Problem creating treasury direct account

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
hbdad

Problem creating treasury direct account

Post by hbdad »

Just tried to create an account. After filling out all the personal info and submitting, I received an email from TD with my new account number, and also letting me know they had difficulty verifying my information (which is a shock to me) and that there is a hold on my account until I fill out a form, get it notarized and mailed back to TD. This seems ridiculous. Anyone else have this problem?
Nthomas

Re: Problem creating treasury direct account

Post by Nthomas »

I had the exact same problem a few day ago. Seems like a big hoop to jump through. Never had an issue opening accounts at any of the brokers.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

US Government agencies seem to use Equifax to verify identities. Have you pulled your credit reports lately to see if the information is accurate?
Wiggums

Post by Wiggums »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:48 pm US Government agencies seem to use Equifax to verify identities. Have you pulled your credit reports lately to see if the information is accurate?
We can’t answer the validation questions correctly for Equifax. To gain access to our credit report. We have to mail them documents. The whole validation process is annoying and you only get three trys
"I started with nothing and I still have most of it left."
OnTrack

Post by OnTrack »

So you only had to get it notarized? In the past they required a Medallion Signature Guarantee.
chemocean

Post by chemocean »

Do you need to unlock your credit reports to apply? I'll look on the TD website and see if there is any info on this issue.

As I posted in a previous
viewtopic.php?p=5991754#p5991754

I think the security questions are obtained from a different database than pulls from your credit reports. My data in the database for verification questions is merged with my "other" but my credit reports are not.
mmmmbrisket

Post by mmmmbrisket »

I had the same problem and still haven't been able to resolve it - I believe its because when I initially tried to create the account I had swapped the routing and account number. I sent in the requested form a few weeks ago but it still says that I have a hold on the account. I also sent a message through their contact form on Friday and will hopefully hear back next week
wbarabas

Post by wbarabas »

I had a problem last week with my bank info. I just called their toll free number instead of filling out forms and they fixed it over the phone for me. Had to wait on hold for a few minutes but still much quicker than filling out forms and faxing back.
Topic Author
hbdad

Post by hbdad »

wbarabas wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:21 am I had a problem last week with my bank info. I just called their toll free number instead of filling out forms and they fixed it over the phone for me. Had to wait on hold for a few minutes but still much quicker than filling out forms and faxing back.
Thanks. I'll try that route. No phone number was provided in the email so I'll look for it on the website. My credit reports aren't frozen. My social and DOB should be the same with all of them so I'm at a loss as to what didn't work.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

OnTrack wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:44 pm So you only had to get it notarized? In the past they required a Medallion Signature Guarantee.
Probably just terminology error. Same with yours I believe. They require for me a Signature Guarantee. Sort of in the middle of the two as I understand it. (Though I don’t have the form nearby)

I got the same email, same problem, haven’t fixed it yet.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

FWIW, despite the forms insisting that "notary" is not acceptable, if you run into problems trying to get an acceptable signature guarantee (like Medallion stamp) we have had several people report they were able to get TD to accept a notary when accompanying the form(s) with a note explaining their financial institution would not offer anything but notary service.
viewtopic.php?p=6315004#p6315004
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

JoMoney wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:32 am FWIW, despite the forms insisting that "notary" is not acceptable, if you run into problems trying to get an acceptable signature guarantee (like Medallion stamp) we have had several people report they were able to get TD to accept a notary when accompanying the form(s) with a note explaining their financial institution would not offer anything but notary service.
That’s good to know. I’m having the same trouble now. And since I use an online bank (USAA) I can’t get anyone local to do a Medallion Signature
“Conventional Treasury rates are risk free only in the sense that they guarantee nominal principal. But their real rate of return is uncertain until after the fact.” -Risk Less and Prosper
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

I had a similar issue recently, they said my bank account verification was unable to be verified and I have to get a form filled out instead. I cannot edit the bank account to fix it or add another bank, instead I have to fill out this form, get it signed by my bank, and mail it in. The tech on their website is seriously outdated. On on-screen keyboard so I can't use my password manager? I worry about the underlying security of this site if it's so behind.

All of my credit accounts have a security freeze. I didn't know this would be an issue when I signed up.

I have to say I'm tempted to just not bother at this point.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
dbr

Post by dbr »

Elsebet wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:27 am I had a similar issue recently, they said my bank account verification was unable to be verified and I have to get a form filled out instead. I cannot edit the bank account to fix it or add another bank, instead I have to fill out this form, get it signed by my bank, and mail it in. The tech on their website is seriously outdated. On on-screen keyboard so I can't use my password manager? I worry about the underlying security of this site if it's so behind.

All of my credit accounts have a security freeze. I didn't know this would be an issue when I signed up.

I had a TD account. Well, I still have it but there is nothing in it. The straw that broke the camel's back for me was when they issued the magic decoder ring card to use to get into the account. That was just too hokey.

https://fivecentnickel.com/treasurydire ... nt-access/
slaythecourse

Post by slaythecourse »

chemocean wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:15 am Do you need to unlock your credit reports to apply? I'll look on the TD website and see if there is any info on this issue.

I think the security questions are obtained from a different database than pulls from your credit reports. My data in the database for verification questions is merged with my "other" but my credit reports are not.
I opened an account for DW and myself a couple of weeks ago. I have credit frozen across all 3 reporting agencies for myself and had no issue opening the TD account. I did “not” un-freeze my credit to open.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

dbr wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:56 am
Elsebet wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:27 am I had a similar issue recently, they said my bank account verification was unable to be verified and I have to get a form filled out instead. I cannot edit the bank account to fix it or add another bank, instead I have to fill out this form, get it signed by my bank, and mail it in. The tech on their website is seriously outdated. On on-screen keyboard so I can't use my password manager? I worry about the underlying security of this site if it's so behind.

I had a TD account. Well, I still have it but there is nothing in it. The straw that broke the camel's back for me was when they issued the magic decoder ring card to use to get into the account. That was just too hokey.

https://fivecentnickel.com/treasurydire ... nt-access/
I think the decoder card was retired years ago.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

slaythecourse wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:59 pm
chemocean wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:15 am Do you need to unlock your credit reports to apply? I'll look on the TD website and see if there is any info on this issue.

I opened an account for DW and myself a couple of weeks ago. I have credit frozen across all 3 reporting agencies for myself and had no issue opening the TD account. I did “not” un-freeze my credit to open.
Credit freezes are not the problem. The problem is Treasury Direct's use of Equifax's identifying information to verify your identity. They can do that whether your credit reports are frozen or unfrozen. You need to pull your Equifax report and make sure all the information in it is accurate so you can correctly answer Treasury Direct's identity verification questions.
chemocean

Post by chemocean »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:34 pm

Credit freezes are not the problem. The problem is Treasury Direct's use of Equifax's identifying information to verify your identity. They can do that whether your credit reports are frozen or unfrozen. You need to pull your Equifax report and make sure all the information in it is accurate so you can correctly answer Treasury Direct's identity verification questions.
OK they can gather data with your credit report frozen. But, data is not pulled using your SSN,your address or birthdate. They must pull by name and zipcode only, because my verification data is consistently merged with the data from "other" with the same name and who lives in the same zipcode.
seychellois_lib

Post by seychellois_lib »

Timely post. Neither my Credit Union nor my brokerage had a clue how to deal with the medallion. Well, the CU had a clue but never did the processing and I just gave up.

Good to know a notarized doc will work.

With regard to security...well, say what you will but this looks like one account the SIM swappers won't be able to attack. If you use a complex password, you better write it down or it's going to take an act of congress to get back into the account.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

seychellois_lib wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:41 pm Timely post. Neither my Credit Union nor my brokerage had a clue how to deal with the medallion. Well, the CU had a clue but never did the processing and I just gave up.

Good to know a notarized doc will work.

With regard to security...well, say what you will but this looks like one account the SIM swappers won't be able to attack. If you use a complex password, you better write it down or it's going to take an act of congress to get back into the account.
I feel like Treasure Direct is the safest of all my accounts. Sometimes old school cannot be hacked.
Topic Author
hbdad

Post by hbdad »

Silverado wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:27 am
OnTrack wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:44 pm So you only had to get it notarized? In the past they required a Medallion Signature Guarantee.
Probably just terminology error. Same with yours I believe. They require for me a Signature Guarantee. Sort of in the middle of the two as I understand it. (Though I don’t have the form nearby)

I got the same email, same problem, haven’t fixed it yet.
Correct. Terminology error on my part. Form says it needs to be signed in the presence of a "certifying officer", whatever that means. Point remains, i have to take it somewhere, show ID, have a witness and have that witness sign it as well. And then per the form, snail mail it back. No fax or email option. But I will call this week and see what if anything can be done to avoid the hassle.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

The site, while it appears dated, it likely the most secure site you use.

The on-screen keyboard, as hokey as it looks, offers protection against generic keyloggers.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

exodusNH wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:48 pm

The on-screen keyboard, as hokey as it looks, offers protection against generic keyloggers.
I can't even imagine a bad guy even trying to hack into someone's Treasure Direct account.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

ScubaHogg wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:22 am
JoMoney wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:32 am FWIW, despite the forms insisting that "notary" is not acceptable, if you run into problems trying to get an acceptable signature guarantee (like Medallion stamp) we have had several people report they were able to get TD to accept a notary when accompanying the form(s) with a note explaining their financial institution would not offer anything but notary service.
That’s good to know. I’m having the same trouble now. And since I use an online bank (USAA) I can’t get anyone local to do a Medallion Signature
Would the signature guaranty have to be provided by the financial institution having the account you plan to use to buy the bonds? I'm not sure. The bank where I have an account didn't have anybody that could do a medallion signature guaranty, so I just went to a different bank. I don't have an account there, but they did it for me for free anyway. I just mailed the completed form a few days ago, so I don't know if what I did with the signature will work or not.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

Wiggums wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:59 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:48 pm US Government agencies seem to use Equifax to verify identities. Have you pulled your credit reports lately to see if the information is accurate?
We can’t answer the validation questions correctly for Equifax. To gain access to our credit report. We have to mail them documents. The whole validation process is annoying and you only get three trys
I unlock my credit reports about once a year. About a year ago, I went thru the same thing you are going thru with Equifax. They wouldn't let me unfreeze the report online, so I had to call and answer some questions. I couldn't answer them until I had a credit report in front of me to refer to. I either had one on file from a year or two prior, or I got one from one of the other credit reporting agencies. I'm don't remember which.

A few weeks ago, once again, their system wouldn't let me lift the freeze online. However, this time, the questions asked over the phone were very basic. I can't remember exactly what they were. Maybe something like name, SS#, address, and phone number. After answering these, they sent a text to my phone with a security code that I had to enter to lift the freeze.
OnTrack

Post by OnTrack »

OpenMinded1 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:05 pm
Would the signature guaranty have to be provided by the financial institution having the account you plan to use to buy the bonds? I'm not sure. The bank where I have an account didn't have anybody that could do a medallion signature guaranty, so I just went to a different bank. I don't have an account there, but they did it for me for free anyway. I just mailed the completed form a few days ago, so I don't know if what I did with the signature will work or not.
No, as long as you get the medallion signature guaranty, it shouldn't matter where you get it.
wbarabas

Post by wbarabas »

Try calling 844-284-2676. That's the number I used to get my account squared away.
Rudedog

Post by Rudedog »

Set up TD accounts for my wife and myself, no problem. My credit is frozen.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

anon_investor wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:52 pm

I can't even imagine a bad guy even trying to hack into someone's Treasure Direct account.
Then you do not have the imagination to be a criminal. :)
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

We thought we would convert paper to electronic and experienced difficulty with the site. It was possible to negotiate the application, but the requirements beyond that led to punting the entire issue.

Tim
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

exodusNH wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:26 am
anon_investor wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:52 pm

Then you do not have the imagination to be a criminal. :)
Good criminal would realize trying to hack TD is not worth the hassle and go after an easier target. :twisted:
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

Was it a national chain? Mind saying which bank? I can’t get anyone to do it
“Conventional Treasury rates are risk free only in the sense that they guarantee nominal principal. But their real rate of return is uncertain until after the fact.” -Risk Less and Prosper
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

ScubaHogg wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:23 am
It was a small branch of Chase. Also, I've had Fifth Third do it a few times.
JohnDoh

Post by JohnDoh »

OpenMinded1 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:14 pm
A Chase officer told me that Chase will do MSG for anyone with any type of financial relationship with Chase. E.g simply having a Chase credit card. Or you can have a savings account with $300. earns no interest; pay no fees. but get an ATM card and access to good old-fashioned bank services that are rarely needed, but critical when they are needed.

I kept my Chase CC and savings acct specifically for this purpose (and the rare cash deposit) when I otherwise consolidated my financial life at Fidelity as a one-stop shop.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

JohnDoh wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:31 pm

A Chase officer told me that Chase will do MSG for anyone with any type of financial relationship with Chase. E.g simply having a Chase credit card. Or you can have a savings account with $300. earns no interest; pay no fees. but get an ATM card and access to good old-fashioned bank services that are rarely needed, but critical when they are needed.

I kept my Chase CC and savings acct specifically for this purpose (and the rare cash deposit) when I otherwise consolidated my financial life at Fidelity as a one-stop shop.
I don't have any bank accounts with Chase, but do have a couple of their cards and a safe deposit box with them. However, I don't think they verified any of this when I got the medallion signature guaranty. They didn't ask. Maybe they just assumed I had some affiliation with them. Like I said, I went to one of their small branches. Maybe it would have been different if I tried it at the main branch in the middle of the city. Maybe they would have asked more questions.
JohnDoh

Post by JohnDoh »

OpenMinded1 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:56 pm

I don't have any bank accounts with Chase, but do have a couple of their cards and a safe deposit box with them. However, I don't think they verified any of this when I got the medallion signature guaranty. They didn't ask. Maybe they just assumed I had some affiliation with them. Like I said, I went to one of their small branches. Maybe it would have been different if I tried it at the main branch in the middle of the city. Maybe they would have asked more questions.
Well, I won't question your experience, but I will say that for 30 years it has been my experience that SOP is to present 2 things:
1) government ID (to establish identity)
2) ATM card or checkbook or ... (to establish banking relationship)

The officer then uses those to look me up in their system before issuing the guarantee (or notarization, if that's what I was in for) and making pleasant chit-chat.

Anyway, my main point though is that I think anyone can easily establish the necessary relationship with Chase -- which has many branches around the country -- and so get MSG easily and painlessly at will (at least in my experience).
UnionMan354

Post by UnionMan354 »

Don't think credit freeze is the issue as I have both credit freeze & fraud alerts with the credit bureaus and back in Oct was able to successfully create and use TD without issue.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

JohnDoh wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:53 pm
OpenMinded1 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:56 pm

Well, I won't question your experience, but I will say that for 30 years it has been my experience that SOP is to present 2 things:
1) government ID (to establish identity)
2) ATM card or checkbook or ... (to establish banking relationship)

The officer then uses those to look me up in their system before issuing the guarantee (or notarization, if that's what I was in for) and making pleasant chit-chat.

Anyway, my main point though is that I think anyone can easily establish the necessary relationship with Chase -- which has many branches around the country -- and so get MSG easily and painlessly at will (at least in my experience).
The officer requested ID. I gave him my driver's license. That was it.
carminered2019

Post by carminered2019 »

OP, I had the same problem couple days ago with new account but was able to call them up and got it resolved over the phone. No need to fill the forms which I also got.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

^ regarding getting a MSG stamp from Chase bank, I opened an account with Chase, and one of my main reasons was to get a MSG stamp for Treasury Direct.
I initially got a refusal from someone that wouldn't do it without some sort of "statement" of the account with my name on it :annoyed
After I managed to get some printouts of various parts of the web page, hoping that would suffice, the second person I spoke with at Chase didn't care about that at all. They looked at the initial form, said something to the effect of "We get these all the time..." and provided the signature guarantee without requiring other statements or documentation.

There was a thread over here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=358892
that was all about the trouble someone had with Chase declining to provide a signature guarantee, so it seems it can vary from branch to branch and even between different people at the same branch :?
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
lws

Post by lws »

Me too. Happened when I opened an account years ago. Needed the account so I did what they asked. Happy I did.
GuyInFL

Post by GuyInFL »

Same here. Opened four accounts with no issue. Self, Spouse, Self Trust, Spouse Trust
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

It very well could be, however I would wager that since people have to manually type a password in they are likely to use something easy and short vs. a more complex passphrase with a mix of characters that a password manager provides.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
JohnDoh

Post by JohnDoh »

JoMoney wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:08 pm ^ regarding getting a MSG stamp from Chase bank, I opened an account with Chase, and one of my main reasons was to get a MSG stamp for Treasury Direct.
I initially got a refusal from someone that wouldn't do it without some sort of "statement" of the account with my name on it :annoyed
After I managed to get some printouts of various parts of the web page, hoping that would suffice, the second person I spoke with at Chase didn't care about that at all. They looked at the initial form, said something to the effect of "We get these all the time..." and provided the signature guarantee without requiring other statements or documentation.

There was a thread over here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=358892
that was all about the trouble someone had with Chase declining to provide a signature guarantee, so it seems it can vary from branch to branch and even between different people at the same branch :?
That's very weird. I've never had anyone ask anything about the document on which I needed the MSG, whether it was a TD document or otherwise. Moreover, I can't see what business it is of there's. The MSG guarantees the identity of the signer. Nothing more.

But I gather from the linked thread that "Chase" is many different things to many different people. Makes me nervous about my hold on reality, really. :shock: