[Why did my fund suddenly drop in value?]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
stratton

Post by stratton »

Q: My fund is down a lot, what happened?

A: It's distribution time to meet tax requirements. See the fund companies web site.

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.
livesoft

Re: My Fund is Down?! IT'S DISTRIBUTION TIME!!!

Post by livesoft »

I'd like to see this as a poll:

I noticed my fund was down big time, so I
(a) Quickly posted to my favorite forums about my huge loss asking "What's up?"
(b) Looked at all the other posts about huge one-day drops on my favorite forums and figured it out
(c) Looked at my fund's web site and figured out there was a distribution
(d) Didn't bother to look because I already knew about distributions this time of year
(e) My fund is down? I didn't even notice.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
john94549

Post by john94549 »

Be honest, we all freaked out early on in our investing "lives" when we saw our funds (or ETFs) plunge on an "up" day.

Gosh golly, I remember calling Schwab, who referred me to Vanguard. After about the fourth transfer, somebody suggested it might be "ex-dividend" day, but they weren't sure, but they'd look it up.

After a few moments on hold, you guessed it.

I never could figure out why Schwab or Vanguard didn't just have an option such as "press one if the market was up and your security was down, then enter your security ticker symbol, followed by the pound sign, because you were prolly ex-dividend today."

I seem to have "ex-dividend" days all over the map the third month of each quarter. Then there is my funky taxable mutual fund which determines "ex-dividend" dates at year-end on the basis of the Mayan calendar or something. Don't even get me started on Schwab, which spits out its dividend on SWPPX annually based on the tides.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

For those who need additional background info, check the wiki: Dividend
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
kakapo

Post by kakapo »

I know I should know the answer to this, but I didn't see the answer in the wiki...

I have a MF listed with N shares and NAV and a 0.XYZ pending distribution per share. If I want to calculate the correct value as of today, is it: (N * NAV) + (N * 0.XYZ) ? I'm just trying to do my once a year saving a snapshot of financial state, and I'm anal enough to want to do it after the last mkt close of the calendar year.

Thanks!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The wiki's example might not be clear for pending transactions, but it's in there. Before dividends, it should be (N * NAV), as there's nothing to change yet.
Wiki wrote:For example:You own 500 shares at $11 per share at year-end, for a total worth of $5,500. There is a $1 per share dividend. Therefore, net of accumulated dividends in the fund, your fund is worth $10 per share. Assuming dividends are reinvested, you'll get $500 ($1 x 500 shares) reinvested in the fund. $500 / $10 per share = 50 additional shares. Now you own 550 shares at $10 each, which equals your original $5,500.
Post-dividend distribution, N = Number of Shares, NAV = Net Asset Value, Dist = Distributed dividends:

total value = (N * (NAV - Dist)) + (N * Dist)

Expanding above is:
= (N * NAV) - (N * Dist) + (N * Dist)
= (N * NAV)

Which is the same total value as before the distribution.

If you want to go further, Yahoo Finance tracks historical pricing by adjusting the close price for dividends and splits. You can see the actual impacts, such as GE Historical Prices (dividend declared Dec 22, 2011). How it's done: Historical Quotes. The intent is to get a reference to the current price, so the process runs in reverse from what's done here.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

livesoft wrote:I'd like to see this as a poll:

(b) Looked at all the other posts about huge one-day drops on my favorite forums and figured it out
(d) Didn't bother to look because I already knew about distributions this time of year
I'd answer "e" for several reasons. I admit sheepishly that I can't resist peeking at the Dow every week or so--and when a radio commentator says "the Dow was up 150 points today" and doesn't tell me what it got up TO, I can't resist finding out. But I don't look at my individual funds, and I almost never look at the price per share of my individual funds.

In any case, the typical drops in price per share due to distributions seem pretty negligible to me even if I thought they were authentic price movements. If I'm looking at the right day... VTI went from $64/share to $63/share. This is a big deal?

I didn't realize I needed to rebalance my International until someone mentioned something about it the forum. (I would have gotten around to it eventually).

I wouldn't be spooked by a distribution, because either
  • I look in my actual account (and see the total, including distributions--as well as the distributions themselves); or,
  • I look at, sorry to be a broken record on this, growth charts, which include the distributions.
Why on earth would anyone ever look at a price chart unless they were a) "traders," or b) constrained by the data the investment industry tends to make easily available (i.e. they are ETF investors and can't find a growth chart?)
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

I have to answer the missing "f: None of the above."

I noticed my fund was down but the corresponding ETF was up. Since they are actually two share classes of the same fund I wondered what was happening and asked on this board. I was real certain it had to do with the dividend but didn't understand why the effect was different on the two share classes. The unexpected (to me) answer was that the payout dates are different for the fund and the ETF. Didn't see that coming! (To quote my favorite Lost character, Hugo)

To complicate matters, Morningstar listed the cap gains part of the dividend but took a couple of days to catch up to the income portion. So, between the fund, the ETF and Morningstar I had several disagreeing reports. My particular situation was the lowest, so I had to ask.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

So who will resurrect this thread next December? :)
ejvyas

Post by ejvyas »

livesoft wrote:I'd like to see this as a poll:

d, e

I don't look at my funds every day. That is one of the reasons I call them lazy.
gotherelate

Post by gotherelate »

livesoft wrote:So who will resurrect this thread next December? :)
I'll bet we don't need to wait that long.
-Grandpa | I'd rather see where I'm going than see where I've been.
Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut »

This post should be a seasonal sticky.
zottopix

Post by zottopix »

[Thread title was: "Sudden Wellington drop?" See below. -- admin LadyGeek]

Just noted that my Wellington Fund ( VWENX ) dropped 4.25% in 2 days ( 12-24-2013 to 12-26-2013 )…..from NAV 68.21 down to 65.31
Any good reason for this sudden drop?
Just wondering…..
Cut-Throat

Market Soars - Vanguard Target Funds Plummet.............

Post by Cut-Throat »

[Title was "Market Soars - Vanguard Target Funds Plummet.............", merged into here. See below. --admin LadyGeek]

OK, I'm guessing there is the year end distributions going on here. Except I cannot find any news of this on the Vanguard Website.

I am watching my Portfolio because of Year End calculations, taxes etc..... and expecting a nice gain today, but was dismayed that the Funds I own Dropped 2%-3%. :annoyed

Target Retirement Income loses almost 2% today alone! :shock:
livesoft

Re: Market Soars - Vanguard Target Funds Plummet............

Post by livesoft »

Did you see the news about Vanguard accounts being hacked into by some servers based in Russia via a proxy in North Korea?

j/k

All the Vanguard distributions are listed in the Distributions tab for the specific fund including any remaining upcoming year-end distributions. It is not news, so no separate new link is needed: Simply go to your fund on the Vanguard web site and click on the Distributions tab.
Last edited by livesoft on Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fkampere

Re: Sudden Wellington drop?

Post by fkampere »

Divendend?
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

This was distribution day. It was announced weeks ago.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor »

Never fret about a big drop at the end of the year like this. If everything else is up and your fund is down, there's been a reinvestment of dividends. Take a lot at Vanguard's website, find your fund, and click on Distributions. You'll find that today was your reinvestment date. It'll show up in your History tomorrow if you log on.
zottopix

Post by zottopix »

Distributions….?
countdown

Post by countdown »

Yes, Wellington Admiral was down 4.25%. A bit of a surprise until realized what day it was.
countdown

Post by countdown »

Yes.....
CyberBob

Post by CyberBob »

December 24 record date for VWENX (per share):
  • $0.470 dividend
  • $0.395 ST cap gain
  • $2.261 LT cap gain
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/ ... =INT#tab=4

Bob
LAlearning

Post by LAlearning »

Ha...love these posts.
I know nothing!
LAlearning

Post by LAlearning »

Ha....love these posts.
I know nothing!
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Maybe someone can link this one to that other one. [Someone has, see my comments below. --admin LadyGeek]
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 1&t=129142
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Maybe someone can link this one to that other one. [Someone has, see my comments below. --admin LadyGeek]
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 0&t=129143
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Note the similarity. One is number 42 and the other is number 43. Back to back; cool!
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Note the similarity. One is number 42 and the other is number 43. Back to back; cool!
CyberBob

Post by CyberBob »

Cut-Throat wrote:OK, I'm guessing there is the year end distributions going on here. Except I cannot find any news of this on the Vanguard Website.
Click the Distributions tab on the page for your fund. For example, for Target Retirement 2030: https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/ ... =INT#tab=4

Bob
Levett

Post by Levett »

I just bought a car, but what's the ignition switch? :wink:

Sorry.

Lev
sscritic

Re: [Why did my fund suddenly drop in value?]

Post by sscritic »

Be nice (this ^^ was originally in the thread started by the poster with 28 posts, not in the thread started by the poster with 1634)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Here's why: FYI - It's that time of year again. For new investors, this means it's fund distribution time. The value of your fund will drop by the amount of the dividend.

At sscritic's suggestion, I merged the threads. He said to link them, but I think it's better to combine them into one. I retitled the thread to attract the attention of others with the same question.

The wiki has some background info: Dividend (under "Dividend distributions")
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Stop looking a price charts and start looking at growth charts. Or, if you actually own the fund, just look in your account online.

Some money moved from inside the fund to outside the fund. So the value of the fund shares dropped. If you are reinvesting dividends, the drop in price per share was made up by the fact that you now own more shares.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Here's the example in the wiki:
For example:You own 500 shares at $11 per share at year-end, for a total worth of $5,500. There is a $1 per share dividend. Therefore, net of accumulated dividends in the fund, your fund is worth $10 per share. Assuming dividends are reinvested, you'll get $500 ($1 x 500 shares) reinvested in the fund. $500 / $10 per share = 50 additional shares. Now you own 550 shares at $10 each, which equals your original $5,500.
Cut-Throat

Post by Cut-Throat »

nisiprius wrote:Stop looking a price charts and start looking at growth charts. Or, if you actually own the fund, just look in your account online.

Some money moved from inside the fund to outside the fund. So the value of the fund shares dropped. If you are reinvesting dividends, the drop in price per share was made up by the fact that you now own more shares.
Yes, I actually looked at my Account on-line.....And Vanguard, has not as of now gave me additional shares....And Actually has my account down over $50 Grand.

I know what distributions are and that is why I looked at my account..... There is no additional shares as of now.

BTW - Merging these threads really made readability simple......NOT !!
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Cut-Throat wrote:I know what distributions are and that is why I looked at my account..... There is no additional shares as of now.
Vanguard has never updated accounts in real-time, so one should have no expectation that anything they show in your account is up-to-date. I think that happens because it keeps their costs low.

Give them a few days to get your account updated or perhaps even longer, say January 15th or so.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Cut-Throat:

You purchased shares today at the close with your dividends and cap gains. They will show up tomorrow morning. The same thing happens when you send them money by ACH (electronic fund transfer) or do an exchange from one fund to another.

Have you really never noticed that before?

It's better to have bought your new shares at today's lower price than at yesterday's higher price. :)
Geologist

Post by Geologist »

Cut-Throat wrote:
Yes, I actually looked at my Account on-line.....And Vanguard, has not as of now gave me additional shares....And Actually has my account down over $50 Grand.

I know what distributions are and that is why I looked at my account..... There is no additional shares as of now.
When the reinvestment occurs and when it is posted online are two different things. I'll bet the additional shares will be there tomorrow morning. You should really feel good; I have another financial provider who posts transactions no sooner than 5 days after they occur.

I'm a geologist...so I recommend taking the long view. Most people pay too much attention. If you had frittered away the first couple of days after Christmas playing with presents or the kids and then looked, you would still have noticed the decrease in share price but the reinvestment would have posted already.
Cut-Throat

Post by Cut-Throat »

Geologist wrote: I'm a geologist...so I recommend taking the long view. Most people pay too much attention. If you had frittered away the first couple of days after Christmas playing with presents or the kids and then looked, you would still have noticed the decrease in share price but the reinvestment would have posted already.
I am a Pagan and Celebrate the Solstice. We opened our presents on Dec. 21st and then were free to re-balance our portfolios yesterday and today. :mrgreen:
Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus »

Cut-Throat wrote:
Geologist wrote: I'm a geologist...so I recommend taking the long view. Most people pay too much attention. If you had frittered away the first couple of days after Christmas playing with presents or the kids and then looked, you would still have noticed the decrease in share price but the reinvestment would have posted already.
I am a Pagan and Celebrate the Solstice. We opened our presents on Dec. 21st and then were free to re-balance our portfolios yesterday and today. :mrgreen:
Christmas is also a winter solstice festival http://www.miltontimmons.com/SolsticeandChristmas.html

Pagans just have better astronomers
telcoguy

Why did VCVSX drop 8% today?

Post by telcoguy »

[Thread merged into here. --admin LadyGeek]

This has been a good hybrid fund over the years for me. Why would a stable fund like this drop 8% in one day when the market was up and there was no bad news? This level of volatility is not typical.
SP-diceman

Re: Why did VCVSX drop 8% today?

Post by SP-diceman »

...was a dividend paid?
cfs

Post by cfs »

Down 7.98% for distributions
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
telcoguy

Post by telcoguy »

Thanks I should have seen that.
However, I don't see the dividend transaction in my history. Maybe it will show up tomorrow.
cfs

Post by cfs »

This is what I found on the Vanguard website:

Record date: 24 December 2013
Reinvest date: 26 December 2013
Payable date: 27 December 2013

No problems, you are making a lot of money and hopefully this is not in a taxable account.

Thanks for reading and have a productive 2014.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
countdown

Post by countdown »

Thanks to those giving newer investors an explanation regarding the nature of dividends and distributions. We all began at the beginning.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

telcoguy wrote:Thanks I should have seen that.
However, I don't see the dividend transaction in my history. Maybe it will show up tomorrow.
It will. When you buy a fund with an ACH from your bank, the money hits and you buy the shares one day at the close for that day. The shares show up in your account the next morning. Now I am on the west coast and I know they show up by 6am Pacific time, so 9 am would be the latest you would see them if you live on the East Coast.

I am offering a new no-prize for the first one to report seeing their new shares. 6:00 Eastern, 7:00 Eastern? Let us know. There were two winners Wednesday who first spotted updated prices after the short trading day. This could be your turn!
telcoguy

Post by telcoguy »

Why is the SEC yield only 2.24% when the fund just paid a $1.18 on a $13 share?

Thanks for the education.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

You should do some things for yourself. Click on the letter B next to 2.24% (not here, there).
SEC yield as of 12/24/2013 2.24% B

Google SEC yield. Look at the distributions page. What is included in SEC yield? Come back and tell us what you have learned.
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

Let me be the first to ask. What's VCVSX?

Oh wait, by posting the symbol in my post I can put my cursor over it and read its name. (Doesn't work in titles.)
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 18-time loser