The Final, Definitive Thread on Brokerage Transfer Bonuses

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Delta1

Re: The Final, Definitive Thread on Brokerage Transfer Bonuses

Post by Delta1 »

placeholder wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:05 pm
Delta1 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:41 pm Signed up & did acats to Etrade today with 1500, for 500k, now I feel like I missed out...oops
Did you open the account from the offer page so that it was coded for the bonus?
No all phone... if I would have known about 2k, would have asked for it, but live n learn
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

student wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:19 pm I just noticed that tastyworks does not allow setting a beneficiary for a non-retirement account. I guess that's a no for long term business relationship.
They do allow beneficiary designations for individual accounts. There is a TOD Beneficiary form on their website. Three days after I submitted it to them I received an email which confirmed it was processed and in effect.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

Delta1 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:32 pm No all phone... if I would have known about 2k, would have asked for it, but live n learn
Then call again to request it and let them know you'll be moving if they won't.
student

Post by student »

Luckywon wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:54 pm
student wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:19 pm I just noticed that tastyworks does not allow setting a beneficiary for a non-retirement account. I guess that's a no for long term business relationship.
They do allow beneficiary designations for individual accounts. There is a TOD Beneficiary form on their website. Three days after I submitted it to them I received an email which confirmed it was processed and in effect.
ok. Thank you. I will look for it. I tried to do it online. Did you email of fax it to them?
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

student wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:09 am
ok. Thank you. I will look for it. I tried to do it online. Did you email of fax it to them?
I emailed it to them. Was pleased to get an acknowledgement same day. Fax is also an option.
student

Post by student »

Luckywon wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:10 am
student wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:09 am
I emailed it to them. Was pleased to get an acknowledgement same day. Fax is also an option.
Thanks.
Delta1

Post by Delta1 »

placeholder wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:22 am
Delta1 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:32 pm No all phone... if I would have known about 2k, would have asked for it, but live n learn
Already did my ACATS in, think it's all set in stone for this one
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

Delta1 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:59 pm
placeholder wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:22 am
Already did my ACATS in, think it's all set in stone for this one
I don't see why but it's definite that if you don't try nothing will change.
pre

Post by pre »

Looks like the Chase Private Client (CPC) $2k for $250k transfer is back until January 19, 2022

https://account.chase.com/consumer/banking/NE42373

Pretty good deal, requires 90 day holding, but bonus credits in 40.

Saw this initially at DoC
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

I wonder if Chase will let me do the above again? I did it in 2020 then closed the account. I would guess that they won't let me do it twice??
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

pre wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:13 pm Saw this initially at DoC
Some comments at the DoC article indicate it doesn't work for everyone. The link just takes you to a generic Chase checking offer instead.

Will be interested if the offer is open to all, or just targeted.
BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet »

sycamore wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:49 am
Some comments at the DoC article indicate it doesn't work for everyone. The link just takes you to a generic Chase checking offer instead.

Looks targeted per the site below but it never hurts to drop by a branch, mention a friend got the offer and ask if it is available.

https://www.bankcheckingsavings.com/cha ... 2000_Bonus
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.
pre

Post by pre »

I'm in California and it also didn't work initially, but I used a free VPN (Chrome extension called SetupVPN) and selected another US location, then the site loaded without issue. I entered my email and got the offer/promo code.
pre

Post by pre »

Leesbro63 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:13 am I wonder if Chase will let me do the above again? I did it in 2020 then closed the account. I would guess that they won't let me do it twice??
Absolutely, as long as it's been 12 months since initial enrollment/opening of your CPC checking account.

I did the offer back in 2019, 2020, and just opened another account in branch today
tj

Post by tj »

pre wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:52 pm
Leesbro63 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:13 am I wonder if Chase will let me do the above again? I did it in 2020 then closed the account. I would guess that they won't let me do it twice??
Absolutely, as long as it's been 12 months since initial enrollment/opening of your CPC checking account.

