How do you count HFEA as part of your AA?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
OhpBuddy

How do you count HFEA as part of your AA?

Post by OhpBuddy »

I have money in Vanguard Roth IRA that I will not be able to implement HFEA in (since they don't allow leveraged funds). It's in a domestic/international (63/37%) allocation, with a SCV tilt. I know Hedgefundie said that an international/SCV tilt WITHIN HFEA is difficult because of increased volatility, which is fine, but my question is about inclusion of HFEA as part of your overall AA.

I have HFEA in equal parts in another non-Vanguard Roth and my taxable (55 UPRO/45 TMF) - but I know most people aren't 100% in HFEA, and only gamble with a portion of their portfolio.

How do you count HFEA when considering domestic/international/bond allocation? Do people accordingly overweight international in their non-HFEA portfolio to account for this domestic bias (holdings of HFEA)? Or do you have the same domestic/international allocation even w/ HFEA?

Similarly with bonds - underweight bond allocation because of bonds in HFEA? Or same AA here?
bgf

Re: Do you count HFEA as part of your AA?

Post by bgf »

Yes, two ways. First, I have 50-25-25 of IXUS, UPRO, TMF. So my international exposure is not through a leverage fund but works out to Vanguards 60-40 US - International split.

1) as part of my 90/10 allocation, in which case its 100% equities.

2) as what the exposure truly is 125/75, or ~74/36 at 2x leverage.

My overall portfolio is either 90/10 using the first method, or 75/25 at ~1.2x leverage using the second.

I wonder how many here believe 75/25 at 1.2x leverage is riskier than 100% equities or even 90/10.
Last edited by bgf on Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"
Topic Author
OhpBuddy

Post by OhpBuddy »

bgf wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:42 pm Yes, two ways. First, I have 50-25-25 of IXUS, UPRO, TMF. So my international exposure is not through a leverage fund but works out to Vanguards 60-40 US - International split.

My overall portfolio is either 90/10 using the first method, or 75/25 at ~1.2x leverage using the second.

I wonder how many hear believe 75/25 at 1.2x leverage is riskier than 100% equities or even 90/10.
Hm... so do you normally count it as 1) or 2)? Seems a little weird to count the TMF part of HFEA as "equities" in this instance, but I think I might be completely misunderstanding your point.
bgf

Post by bgf »

OhpBuddy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:57 pm
bgf wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:42 pm Yes, two ways. First, I have 50-25-25 of IXUS, UPRO, TMF. So my international exposure is not through a leverage fund but works out to Vanguards 60-40 US - International split.

I wonder how many hear believe 75/25 at 1.2x leverage is riskier than 100% equities or even 90/10.
Hm... so do you normally count it as 1) or 2)? Seems a little weird to count the TMF part of HFEA as "equities" in this instance, but I think I might be completely misunderstanding your point.
You're correct, and I agree with you. I think that 1) is an oversimplification. It basically assumes that HFEA is benchmarked to outperform your equity allocation, so to simplify things you allocate as 100% equities. Again though, this is an oversimplification.

The second method is accurate but potentially more difficult to apply.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"
Topic Author
OhpBuddy

Re: How do you count HFEA as part of your AA?

Post by OhpBuddy »

Any other HFEAers? Am I posting this in the wrong thread? Not sure if all HFEA related things go in the HFEA mega-thread under "Theory."
ekid

Post by ekid »

What does HFEA stand for?
Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority- according to GOOGLE.

I struggle to insert that into an Asset Allocation.
xraygoggles

Post by xraygoggles »

Old thread but the way I allocate HFEA is just the entire portion (upro/tmf) as 5% of my portfolio. I don't separate the allocations in % stock vs % bonds, b/c it doesn't work without both components.
Simplicity is the key to brilliance - Vti & chill.
Walkure

Post by Walkure »

ekid wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:11 pm What does HFEA stand for?
Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority- according to GOOGLE.

I struggle to insert that into an Asset Allocation.
HEDGEFUNDIE's Excellent Adventure.

As an early accumulator, I don't really calculate AA. I do however include HFEA along with mortgage for the purposes of calculating my overall portfolio leverage ratio.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

I'm not a HFEAer but I'd just count the whole HFEA portion as equities if I were doing it.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Take the percentage of your total portfolio allocated to HFEA. Call that H.

Since you are using 55 UPRO/45 TMF, and since they are 3X leveraged, take 3xHx55% and count that as your US stock allocation. Take 3xHx45% and count that as your US bond allocation.

So if H were 10%, then you'd count it as 30% x 55% = 16.5% US stocks and 30% x 45% = 13.5% US bonds.

Since they are leveraged, when you add it all up your total portfolio will add up to 120% instead of 100%.

To take a crazy example to make the mental arithmetic clearer, suppose the rest of your portfolio were 90% international stocks.

Then your final answer, for 90% international stocks and 10% HFEA, would be

16.5% US stocks
90% international stocks
13.5% US bonds

Total 120%
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
xraygoggles

Post by xraygoggles »

nisiprius wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:18 pm Take the percentage of your total portfolio allocated to HFEA. Call that H.

Since you are using 55 UPRO/45 TMF, and since they are 3X leveraged, take 3xHx55% and count that as your US stock allocation. Take 3xHx45% and count that as your US bond allocation.

So if H were 10%, then you'd count it as 30% x 55% = 16.5% US stocks and 30% x 45% = 13.5% US bonds.

Since they are leveraged, when you add it all up your total portfolio will add up to 120% instead of 100%.

To take a crazy example to make the mental arithmetic clearer, suppose the rest of your portfolio were 90% international stocks.

Then your final answer, for 90% international stocks and 10% HFEA, would be

16.5% US stocks
90% international stocks
13.5% US bonds

Total 120%
Let's say someone had HFEA as 20% of Roth portfolio, and it was 100k total portfolio size, would the leverage ratio of the entire Roth be 20k*3 + 80k / 100k = 1.4x?
Simplicity is the key to brilliance - Vti & chill.
er999

Post by er999 »

I don't think you should count it and you should set your AA as though it doesn't exist. in 5-10 years later you can reassess. That is assuming HFEA isn't more than 10% of so of your portfolio, it it's bigger to the point where having it go to zero would cause you big concern maybe you should reduce the amount of your assets in HFEA.