What is the current rate on EE Bonds from 1993?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
kevin99

What is the current rate on EE Bonds from 1993?

Post by kevin99 »

My parents have a few thousand dollars of Series EE Bonds they purchased in March and April of 1993. It looks like each bond has a $200 face value. Can someone help me understand what the current interest rate is on these bonds?

If I fill in this form for 03/1993 I see a rate of 4%. (https://treasurydirect.gov/BC/SBCPrice)

Is that the current rate? If that is the case it makes sense for them to leave the bonds alone for another year. However, if the current rate is lower than .5% (what they can get in their Ally savings account) then I would tell to redeem the EE bonds and put the money in online savings or into I-Bonds.

Should they keep the EE bonds or redeem them? Thank you for any insight!
FactualFran

Re: What is the current rate on EE Bonds from 1993?

Post by FactualFran »

Not only is the current rate 4%, the rate will almost certainly continue to be 4% until those bonds mature in 2023.
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

If I recall correctly, once the maturity date (30 years) has been reached, they will STOP paying interest, so there is no point in holding them longer than the maturity date.

Regards,
If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. -George Orwell
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

FactualFran wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:51 am Not only is the current rate 4%, the rate will almost certainly continue to be 4% until those bonds mature in 2023.
That's correct. They are guaranteed to pay 4% until they reach final maturity in 2023.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Topic Author
kevin99

Post by kevin99 »

Thank you all for confirming the rate! I'll let them to know to hold on to their EE bonds until 2023 and then redeem them to invest elsewhere.