What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
plasticofantastico

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by plasticofantastico »

Rough numbers for 2021:

YTD including inflows -> 25%
YTD removing the inflows -> 22%

Portfolio is a messy 85/15 that I’m working to simplify.
Carousel

Re: What are you up YTD?

Post by Carousel »

berntson wrote: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:28 pm One of the best decisions I made was eliminating any easy way to track my portfolio's returns. I keep track of contributions and check my returns once at the end of the year using the XIRR function. This makes investing even more boring than it already was (a good thing!).
Last edited by Carousel on Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carousel

Post by Carousel »

investorpeter wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:59 pm About 18 stocks. I just accept the idiosyncratic risk in exchange for the potential of higher returns. I have the time and inclination right now to follow my holdings relatively closely (at least the largest positions), but the goal is to convert to SP500 equity index funds over time.
Curious. Where do you get the info to pick/follow stocks? What is your background/how did you learn to do this? Particular website/service?
bogcir

Post by bogcir »

novolog wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:07 pm
ruralavalon wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:26 am
taojaxx wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:03 am Does it make any freaking sense if I include fresh contributions? I can be up 100% if I'm 100% cash and double the money invested.
It is a classic example of how not to compute investment returns, but it made sense to the Beardstown Business and Professional Women's Investment Club.
certainly one needs to be clear on their definitions/terms.

but why would any private individual (no clients) care about anything other than the raw appreciation of their total net worth?

my net worth has increased 58% this year.

couldn't tell you what the appreciation on the cost basis is because it literally makes no difference to me. it's probably sitting around 25-30% just like everyone else that owns assets in this market and has two thumbs.
It matters just to see how you are doing against the benchmark. You assume you are doing 25-30% but what if you were actually doing 7%? Wouldn’t you want to know?
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

No one brags about being down, but I will!

+4.88% at the moment, but after inflation that means I'm -1%, and with taxes down even more.

I started the year with less in TIPS and stocks than I have now, and from Portfolio Visualizer, I see that if I had started the year with my current portfolio, I would have been approx +7.19%, inflation adjusted +0.94% (at least from beginning of year till November).

My portfolio is now vaguely 65% TIPS, 25% wacky mix of stocks, 10% cash.
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

Robot Monster wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:19 pm No one brags about being down, but I will!

+4.88% at the moment, but after inflation that means I'm -1%, and with taxes down even more.

I started the year with less in TIPS and stocks than I have now, and from Portfolio Visualizer, I see that if I had started the year with my current portfolio, I would have been approx +7.19%, inflation adjusted +0.94% (at least from beginning of year till November).

Wow, that's pretty conservative portfolio. I'm guessing you want sleep better at night? :beer
novolog

Post by novolog »

bogcir wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:16 pm
taojaxx wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:03 am Does it make any freaking sense if I include fresh contributions? I can be up 100% if I'm 100% cash and double the money invested.
It is a classic example of how not to compute investment returns, but it made sense to the Beardstown Business and Professional Women's Investment Club.

but why would any private individual (no clients) care about anything other than the raw appreciation of their total net worth?

couldn't tell you what the appreciation on the cost basis is because it literally makes no difference to me. it's probably sitting around 25-30% just like everyone else that owns assets in this market and has two thumbs.
It matters just to see how you are doing against the benchmark. You assume you are doing 25-30% but what if you were actually doing 7%? Wouldn’t you want to know?
no not really because i don't see what would be actionable from it.

what change would i ever make if the assets i'm holding are only up 7% YTD? seems like i would continue to buy the same assets in the same amounts anyways. like most bogleheads i take what the market gives me.

i am more concerned with my net worth (and therefore net worth growth). i have a number i would like it to be. every year i get closer. once i hit that number many things in my life will change.
S&P 500 + Bitcoin
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

jarjarM wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:27 pm
Robot Monster wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:19 pm No one brags about being down, but I will!

