Vanguard - Extremely long customer support wait times

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
firmsoil

Vanguard - Extremely long customer support wait times

Post by firmsoil »

I am a new Vanguard customer.

1. What is the reason for frequent occurrence of extremely long (30 mins - 1 Hr) phone customer support wait times (as compared to Fidelity where this issue is virtually non-existent).
2. What is the reason for long fund settlement times (as compared to Fidelity where it is significantly faster) at Vanguard.
exodusNH

Re: Vanguard - Extremely long customer support wait times

Post by exodusNH »

firmsoil wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:48 am I am a new Vanguard customer.

1. What is the reason for frequent occurrence of extremely long (30 mins - 1 Hr) phone customer support wait times (as compared to Fidelity where this issue is virtually non-existent).
2. What is the reason for long fund settlement times (as compared to Fidelity where it is significantly faster) at Vanguard.
1: lots of customers and not enough call center staff
2: what do you mean? Is it that you have to wait after funding your settlement fund? If so, that's a function of being a new account. I am able to buy immediately after transferring funds in. It's an antifraud measure.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

There are many, many threads/posts about Vanguard's customer service (or lack thereof).

Just curious...why did you become a Vanguard customer if you find Fidelity to be superior, at least in the two aspects you mention?
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

firmsoil wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:48 am 2. What is the reason for long fund settlement times (as compared to Fidelity where it is significantly faster) at Vanguard.
Do you have an example of a "long" fund settlement time?

In my experience, it's either one or two days, depending on if the transaction was a mutual fund (T+1) or an ETF/stock (T+2). I believe this is standard in the financial industry.

Regards,
If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. -George Orwell
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

What time of the day are you calling?
Each firm has its own fund settlement process. You can ask but no two firms are alike nor should you expect it to be the same at a different firm. They each have their own policies so comparing Fidelity or Schwab or Vanguard to each other will be a futile exercise.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
6NDone

Post by 6NDone »

I’ve called Vanguard three times in the last 60 days. The first time I got an option for them to call me back within 30 min, and they did. The other two times my hold was no more than 30 sec to 2 min.
100% US TSM
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

I was told that a big reason is shortage of staff. They can't hire and maintain adequate staff .....like all of the country today. There are many vacancies all over in my home area, including tech and manual. I would expect that Vanguard is no different than the rest of the country.
Last edited by Sheepdog on Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Listened to Clark Howard podcast the other day and he mentioned the problem and said he was going to reach out to Vanguard to see if theyacknowledged the problem and were working on a solution. I’m sure they will blame rapid growth along with the virus who shall not be named. Hopefully they will say something like “we are aware of the problem and currently are hiring and training x thousand people and expect a marked improvement by 2045”.
Geologist

Post by Geologist »

I've called Vanguard twice since the beginning of the year. Once I waited ten minutes; the other time I was offered a call back within 30 minutes and I was called back in that time. (These times are the first times I've had occasion to call Vanguard in at least a year.)

Further, Fidelity and T. Rowe Price have had banners on their websites in the last three weeks or so (Price has one today) warning about delays in calling on the phone.
investmax

Post by investmax »

Called up twice this year to setup the Backdoor Roth process, I called as i didnt want any errors by doing it myself. First time was offered call back within 5 minutes and the call back came through in < 20 minutes. Did the TIRA process, on the phone with the rep. He was super helpful and friendly.

Second time for the conversion part, called Vanguard, within 5 minutes a rep picked up. But she wasnt from the IRA group so she forwarded me without offering the callback. I left it on speaker and I was connected to the IRA rep in 10-15 minutes and then it was a 5 minute call, to complete the conversion. Again very helpful and professional. No complaints from my side.

I have another brokerage account at TD Ameritrade. Again no complaints about customer service or pickup times. However they have a very high transaction fees for Vanguard and Fidelity funds. They have a limited set of NTFs which I have never purchased. Very recently they have increased the transaction fees from $49.95 to $74.95. We had another account here with was grandfathered from Scottrade to TD which was having a transaction fee of $17 which was grandfathered from Scottrade. Not great not terriblr. Even that is now increased :annoyed
I think this is excessive, and I am considering how to move this to Vanguard or another brokerage which offers Vanguards funds NTF.
leo383

Post by leo383 »

Waits can be long at Fidelity, too. Depends on what you need to do.

Everyone is short on staff right now.
3funder

Post by 3funder »

I've had to reserve a callback twice. Vanguard came through on both occasions.
Global stocks, US bonds, and time.
Sage16

Post by Sage16 »

Since moving all my accounts (all Vanguard ETF's) from Vanguard to Fidelity, I have come to really appreciate being able to call outside of normal business hours. I have no idea if Fidelity has any wait times during business hours but so far I have been able to get right through and get the info I need the few times I have called in the late evening and on the weekend.
Bogle on investing: Diversify, focus on low costs, invest for the long term. Don't speculate and don't be distracted by volatility.
DrChronzworth

Post by DrChronzworth »

Sheepdog wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:55 am I was told that a big reason is shortage of staff. They can't hire and maintain adequate staff .....like all of the country today. There are many vacancies all over in my home area, including tech and manual. I would expect that Vanguard is no different than the rest of the country.
Vanguard has had a "shortage" of staff for a while (since at least 2015 - personally I think it's a deliberate strategy) but I imagine onboarding staff nowadays while they are remote must be especially hellish for new callcenter employees since you lose the camaraderie with your fellow employees which will drive up attrition rates.

Source: 3 years on the phones at Vanguard.
BitTooAggressive

Post by BitTooAggressive »

DrChronzworth wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:41 pm
Sheepdog wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:55 am I was told that a big reason is shortage of staff. They can't hire and maintain adequate staff .....like all of the country today. There are many vacancies all over in my home area, including tech and manual. I would expect that Vanguard is no different than the rest of the country.
Vanguard has had a "shortage" of staff for a while (since at least 2015 - personally I think it's a deliberate strategy) but I imagine onboarding staff nowadays while they are remote must be especially hellish for new callcenter employees since you lose the camaraderie with your fellow employees which will drive up attrition rates.

Source: 3 years on the phones at Vanguard.
Of course it’s deliberate. Deliberate in the sense they know it is a problem but have decided it is better to make customers wait or leave vanguard, than devote the resources to fix it.
Topic Author
firmsoil

Post by firmsoil »

Thanks much all for your helpful responses.

I also want to inform the community that I tried calling twice today at 9:30 AM and 5:30 PM PST (after encountering an error during the Roth conversion functionality webpage) and the US toll free support number message started with "Hi this is Tim Buckley, President of Vanguard... We are experiencing an extremely high call volume right now... "

@galawdawg: Just curious...why did you become a Vanguard customer if you find Fidelity to be superior, at least in the two aspects you mention?
Firmsoil: I became customer about a couple of months ago upon finding out that fidelity does not offer taxable-account capital gains efficient Fidelity-owned (not iShares) S&P 500 ETF product (like VOO) and they do not have the vanguard like patent for equivalent capital gains efficient S&P 500 mutual fund (like VFIAX) which do not force investors to pay taxes without any direct selling initiated by the investor.

@retired@50: Do you have an example of a "long" fund settlement time?
Firmsoil: I made 3 transfers from Chase Bank, each of which took 7 business days to "settle" which means that it is not available for transfer transactions like Roth Conversions etc.

@Grt2bOutdoors: What time of the day are you calling?
Firmsoil: Between 9-11 AM and 5-6 PM PST.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

firmsoil wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:53 pm @retired@50: Do you have an example of a "long" fund settlement time?
Firmsoil: I made 3 transfers from Chase Bank, each of which took 7 business days to "settle" which means that it is not available for transfer transactions like Roth Conversions etc.
Curious how you made the transfers?

If you transferred via ACH I have found there is a difference between an "ACH pull" and an "ACH push". In the small experiments I've tried the funds are available much sooner with an "ACH push".
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
tj

Post by tj »

firmsoil wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:53 pm Thanks much all for your helpful responses.

I also want to inform the community that I tried calling twice today at 9:30 AM and 5:30 PM PST (after encountering an error during the Roth conversion functionality webpage) and the US toll free support number message started with "Hi this is Tim Buckley, President of Vanguard... We are experiencing an extremely high call volume right now... "

@galawdawg: Just curious...why did you become a Vanguard customer if you find Fidelity to be superior, at least in the two aspects you mention?
Firmsoil: I became customer about a couple of months ago upon finding out that fidelity does not offer taxable-account capital gains efficient Fidelity-owned (not iShares) S&P 500 ETF product (like VOO) and they do not have the vanguard like patent for equivalent capital gains efficient S&P 500 mutual fund (like VFIAX) which do not force investors to pay taxes without any direct selling initiated by the investor.

@retired@50: Do you have an example of a "long" fund settlement time?

@Grt2bOutdoors: What time of the day are you calling?
Firmsoil: Between 9-11 AM and 5-6 PM PST.

You could have bought VOO at fidelity. Don't pretty much all brokerages have free etf trades at this point?

I always called vanguard at like 6 or 7 am before I went to work and never had to wait too long.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Well they are well known for this so I think their customers need to stop complaining. Leave or do nothing. It's up to you.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

firmsoil wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:53 pm I became customer about a couple of months ago upon finding out that fidelity does not offer taxable-account capital gains efficient Fidelity-owned (not iShares) S&P 500 ETF product (like VOO)
What's wrong with the Fidelity-promoted iShares ETF products? I own both Vanguard ETFs at Vanguard and iShares ETFs at Fidelity and find no difference whatsoever in how they perform in taxable accounts.
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

BolderBoy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:20 pm
firmsoil wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:53 pm @retired@50: Do you have an example of a "long" fund settlement time?

If you transferred via ACH I have found there is a difference between an "ACH pull" and an "ACH push". In the small experiments I've tried the funds are available much sooner with an "ACH push".
My experience: if the money is already at Vanguard, then purchases settle as I described in my initial post in this thread. If moving money from a remote bank or checking account, then the settlement time is extended because Vanguard doesn't actually know if the money is there when the order is placed. There is always a chance at "insufficient funds" sort of issues.

I believe if you click the "buy" button at Vanguard, and say that the money is coming from a linked bank or checking account, you'll get the trade day price, but will be restricted from selling the recently purchased shares for a week.

Regards,
If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. -George Orwell
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Vanguard lets me initiate a transfer from my bank to my Vanguard settlement account and immediately buy mutual funds or ETFs before the ACH process completes. Roth conversions probably require more time because Vanguard needs to see the ACH process complete first.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

This is my recommendation on calling, don’t call on a Monday or the first business day after a major holiday where they are closed. Call on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday and at off-peak hours. What’s off peak? I’d say like 10:30 EST to about 12:30 EST, then maybe after the markets have closed but not during the last hour like 3pm to 4pm.

For what it’s worth, I’ve also gotten the prerecorded message and I’ve gotten the callback about 45 minutes later just as they indicated they would call. I understand they are short of staff and they are not the only ones. It’s ideal to have a live body pick up the phone within the first few rings.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter »

Early 60s, living off of IRAs and doing Roth conversions each year. We've been vanguard customers for well over 2 decades, Fidelity customers for 5 years, ML Edge customers for a decade, and Schwab (off and on) for the longest of any brokerage. Have never made a phone call to any of them.

I think we'd be better off with going to a Schwab or Fidelity office if we couldn't do something online... If I anticipated needing a lot of personal assistance, I'd likely bite the bullet and pay for a non-discount brokerage.
Our personal blog (no ads) of why we saved/invested: https://www.lisajtravels.com/
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

I push and pull from Vanguard to/from my bank all the time. It takes 2 days. If I put in an order to pull from my bank before 4 pm on Monday, it is in my Vanguard account by Wednesday morning. And vice-versa going from Vanguard to my bank.
JoeNJ28

Post by JoeNJ28 »

As someone who works in finance they prey on recent college grads who don’t know what they are worth. Their salaries are laughably low there and as soon as people figure it out they leave for better paying firms. Also why most aren’t as knowledgeable about more non normal stuff, all the good ones leave. Catch 22 they want to have the lowest fees but good workers cost money.
Topic Author
firmsoil

Post by firmsoil »

BolderBoy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:20 pm Curious how you made the transfers?

I see, thanks for sharing your experience. I used the "Transfer money >> Transfer to or from bank" option in my Vanguard Brokerage Account to pull money in from my linked Chase account whose account transaction metadata shows "ACH debit".

tj wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:23 pm You could have bought VOO at fidelity. Don't pretty much all brokerages have free etf trades at this point?

I always called vanguard at like 6 or 7 am before I went to work and never had to wait too long.
UpperNwGuy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:32 pm What's wrong with the Fidelity-promoted iShares ETF products? I own both Vanguard ETFs at Vanguard and iShares ETFs at Fidelity and find no difference whatsoever in how they perform in taxable accounts.
Good for you, whatever floats your boat. For my long-term (read >25 years projected) needs I am more sure of buying and holding a Vanguard ETF product sold and maintained by Vanguard over a Blackrock iShares ETF product sold and maintained by Fidelity.
UpperNwGuy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:37 pm Vanguard lets me initiate a transfer from my bank to my Vanguard settlement account and immediately buy mutual funds or ETFs before the ACH process completes. Roth conversions probably require more time because Vanguard needs to see the ACH process complete first.
Wow, Vanguard's customer service agent asked me to wait 7 days for the funds to "settle". I do not want to transact until I am sure that Vanguard has confirmed that the transferred funds have settled as I do not want to risk making an advance purchase only later to discover being charged any fees should the settlement process fail owing to no fault of mine.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

retired@50 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:35 pm
BolderBoy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:20 pm

My experience: if the money is already at Vanguard, then purchases settle as I described in my initial post in this thread. If moving money from a remote bank or checking account, then the settlement time is extended because Vanguard doesn't actually know if the money is there when the order is placed. There is always a chance at "insufficient funds" sort of issues.

I believe if you click the "buy" button at Vanguard, and say that the money is coming from a linked bank or checking account, you'll get the trade day price, but will be restricted from selling the recently purchased shares for a week.

Regards,
My experience with Vanguard ETFs at Vanguard: ACH money to account, buy funds immediately.

The only time I get the unsettled warning is when I sell an ETF and buy the same day. That warning just tells me I can't sell the new shares until the first sell settles or I bring new cash in.

Essentially, Vanguard floats me the incoming ACH. I've had an account for several years and auto mutual fund purchases for most of that time.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

firmsoil wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:08 pm Wow, Vanguard's customer service agent asked me to wait 7 days for the funds to "settle". I do not want to transact until I am sure that Vanguard has confirmed that the transferred funds have settled as I do not want to risk making an advance purchase only later to discover being charged any fees should the settlement process fail owing to no fault of mine.
This might be true for new accounts, but once you've made some purchases, that doesn't seem to be the case. Vanguard floats you the money until the ACH clears.

If you ACH money in, you won't be able to transfer it back to your bank or to a different account (e.g. IRA) until the ACH clears.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

firmsoil wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:08 pm For my long-term (read >25 years projected) needs I am more sure of buying and holding a Vanguard ETF product sold and maintained by Vanguard over a Blackrock iShares ETF product sold and maintained by Fidelity.
Why?
Wiggums

Post by Wiggums »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:37 pm
Vanguard lets me initiate a transfer from my bank to my Vanguard settlement account and immediately buy mutual funds or ETFs before the ACH process completes. Roth conversions probably require more time because Vanguard needs to see the ACH process complete first.
I just initiated a money transfer and I was able to place the buy order right away.
"I started with nothing and I still have most of it left."
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

When did VG start offering a call back option? When I transferred accounts out a few months ago they didn't offer that.
tj

Post by tj »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:53 am
firmsoil wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:08 pm For my long-term (read >25 years projected) needs I am more sure of buying and holding a Vanguard ETF product sold and maintained by Vanguard over a Blackrock iShares ETF product sold and maintained by Fidelity.
Why?
The vanguard ETF sold at fidelity is still maintained by vanguard. There is no reason not to buy the vanguard ETF at fidelity. In fact, you lower vanguard's costs by doing so.
Dandy

Post by Dandy »

Not making excuses but staffing is a big issue for most firms. A lot of the stores in my area have help wanted signs out.

