Vanguard website unuseable lately?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
oneleaf

Vanguard website unuseable lately?

Post by oneleaf »

Has anyone had an awful experience with the Vanguard website? I've tried to do some trades last Friday as well as today. What would normally take me about 5 minutes has now taken me an hour and I'm not even done yet. I have to try logging in and navigating through creative ways to get to the page I want. Friday was like this, too, but I just waited a couple hours and tried again later in the day.

I am wondering if anyone else has had the same experience? I do hope Vanguard knows about their technical problems, but I also don't feel like sitting on the phone just to let them know.
count damoney

Re: Vanguard website unuseable lately?

Post by count damoney »

That's odd. No problems here.
MadAsgardian

Post by MadAsgardian »

Not so much performance issues -- but their in-progress redesign buries a lot of really basic features, eventually directing you to the old site (especially in my employer plan area).
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

No issue here. Back door Roth and changes to the amount of automatic investment done quickly and smoothly.
Time is the ultimate currency.
Expro

Post by Expro »

No problems buying VTI 38 minutes ago.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

oneleaf wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:21 pm Has anyone had an awful experience with the Vanguard website? I've tried to do some trades last Friday as well as today. What would normally take me about 5 minutes has now taken me an hour and I'm not even done yet. I have to try logging in and navigating through creative ways to get to the page I want. Friday was like this, too, but I just waited a couple hours and tried again later in the day.

I am wondering if anyone else has had the same experience? I do hope Vanguard knows about their technical problems, but I also don't feel like sitting on the phone just to let them know.
I noticed some performance problems Friday. It looked like it was some sort of issue with the telemetry provider.
Topic Author
oneleaf

Post by oneleaf »

Hmmm, I just finally got it working with Firefox and it went smoothly. Chrome was unuseable on two different machines. I guess I should remember to use other browsers next time I run into issues. Thanks for the reports, everyone!
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

Site has been pretty stable for me in recent weeks. I would clear your cache in the broswer and start over. Or use a different browser. Better yet, different computer. The source could be caching, your PC or your network or your internet provider. you should try to test each portion independently if the problem persists. My odds on guess is, clear the cache!
Wiggums

Post by Wiggums »

No problems with their website. My buy order was accepted and processed
"I started with nothing and I still have most of it left."
investmax

Post by investmax »

MadAsgardian wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:28 pm Not so much performance issues -- but their in-progress redesign buries a lot of really basic features, eventually directing you to the old site (especially in my employer plan area).
I am not a fan of the new redesign either. I just enter the employer plan and in the top bar, hover on explore and click on go to previous site. It brings me to the familiar Vanguard site with the full features.
Topic Author
oneleaf

Post by oneleaf »

OK, I am back to having spent half an hour to no avail trying to do a very basic transaction (sell some bonds shares). This is on both Firefox and Chrome. I would say the website has been truly terrible for a week now. Does anyone know a trick to trigger the old site rather than this abomination of a redesign?
celia

Post by celia »

Try clearing your cookies and re-boot the computer. Later, also check that you have lots of free space on your hard drive. And dr-frag your hard drive.

I signed on on Saturday and there was a notice that not all functionality was available. It looked more like NO functionality was available. Obviously, they were doing site maintenance.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum (Vanguard website).

Comments on the Vanguard website itself can be posted here: Vanguard Website

You'll find several posts where I've run into problems with Firefox (including a technical deep-dive). I use Chrome.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.