Wow, that's pretty conservative portfolio. I'm guessing you want sleep better at night? :beer
Yes. What I can psychologically handle in a downturn was the big consideration.
investorpeter

Post by investorpeter »

Carousel wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:01 pm
investorpeter wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:59 pm About 18 stocks. I just accept the idiosyncratic risk in exchange for the potential of higher returns. I have the time and inclination right now to follow my holdings relatively closely (at least the largest positions), but the goal is to convert to SP500 equity index funds over time.
Curious. Where do you get the info to pick/follow stocks? What is your background/how did you learn to do this? Particular website/service?
I mostly get ideas based from my life experiences, and then do my own research on the internet from sites like Morningstar, Fidelity, watching YouTube, reading 10-Ks and Qs, Bogleheads and other forums, etc. I read the financial news (Barron's, WSJ, Bloomberg) daily, but one strict rule I have is that I never make any investments based on what I read in the financial news, because so much of the financial news is being pushed by someone with an agenda.

My career background has nothing to do with finance, but I've always been interested in stocks, technology, and finance since the 1990s dot.com era. Books that were most influential for me were Peter Lynch's "One Up On Wall St" and anything Warren Buffett has written or said. I have never seriously considered any advertised stock picking service or training program. They just all seem so gimmicky. Over time, I have learned from my many mistakes, and have adopted a style that works best for my personality and temperament. What has worked best for me is to focus on long-term technological trends and then to buy and hold as long as possible. Also, a key turning point for me was learning how to track my own performance. So far, investing in individual stocks has worked out really well for me, to the point that I have been able to retire at least a decade before originally planned. But I also recognize this could all just be due to dumb luck. And I wouldn't recommend this path to most people. Eventually, my goal is to convert all my holdings to a plain vanilla 2-fund portfolio of VOO/BND.

Update: 54.09% YTD
Carol88888

Post by Carol88888 »

100% equity up 10.81% hurt by being out of the market for 4 months with part of assets (trying to harvest gains in advance of what I thought would be some tax law changes which never happened)

But my return is very close to my long term return over 10 years so I am okay with it.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

Portfolio is up 18% ytd.

An eye opener to me in calculating this, is our investments has gone up ytd more than 10X the amount we withdraw for cover our expenses, more than 2x our earnings before retirement 5 years ago.
taojaxx

Post by taojaxx »

novolog wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:07 pm but why would any private individual (no clients) care about anything other than the raw appreciation of their total net worth?
Because you're measuring two different things: your added "savings" on the one hand, your portfolio performance on the other.
I put "savings" between quotes because if I go to Vegas and come back with $$$ from the blackjack table and I add this to my portfolio, it adds up to my net worth but has nothing to do with my investment performance.
Beardstown Ladies accounting.
Better lucky than smart.
taojaxx

Post by taojaxx »

RetiredAL wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:21 pm Portfolio is up 18% ytd.

An eye opener to me in calculating this, is our investments has gone up ytd more than 10X the amount we withdraw for cover our expenses, more than 2x our earnings before retirement 5 years ago.
You may consider spending more lol. Beware "richest man in the graveyard" syndrome.
Better lucky than smart.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

taojaxx wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:05 pm
RetiredAL wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:21 pm Portfolio is up 18% ytd.

You may consider spending more lol. Beware "richest man in the graveyard" syndrome.
Yeah, that 'spend more' hit me up side the head as was doing the calc's.
bogcir

Post by bogcir »

novolog wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:30 pm
bogcir wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:16 pm

no not really because i don't see what would be actionable from it.

what change would i ever make if the assets i'm holding are only up 7% YTD? seems like i would continue to buy the same assets in the same amounts anyways. like most bogleheads i take what the market gives me.

i am more concerned with my net worth (and therefore net worth growth). i have a number i would like it to be. every year i get closer. once i hit that number many things in my life will change.
It is actionable. Let’s say you are 100% stock and the s&p did 25% this year and you did 7%. I would seriously re evaluate why that was. Even if it’s “I forgot to invest a bunch of cash”. It’s a sanity check, not just for purposeful decisions but also for things you might not have meant to do.
stocknoob4111