I ran 2 mutual fund call centers and another problem is getting new hires trained. Our training took 6 weeks and tied up existing staff to help mentor trainees. Hard to get new college grads up to speed on investments, mutual funds, tax forms, expense ratios, etc. not to mention service skills. It is also an easy burnout job- tied to a phone, work is recorded and having to deal with irate customers.

But if Fidelity is doing it Vanguard should be able to do it. Maybe they are too expense focused.
Topic Author
firmsoil

Post by firmsoil »

Why?
It's about assessment of one's retirement risk profile. During a decades long retirement time horizon one needs to hedge against the risks of fertile potential for significant difference in corporate interests (goals, fee-sharing, future direction, investment product structure, joint-ownership model, etc) as sources of fragility of inter-corporate (read Fidelity-Blackrock) relationships.

Even within a singe corporate structure like Vanguard the present management has clearly chosen significantly different future direction of Private Equity, Active Management, ETFs etc that are in contrast with what Bogle publicly advocated prolifically during his later professional life.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

firmsoil wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:25 am
Why?
It's about assessment of one's retirement risk profile. During a decades long retirement time horizon one needs to hedge against the risks of fertile potential for significant difference in corporate interests (goals, fee-sharing, future direction, investment product structure, joint-ownership model, etc) as sources of fragility of inter-corporate (read Fidelity-Blackrock) relationships.

Even within a singe corporate structure like Vanguard the present management has clearly chosen significantly different future direction of Private Equity, Active Management, ETFs etc that are in contrast with what Bogle publicly advocated prolifically during his later professional life.
What you're saying is that you don't think either Vanguard or BlackRock can be trusted to maintain its ETFs as low cost investment vehicles over the next 25+ years. If you're correct, then most of us here are going to have a major problem.
quietseas

Post by quietseas »

You have no ability to control what companies with trillions of dollars under management will do. Vanguard is a company not a charity. It might be hard to do so, but they could sell themselves to private equity if they wanted to.

What you can control is giving yourself maximum flexibility. One way to do that is mentally separate your holdings (mutual funds, ETFs, stocks) from your brokerage. You can take portable holdings like ETFs and stocks to whatever brokerage you want to use. Mutual funds are less portable, with the example of Fidelity's proprietary Zero funds being unable to transfer to any other brokerage. I do not assume I will want to do business with the same company for decades.
Voltaire2.0

Post by Voltaire2.0 »

I've called twice in the last two days about account maintenance issues and was on hold for less than a minute each time.
afr

Post by afr »

But if Fidelity is doing it Vanguard should be able to do it. Maybe they are too expense focused.
[/quote]

I believe VG upper management is obsessed with controlling expenses except those concerning their own compensation packages. I do recall Buckley walking back on VG retiree medical benes not too long ago.
Sagenick48

Post by Sagenick48 »

I just went through the process of transferring two IRAs to Vanguard from USAA, the hold time was 60 plus minutes, so I elected to have them call back, “Amy” called back at about 70 minutes later, she was helpful, and courteous, the only hold up was that DocuSign was very slow so it took another 20 minutes to get things “done.” The next step is to see if it actually gets done.
The market goes up, the market goes down.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

^Why are "Amy" and "done" in quotes? You think they use false names and won't actually do it? Seems a little odd.
BitTooAggressive

Post by BitTooAggressive »

afr wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:50 pm But if Fidelity is doing it Vanguard should be able to do it. Maybe they are too expense focused.
I believe VG upper management is obsessed with controlling expenses except those concerning their own compensation packages. I do recall Buckley walking back on VG retiree medical benes not too long ago.
[/quote]
That dude is a clown. He did a crappy thing to the people that retired from vanguard, then got a little bad press and folded. That is the kind of people leading vanguard.