Ric Edelman retiring in the fall

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
BeachPerson

Ric Edelman retiring in the fall

Post by BeachPerson »

Ric Edelman stepping down
According to a statement the company released Monday afternoon, Edelman will stay on as a strategic adviser, a board member and the firm’s largest individual shareholder. Currently, Edelman serves as the firm’s chairman of financial education and client experience.
I catch Ric Edelman every week.

What will that mean for his firm???
From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"
targetconfusion

Re: Ric Edelman retiring in the fall

Post by targetconfusion »

2021 is a down year for Edelmans - Julian also hung it up in April.

https://twitter.com/edelman11/status/13 ... 2570170373

For our own personal finance journey, at least, both events have about the same significance.
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

I liked his show a lot. A lot of good information on it.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

In 2009, Ric Edelman said that mutual funds were dinosaurs and that they would be gone in ten years (supplanted by ETFs). At year-end 2020, according to the Investment Company Institute, mutual funds collectively hold four times as much in assets as ETFs do.

In 2011, Ric Edelman said that Vanguard's low expense ratios on index funds were illusory and that Vanguard was (somehow) hiding fees of 1.4% per year. (He didn't explain, and nobody has ever figured out, why Vanguard index funds don't lag their indexes by 1.4%). Allan Roth called him on that and actually got him to issue some kind of non-retraction retraction. Two years later, in 2013, Edelman made the same claim again.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

He's 63. Seems like he's just practicing what he preached, and retiring on his own terms.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams
Bluce

Post by Bluce »

I think he is a jerk and won't miss him a bit. I used to listen to him regularly but got tired of his constant shouting and the hawking of his firm. He's just another in the long list of financial infomercials disguised as radio shows.

I've listened to his bizarre rationalizations probably three times as to why one should purposely hold debt, and it never made any sense to me.

Net worth = assets minus liabilities. My assets are my net worth, I have no debt. Sorry Ricky, I learned from my dad and have no regrets.
"There are no new ideas, only forgotten ones." -- Amity Shlaes
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

Won't really miss him, or his predictions. His "financial engines" are just running out of gas I guess.

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 75-80% VTSAX piled high and deep, 20-25% VTIAX, 0% given away to banks, minimize amount given to medical-industrial complex
denovo

Post by denovo »

Oh, a thread on Ric Edelman. This is gonna be good.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
yules

Post by yules »

BeachPerson wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:59 pm Ric Edelman stepping down
According to a statement the company released Monday afternoon, Edelman will stay on as a strategic adviser, a board member and the firm’s largest individual shareholder. Currently, Edelman serves as the firm’s chairman of financial education and client experience.

Hopefully this means that no one else will get trapped in his Rick E Trust.

Yules

Post by 123 »

The announcement includes the following: "As part of his stepping back from the company, Ric Edelman will also be giving up his weekly radio show, which he has hosted for 29 years. The final edition of The Ric Edelman Show will air during the fall, after which it will be renamed and feature a yet-to-be-identified host, the company stated."

It will be interesting to see who is selected to take over the weekly radio show. It seems to be their primary advertising vehicle so I would think they would have to bring a "name" in, they can't afford to be in the doldrums for a few years while a new talent blossoms.

I wonder who will take up the challenge, and potentially millions in compensation if successful. Will it be someone revered by Bogleheads who goes over to the "dark side"?
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
SteadyOne

Post by SteadyOne »

Health issue possible
“Every de­duc­tion is al­lowed as a mat­ter of leg­isla­tive grace.” US Federal Court
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

BeachPerson wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:59 pm Ric Edelman stepping down

Looks like he retired way faster than Index Funds as he predicted .
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

nisiprius wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:03 pm In 2009, Ric Edelman said that mutual funds were dinosaurs and that they would be gone in ten years (supplanted by ETFs). At year-end 2020, according to the Investment Company Institute, mutual funds collectively hold four times as much in assets as ETFs
That’s when I stopped taking him seriously.
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
DB2

Post by DB2 »

nisiprius wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:03 pm In 2009, Ric Edelman said that mutual funds were dinosaurs and that they would be gone in ten years (supplanted by ETFs). At year-end 2020, according to the Investment Company Institute, mutual funds collectively hold four times as much in assets as ETFs do.

In 2011, Ric Edelman said that Vanguard's low expense ratios on index funds were illusory and that Vanguard was (somehow) hiding fees of 1.4% per year. (He didn't explain, and nobody has ever figured out, why Vanguard index funds don't lag their indexes by 1.4%). Allan Roth called him on that and actually got him to issue some kind of non-retraction retraction. Two years later, in 2013, Edelman made the same claim again.
It's interesting how these some of the guys target Vanguard. I don't recall their names as it's been a while, but there were two guys who owned a financial mgt. firm whose show aired after Edelmen's timeslot in my area. They would regularly state how the "Vanguard S&P 500 index fund" lost almost 40% in 2008. However, they always gave the impression (to the ununiformed listener) and alluded this was a permanent loss and that investors were wiped out for good. "How horrible would it be to lose almost 40% of your retirement or investment? Can you imagine the horror? All of those years you saved your hard earned money and that happens!" would be the type of phrasing, etc. "Let us manage your money so it doesn't happen" or something to that effect would be said. Never once did they mention how well the index recovered in a relatively short period of time or how well it's done since 2009. Nope. The uniformed were left with the impression that the "Vanguard S&P500 index fund" lost nearly 40% in 2008 and that was the end of it! And that you better let them manage your money; you need to call now!
Last edited by DB2 on Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:48 pm, edited 18 times in total.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Who is Ric Edelman?