Post by stocknoob4111 »

Gains including inflows: $277,000
Gains excluding inflows: $175,000

Has been a great year! Let's hope for an equally great 2022 :D
ChinchillaWhiplash

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash »

Not quite sure. But 2 rollover IRAs with no new contributions for years are both up around 30% in value over 2 years. Both of these accounts are highly diversified with US, International, and bonds. This includes some SCV tilts and other non-Bogle type investments. Other account have continuous contributions so not really able to figure it out as a whole very easily.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Up 27 percent in my stock index funds.
Up $170,000 in net worth just this year, as of November. A record.
Grateful for all of it, health, family and this amazing forum.
Salary: up. Bonus: up. Health: up. Knowledge: up. mood: up!

🎁🍾 Enjoy the season everyone! :beer
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iceport

Post by iceport »

+ 11.85% YTD (with no contributions or withdrawals, and generally hovering around 63% equity)

The total bond market index fund is the one major performance drag on the fixed income side.

On the equity side, emerging markets and international real estate are the major drags for the year, though all of my international allocations have under-performed all US allocations.

If I had put every last penny in Vanguard's REIT index fund, I'd be up 33.88% right now. :shock: :D
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
OhBoyUhoh

Post by OhBoyUhoh »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:51 am Up 27 percent in my stock index funds.
Up $170,000 in net worth just this year, as of November. A record.
Grateful for all of it, health, family and this amazing forum.
Salary: up. Bonus: up. Health: up. mood: up!

🎁🍾 Enjoy the season everyone! :beer
Onwards and upwards!
I had money, I had none. I had money, I had none. But I never been so broke that I couldn't leave town. (Jim, Ray, Robby, John)
livingalmostlarge

Post by livingalmostlarge »

21%. Mostly in S and P index 75% and International MF 25%
xystici

Post by xystici »

2021 Portfolio Return (As of December 29, 2021)

47% US Stocks XIRR = 26.3%
34% Vanguard Total Stock, XIRR = 28.3%
3% Vanguard Mid Cap, XIRR = 22.4%
7% Vanguard Small Cap, XIRR = 14.7%
3% Vanguard REIT, XIRR = 39.0%

24% Vanguard Total Intl, XIRR = 8.4%

26% Bonds XIRR = -1.3%
23% Vanguard Total Bond, XIRR = -1.9%
3% Vanguard Inflation Protected, XIRR = 5.2%

3% Cash / Vanguard Cash Reserves, XIRR = 0%

2021 Total Portfolio XIRR = 12.7%

2010-2020 Total Portfolio XIRR = 8.5%
2010-2021 Total Portfolio XIRR = 9.0%
Trust yourself, Break the rules, Don't be afraid to fail, Don't listen to naysayers, Work your butt off. "It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped. Choose now and well"
SGM

Post by SGM »

Roths are up 17%. No additions or withdrawals.

taxable is up 12%, but this includes additions and withdrawals.

Retired over 7 years.
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

SGM wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:58 am Roths are up 17%. No additions or withdrawals.

taxable is up 12%, but this includes additions and withdrawals.

Retired over 7 years.
Nice numbers on the surface. Subtract the +6% inflation this year.
Marty....don't go to the year 2020....Dr. Emmett Brown
yog

Post by yog »

Retired, so cash flows only go out, and we also did a large Roth conversion in Jan

Balances are +46.6% for the year

80% individual stocks
20% LEAPs expiring Jan 2022
deepvalleys

Post by deepvalleys »

First year I started to track with a spreadsheet.

- Up 38% including inflow.
- Contribution this year: 16% of my 1.1.2021 portfolio
- The first year that appreciation is greater than my savings
- I'm amazed, but wish I started earlier to save in index funds.
wander

Post by wander »

YTD: 18% (US equity/International Equity/Bonds).
carminered2019

Post by carminered2019 »

Another excellent year
12/31/2021, no W-2 income
YTD: +12x yearly expenses. :beer
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

YTD (31 December 2021) returns of a few 60/40 funds for your viewing pleasure:

+10.08% VSMGX Vanguard LifeStrategy Moderate Growth fund, has US + International
+14.22% VBIAX Vanguard Balanced Index fund, has US only and no international
+13.52% DGSIX, DFA Global Allocation 60/40 I fund, a small-cap and value tilted 60/40 asset allocation

The performance of a 60/40 portfolio varies by quite a bit depending on how the 60/40 is constituted.

Also note:
+42.23% AVUV Avantis US Small Cap Value ETF
+13.37% MTUM iShares MSCI USA Momentum Factor ETF

+25.71% VTSAX Vanguard Total US Stock Market
+08.62% VTIAX Vanguard Total International Stock Market
-01.67% VBTLX Vanguard US Bond Index fund
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
chris319

Post by chris319 »

For 2021 I pretended to be a mutual-fund manager and threw together a make-believe portfolio of no fewer than 20 stocks to see if beating the market is as easy as Peter Lynch makes it out to be. I didn't research the companies very much other than to make sure they had a positive EPS at the time of inclusion. I didn't "swing for the fences" or try to pick "10-baggers" or "disruptive" companies. No obscure companies that no one has ever heard of. Just well-known, established companies. Results for calendar-year 2021:

Wilshire 5000 index: 22.8%
S&P 500 index: 26.6%
Make-believe portfolio: 32.7%

All of the stocks were chosen without regard to past returns. No cheating.

No Tesla. Low-tech companies like Union Pacific railroad.

Was the market-beating return for 2021 the result of luck or skill or both? That is a question for the ages which cannot be answered satisfactorily.

Code: Select all

1	NKE	16.7%	Nike Inc
2	QCOM	19.5%	QUALCOMM, Inc.
3	UNP	        21.1%	Union Pacific Corporation
4	GOOGL	64.6%	Alphabet Inc Class A
5	REGN	29.7%	Regeneron Pharmaceuticals Inc
7	ROST	-6.7%	Ross Stores, Inc.
8	AMZN	2.0%	Amazon.com, Inc.
9	AAPL 	33.0%	Apple Inc
10	BRK.B	29.0%	Berkshire Hathaway Inc. Class B
11	ORLY	        55.5%	O'Reilly Automotive Inc
12	LRCX	        50.4%	Lam Research Corporation
13	NVDA	124.4%	NVIDIA Corporation
14	CHTR	-2.2%	Charter Communications Inc
15	FB	        22.4%	Meta Platforms Inc
16	AXP	        34.9%	American Express Company
17	MSFT	51.1%	Microsoft Corporation
18	HSY	        26.4%	Hershey Co
19	GS	        71.9%	Goldman Sachs Group Inc
20	NFLX	        11.8%	Netflix Inc
21	SHOP	21.0%	Shopify Inc
22	ADP	        40.1%	Automatic Data Processing Inc
23	KLAC	64.1%	KLA Corp
24	PEP	        18.2%	PepsiCo, Inc.
26	V	        -1.6%	Visa Inc
27	MRNA	15.3%	Moderna Inc
28	AVGO	51.5%	Broadcom Inc
29	BLK	        25.3%	BlackRock, Inc.
30	FDX	        -0.7%	FedEx Corporation
31	PFE	        60.2%	Pfizer Inc.
For 2022 I'm adding:

Merck (MRK)
Kinder Morgan (KMI)
Auto Zone (AZO)

and eliminating BRK.B.

