VT ETF allocation between large, mid and small caps

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
jkfe

VT ETF allocation between large, mid and small caps

Post by jkfe »

Hi,

I'd like to know what is the percentage allocated to large, mid and small caps in the VT (Vanguard Total World Stock) ETF.

Where do I find that info from the source itself (Vanguard)?

I could find it from other sources, but would like to read directly from them.

Thanks.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: VT ETF allocation between large, mid and small caps

Post by nisiprius »

I would distrust the accuracy but I think one way to do that is to use Portfolio Watch. It may be necessary to set up a special "account group" only containing VT if your actual portfolio has other stock funds in it.

I take it back. I just struggled trying to do it. I couldn't quite do it, not even using special account groups and Portfolio Tester.
Last edited by nisiprius on Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

jkfe wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:30 pm Hi,

I'd like to know what is the percentage allocated to large, mid and small caps in the VT (Vanguard Total World Stock) ETF.

Where do I find that info from the source itself (Vanguard)?

I could find it from other sources, but would like to read directly from them.

Thanks.
Size Fund %
Giant 43.25
Large 31.28
Mid 19.12
Small 4.98
Micro 0.52

Per Morningstar, VT/VTWAX
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

jkfe wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:30 pm I could find it from other sources, but would like to read directly from them.
And
nisiprius wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:33 pm I would distrust the accuracy but I think one way to do that is to use Portfolio Watch. It may be necessary to set up a special "account group" only containing VT if your actual portfolio has other stock funds in it.
About 80%.

There is no formal objective definition of what large, mid, and small caps are. Different index providers use different measuring sticks. One index will measure a company as large, a different one was mid. It is why I am skeptical of Nisiprius' answer.

Nisprius, do you know what standard Portfolio Watch is using?

I would start with the CRSP's white papers. Best to understand how they are measuring things. Otherwise - well - it changes daily.
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I did it! I did it!

I used the "Portfolio Tester" feature of Portfolio Watch. I couldn't figure out how to get rid of the non-VT investments I already have, so I simply ran a test in which I invested enough in VT to bring my account total up to a trillion dollars. The effect of the investments I have in addition to VT are within the roundoff error.

Last edited by nisiprius on Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

Why is this useful? I don't think there are strict definitions of what large, mid, and small mean from one company to another.

Are you trying to replicate VT with individual ETFs that cover each slice on their own?
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

I don't think it's very useful, but jkfe answered a question and I tried to figure out a way to answer it.

Rounded to the nearest percentage, Vanguard is saying 80/14/7--let's take the extra out of the 80 to satisfy nit-pickers--79/14/7.

It is a) an answer of sorts b) sourced from Vanguard.

Just blindly accepting what Morningstar is showing VT >> portfolio

= 73/17/4 which only adds up to 94--I wish Morningstar would get that fixed. So let's divide everything by 0.94 to get 78/18/4.

One issue is that I don't think index providers draw the large/mid/small-cap category lines in the same places for US as they do for international stocks. So an analysis that mixes US and international stocks together is problematical.
Last edited by nisiprius on Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
jkfe

Post by jkfe »

nisiprius,
Thanks for the Portfolio Watch and Morning Star data.
That's great and very helpful.
muffins14 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:00 pm Are you trying to replicate VT with individual ETFs that cover each slice on their own?
Exactly. I'm trying to replicate VT with Ireland domiciled ETF's.
For that I have VWRA which is the most similar one, but as far as I understand, invests only in Large and mid caps.
It has around 3K companies in it while VT is around 9K.
So was wondering how much of VT is small cap to see if I should bother adding a small cap ETF to the portfolio to be able to replicate VT as much as possible.

The source could be the index itself as well. But could not find that info there either.

There's the ETF anual report with all the stocks. But not practical to get to the number that way.

When I said I had found on other sources it was etf.com.

On the VT page there's this info:

Large (>12.9B)81.83%
Mid (>2.7B)14.50%
Small (>600M)3.30%
Micro (<600M)0.35%

But don't know where they are getting that data from.