Post by 123 »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:24 pm Who is Ric Edelman?
https://www.edelmanfinancialengines.com ... man-radio/

His radio informercial program is broadcast around much of the country on Saturdays and Sundays, scheduling varies by local radio market.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
renter

Post by renter »

Won't miss him. Does that leave just the Lazer Fund guy to pick on (on national financial radio)?
sabhen

Post by sabhen »

i agreed with his point on holding to mortgage debt, especially at these extreme low levels. I stopped listening to radio talk years ago. Hate commercials and the push for their products/services/agenda....
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

sabhen wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:58 pm i agreed with his point on holding to mortgage debt, especially at these extreme low levels. I stopped listening to radio talk years ago. Hate commercials and the push for their products/services/agenda....
That is only one thing I was agree too. Everything else was pure speculation fear mongering and trash, especially when he was saying that future of Roth IRA is very uncertain. I am glad he is off air just for this.
Stubbie

Post by Stubbie »

123 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:09 pm The announcement includes the following: "As part of his stepping back from the company, Ric Edelman will also be giving up his weekly radio show, which he has hosted for 29 years. The final edition of The Ric Edelman Show will air during the fall, after which it will be renamed and feature a yet-to-be-identified host, the company stated."

It will be interesting to see who is selected to take over the weekly radio show. It seems to be their primary advertising vehicle so I would think they would have to bring a "name" in, they can't afford to be in the doldrums for a few years while a new talent blossoms.

I wonder who will take up the challenge, and potentially millions in compensation if successful. Will it be someone revered by Bogleheads who goes over to the "dark side"?
Maybe one of the "Ramsey Personalities" will step in to fill the void. Their investment "expert" Chris Hogan could start selling Edelman Financial Engines instead of Ramsey ELP Pros with their 5.25% upfront commissions.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Thank God we still have Dave Ramsey to guide our investments.
stinkycat

Post by stinkycat »

Bluce wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:20 pm I think he is a jerk and won't miss him a bit. I used to listen to him regularly but got tired of his constant shouting and the hawking of his firm. He's just another in the long list of financial infomercials disguised as radio shows.

I've listened to his bizarre rationalizations probably three times as to why one should purposely hold debt, and it never made any sense to me.

Net worth = assets minus liabilities. My assets are my net worth, I have no debt. Sorry Ricky, I learned from my dad and have no regrets.
One thing about the Bogleheads approach is that it is pretty much independent of financial personalities. Once I had the basic strategy down it was pretty much set it and forget it.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

sabhen wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:58 pm i agreed with his point on holding to mortgage debt, especially at these extreme low levels. I stopped listening to radio talk years ago. Hate commercials and the push for their products/services/agenda....
But the money I've made on sports investing is unreal.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

123 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:09 pm The announcement includes the following: "As part of his stepping back from the company, Ric Edelman will also be giving up his weekly radio show, which he has hosted for 29 years. The final edition of The Ric Edelman Show will air during the fall, after which it will be renamed and feature a yet-to-be-identified host, the company stated."

I think Dave Ramsay has a better approach. He is bringing in lots of alternative "personalities" and building them up as he fades into the background so there is a bench of talent he can draw from.

The difference is Ramsay is about legacy building, whereas I get the feeling Edelman is about making a buck and didn't I see that he's worth $100M+? So he'll probably be OK.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

I remember he promoted having as much mortgage debt as possible and he had a list of reasons why that was a good idea. I think that was bad advice.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

I haven’t listen to Ric Edelman in a long time. The only good thing about the show compared to Dave Ramsey is that the people who called generally were middle class to upper middle class and the questions relatable to me. Almost everyone who calls into Dave Ramsey is broke. All the Jesus stuff has also turns me off of Dave Ramsey.

At least we have Paul Merriman, although he’s doing a lot of interview shows lately. Something about him just rambling on and on reading off of spreadsheets was oddly hypnotic.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

Kenneth Fisher?
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

Bluce wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:20 pm I think he is a jerk and won't miss him a bit. I used to listen to him regularly but got tired of his constant shouting and the hawking of his firm. He's just another in the long list of financial infomercials disguised as radio shows.

I've listened to him over the years and while I never did any business with his firm he seemed better than most of the Dave Ramsey type guys. He does advocate never being without a mortgage as home equity can't be used to build an investment account with his firm.
sunnywindy

Post by sunnywindy »

Ric Edelman seems like a salesman to me (nor do I really know anything about him, either), but I think he is correct that mutual funds are dinosaurs. They only have one clear advantage over ETFs and that is that you can close them to new money (there are some other more esoteric reasons mutual funds can do things ETFs can't which revolves around liquidy - I think). For certain strategies and/or funds, that is important (think Dodge & Cox International -DODFX- it closes on occasion); for total market Boglehead funds, it doesn't matter but ETFs are always cheaper to manage.

His 10-year prediction is probably off by 10 years (In 2031, I say ETF's will have more assets and they will be in 401k etc...).