In my real-money portfolio I'm sticking with index funds.
Last edited by chris319 on Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Financial decisions based on emotion often turn out to be bad decisions.
hulburt1

Post by hulburt1 »

up $325000. plus took out $60000 to build up cash. I'm 68 need 36000 from Ira so I made 10 years of living in 1 year. Bout Apple when it split 4 ways... :sharebeer
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

0% so far in 2022.
canadianbacon

Post by canadianbacon »

Ended 2021 with an XIRR of 13.45%. Variety of index ETFs including bonds, and a slight dent (maybe ~1%) from Canada-US exchange rate.
Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:30 am 0% so far in 2022.
D'oh, someone beat me to it! I suspect that will be the answer for some days.
OhBoyUhoh

Post by OhBoyUhoh »

carminered2019 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:26 pm Another excellent year
12/31/2021, no W-2 income
YTD: +12x yearly expenses. :beer
That's impressive! Happy 2022 to you and yours!
I had money, I had none. I had money, I had none. But I never been so broke that I couldn't leave town. (Jim, Ray, Robby, John)
revhappy

Post by revhappy »

I just finished my calculations.
Below are my numbers for 2021 and estimates for 2022.
The estimates are mainly for me to plan the allocation ratio I wish to achieve.
My current allocation is 45% and my plan is to hit 60% by end of next year.
2021 I managed to make 11% returns on investment and overall networth grew 18%.
For 2022, I am being conservative and estimating 6% returns on investment and 11.5% overall networth growth.

I plan to do value averaging into equities and get from 576k to 860k.
So the final amount of 860k is fixed, I expect 6% growth in markets and I will allocate 138k, out of this 70k will be new savings and remaining will be reallocation from bonds to equities.
This is the base case, but if there is lower growth or if there is crash, I reallocate more from my bonds to eventually hit the 860k. If markets rip up by more than 6% I reallocate less from my bonds to equities to get to 860k

All figures in SGD '000

veggivet

Post by veggivet »

IRA: 28%
Roth IRA: 18%
Taxable: 21%
HSA: 35%
Coverdell: 34%

Wishing all success in 2022!
456M

Post by 456M »

For 2021:
Including inflows, I'm up 63.7% YTD in my brokerage account.
Total NW I'm up 27.6% YTD.
Geezer-Rich

Post by Geezer-Rich »

Retired for the last 9 years
As of Dec 31, 2021 Brokerage account YTD=16%
Portfolio:
Starbucks 33% of portfolio
S&P 500 39%
Harbor Capital Appreciation 29%
Brokerage account is only about 10% of our investment portfolio
The rest is kept in our TSP accounts, which are falling behind inflation because 90% is in the G Fund.We can afford to be ultra-conservative because we live off our two federal pensions and SocSec. We don't depend on investments to provide any of our living expenses.
bgf

Post by bgf »

16.6% time weighted return for 2021. 90/10 portfolio tracking Vanguard Target Date 2050, which returned 16.4%.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Age 76, retired, asset allocation is 50/50.

Total return of our portfolio is up 12.65% for 2021.

Best fund was Vanguard Small-cap Value (VSIAX) up 28.09% for 2021.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
investorpeter

Post by investorpeter »

Non-Beardstown Math using Morningstar Portfolio Total Returns:
2021: 52.46%
2020: 87.94%
2019: 49.07%
2018: 8.84%
2017: 33.72%
2016: 12.79%

5-year annualized returns: 44.16%

Current holdings: 77% individual stocks (mostly large cap tech), 12% SP500 index funds, 10% cash/bonds
kd2008

Post by kd2008 »

For 2021: XIRR was 31%, CAGR was 23.5%
Stock/Bond was 83/17
Seems it drifted a bit from 80/20.
All index fund investing in 3-fund portfolio
Ages 40/60
rchmx1

Post by rchmx1 »

Looks like the final number for 401k and IRA is 48.41%, not including contributions. Those accounts currently consist of about 53% in HFEA, about 30% PSLDX, with the remaining 17% split between a small cap, an international, and a total market MF. Brokerage feels a little harder to calculate since I took out a largish (relative to the small account size) margin loan to purchase a vehicle over the summer, so for laziness sake I'll leave that account out, but it has performed well as well. Very happy to be invested and to be on this forum. Looking forward to enjoying another year here. :beer
Gd_Enf_56

Post by Gd_Enf_56 »

For 2021 - up 18.8%

70/30 AA

ETA - AA is more like 70 Stock, 11% Bonds, 10% Stable Value, 9% Savings/Checking/I-Bonds
iceport

Post by iceport »

My annual dollar-weighted (XIRR) 2021 return was exactly 13.00%.

This beat my benchmark return of 11.77%.

Because the portfolio is managed passively using index funds, my benchmark is my target portfolio AA. The discrepancy arises because I hold most of my equities in a taxable account, and tax considerations have prevented me from rebalancing there and incurring a tax bill. So while my target AA is 56/44 equities/fixed income, in real life the whole year went by with equities somewhere between 63% and 64%, with US large cap significantly overweighted.

Closest comparable "un-tilted" benchmark from Vanguard is the Target Retirement 2030 Fund (VTHRX), with 64.74% equities, which returned 11.38% in 2021.

I think the biggest factor for beating that un-tilted benchmark was that a huge portion of my fixed income is in a stable value fund, which beat the total bond market fund by about 4% last year. This was a long overdue turn-around, because my fixed income allocation has been underperforming the total bond market fund for years, producing a classic "cash drag," compared to a Vanguard fund with a generic AA.

Assets held, sorted by annual 2021 return:

—1.67% - total bond market index fund ( <---- Not so very scary... folks make such a big deal of minor bond losses.)
0.86% - emerging markets index fund
2.45% - stable value (avg. return for the year)
5.68% - TIPS (intermediate term) fund
5.88% - international real estate index fund
11.43% - developed markets index fund
13.03% - international small cap index fund
17.73% - small cap index fund
25.71% - total stock market index fund
40.40% - REIT index fund

Happy New Year, everyone!
:sharebeer
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
iceport

Post by iceport »

livesoft wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:09 pm YTD (31 December 2021) returns of a few 60/40 funds for your viewing pleasure:

+10.08% VSMGX Vanguard LifeStrategy Moderate Growth fund, has US + International
+14.22% VBIAX Vanguard Balanced Index fund, has US only and no international
+13.52% DGSIX, DFA Global Allocation 60/40 I fund, a small-cap and value tilted 60/40 asset allocation

The performance of a 60/40 portfolio varies by quite a bit depending on how the 60/40 is constituted.

Also note:
+42.23% AVUV Avantis US Small Cap Value ETF
+13.37% MTUM iShares MSCI USA Momentum Factor ETF

+25.71% VTSAX Vanguard Total US Stock Market
+08.62% VTIAX Vanguard Total International Stock Market
-01.67% VBTLX Vanguard US Bond Index fund
:thumbsup

I really miss those old "What was your return in 20xx?" threads. I was hoping someone would just start one already...
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

iceport wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:52 amI really miss those old "What was your return in 20xx?" threads. I was hoping someone would just start one already...
In contrast, I don't miss them because they are so full of misinformation, exclusions, and incorrect calculations. Now I am sure you did your XIRR() calculations correctly. Also it appears you crushed your benchmark returns just like I did, but we both cheated because our portfolios did not actually invest the same way as our benchmarks. Not that there is anything wrong with that. :twisted:
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

+36% in 2021. Very pleased. :D
The Sensible Steward
iceport

Post by iceport »

livesoft wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:25 pm
iceport wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:52 amI really miss those old "What was your return in 20xx?" threads. I was hoping someone would just start one already...
In contrast, I don't miss them because they are so full of misinformation, exclusions, and incorrect calculations. Now I am sure you did your XIRR() calculations correctly. Also it appears you crushed your benchmark returns just like I did, but we both cheated because our portfolios did not actually invest the same way as our benchmarks. Not that there is anything wrong with that. :twisted:
Well, I'm not so sure about that... I'd much rather be tracking my benchmark faithfully. It's a slippery slope, otherwise. I just can't sell VTSAX in the taxable account without incurring a big tax bill. But I was secretly wringing my hands with muted delight this year, watching US equities defying the law of gravity, heh, heh. :)