I accidentally revealed Vanguard account number in email

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
saver1

I accidentally revealed Vanguard account number in email

Post by saver1 »

I accidentally revealed my Vanguard account number in an email I was writing back to Vanguard. Does anyone know if I should be concerned about someone intercepting or seeing the email and having my account number?
Laundry_Service

Re: I accidentally revealed Vanguard account number in email

Post by Laundry_Service »

I would not be worried
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

saver1 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:25 pm I accidentally revealed my Vanguard account number in an email I was writing back to Vanguard. Does anyone know if I should be concerned about someone intercepting or seeing the email and having my account number?
Change your password asap.
And just check that holdings remain as they should be, the same as you should have been doing. In case of any problem, you want to report it in a timely fashion.

But don't fret.
Chances are very good that account numbers are already "out there" due to various breaches, announced or not.
The genie is out of the bottle on much of that.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

You might want to delete the email from sent file, so that, assuming you also use a mobile device for email, you aren't carrying around that email with the account number in it everywhere you go for the rest of your life.
Topic Author
saver1

Post by saver1 »

Makefile wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:30 pm You might want to delete the email from sent file, so that, assuming you also use a mobile device for email, you aren't carrying around that email with the account number in it everywhere you go for the rest of your life.
Done. Good suggestion.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

saver1 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:25 pm I accidentally revealed my Vanguard account number in an email I was writing back to Vanguard. Does anyone know if I should be concerned about someone intercepting or seeing the email and having my account number?
Were you really actually emailing Vanguard?
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

The obvious question is how did you manage to send a message to Vanguard via email? When you say email I assume you mean actual, public internet email, not the now-defunct Vanguard website messaging feature. What email service were you using (Gmail, etc.) and what address were you sending to - an @vanguard.com address?
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Agreed that *by far* the biggest concern here would be if you didn't actually send it to Vanguard.

Was this an on-going discussion you initiated with them? It wasn't someone "from Vanguard" emailing out of the blue was it?
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

saver1 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:25 pm I accidentally revealed my Vanguard account number in an email I was writing back to Vanguard.
Consider that people reveal their bank account number along with their name, address, sometimes phone number, and signature every time they write a check. They hand the check to a nameless stranger or send it via mail. They assume it will be passed along to and potentially viewed by any number of people before it gets destroyed. So, I don’t think revealing your Vanguard account number is a big deal.

That said, all bets are off if you didn’t initiate this exchange, and rather responded to an inquiry from a sender who identified themselves as Vanguard. You said you were “writing back”, which is concerning.
wander

Post by wander »

I wouldn't be worried about that.
Topic Author
saver1

Post by saver1 »

anon_investor wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:51 pm
Were you really actually emailing Vanguard?
Yes, it was a Vanguard email. I was the one who initiated the conversation with a phone call.
Topic Author
saver1

Post by saver1 »

tibbitts wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:55 pm
The obvious question is how did you manage to send a message to Vanguard via email? When you say email I assume you mean actual, public internet email, not the now-defunct Vanguard website messaging feature. What email service were you using (Gmail, etc.) and what address were you sending to - an @vanguard.com address?
I had a phone conversation with a Vanguard representative. After the conversation he followed up with an email and I replied to his email. Yes, it was a Vanguard email address. Yes, it was an actual email.
Topic Author
saver1

Post by saver1 »

dukeblue219 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:58 pm Agreed that *by far* the biggest concern here would be if you didn't actually send it to Vanguard.

Was this an on-going discussion you initiated with them? It wasn't someone "from Vanguard" emailing out of the blue was it?
Yes, it was an ongoing discussion I had initiated over the phone.
Topic Author
saver1

Post by saver1 »

Doctor Rhythm wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:52 pm
saver1 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:25 pm I accidentally revealed my Vanguard account number in an email I was writing back to Vanguard.
Consider that people reveal their bank account number along with their name, address, sometimes phone number, and signature every time they write a check. They hand the check to a nameless stranger or send it via mail. They assume it will be passed along to and potentially viewed by any number of people before it gets destroyed. So, I don’t think revealing your Vanguard account number is a big deal.

That said, all bets are off if you didn’t initiate this exchange, and rather responded to an inquiry from a sender who identified themselves as Vanguard. You said you were “writing back”, which is concerning.
Good points about the check writing.

I did initiate the exchange over the phone when I called into Vanguard.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

saver1 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:55 pm

And this is why Vanguard shouldn't do away with secure messaging...
Topic Author
saver1

Post by saver1 »

anon_investor wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:57 pm

And this is why Vanguard shouldn't do away with secure messaging...
Agreed
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

Check the return email address carefully. If it was addressed to [name]@Vanunguard.com, then you need to be worried and secure your account. If on the other hand the email can be confirmed to have gone to Vanguard, you are probably ok. Perhaps change your password and keep an eye on the account.
Topic Author
saver1

Post by saver1 »

Jeepergeo wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:21 pm
Check the return email address carefully. If it was addressed to [name]@Vanunguard.com, then you need to be worried and secure your account. If on the other hand the email can be confirmed to have gone to Vanguard, you are probably ok. Perhaps change your password and keep an eye on the account.
This is the email address.

Vanguard_Online <Vanguard_Online@vanguard.com>

I think it is legitimate. Also, the email content mentioned something I told the Vanguard representative over the phone. So, I am confident the email address is valid and from Vanguard.
rossington

Post by rossington »

I think you should be ok.
If someone calls Vanguard they will be asked for some security information that only you know.
If they try to log on to your account they would need your username and password.
Not sure why you didn't call Vanguard first about this, but I would at least ask if part or all of the account number can be deleted from the email on their end. They should be as concerned as you are about any security risk.
"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

rossington wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:09 am

I think you should be ok.
If someone calls Vanguard they will be asked for some security information that only you know.
If they try to log on to your account they would need your username and password.
Not sure why you didn't call Vanguard first about this, but I would at least ask if part or all of the account number can be deleted from the email on their end. They should be as concerned as you are about any security risk.
I'm not sure they can really delete part or all of the account number from already sent emails on their end. There are regulatory requirements about keeping email communications;, you can't just remove parts of emails you don't like. But I don't think that poses an extra security risk.

If you mean for them to remove the account number from future emails they might send (such as a response with the old email embedded in it), then sure go ahead and ask.
virgingorda

Post by virgingorda »

I wouldn't worry. I happen to use Fidelity, but I imagine Vanguard would be somewhat similar in that Fidelity has a massive anti-fraud/cyber-security department. They use voice matching over the phone and also monitor the dark web for login credentials constantly. It would be very hard to break in to your account just with a name and an account number. It is probably not a bad idea to set up two-factor authentication regardless, if you don't have it set up already.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

saver1 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:04 am This is the email address.
Vanguard_Online <Vanguard_Online@vanguard.com>
That means your email definitely got to someone at Vanguard, someone with access to the "Vanguard_Online email account. I don't see how this could be a problem.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
goingup

Post by goingup »

I wouldn't worry about it at all if you're sure the email was legitimate.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

saver1 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:53 pm
I had a phone conversation with a Vanguard representative. After the conversation he followed up with an email and I replied to his email. Yes, it was a Vanguard email address. Yes, it was an actual email.
Then I wouldn't worry, although it's interesting that Vanguard is using email to message you. Many financial institutions only use their own secure messaging (like Vanguard used to have) to contact customers, although some will deliver things like blank forms via regular email attachments. Was the email from Vanguard obviously intended to be replied to (like it asked a question), and did it have a "reply below this line" or subject ID that would direct it to the intended internal recipient at Vanguard?
Topic Author
saver1

Post by saver1 »

tibbitts wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:50 am
saver1 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:53 pm
Then I wouldn't worry, although it's interesting that Vanguard is using email to message you. Many financial institutions only use their own secure messaging (like Vanguard used to have) to contact customers, although some will deliver things like blank forms via regular email attachments. Was the email from Vanguard obviously intended to be replied to (like it asked a question), and did it have a "reply below this line" or subject ID that would direct it to the intended internal recipient at Vanguard?
No, it was not intended to be replied.
Wiggums

Post by Wiggums »

I wouldn’t worry about the sent email.
"I started with nothing and I still have most of it left."