I Bond interest posting

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
bengal22

I Bond interest posting

Post by bengal22 »

I bought I Bonds in May via Treasury Direct. I do not see any interest posting. So it is still valued at my purchase price. How do I see interest on Treasury Direct?
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
shess

Re: I Bond interest posting

Post by shess »

bengal22 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:53 pm I bought I Bonds in May via Treasury Direct. I do not see any interest posting. So it is still valued at my purchase price. How do I see interest on Treasury Direct?
I think they only post the amount you can realize if you withdraw, so for the first year there is nothing, then for the next four years it contains a penalty, and from there it is complete. So there will be a bump at 1-year and 5-years from purchase. Also, I think it's counted from the beginning of the month of purchase.
puddingfox

Post by puddingfox »

You need to go into the bonds to see it. I also purchased some in May of this year. The dashboard/homepage shows my purchase price. But when I click "Savings Bonds" it gives me two numbers: purchase price and current value.
Topic Author
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

puddingfox wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:56 pm You need to go into the bonds to see it. I also purchased some in May of this year. The dashboard/homepage shows my purchase price. But when I click "Savings Bonds" it gives me two numbers: purchase price and current value.
That worked. Thanks puddingfox
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
ApeAttack

Post by ApeAttack »

shess wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:55 pm
bengal22 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:53 pm I bought I Bonds in May via Treasury Direct. I do not see any interest posting. So it is still valued at my purchase price. How do I see interest on Treasury Direct?
I think they only post the amount you can realize if you withdraw, so for the first year there is nothing, then for the next four years it contains a penalty, and from there it is complete. So there will be a bump at 1-year and 5-years from purchase. Also, I think it's counted from the beginning of the month of purchase.
I purchased in May and can see accumulated interest minus the 3 month penalty. From what I've read you will get a 3 month interest bump on TD at the 5 year mark.
May all your index funds gain +0.5% today.
life in slices

Post by life in slices »

This site will give you a value of your iBonds without logging in, if you just want to confirm their value:
http://eyebonds.info/ibonds/home10000.html
shess

Post by shess »

ApeAttack wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:18 pm
shess wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:55 pm
I purchased in May and can see accumulated interest minus the 3 month penalty. From what I've read you will get a 3 month interest bump on TD at the 5 year mark.
Hmm. OK, I guess that makes sense, you're still earning the interest, you just cannot access it.
mikep

Post by mikep »

Is the difference in "current value" from Dec 2020-Dec 2021 what you use to pay taxes annually on I-bonds? Looking at this for my father who has more itemized deductions than income, so tax rate would be 0%. Then there would be an extra 3 months after 5 years? Or do you calculate before the penalty?
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

life in slices wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:04 pm This site will give you a value of your iBonds without logging in, if you just want to confirm their value:
You can always save your inventory at Treasury Direct for paper bonds, and you can also print a report for you electronic bonds.

To get a updated report for paper bonds you don't need to log in, but for the electronic bonds you do. One would have to load the paper bonds they buy (if any) via tax return. But, once loaded takes just updating each month. For the paper bond report not all browsers work.

I print off both reports each month, easy peasey. Once I have ran my reports, I update the amounts in Vanguard and file the reports in my investment binder.

Best 5-10 minutes of work each month. Always nice to see the updated reports, only bright spot today. Always larger, never lower.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
life in slices

Post by life in slices »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:52 pm
life in slices wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:04 pm This site will give you a value of your iBonds without logging in, if you just want to confirm their value:
You can always save your inventory at Treasury Direct for paper bonds, and you can also print a report for you electronic bonds.

To get a updated report for paper bonds you don't need to log in, but for the electronic bonds you do. One would have to load the paper bonds they buy (if any) via tax return. But, once loaded takes just updating each month. For the paper bond report not all browsers work.

I print off both reports each month, easy peasey. Once I have ran my reports, I update the amounts in Vanguard and file the reports in my investment binder.

Best 5-10 minutes of work each month. Always nice to see the updated reports, only bright spot today. Always larger, never lower.

Broken Man 1999
Had no idea - that is great info and will look to do that going forward
Link is here for those interested:
https://treasurydirect.gov/indiv/tools/ ... #Inventory
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

life in slices wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:00 pm

Broken Man 1999
Well, I'll confess I loaded my inventory more than once, but couldn't figure out how to save it, until I read the instructions and realized not all browsers worked. Duh! :oops:

The report generated is very nice, comprehensive.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:28 pm
life in slices wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:00 pm

Broken Man 1999
Well, I'll confess I loaded my inventory more than once, but couldn't figure out how to save it, until I read the instructions and realized not all browsers worked. Duh! :oops:

The report generated is very nice, comprehensive.

Broken Man 1999
And can you believe that Google Chrome, probably the most popular browser in use today, doesn't work? Come on, TD, get up to date!
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi