I-bond limit and joint-registration

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
workingovertime

I-bond limit and joint-registration

Post by workingovertime »

I understand that I-bonds have annual limits, but what happens when I have I-bonds registered with my spouse? For example, when I login to TreasuryDirect, it shows like:

"Registration: John Smith WITH Jane Doe". We did register it together intentionally but annual limit never came across our mind when we did it. We currently only purchased $4,000 with both of our names registered. We're looking to max out for 2021.
fabdog

Re: I-bond limit and joint-registration

Post by fabdog »

the limit is by SSN, or in the case of entity, the tax id number.

So you can buy $10K as John Smith with Jane Doe, and $10K as Jane Doe, with John Smith

If you have a trust you can buy $10K for that as well, even if it uses one of John or Jane's SSN as it's tax ID

And of course an additional $5K with your tax refund

Mike
ivgrivchuck

Post by ivgrivchuck »

workingovertime wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:17 pm I understand that I-bonds have annual limits, but what happens when I have I-bonds registered with my spouse? For example, when I login to TreasuryDirect, it shows like:

"Registration: John Smith WITH Jane Doe". We did register it together intentionally but annual limit never came across our mind when we did it. We currently only purchased $4,000 with both of our names registered. We're looking to max out for 2021.
Max is:
$10000 John Smith WITH Jane Doe
$10000 Jane Doe WITH John Smith

But you need to create two accounts to accomplish that.
25% VTI | 25% VXUS | 12.5% AVUV | 10% AVDV | 2.5% VWO | 25% BND/SCHR/SCHP
athan

Post by athan »

Today on CNBC Pat Toomey (Senate Finance Committee member) was asked about I-Bonds, and if he would be in favor of increasing the 10K limit. So apparently it is gaining traction from somewhere.
ivgrivchuck

Post by ivgrivchuck »

athan wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:36 pm Today on CNBC Pat Toomey (Senate Finance Committee member) was asked about I-Bonds, and if he would be in favor of increasing the 10K limit. So apparently it is gaining traction from somewhere.
I'm afraid that they might lower the limit or change the terms to be less favorable if I-bonds get too much attention... They've done it before.
25% VTI | 25% VXUS | 12.5% AVUV | 10% AVDV | 2.5% VWO | 25% BND/SCHR/SCHP
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

ivgrivchuck wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:38 pm
athan wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:36 pm Today on CNBC Pat Toomey (Senate Finance Committee member) was asked about I-Bonds, and if he would be in favor of increasing the 10K limit. So apparently it is gaining traction from somewhere.
I'm afraid that they might lower the limit or change the terms to be less favorable if I-bonds get too much attention... They've done it before.
Yes, especially when they learn that I Bonds are currently paying between 7+% and 10+%, depending on the fixed rate.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi