International stocks in free fall

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
nedsaid

Re: International stocks in free fall

Post by nedsaid »

Gosh people, just relax. Putin's tanks have not rolled into Lithuania. The United Kingdom was never 100% integrated with the European Union as it has kept the pound. The UK is an important country, trade with other countries will not just cease. From what I am reading, the Brexit will be a drawn out process that will take several years. Probably not much will happen in the next two years.

Somehow, I don't see an EU army crossing the channel to invade Great Britain and I don't see an EU Navy blockading the islands. There will certainly be effects from this, political and economic, but it isn't the end of the world. The UK has relationships through the Commonwealth and could certainly negotiate free trade deals with Anglosphere nations. Trade between UK and Europe is not just going to stop. The United States is not an EU nation and yet we trade a lot with them. Shoot, I was just over in Europe last month. I had to show a passport and change my currency. Big deal.
A fool and his money are good for business.
MrKnight

Post by MrKnight »

jjface wrote:
simmias wrote:
jjface wrote:Funny to read so many Americans think it is a bad idea to split off from a larger power... 4th July round the corner and all.
Britain had no representation in the EU?
I'm not saying it is an identical situation. They certainly have less representation than full control and less representation than they wanted. No tea involved either though cross border immigration has been an issue.
Americans didn't actually want representation, that was just a slogan. Any representation would have just have been voted against.
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

Great day to buy. Net down over the last couple days is actually not much.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

MrKnight wrote:
jjface wrote:
simmias wrote:
jjface wrote:Funny to read so many Americans think it is a bad idea to split off from a larger power... 4th July round the corner and all.
I'm not saying it is an identical situation. They certainly have less representation than full control and less representation than they wanted. No tea involved either though cross border immigration has been an issue.
Americans didn't actually want representation, that was just a slogan. Any representation would have just have been voted against.
Technically we had 'virtual representation' in the sense that of course those in the House of Lords had the right to represent all subjects of the crown. Of course, this was theoretical and not at all accepted as real representation. This is a historical comment, btw, not a political one.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

My take on this FWIW is that BREXIT was a symptom and not a cause. It's a symptom of the flat earth with the 3rd world of labor coming on board and flattening income and quality of life of the whole world's population, thus decreasing living standards for the Western world.

Europe is feeling the brunt of this because of their proximity to non-European societies and the lingering effects of the end of the Cold War 25 years ago.

So what is actionable in this? The US, being *relatively* more isolated, is also feeling this, but much less so than in Europe. Thus, I would not try to be a hero and try to buy a large amount of foreign equities. I would not go as far as Mr. Bogle says (basically zero international), but I would keep it under 10% of my total investment portfolio, or less than 20% of my equity portion.

I personally have kept about 12% of my equities in foreign equity indexes long term.
Theoretical

Post by Theoretical »

avalpert wrote:
Rainier wrote:
munemaker wrote:Ignore the noise.
Are you suggesting that buying at inflated prices is better?

Do you insist on paying full price for goods or do you prefer sales?
The stock price on the open market is always full price. It wasn't inflated yesterday and it is not on sale today - it is just the nature of investing in risky assets based on an unknown future.
That's not exactly true but for different reasons. ETFs in particular frequently trade at discounts or premiums to the net asset values. This is especially the case for illiquid bonds and stocks. For example, municipal funds could sometimes be bought for 95 cents on the dollar Net asset value. In that case or the flip side, you can be rewarded or punished in a low liquidity or overinflated situation.
TonyDAntonio

Post by TonyDAntonio »

Someday, probably after I die, my 50% international (at least it used to be 50% of my stock portfolio) will outperform my US portfolio and I will, from above, tell Bogle to suck it. :D These days (and past years) I feel like Bogle has been laughing and giving me the finger. :shock:
William4u

Post by William4u »

My portfolio is down. I'll eventually rebalance. I'm sticking with my ISP and Staying the Course!
LAlearning

Post by LAlearning »

makes getting paid today that much sweeter.
I know nothing!
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Rysto wrote:I wonder how Britons who don't invest overseas are feeling today.
Perhaps a lesson on the value of including some international in our portfolios. Taylor said something similar in this post -

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=192978
Taylor Larimore wrote:
Johnny asked - Anyway, how important is it to have an international index fund? I hear a lot of talk here about the three-fund portfolio, so I suppose that's the gold standard, but do y'all think it's OK to just hold two funds?
Johnny:
In my opinion a two-fund portfolio of Total Stock Market Index Fund and Total Bond Market Index Fund in a suitable ratio is a good portfolio that will outperform most investors.

However, I was an investor in 1989 when the Japanese stock market was larger than the USA stock Market. Today, 27 years later, the Japanese stock market is only about half what it was. Many Japanese domestic-stock-only investors who did not invest internationally are now destitute.

Investors should consider probabilities AND consequences. This is the primary reason I favor The Three-Fund Portfolio which includes Vanguard Total International Index Fund. It provides insurance against an unforeseeable fall in USA stocks.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Theoretical

Post by Theoretical »

MrKnight wrote:
jjface wrote:
simmias wrote:
That's not accurate. There were huge blocs of loyalists and lots of folks in the middle. Actual representation in Parliament or local Dominion status was actually proposed by Burke. Symbolism was hugely important to the British-American perspective.
Crow Hunter

Post by Crow Hunter »

Bacchus01 wrote:Great day to buy. Net down over the last couple days is actually not much.
This ^.

Heck, VXUS is barely lower right now ($43.12) than it was when they it paid June's dividend, $43.29 if I am reading this chart right.

Just recently, it was $39.73 on Feb 11th.

Counter to "blood in the streets", I don't even think this counts as a mild contusion. :D
MindBogler

Post by MindBogler »

Rick Ferri wrote:United we stand and divided we fall.
How did any country survive or prosper before the EU? :confused

Time, not prognostication, will tell.
garlandwhizzer

Post by garlandwhizzer »

I am neither buying nor selling, staying put. I have a large INTL allocation which is getting killed today but I'll hold onto it. It will take several years for the dust to settle from this event. New trade deals between Britain and EU have to be negotiated and then there is a real possibility that other EU countries will exit just as Britain did, a domino effect. This event calls into question whether the free movement of people (immigration) and capital will endure with what remains of the EU. The EU's governing structure has been largely ineffective and gutless. Its member nations don't take responsible actions but rather keep doing business as usual in the welfare state (Greece, etc.,). EU members have failed to do structural labor reforms due to their popularity and this as much as anything is at the heart of the stagnant European economy. Monetary policy alone will not bail out Europe's lack of economic growth. The time has come for EU governance to take a hard look in the mirror and to make hard political decisions that up to now they have avoided. Many people everywhere, more so in Europe than in the US, have not benefited from "the recovery" and feel they have lost control of their borders, their laws, their lives and livelihoods. Brexit was the first brick in the wall to fall but it will probably not be the last. It's going to be an interesting and challenging time in worldwide markets. Bonds, cash, and gold look pretty good today but having a widely diversified portfolio is in my view the best protection for future uncertainty. Today US equities are holding up better than INTL and somewhere Jack Bogle may even be smiling. Just yesterday a Brexit vote of stay was widely anticipated and priced into the market all over the world. You can never tell in advance where the problem is going to come from and the general consensus is often dead wrong. Once again most experts were on the wrong side yesterday. Today it's Europe, next time it may be Asia or the US. I am fastening my seatbelt but not giving up on my the general principles of my asset allocation.

Garland Whizzer
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

Although this is indisputably a big down day for international stocks, especially Europe, if we step back a bit, basically it's just giving up gains in recent months.

I did some tax-loss harvesting and rebalancing back to target in Europe and Pacific funds in February of this year. Before today I was up over 10% in those funds since then. As of now, I'm still almost 2% above target for Europe and almost 9% above target for Pacific. This is with Europe down more than 10% so far today and Pacific down about 4.3% as of now. So still no trigger for doing any rebalancing or tax-loss harvesting for these funds. And this is ignoring dividends, which I don't reinvest.

I have glanced at these funds a few times in recent weeks, thinking I should rebalance back to target, but didn't get around to it. If I had, I probably would be buying and tax-loss harvesting for at least Europe today.

Kevin
If I make a calculation error, #Cruncher probably will let me know.
oneleaf

Post by oneleaf »

Kevin M wrote:Although this is indisputably a big down day for international stocks, especially Europe, if we step back a bit, basically it's just giving up gains in recent months.

I did some tax-loss harvesting and rebalancing back to target in Europe and Pacific funds in February of this year. Before today I was up over 10% in those funds since then. As of now, I'm still almost 2% above target for Europe and almost 9% above target for Pacific. This is with Europe down more than 10% so far today and Pacific down about 4.3% as of now. So still no trigger for doing any rebalancing or tax-loss harvesting for these funds. And this is ignoring dividends, which I don't reinvest.

I have glanced at these funds a few times in recent weeks, thinking I should rebalance back to target, but didn't get around to it. If I had, I probably would be buying and tax-loss harvesting for at least Europe today.

Kevin
Same here, I was surprised to find my portfolio is still right around target. I have learned that big days like today are rarely worth getting off my butt for.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

William4u wrote:My portfolio is down. I'll eventually rebalance. I'm sticking with my ISP and Staying the Course!
I won't know if mine is down until tonight, as I'm 100% index mutual funds.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Blister

Post by Blister »

Was sitting on a bit of cash so decided it was a good day to buy. :D
Everthing works out in the end. If it doesn't then its not the end.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

smartinwate wrote:
William4u wrote:My portfolio is down. I'll eventually rebalance. I'm sticking with my ISP and Staying the Course!
If you're in Vanguard mutual funds, chances are you can predict with high accuracy what your mutual fund portfolio will be at the close by using the ETFs as proxies.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
Topic Author
saltycaper

Post by saltycaper »

in_reality wrote:Sold 10K of a currency that jumped on the news, and will put it into international stocks when the wire comes through. Nothing much really ...
Is trading foreign currency part of your long-term strategy? Or do you hedge because you are somehow uniquely exposed? Obviously, not a lot of FX traders or talkers here.
Quod vitae sectabor iter?
Topic Author
saltycaper

Post by saltycaper »

AlohaJoe wrote:I sold all my European and Pacific ETFs yesterday and have it still sitting in cash.

It was actually unrelated to Brexit but right now I'm looking like a genius. I should start a newsletter......
You need to work on your marketing angle first. :D
TheRightKost87

Post by TheRightKost87 »

smartinwate wrote:
Assuming you have even a moderate amount of equities, I'll spoil the surprise.... you will be.
Last edited by TheRightKost87 on Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The problem with diversification is that it works, whether or not we want it to"
Topic Author
saltycaper

Post by saltycaper »

Sometimes I enjoy the noise. There's a recent thread about someone dealing with a pesky cricket problem. Some people are lulled to sleep by the chirping of crickets. Others need to drown them out.
Topic Author
saltycaper

Post by saltycaper »

Toons wrote: Life is Short.
Make Sure You Laugh A Lot
Good advice, Toons.
Crow Hunter

Post by Crow Hunter »

Kevin M wrote:Although this is indisputably a big down day for international stocks, especially Europe, if we step back a bit, basically it's just giving up gains in recent months.

Kevin
I have some cash accumulating (dividends, selling things, extra cash, etc) that I was planning on waiting until the first of the month to invest. I was fully expecting to see a huge drop today and I was going to swoop in and snatch up a bunch of deals today on "the dip" instead of waiting until the first of next month (and my next paycheck) to invest. :moneybag

Then I get to work and on my first break, my hands nearly trembling with excitement, I pull up the VXUS ticker.

7%...... That's all? Really?

That is what it was last week.... :annoyed

Well, so much for that. I'll just wait until after I get paid and save myself the extra accounting.
Topic Author
saltycaper

Post by saltycaper »

jjface wrote:vxus is down 6.7% pre market. Still a long way from the lows of the year. I didn't buy earlier this month at these prices and don't plan to today.
I thought it would open lower. Am a little disappointed. :annoyed
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

FTSE closed above where it was a week ago, and close to where it started the year...

https://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=%5E ... ing":true}

Not a great day on international/domestic markets, but freefall it was not...
Topic Author
saltycaper

Post by saltycaper »

Bustoff wrote:You think the big banks levered up prior to the Brexit vote. You know they did. I cant stop giggling.
Banks are certainly getting hammered. Lower interest rate expectations probably don't help.
SimpleGift

Post by SimpleGift »

Long-term, buy-and-hold investors of European equity will do fine. The Brexit vote (and others to come possibly) can’t compare with a global depression and two land wars fought on their home soil — which companies of the European nations overcame, with a 4.2% real equity return since 1900. It gives one faith in the resiliency of global capitalism.
It’s also worth noting that 50% of the revenue exposure of European companies today is from outside of Europe (North America, Pacific region and emerging markets) — with 27% from emerging markets, and growing.
Short-term suffering for European stocks certainly, but long-term rewards for the buy-hold-rebalance investor.
Last edited by SimpleGift on Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Toons

Post by Toons »

saltycaper wrote:
Toons wrote: Life is Short.
Good advice, Toons.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Topic Author
saltycaper

Post by saltycaper »

nedsaid wrote:Gosh people, just relax. Putin's tanks have not rolled into Lithuania. The United Kingdom was never 100% integrated with the European Union as it has kept the pound. The UK is an important country, trade with other countries will not just cease. From what I am reading, the Brexit will be a drawn out process that will take several years. Probably not much will happen in the next two years.

Somehow, I don't see an EU army crossing the channel to invade Great Britain and I don't see an EU Navy blockading the islands. There will certainly be effects from this, political and economic, but it isn't the end of the world. The UK has relationships through the Commonwealth and could certainly negotiate free trade deals with Anglosphere nations. Trade between UK and Europe is not just going to stop. The United States is not an EU nation and yet we trade a lot with them. Shoot, I was just over in Europe last month. I had to show a passport and change my currency. Big deal.
I believe it is the uncertainty over the future of the EU that is prompting concern and not just the UK situation alone. It is entirely possible that 5-10 years from now, this event will be shrugged off as a historical anecdote. It is also possible that it is the beginning of a new chapter in European economic history. For sure, no one really knows. That's what makes it interesting to watch. I will be relaxed while doing so.
grettman

Post by grettman »

Toons wrote:What?
Me Worry"
Life is Short.
Today :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Agreed! ...And unless you and your family watch the financial markets together as a hobby and find it fun to discuss this at the dinner table, don't even say "Brexit" this weekend. Hug your kid, kiss a significant other, drink a beer (or whatever), and have fun!
Toons

Post by Toons »

grettman wrote:
Me Worry"
Life is Short.
Agreed! ...And unless you and your family watch the financial markets together as a hobby and find it fun to discuss this at the dinner table, don't even say "Brexit" this weekend. Hug your kid, kiss a significant other, drink a beer (or whatever), and have fun!
Bingo!
:happy :happy :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
wizzard

Post by wizzard »

grettman wrote:
Me Worry"
Life is Short.
Love it!! If your AA is solid, there is nothing to worry about! :D
"In uncertain times, show equanimity. Otherwise you are an unfit shareholder" -Charlie Munger
Toons

Post by Toons »

wizzard wrote:
grettman wrote:
Me Worry"
Life is Short.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Topic Author
saltycaper

Post by saltycaper »

rgs92 wrote:So what is actionable in this? The US, being *relatively* more isolated, is also feeling this, but much less so than in Europe. Thus, I would not try to be a hero and try to buy a large amount of foreign equities. I would not go as far as Mr. Bogle says (basically zero international), but I would keep it under 10% of my total investment portfolio, or less than 20% of my equity portion.
Sounds like more of a case to avoid developed int'l, not int'l in general, though one certainly could have other reasons to avoid the emerging components.
Visitor

Post by Visitor »

stemikger wrote:I might rebalance, but other than that, not much.

I'm glad I listened to Jack all these years ago. I never invested in international and this won't change things.
I don't understand your sentiment here. Aren't U.S. stocks getting hammered too?
Topic Author
saltycaper

Post by saltycaper »

Da5id wrote:Not a great day on international/domestic markets, but freefall it was not...
Perhaps an exaggeration, but since we have a U.S. stocks in free fall thread, an int'l version seemed natural, and today seemed like a good day to start one.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Visitor wrote:

I'm glad I listened to Jack all these years ago. I never invested in international and this won't change things.
I don't understand your sentiment here. Aren't U.S. stocks getting hammered too?
Yes.
It appears,although I haven't looked,that.....
Mr Market is offering an opportunity to those interested :)
vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

Where was this thread 2 weeks ago? :confused
fvaldes

Post by fvaldes »

well, i have been sitting on cash for a month and waiting for more discounts...no rush
RCL

Post by RCL »

Uncertainty, as always, is not accepted in financial markets. We Bogleheads know this and should not over-react
reisner

Post by reisner »

Looks like a lot of people (non-Bogleheads?) are doing something today, because the Vanguard website seems to have just crashed. Or at least I can't access it. I think the Brexit vote is no big deal, at least for long-term American investors, but I hate to waste a crisis so I bought $5000 of the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index. Not that this event constitutes a crisis. Not that my purchase makes a big difference in my future. But sometimes you just want to profitably fidget a bit. I would have bought more--I'm a couple of points below my 55% stock target allocation--but who knows? Monday might bring a further drop, or a rebound.
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

triceratop wrote:
smartinwate wrote:
If you're in Vanguard mutual funds, chances are you can predict with high accuracy what your mutual fund portfolio will be at the close by using the ETFs as proxies.
Exactly. The closer to market close (about an hour from now), the better the estimate. As of now:

-3.3% Total US (VTI)
-7.3% Total International (VXUS)

Probably not applicable to most, but if you happen to hold Vanguard Europe:

-11.0% Europe (VGK)

Pacific and Emerging markets not quite so bad:

-4.0% Pacific (VPL)
-5.4% Emerging (VWO)

Probably will have changed a bit by the time I hit submit.

Kevin
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

Crow Hunter wrote: Then I get to work and on my first break, my hands nearly trembling with excitement, I pull up the VXUS ticker.

7%...... That's all? Really?

That is what it was last week.... :annoyed
Close enough to justify your disappointment, but as of now about 2% lower than the close last Friday. We should also consider that there was a $0.54 dividend paid on June 14.

Kevin
qwertyjazz

Post by qwertyjazz »

triceratop wrote:
MrKnight wrote:
jjface wrote:
simmias wrote:
Technically we had 'virtual representation' in the sense that of course those in the House of Lords had the right to represent all subjects of the crown. Of course, this was theoretical and not at all accepted as real representation. This is a historical comment, btw, not a political one.
Just a historical point and nothing like that happens now :)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=192921

BTW thank you for reminding me of American History - I have not read much on it since childhood and it might be fun to do so again
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

Rainier wrote:
Are you suggesting that buying at inflated prices is better?

Do you insist on paying full price for goods or do you prefer sales?
Is day old bread really on sale?

If market jump back up buying today is a great idea.

If today is the start of a 50% drop then today, while better than yesterday, is a lousy day to buy.

How well does your crystal ball work?
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

wizzard wrote:
grettman wrote:
Me Worry"
Life is Short.
And if you have been in the investing business a while. This does not even begin to move the excitement meter, up or down. I have many other things to keep me occupied.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Visitor wrote:

Yes, no doubt they will. I was just saying it that way because people may be seeing it as a buying opportunity and going into international. I just don't feel comfortable with international so I rather stay in the U.S. When the dust settles, I have a feeling international will not come back as soon as the U.S.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

I'm doing nothing. Oddly my portfolio is up from yesterday.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca