Where to park cash?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
SpaceCowboy

Where to park cash?

Post by SpaceCowboy »

Where are people putting cash to earn even a little interest these days? Had a CD mature and will use proceeds over the year for expenses.
I’ve been using Toyota Income Driver Notes, but they dropped their rates again down to 1.15%. I realize its not FDIC insured.
patrick

Re: Where to park cash?

Post by patrick »

You can get close to that, or much higher with some limits, in federally insured accounts:

* 7.12% on Series I US savings bonds for 6 months, then periodically adjusts based on recent inflation. $10,000 annual purchase limit, no redemption allowed for one year, defers federal taxes, avoids state taxes.
* 6.17% at Digital Credit Union. $1,000 limit.
* 6% at H-E-B Debit. $2,000 limit. Requires some activity every 90 days to avoid fees, a $1 ACH push is sufficient.
* 5% at Service Credit Union. $500 limit, you can also get 3% on an additional $3,000.
* 4.07% at Genisys Credit Union. $7,500 limit, requires 10 debit purchases of $5 or more each month.
* 3.3% at Evansville Teachers Federal Credit Union. $20,000 limit, requires 15 debit purchases (any amount) each month and an electronic deposit.
* 3% at One Finance. No limit, but funding the 3% account is limited to 10% payroll/benefits direct deposits, up to a maximum of $1,000 per month.
* 1% at T-Mobile Money. No limit or requirements.
Wiggums

Post by Wiggums »

SpaceCowboy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:35 pm Where are people putting cash to earn even a little interest these days? Had a CD mature and will use proceeds over the year for expenses.
I’ve been using Toyota Income Driver Notes, but they dropped their rates again down to 1.15%. I realize its not FDIC insured.
We accept the best rate that we can find without opening 5 more accounts. This is not a criticism of anyone who wants to maximize their return. We focus on total return. CDs are not worth much effort right now.
"I started with nothing and I still have most of it left."
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

SpaceCowboy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:35 pm Where are people putting cash to earn even a little interest these days? Had a CD mature and will use proceeds over the year for expenses.
I don’t think that you’ll find a rate much better than Toyota for any significant amount of cash that you’ll spend down over a year.

I agree with Wiggums about not opening multiple accounts to earn higher rates of interest on pretty trivial balances. I like to keep my financial life simple. :D
Last edited by Stinky on Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

Many conservative investors, myself included, favor fixed annuities these days. They pay much better than bank accounts, money market funds, CD and other low-risk fixed income investments.

There was a good thread recently titled Purchasing MYGAs (multi year guaranteed annuities) - mega thread that might be worth a look.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=334589

I believe the shortest MYGA on offer is 2 years so they probably aren't applicable for your situation.
Last edited by 7eight9 on Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
acejacksingh

Post by acejacksingh »

Hi this is asked all the time - I-bonds are the best way currently. Check out the wiki for answers. :sharebeer
Topic Author
SpaceCowboy

Post by SpaceCowboy »

@patrick Don't have direct deposits, so I can't use those types of accounts. Their maximum deposits are just too low.
Also, this is basically a decent chunk of cash to fund a year's worth of living expenses. Plan to draw down once a month.
@7eight9 I switched to MYGAs to replace maturing CDs that I rollover, but have primarily used 5 year terms. Not feasible for this year's cash.
Will buy my limit of iBonds, like everyone else. That's pretty much a no-brainer in the current environment. Just wish TIPS had a similar 0% real rate floor.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

SpaceCowboy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:56 pm @patrick Don't have direct deposits, so I can't use those types of accounts. Their maximum deposits are just too low.
Also, this is basically a decent chunk of cash to fund a year's worth of living expenses. Plan to draw down once a month.
@7eight9 I switched to MYGAs to replace maturing CDs that I rollover, but have primarily used 5 year terms. Not feasible for this year's cash.
Will buy my limit of iBonds, like everyone else. That's pretty much a no-brainer in the current environment. Just wish TIPS had a similar 0% real rate floor.
If you're over 59.5, MYGAs are an option. (Or, if you will be by the time it matures. Alternatively, you can roll the maturing MYGA into a new one.)
Topic Author
SpaceCowboy

Post by SpaceCowboy »

exodusNH wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:58 pm
SpaceCowboy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:56 pm @patrick Don't have direct deposits, so I can't use those types of accounts. Their maximum deposits are just too low.
If you're over 59.5, MYGAs are an option. (Or, if you will be by the time it matures. Alternatively, you can roll the maturing MYGA into a new one.)
How are they an option for cash that's needed during the year? They have high early withdrawal penalties?
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

SpaceCowboy wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:04 am
exodusNH wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:58 pm
How are they an option for cash that's needed during the year? They have high early withdrawal penalties?
Sometimes you can withdraw a small percentage each year. It depends on the product. They are most definitely not suitable for regular withdrawals.
smectym

Post by smectym »

Space, if you really mean “cash,” as opposed to compromises such as a term or lock-up, or an element of risk, one approach is to simply shrug and invest in a money market fund such as Vanguard U.S. Treasury VUSSX, on the premise that by 2023 the fund may be yielding 2% or more, depending on the pace of Fed interest rate hikes. That’s what I would do if I really required a demand deposit investment today.
richard.h.gao

Post by richard.h.gao »

smectym wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:24 am Space, if you really mean “cash,” as opposed to compromises such as a term or lock-up, or an element of risk, one approach is to simply shrug and invest in a money market fund such as Vanguard U.S. Treasury VUSSX, on the premise that by 2023 the fund may be yielding 2% or more, depending on the pace of Fed interest rate hikes. That’s what I would do if I really required a demand deposit investment today.
VUSSX is already down 8% in the past year. A 2% yield isn't going to offset your losses.
wetgear

Post by wetgear »