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:26 pm
Re-upping these questions. Especially 2 -- how does TradeStation do IRA bonuses -- do they deposit into the IRA account ? If so, do they consider it a contribution ?

Thanks !
Not familiar with TradeStation, but all the brokerages I've ever gotten bonuses from do NOT consider the bonuses as contributions. Tax treatment is according to type account, making bonuses into Roth IRAs especially lucrative.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

whodidntante wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:17 pm... This is the second time they have run this promo, and both times I have hit it HARD like a piledriver. The secret is a wallet full of well seasoned cards where nothing triggers a fraud alert. And at least one with a sign up bonus. I am the walrus.
I must be missing something. What's the point? Hitting MSRs on new accounts?
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

spammagnet wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:12 pm
whodidntante wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:17 pm... This is the second time they have run this promo, and both times I have hit it HARD like a piledriver. The secret is a wallet full of well seasoned cards where nothing triggers a fraud alert. And at least one with a sign up bonus. I am the walrus.
2% or more on a deposit in cash back or points plus free float of 30-55 days depending on when your card cycle is. Unfortunately it seems dead now, but 2% cash back is higher than what any of the other brokers are paying in bonuses for the $10k-50k range, which seems reasonable to do. If you have well seasoned cards and can clear fraud alerts quickly you might do six figures, although there is a $25k per card/email limit which includes failed transactions.
LFKB

Post by LFKB »

Currently getting $10k to make the move to e Trade. Offer is for moving over $4M+.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

LFKB wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:05 am Currently getting $10k to make the move to e Trade. Offer is for moving over $4M+.
That is a good offer.
SlowMovingInvestor

02nz wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:14 pm
SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:26 pm

Thanks !
Not familiar with TradeStation, but all the brokerages I've ever gotten bonuses from do NOT consider the bonuses as contributions. Tax treatment is according to type account, making bonuses into Roth IRAs especially lucrative.
I know it should be that way, but some brokerages (M1 comes to mind) don't even like making bonus deposits into IRAs and ask you to open a separate regular account for deposit.

I think TradeStation is relatively new to the bonus game, so I'm concerned they may not be handing bonuses into IRAs properly.
jonas

Post by jonas »

Chase offer is back! J.P. Morgan self-directed investing (ex Chase YouInvest) $300 for 100k+, $600 for 250k+
Valid until 10/10/2021, 90 day holding period. Offer on chase.com front page.
Nathan Drake

Post by Nathan Drake »

M1Finance offer of $2,500 for 1M.

Any downsides moving from vanguard/fidelity?

.25% … I worry about the lack of history of M1Finance. I just opened a new account with them to do automated monthly investments with fractional shares of ETFs
20% VOO | 20% VXUS | 20% AVUV | 20% AVDV | 20% AVES
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

In addition to the comments from calwatch, I was able to fully max out quarterly bonuses for three of my credit cards (earning 5.25% on $7,500) and to complete a targetted spending bonus on another card. If I could pay for all of my investments with a rewards credit card for no fee, I would be happy to do so. It's a minimum of 2% return right off the bat. I have a slight grumble that AmEx is not allowed in this year's deal but I'm still happy with what they are offering.
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

whodidntante wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:59 am
In addition to the comments from calwatch, I was able to fully max out quarterly bonuses for three of my credit cards (earning 5.25% on $7,500) and to complete a targetted spending bonus on another card. If I could pay for all of my investments with a rewards credit card for no fee, I would be happy to do so. It's a minimum of 2% return right off the bat. I have a slight grumble that AmEx is not allowed in this year's deal but I'm still happy with what they are offering.
Are you saying Stockpile codes as Online Shopping for BoA?
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

Nice, like an anti-front-load!
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

whodidntante wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:59 am... If I could pay for all of my investments with a rewards credit card for no fee, I would be happy to do so. It's a minimum of 2% return right off the bat. ...
Are you required to hold purchases for any period?
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Tingting1013 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:26 pm
Are you saying Stockpile codes as Online Shopping for BoA?
It did for me.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

spammagnet wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:35 pm
whodidntante wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:59 am... If I could pay for all of my investments with a rewards credit card for no fee, I would be happy to do so. It's a minimum of 2% return right off the bat. ...
Are you required to hold purchases for any period?
Normal T+2 settlement and ACH speed apply if your gambit works. People report getting locked out of their Vanguard account all the time on this site. I guess the same or another SNAFU could happen with any broker. Good luck to you.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:18 pm
Nice, like an anti-front-load!
Indeed. :beer