I did the offer back in 2019, 2020, and just opened another account in branch today
Kudos to you. If they didn't want to keep giving people $$$, they'd alter the rules.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Having to meet with a banker kills it for me.

excludes Chase business checking and savings accounts, any J.P. Morgan Self-Directed Investing & Automated Investing accounts, J.P. Morgan Wealth Management retirement accounts and CDs)
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

What if I’m already a chase private client? Can I open up another account or am I not eligible?
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
pre

Post by pre »

EnjoyIt wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:00 pm

What if I’m already a chase private client? Can I open up another account or am I not eligible?
I'd search around Bogleheads -- there have been quite a few folks who are CPC and/or have done this offer in previous years. Or give your private client banker a ring to see if you're eligible -- all the bankers I've worked with were familiar with this offer.

But in just glancing at the offer terms, it suggests existing CPC would qualify with new assets.

"Bonus Account Information: To receive the $2,000 bonus: 1) Meet with a Private Client Banker to open or upgrade to Chase Private Client CheckingSM account; if you already have a CPC checking account, skip to step number two. 2) Within 45 days of coupon enrollment, transfer a total of $250,000 or more in qualifying new money or securities to a combination of only eligible accounts"
SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

The JPM CPC offer is actually better than the one they had last year, it was $2K for 500K then, as I recall.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

pre wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:20 pm
EnjoyIt wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:00 pm

I'd search around Bogleheads -- there have been quite a few folks who are CPC and/or have done this offer in previous years. Or give your private client banker a ring to see if you're eligible -- all the bankers I've worked with were familiar with this offer.

But in just glancing at the offer terms, it suggests existing CPC would qualify with new assets.

"Bonus Account Information: To receive the $2,000 bonus: 1) Meet with a Private Client Banker to open or upgrade to Chase Private Client CheckingSM account; if you already have a CPC checking account, skip to step number two. 2) Within 45 days of coupon enrollment, transfer a total of $250,000 or more in qualifying new money or securities to a combination of only eligible accounts"
That is how I understood the terms. Glad you actually caught others on this forum mentioning they have been able to qualify while already being CPC. Thanks.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

EnjoyIt wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:12 am
jeffyscott wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:02 am
nalor511 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:46 pm
EnjoyIt wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:59 pm
jeffyscott wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:33 am

In the terms and conditions it says:
For individuals who open a Roth or traditional IRA account, in order to be eligible to contribute to the IRA (traditional or Roth) you will need to have earned income at least equal to any IRA contribution made for 2021. Individuals who max out their contribution for the calendar year are also not eligible for the bonus award.

Has anyone been told if the $100 bonus will be shown as an IRA contribution, rather than earnings?

I am wondering if that statement is there because the $100 will be a contribution and so, if you have maxed out, you would not get it because it would cause you to exceed the contribution limit. A more convoluted interpretation could be that if you have already contributed the max, you won't be able to open a $50 account and so will not be eligible.
That’s a great question that I would also like to know the answer to.
I think it's referring to the $50, but you won't likely be able to get a good answer, bonus posting is automatic and the reps likely to not know the inner workings.
It looks like someone got the answer on Reddit, it appears to be an official response from a Fidelity rep:
The promotional reward is deposited into the newly opened account. In IRAs, the deposit will not count as a contribution.
https://www.reddit.com/r/fidelityinvest ... omo_taxed/

The response does repeat the confusing: Individuals who max out their contributions for the calendar year are also not eligible for the bonus award. So it appears that what they really mean is something like: "Individuals who have already maxed out their contributions for the calendar year would not be eligible to make a $50 contribution to the new IRA account and thus would be unable to qualify for the bonus award." (They might also want to avoid the possibility that someone over-contributes and then withdraws the $50 as an excess contribution as soon as the bonus posts.)
Thanks for clarifying and posting.
Now that the $100 has posted, I was looking to confirm that it is not a contribution. The transaction description is pretty cryptic, so I was looking for somewhere on Fidelity where it would show IRA contributions to date, but I could not find anything like that. Does anyone know if they show that somewhere?

If not, I suppose the monthly statement may confirm (or deny) that the $100 described as "COMMISSION CREDIT PROMO OFFER - CACR (Cash)" is not a contribution.
The Big Apple

Post by The Big Apple »

jeffyscott wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:00 am Now that the $100 has posted, I was looking to confirm that it is not a contribution. The transaction description is pretty cryptic, so I was looking for somewhere on Fidelity where it would show IRA contributions to date, but I could not find anything like that. Does anyone know if they show that somewhere?
There are two places that I know of:
  • Click on the account on the left after logging in and then on the summary tab. There is usually a 'card' that says 'Contribute to your Fidelity IRAs' that list the contribution limit and your YTD contributions
  • Click on 'transfer' in the header, select your bank account, then the IRA and under the transfer details, they list the contribution limit, amount to date, and the remaining contribution
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

The Big Apple wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:41 am
jeffyscott wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:00 am Now that the $100 has posted, I was looking to confirm that it is not a contribution. The transaction description is pretty cryptic, so I was looking for somewhere on Fidelity where it would show IRA contributions to date, but I could not find anything like that. Does anyone know if they show that somewhere?
There are two places that I know of:
  • Click on the account on the left after logging in and then on the summary tab. There is usually a 'card' that says 'Contribute to your Fidelity IRAs' that list the contribution limit and your YTD contributions
  • Click on 'transfer' in the header, select your bank account, then the IRA and under the transfer details, they list the contribution limit, amount to date, and the remaining contribution
Thanks, the second one worked and shows $50 as contributions to date.
taxi22

Post by taxi22 »

I just opened a new Fidelity account using https://www.fidelity.com/go/special-offer. I didn't see anywhere a place to put the Promo code 'FIDELITY100', but I did go through the link on the website. I'm an existing customer, but I did not receive an email confirming that a new account has been opened or enrollment for the bonus offer. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Should I be concerned?

I have initiated a $50 deposit, but has not be completed yet.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Check your spam folder, mine took a couple hours and went to spam. Did you see the promo code filled in on the application page after you clicked that link and then logged in?
The Big Apple

Post by The Big Apple »

taxi22 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:19 pm I just opened a new Fidelity account using https://www.fidelity.com/go/special-offer. I didn't see anywhere a place to put the Promo code 'FIDELITY100', but I did go through the link on the website.
You can always chat with a Fidelity rep and they will let you know. Also, if you went through the website, the promo code was automatically applied. On the summary page where it showed what you were opening, there is a line that said "Promotion Code: FIDELITY100" but is it very easy to miss.
taxi22

Post by taxi22 »

nalor511 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:20 pm Check your spam folder, mine took a couple hours and went to spam. Did you see the promo code filled in on the application page after you clicked that link and then logged in?
The Big Apple wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:23 pm You can always chat with a Fidelity rep and they will let you know. Also, if you went through the website, the promo code was automatically applied. On the summary page where it showed what you were opening, there is a line that said "Promotion Code: FIDELITY100" but is it very easy to miss.
Thank you!
erictiger12

Post by erictiger12 »

I opened the CMA earlier this month using the link without entering the promotion code. The $100 bonus was deposited to my account last week.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

taxi22 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:39 pm
nalor511 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:20 pm Check your spam folder, mine took a couple hours and went to spam. Did you see the promo code filled in on the application page after you clicked that link and then logged in?
The Big Apple wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:23 pm You can always chat with a Fidelity rep and they will let you know. Also, if you went through the website, the promo code was automatically applied. On the summary page where it showed what you were opening, there is a line that said "Promotion Code: FIDELITY100" but is it very easy to miss.
Thank you!
This happened to my spouse. If you do not get the email, you will have to contact Fidelity and they will have to manually add the $100, but no sooner than 25 days after account opening. I got the email and the $100 was automatically deposited.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

I am an existing Fido customer with an IRA, CMA, and a joint brokerage account with spouse. Can spouse and I each open a new, second individual brokerage account and each get the $100 bonus offer?

If the answer is “yes you can”: in the future (after the 90-day period), can I consolidate the two individual brokerage accounts into the joint account with no trading or tax impacts?
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Kookaburra wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:24 am I am an existing Fido customer with an IRA, CMA, and a joint brokerage account with spouse. Can spouse and I each open a new, second individual brokerage account and each get the $100 bonus offer?

If the answer is “yes you can”: in the future (after the 90-day period), can I consolidate the two individual brokerage accounts into the joint account with no trading or tax impacts?
Yes. Yes (but there is a form and it takes some time)
irrad

Post by irrad »

nalor511 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:00 pm Having to meet with a banker kills it for me.

excludes Chase business checking and savings accounts, any J.P. Morgan Self-Directed Investing & Automated Investing accounts, J.P. Morgan Wealth Management retirement accounts and CDs)
Just emailed my CPC banker to convert my account for me. Didn't have to do this in person. Even had him do this for my wife as well.
irrad

Post by irrad »

pre wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:50 pm

I'm in California and it also didn't work initially, but I used a free VPN (Chrome extension called SetupVPN) and selected another US location, then the site loaded without issue. I entered my email and got the offer/promo code.
Thanks for the tip! :sharebeer

Was able to do this x 2. My CPC banker said that I was on the only one he saw with these coupon codes and was curious where I got them!
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

irrad wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:49 pm
nalor511 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:00 pm Having to meet with a banker kills it for me.

Just emailed my CPC banker to convert my account for me. Didn't have to do this in person. Even had him do this for my wife as well.
That's good for you, but it says must meet with... Yuck
Last edited by nalor511 on Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irrad

Post by irrad »

Got this in the mail from CitiGold Private Client and got Schwab to match two accounts!

$4,000 bonus for $1M
$2,000 bonus for $500k-$999,999
$1,000 bonus for $250k-$499,999

Offer expires Nov 30

hmw

Post by hmw »

irrad wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:12 pm Got this in the mail from CitiGold Private Client and got Schwab to match two accounts!

$4,000 bonus for $1M
$2,000 bonus for $500k-$999,999
$1,000 bonus for $250k-$499,999

Offer expires Nov 30

Is this a targeted offer from Citi?

thanks
irrad

Post by irrad »

Yes, targeted offer
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

Helping my aunt. Who has the best bonus for 1 million?
student

Post by student »

iamblessed wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:47 pm Helping my aunt. Who has the best bonus for 1 million?
Probably at least $2,500. https://us.etrade.com/what-we-offer/how ... lsrc=aw.ds You may want to call around.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

student wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:26 pm
iamblessed wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:47 pm Helping my aunt. Who has the best bonus for 1 million?
Probably at least $2,500. https://us.etrade.com/what-we-offer/how ... lsrc=aw.ds You may want to call around.
Or just check doctorofcredit yourself, it changes all the time.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

Or $3500, if it's an IRA:
https://us.etrade.com/what-we-offer/how ... ra-cfc3500
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

jeffyscott wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:57 pm
This looks like a great bonus for IRA accounts. Is this a public offer or do you need to be invited?
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:26 pm
This looks like a great bonus for IRA accounts. Is this a public offer or do you need to be invited?
It's a public link, AFAIK. I opened an account via the link, which I'd found via a search, then messaged them to confirm that the account would qualify for, in my case $1000, before initiating the transfer. I expect to get the bonus once the 60 days ends.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I just did an Etrade transfer of 1 account. I got half the bonus 7 days after funding. There are a lot of rules depending on the amount of the transfer, how many accounts, etc. I transferred one account in the $500k-$999k range. It seems like I should have gotten the whole bonus now, but maybe I missed something and the 60 day rule comes into play.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

jeffyscott wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:22 am
Ron Ronnerson wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:26 pm
It's a public link, AFAIK. I opened an account via the link, which I'd found via a search, then messaged them to confirm that the account would qualify for, in my case $1000, before initiating the transfer. I expect to get the bonus once the 60 days ends.
Thank you!
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

Does Fidelity offer any transfer bonuses to existing clients? I have an existing brokerage with them, but am considering an transferring a large sum from Vanguard to them.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Kookaburra wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:58 pm Does Fidelity offer any transfer bonuses to existing clients? I have an existing brokerage with them, but am considering an transferring a large sum from Vanguard to them.
You have to send a secure email and ask. Last I recall $1500/2500 for $1mil, but different people are able to push for different things. Schwab will match the best competitor offer you find.
CAorTX

Post by CAorTX »

As an FYI I was offered $2,500 for moving in $1M, $3,500 for $3M for Merrill Edge - 9 month holding requirement. This wasn't a published tier the highest published was at $250k. I haven't seen any published offers for higher than $3,500... otherwise i'd push them to match.
student

Post by student »

CAorTX wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:29 pm As an FYI I was offered $2,500 for moving in $1M, $3,500 for $3M for Merrill Edge - 9 month holding requirement. This wasn't a published tier the highest published was at $250k. I haven't seen any published offers for higher than $3,500... otherwise i'd push them to match.
If you want transfer $3M, is it worth it to you to do $1M each at different brokerage firms? It seems that others will match.
yougotitdude

Post by yougotitdude »

anyone had any luck having etrade reimburse closeout fees?