The Final, Definitive Thread on Brokerage Transfer Bonuses

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Leif

Re: The Final, Definitive Thread on Brokerage Transfer Bonuses

Post by Leif »

totoroto wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:49 pm Is there a link somewhere for this Schwab transfer bonus, or is it through talking to a rep.?
400bicycle wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:09 am
Barefootgirl wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:44 am In the process of a brokerage transfer to Schwab - looks like they are calculating the amount of my bonus based on the dollar amount of total equities that will transfer and not total value of equities PLUS cash (I'm having to cash out some of my money market funds)

Anyone else experience this?
FWIW I just transferred $1M cash to a new Schwab account for $2500 bonus.
I looked as well. All I found was $1,000 for $500K+ deposit when referred by a friend with a Schwab account.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

Leif wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:02 pm
totoroto wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:49 pm Is there a link somewhere for this Schwab transfer bonus, or is it through talking to a rep.?
400bicycle wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:09 am
Barefootgirl wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:44 am In the process of a brokerage transfer to Schwab - looks like they are calculating the amount of my bonus based on the dollar amount of total equities that will transfer and not total value of equities PLUS cash (I'm having to cash out some of my money market funds)

Anyone else experience this?
FWIW I just transferred $1M cash to a new Schwab account for $2500 bonus.
I looked as well. All I found was $1,000 for $500K+ deposit when referred by a friend with a Schwab account.
You just have to ask them to match an offer from another brokerage, such as e-trade.
galadrina

Post by galadrina »

Is it possible to get the IBKR lower margin rate promo (from stockbrokers.com referral) to stack with the $1000 referral bonus (if you deposit $100k?)
Leif

Post by Leif »

jeffyscott wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:23 pm You just have to ask them to match an offer from another brokerage, such as e-trade.
I see it. Thanks.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

I just saw a new promo from Fidelity, $100 for depositing $50. My spouse and I may each open up new brokerage or CMA accounts at Fidelity today. We already have 529 plans there and my company is moving my HSA to Fidelity early next year.

https://www.fidelity.com/go/special-offer
LIMITED TIME OFFER

Get $100 when you open an eligible account
Promo code FIDELITY100
  • Open a new account

Use promo code FIDELITY100 when opening The Fidelity Account®, Cash Management Account, Roth IRA, or traditional IRA.*
  • Fund it with $50

Deposit $50 or more within 15 days after opening your account.
  • Get your $100

Receive your cash reward! We'll add $100 within 25 days after opening your account.
https://www.fidelity.com/go/terms-conditions
$50 for $100 Cash Offer Terms and Conditions

This offer is valid for new or existing Fidelity Brokerage Services LLC ("Fidelity") customers who open and fund a new, eligible Fidelity account with a minimum of $50 on or after October 18, 2021 through Fidelity.com/go/special-offer. Offer is limited to one account per individual.
Eligible accounts include The Fidelity Account, Fidelity Cash Management Account, Fidelity Roth IRA, or a Fidelity traditional IRA. No other accounts are eligible for this offer.
https://www.fidelity.com/go/offer-faqs
stilllurking

Post by stilllurking »

Has anyone recently taken advantage of an Ally Invest bonus?

Thinking of moving $500k. Any catches besides the 300 day hold?
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

anon_investor wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:12 am I just saw a new promo from Fidelity, $100 for depositing $50. My spouse and I may each open up new brokerage or CMA accounts at Fidelity today. We already have 529 plans there and my company is moving my HSA to Fidelity early next year.

LIMITED TIME OFFER

Promo code FIDELITY100
  • Open a new account

Use promo code FIDELITY100 when opening The Fidelity Account®, Cash Management Account, Roth IRA, or traditional IRA.*
  • Fund it with $50

• Get your $100

Receive your cash reward! We'll add $100 within 25 days after opening your account.

This offer is valid for new or existing Fidelity Brokerage Services LLC ("Fidelity") customers who open and fund a new, eligible Fidelity account with a minimum of $50 on or after October 18, 2021 through Fidelity.com/go/special-offer. Offer is limited to one account per individual.
Eligible accounts include The Fidelity Account, Fidelity Cash Management Account, Fidelity Roth IRA, or a Fidelity traditional IRA. No other accounts are eligible for this offer.
I did this. Took 2 minutes including screenshots. Email confirmation (both account, then promo enrollment) took 5 more minutes.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

galadrina wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:57 pm Is it possible to get the IBKR lower margin rate promo (from stockbrokers.com referral) to stack with the $1000 referral bonus (if you deposit $100k?)
Don't be greedy. :)
mary1492

Post by mary1492 »

Last edited by mary1492 on Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

nalor511 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:21 pm
anon_investor wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:12 am I just saw a new promo from Fidelity, $100 for depositing $50. My spouse and I may each open up new brokerage or CMA accounts at Fidelity today. We already have 529 plans there and my company is moving my HSA to Fidelity early next year.

LIMITED TIME OFFER

Promo code FIDELITY100
  • Open a new account

• Fund it with $50

• Get your $100

I did this. Took 2 minutes including screenshots. Email confirmation (both account, then promo enrollment) took 5 more minutes.
Ironic, my spouse and I both signed up, I got the confirmation email and she did not. Via live chat Fidelity said she should get the promo but couldn't email why she didn't get the email, fingers crossed she gets it even without the confirmation email...
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

anon_investor wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:39 pm

LIMITED TIME OFFER

Promo code FIDELITY100
  • Open a new account

• Fund it with $50

• Get your $100

Ironic, my spouse and I both signed up, I got the confirmation email and she did not. Via live chat Fidelity said she should get the promo but couldn't email why she didn't get the email, fingers crossed she gets it even without the confirmation email...
Check your spam folder.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

stilllurking wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:04 pm Has anyone recently taken advantage of an Ally Invest bonus?

Make sure you're a completely new customer including not having been with tradeking.
mary1492

Post by mary1492 »

Last edited by mary1492 on Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

nalor511 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:04 am
Check your spam folder.
Nothing unfortunately...
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

mary1492 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:01 am
anon_investor wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:39 pm Ironic, my spouse and I both signed up, I got the confirmation email and she did not. Via live chat Fidelity said she should get the promo but couldn't email why she didn't get the email, fingers crossed she gets it even without the confirmation email...
Same thing happened to me. I tracked it down to that when I did mine, I was already logged in to my Fidelity account. Since there was no way to go back and check if it was correctly set up, I went and canceled the transfer in to the new account, logged out of my Fidelity account, then went to the offer page again, went through the new account creation again, and let it prompt me for my login on the page where it asks if you're an existing Fidelity customer. Then it set up correctly and I received the reward confirmation email on my account.
Interesting, that seems like a PITA, especially since the live chat rep said my spouse qualified and would get the bonus. So now you have an extra account that will do nothing?
mary1492

Post by mary1492 »

Last edited by mary1492 on Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

mary1492 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:02 am
anon_investor wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:56 am
mary1492 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:01 am
anon_investor wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:39 pm Ironic, my spouse and I both signed up, I got the confirmation email and she did not. Via live chat Fidelity said she should get the promo but couldn't email why she didn't get the email, fingers crossed she gets it even without the confirmation email...
Same thing happened to me. I tracked it down to that when I did mine, I was already logged in to my Fidelity account. Since there was no way to go back and check if it was correctly set up, I went and canceled the transfer in to the new account, logged out of my Fidelity account, then went to the offer page again, went through the new account creation again, and let it prompt me for my login on the page where it asks if you're an existing Fidelity customer. Then it set up correctly and I received the reward confirmation email on my account.
Interesting, that seems like a PITA, especially since the live chat rep said my spouse qualified and would get the bonus. So now you have an extra account that will do nothing?
Yes, it's an empty account - just went to my page settings and clicked the Hide account check box so it won't show. The empty account will get closed by their system and go away in a few months. I've done something in the past where I created a new account, and then realized the reason I was setting it up didn't apply for what I intended. Not an issue.
So you just opened another of the same type?
mary1492

Post by mary1492 »

anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

mary1492 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:08 am
anon_investor wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:03 am So you just opened another of the same type?
Did everything the same. No big deal. Instead of one minute, it took two.
That is annoying. Oh well, $100 is $100.
mary1492

Post by mary1492 »

anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

mary1492 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:23 am
anon_investor wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:20 am
mary1492 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:08 am
anon_investor wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:03 am So you just opened another of the same type?
Did everything the same. No big deal. Instead of one minute, it took two.
That is annoying. Oh well, $100 is $100.
And next month, you may need to spend time following up if the $100 does not get credited to your spouse's account. That will be annoying.
Convincing my spouse to do financial stuff may be more annoying... :annoyed
stilllurking

Post by stilllurking »

placeholder wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:20 am
stilllurking wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:04 pm Has anyone recently taken advantage of an Ally Invest bonus?

Make sure you're a completely new customer including not having been with tradeking.
Thanks placeholder. I was a tradeking account holder years ago. I guess Ally is off my list from now on.
student

Post by student »

LIMITED TIME OFFER

Promo code FIDELITY100
  • Open a new account

• Fund it with $50

• Get your $100

Did you open an account of the type that you already have or a new type? I already have Fidelity, Cash Management and Roth.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

student wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:14 am

LIMITED TIME OFFER

Promo code FIDELITY100
  • Open a new account

• Fund it with $50

• Get your $100

Did you open an account of the type that you already have or a new type? I already have Fidelity, Cash Management and Roth.
My spouse and I only had 529 plans with Fidelity (separate ones). I opened a brokerage account and got the confirmation email. My spouse also opened a brokerage account but did not get the confirmation email. Debating whether to have my spouse try again and open another account.
student

Post by student »

anon_investor wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:20 am My spouse and I only had 529 plans with Fidelity (separate ones). I opened a brokerage account and got the confirmation email. My spouse also opened a brokerage account but did not get the confirmation email. Debating whether to have my spouse try again and open another account.
Thanks for replying.
mary1492

Post by mary1492 »

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

LIMITED TIME OFFER

Promo code FIDELITY100
  • Open a new account

• Fund it with $50

• Get your $100

Did you get 2 separate emails? I got an immediate email confirming account, but no confirmation of promo enrollment.

Also the offer said to enter the promo code when prompted, but I was never prompted?
mary1492

Post by mary1492 »

Last edited by mary1492 on Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
student

Post by student »

mary1492 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:47 am
student wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:14 am Did you open an account of the type that you already have or a new type? I already have Fidelity, Cash Management and Roth.
You can open as many Fidelity accounts as you like. I opened another for the offer and have email confirmation for the reward qualification.
Thanks for the note. I noticed that it says "The same funding account cannot be used to concurrently fund two different Fidelity® Cash Management Accounts using Cash Manager." I guess I will think about it.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

mary1492 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:08 am
jeffyscott wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:52 am Did you get 2 separate emails? I got an immediate email confirming account, but no confirmation of promo enrollment.

Also the offer said to enter the promo code when prompted, but I was never prompted?
Yes, 2 emails - you get one with the subject "Registration confirmed: $100 cash reward"

There is no place to enter the promo code - I was similarly scratching my head. But, it directs you to go through the offer page and when you do that, when you get to the page that displays the new account registration info (name, address, etc.) one of the lines says Promo Code: FIDELITY100 - so it is automatically applied.
Thanks, I did not notice that. Had spouse do one and this time saved that page, of course she then immediately got the promo confirmation email. I'm gonna do a repeat and see if I get the email this time.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

jeffyscott wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:38 am
jeffyscott wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:52 am Did you get 2 separate emails? I got an immediate email confirming account, but no confirmation of promo enrollment.

Yes, 2 emails - you get one with the subject "Registration confirmed: $100 cash reward"

There is no place to enter the promo code - I was similarly scratching my head. But, it directs you to go through the offer page and when you do that, when you get to the page that displays the new account registration info (name, address, etc.) one of the lines says Promo Code: FIDELITY100 - so it is automatically applied.
Thanks, I did not notice that. Had spouse do one and this time saved that page, of course she then immediately got the promo confirmation email. I'm gonna do a repeat and see if I get the email this time.
My spouse talked to Fidelity CS via live chat this morning and they said that she should have received the confirmation email and she was qualified and registered. But could not explain why she did not get the email. They added a note to her account and said if she does not get the $100 in 25 days to contact them again... we are going to trust Fidelity here...
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

anon_investor wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:52 am

My spouse talked to Fidelity CS via live chat this morning and they said that she should have received the confirmation email and she was qualified and registered. But could not explain why she did not get the email. They added a note to her account and said if she does not get the $100 in 25 days to contact them again... we are going to trust Fidelity here...
Well, since I went 0 for 2 on getting confirmation email, I am going to wait and see if they confirm that for me (sent a secure message). I did save the page with the promo code the second time.
GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover »

LIMITED TIME OFFER

Promo code FIDELITY100
  • Open a new account

• Fund it with $50

• Get your $100

Does the $50 funding amount need to come from outside Fidelity, or will transferring $50 from another Fidelity account qualify?
mary1492

Post by mary1492 »

Last edited by mary1492 on Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

jeffyscott wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:04 am

Well, since I went 0 for 2 on getting confirmation email, I am going to wait and see if they confirm that for me (sent a secure message). I did save the page with the promo code the second time.
We were 1 for 2, so we are going to accept the live chat rep's assurances for my spouse's account. Supposedly Fidelity is good about honoring bonuses, so we shall see. They confirmed with a supervisor that they could not resend the email, but they put a note on her account, I hope that is good enough.
student

Post by student »

anon_investor wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:36 am

We were 1 for 2, so we are going to accept the live chat rep's assurances for my spouse's account. Supposedly Fidelity is good about honoring bonuses, so we shall see. They confirmed with a supervisor that they could not resend the email, but they put a note on her account, I hope that is good enough.
Did you screen cap the confirmation given in the live chat?
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

I'm sure it'll be fine. I could not get chat to open, so went with a message.

I also spoke too soon, I finally got a promo confirmation email about 1 hour (or else 2 hours) after opening the new account.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

student wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:53 am

Did you screen cap the confirmation given in the live chat?
We did... hopefully it doesn't come to having to prove it.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

jeffyscott wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:12 am

I also spoke too soon, I finally got a promo confirmation email about 1 hour (or else 2 hours) after opening the new account.
So you basically opened 2 accounts? One didn't get an email, but one did?

Yeah, 2 days later no confirmation email for my spouse. :annoyed Hopefully, the $100 shows up within 25 days...
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

anon_investor wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:31 am

Yes, that's what happened for me or else I just needed to wait longer on the first attempt.

Spouse had gotten email immediately. And I know when Fidelity had a previous offer of, I think, $200 for opening an account they shut it down after just a few days, so I did not want to waste the effort. If I'd seen and saved the page with the promo code pre-filled the first time, I wouldn't have repeated the process.

When they respond to my message, I will make sure that it doesn't matter which account I fund and let them know they can close the other one.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

jeffyscott wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:44 am
anon_investor wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:31 am

Yes, that's what happened for me or else I just needed to wait longer on the first attempt.

Spouse had gotten email immediately. And I know when Fidelity had a previous offer of, I think, $200 for opening an account they shut it down after just a few days, so I did not want to waste the effort. If I'd seen and saved the page with the promo code pre-filled the first time, I wouldn't have repeated the process.

When they respond to my message, I will make sure that it doesn't matter which account I fund and let them know they can close the other one.
They responded to my spouse's secure message sent on 10/20/2021, which said in part:
If you did not receive the email, you are not properly enrolled in the promotion. In order to have this updated, you will need to contact a representative over the phone to see about getting enrolled. You can contact a Fidelity Investment Solutions representative by calling...
Still not satisfied, I had my spouse replied to the secure message mentioning the conversation via live chat this morning and asking for confirmation of the supposed note added to their system and to confirm if that would be sufficient to get the promotion... this is annoying!

UPDATE: looks like the Fidelity Reddit is telling people to contact CS if they encounter the same issue...
https://www.reddit.com/r/fidelityinvest ... &context=3
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Covering your behind if you don't receive the confirmation of promo enrollment makes sense. But check your spam folder, one of ours was there. It was also delayed. The person who couldn't open a second CMA because of bank funding, just open a brokerage account instead, they are better anyway, and also completely free, now I have two :happy
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

nalor511 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:55 pm Covering your behind if you don't receive the confirmation of promo enrollment makes sense. But check your spam folder, one of ours was there. It was also delayed. The person who couldn't open a second CMA because of bank funding, just open a brokerage account instead, they are better anyway, and also completely free, now I have two :happy
My spouse did another live chat, and the CS rep confirmed she could see the other CS reps note, and confirmed she is all set to get the promo and added another note. We feel good enough to not open another unnecessary account. Multiple people have posted on the Fidelity Reddit about having the same issue, so it must be a technical glitch. Hopefully in 25 days the $100 shows up. At least live chat is easy enough, unlike some other brokerages that do not offer that...
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

stilllurking wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:38 am
placeholder wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:20 am

Thanks placeholder. I was a tradeking account holder years ago. I guess Ally is off my list from now on.
I was a Zecco account holder, and briefly had an account on Tradeking and still got an Ally bonus.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

calwatch wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:03 am I was a Zecco account holder, and briefly had an account on Tradeking and still got an Ally bonus.
Perhaps on old account closed before the merger wouldn't count so maybe give it a try although in my case it didn't come up until it was time to pay the bonus then they refused.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I aware y'all of this fantastic bonus offer from Tastyworks.
https://info.tastyworks.com/opennow

$500 for 10k transfer. It won't be getting better than that, kids. The T&C reads to me that it needs to be a cash deposit. Curious if ACATS will work.

Tastyworks markets to people who like to trade derivatives, exploit portfolio margin, etc., but that's just marketing. You can park your VTI there just fine.

Happy hunting!
student

Post by student »

whodidntante wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:37 pm I aware y'all of this fantastic bonus offer from Tastyworks.

$500 for 10k transfer. It won't be getting better than that, kids. The T&C reads to me that it needs to be a cash deposit. Curious if ACATS will work.

Tastyworks markets to people who like to trade derivatives, exploit portfolio margin, etc., but that's just marketing. You can park your VTI there just fine.

Happy hunting!
The conditions says minimum 3 months. So one can just deposit $10k for 3 months (no trade) and get $500. Are there any pitfalls that I am not aware of?
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

student wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:12 pm
whodidntante wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:37 pm I aware y'all of this fantastic bonus offer from Tastyworks.

Happy hunting!
The conditions says minimum 3 months. So one can just deposit $10k for 3 months (no trade) and get $500. Are there any pitfalls that I am not aware of?
None that I can see. I took advantage of a previous promo there and everything went as expected.
student

Post by student »

whodidntante wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:17 pm

Happy hunting!
None that I can see. I took advantage of a previous promo there and everything went as expected.
Thanks for the quick response.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

Happy hunting!
I don’t believe there would be a problem in doing this. I opened a Tastyworks account earlier this year, deposited $2k, and got 100 shares of stock as a bonus. Thr shares I received were worth $170. I sold the shares a few days later and just left the $2k that I had deposited sitting in cash. A few months later, I withdrew the money and closed the account. My wife did the same bonus with Tastyworks and she made $160. I wish we’d held off for this higher bonus but oh well.

By the way, the Tastyworks site and trading platform are sort of funky. The bonus posted quickly though.