[Question About Fund Tickers]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
jackoak

[Question About Fund Tickers]

Post by jackoak »

How are a funds abbreviation symbol determined? How do people on this forum remember them all.
ie: 500 index fund is VFIAX or Money market is VMRXX.
Just curious!
THANKS
bloom2708

Re: Dum Question

Post by bloom2708 »

We don't, except for very common tickers.

One common reply is to "edit your post (pencil icon) and add the fund names and expense ratios, please!".
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

The fund or ETF provider can choose the name. It must be unique, they can’t choose a name of any other stock or fund (i.e. you can’t name your ETF XOM - Exxon Mobil Corp.)
Last edited by David Jay on Thu May 06, 2021 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Apocryphal story: a University of Maryland ornithologist prided himself on remembering every student’s name even in large classes. One year he realized that for every student he remembered, he’d forget the name of a bird. He apologized to his class and told them, “from now on, boys are John and girls are Mary.”

Life’s too short to memorize tickers.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
euphonious

Post by euphonious »

I sometimes wonder how people remember the names of actors and celebrities. I probably know one ticker symbol the average person doesn't for every actor / celebrity the average person knows that I don't. Which is not a lot, granted, but enough to keep up with most of this forum.
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

David Jay wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:31 pm The fund or ETF provider can choose the name. It must be unique, they can’t choose a name of any other stock or fund (i.e. you can’t name your ETF XOM - Exxon Mobil Corp.)
To extend a bit, it has to be unique to a exchange. The exchanges are the ones who actually pick the symbol and set the rules. NYSE kept the ticker "M" open for years, trying to lure Microsoft to switch over from NASDAQ.

A stock may have one ticker on one exchange and a different one on another. Note - I am talking about the same stock. i.e., the same CUSIP. Can be freely traded and settled on either exchange. Not a ADR or anything like that.

Exchanges are pretty good about keeping tickers unique within the same jurisdiction but not always. I once owned a mutual fund which shared the same ticker as a equity call option.
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.
dbr

Post by dbr »

There is a degree of acronym involved, imperfectly.

Vanguard funds begin with V, Fidelity with F, I guess.

It should not be a surprise that VIPSX is inflation protected securities, or that L is likely long bonds and S short bonds, and VBIAX is the balanced index.

Etc.

I'm not sure why they all end in X. I know rail car owner indices end in X when the owner is not a railroad and not if they are, except CSX maybe.
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

dbr wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:17 pm I'm not sure why they all end in X. I know rail car owner indices end in X when the owner is not a railroad and not if they are, except CSX maybe.
The convention for publicly traded mutual funds is a 5 letter ticker. I don't know why, but it has been this way for a long long time.
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.