Roth IRA

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
flo879

Roth IRA

Post by flo879 »

Hello,

I have a current target fund retirement account via employer, but want to contribute to the the max $6k to an ROTH IRA. Is it wise to invest in only one index fund (am looking into S & P 500) or is it recommended to invest in 2 o 3 index funds? My current allocation in my retirement account is 90% stock-if I choose more than one index fund, do I then split the 90% allocation evenly percentage wise between those funds?

Tips would be great, on what types of index funds and how many to choose from. I'm trying to steer away from a retirement targeted date fund due to the expense ratio.

Thank you!
KingRiggs

Re: ROTH IRA

Post by KingRiggs »

Looks like you have been considering your Roth (not ROTH) IRA since November...

Most common advice is place the investments with the highest expected rates of return in a Roth, as it grows and is withdrawn tax-free. Most recommend simply holding a broad-market US stock index fund in the Roth.

You can then use your 401k space to arrive at whatever ratio of stock to bonds you have decided upon. It is typically best NOT to have the same ratio mirrored in each account. Search the Bogleheads Wiki for entries about asset location (not allocation) for further reading.
Advice = noun | Advise = verb | | Roth, not ROTH | | "Remember, there's always money in the banana stand." - George Bluth, Sr.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

The go to portfolio here is a 3 fund portfolio consisting of a total stock market, total international stock market and total bond market index fund. An S&P 500 fund is an ok replacement of the total stock market fund.
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Three-fund_portfolio
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

flo879 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:24 pm Hello,

I have a current target fund retirement account via employer, but want to contribute to the the max $6k to an ROTH IRA. Is it wise to invest in only one index fund (am looking into S & P 500) or is it recommended to invest in 2 o 3 index funds? My current allocation in my retirement account is 90% stock-if I choose more than one index fund, do I then split the 90% allocation evenly percentage wise between those funds?

Tips would be great, on what types of index funds and how many to choose from. I'm trying to steer away from a retirement targeted date fund due to the expense ratio.

Thank you!
There are reasons you might not want a target fund in your Roth but expense ratio isn't a rational one given the miniscule differences in expense ratios. If you read the wiki here you'll see that generally you'd want your highest-theoretical-potential-growth (so, generally equity, the past few weeks notwithstanding) investments in your Roth. So maybe equities in Roth and whatever fixed income you have in deferred, for example.
Silk McCue

Re: Roth IRA

Post by Silk McCue »

One fund is fine. Our preference is Vanguard Total World. 100% equities.

Cheers
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

Just for reference, only the first letter is capitalized in “Roth”. It refers to Senator William Roth.
wetgear

Post by wetgear »

flo879 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:24 pm Hello,

Thank you!
Hi flo,

If you provide more information in this format you likely will get better and more complete advice: viewtopic.php?t=6212

In general most here will suggest starting here: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_started
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

flo879 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:24 pm I have a current target fund retirement account via employer, but want to contribute to the the max $6k to an ROTH IRA. Is it wise to invest in only one index fund (am looking into S & P 500) or is it recommended to invest in 2 o 3 index funds? My current allocation in my retirement account is 90% stock-if I choose more than one index fund, do I then split the 90% allocation evenly percentage wise between those funds?
Having a target date fund in your 401k and a single stock fund in your IRA is perfectly fine. So is having a target date fund in both.

For the Roth IRA, S&P 500, Total Stock Market, or Total World Market are all fine choices.