TD Ameritrade removing support for Roth Solo 401k accounts

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
DarkNyte

TD Ameritrade removing support for Roth Solo 401k accounts

Post by DarkNyte »

I have been informed that Schwab will not support roth solo 401k accounts after the merger with TD Ameritrade in 2023. Thoughts on where would be the best place to roll over these accounts? Is etrade the only viable option now if you want a Roth 401k? Any other providers that allow roth and rollovers?

Re: TD Ameritrade removing support for Roth Solo 401k accounts

Post by 000 »

I thought I read on here that Fidelity was going to support Roth or that Vanguard was going to support rollovers?

Might want to double check if either of those has changed their program.
SuzBanyan

Post by SuzBanyan »

I don’t think that changing the provider of a Solo 401k by amending the plan is technically a rollover that may be prohibited by some providers. If you amend the plan, the funds in the plan have to move and any provider will allow this.

Vanguard now allows rollovers into its Solo 401k accounts from IRAs or funds held in a 401k from a forever employer.

Vanguard also allows Roth accounts in its solo 401ks.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

DarkNyte wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:51 pm I have been informed that Schwab will not support roth solo 401k accounts after the merger with TD Ameritrade in 2023. Thoughts on where would be the best place to roll over these accounts? Is etrade the only viable option now if you want a Roth 401k? Any other providers that allow roth and rollovers?
Vanguard offers a Roth Individual (Solo) 401k, link.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
bzcat

Post by bzcat »

Vanguard supports rollovers as of sometime last year. The institutional process was still choppy, but it got done.