Getting off Fisher Investment mailing list

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
djpeteski

Getting off Fisher Investment mailing list

Post by djpeteski »

Somehow, some way I got on the Fisher Investment mailing list.

Despite being bombarded with web ads, I have never clicked on one, or requested their valuable information. From reading other posts, I feel like it will become a regular occurrence. In the mailer, they congratulated me on "out saving my peers" and becoming "among the wealthiest" whatever and offered some very "valuable" reports for free if I respond right away. I have no idea how they got my information.

I am considering responding. Given that Fisher targets those with > 500K in investable assets, I am thinking of responding saying I have much less. The hope being that I get kicked off their mailing list. One of the boxes one can check is 0-199K in investable assets.

Thoughts?
jebmke

Re: Getting off Fisher Investment mailing list

Post by jebmke »

Unclear whether you mean an email list or regular mail (paper). I have found that marking stuff like this as spam does a pretty good job of filtering out the junk email.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

djpeteski wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:30 am Somehow, some way I got on the Fisher Investment mailing list.

Despite being bombarded with web ads, I have never clicked on one, or requested their valuable information. From reading other posts, I feel like it will become a regular occurrence. In the mailer, they congratulated me on "out saving my peers" and becoming "among the wealthiest" whatever and offered some very "valuable" reports for free if I respond right away. I have no idea how they got my information.

I am considering responding. Given that Fisher targets those with > 500K in investable assets, I am thinking of responding saying I have much less. The hope being that I get kicked off their mailing list. One of the boxes one can check is 0-199K in investable assets.

Thoughts?
Responding to unwanted mails may result in even more junk. I think it may be more efficient by identifying such emails as junk and throwing such paper mails into the trash.
skeptical1

Post by skeptical1 »

I agree with the never respond to a spammer approach.

If it's email you are talking about, most email platforms allow you to establish rules to automatically do a number of things, including forwarding emails from "x" to your spam folder. If Fisher is tempting only your spam folder, let them go for it! Something akin to the tree in the forest scenario.
dbr

Post by dbr »

I find that unsubscribe actually works much of the time. Does Fisher give you that option for e-mail?
Topic Author
djpeteski

Post by djpeteski »

Sorry all this was snail mail, not email. Luckily they do not have my email.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

djpeteski wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:52 am Sorry all this was snail mail, not email. Luckily they do not have my email.
Recycle; not worth chasing to get off the list. They probably have info from somewhere that they use to generate their mailing list.
jmorgans

Post by jmorgans »

One of my teachers growing up got his kicks from sending back empty “business reply mail” envelopes. Figured they’d maybe change their marketing tactics if they get stuck paying for enough postage.
dbr

Post by dbr »

Stopping junk in the snail mail is simply not possible. I think 95% of our snail mail is junk, most of it for reasons/relationships that are no reason/no relationship. A good fraction of it is simply addressed to "occupant."
aspiring_kiwi

Post by aspiring_kiwi »

If they included a prepaid return envelope, and you're truly annoyed, you could stuff as much of their mailing as you can into their return envelope and mail it back. The heavier the better. Entirely up to you whether you want to anonymize the response by removing the parts with your name and address. This has the following benefits:

1) supports the USPS with additional revenue
2) increases the cost of their marketing. Companies use junk mail b/c the benefits outweigh the costs. Now, they have to pay for return shipping, and pay someone to open and discard this mail.
3) gives you the satisfaction that mailing to you cost the offender a little bit more than they'd bargained for
sc9182

Post by sc9182 »

Heard a story that - someone mailed a heavy brick using their PrePaid envelope (with return address written on it). A couple of cycles later that unwanted mailer stopped sending such snail mails.

Not sure if it is true or an urban legend - can you update us !? :-)
LeftCoastIV

Post by LeftCoastIV »

To reduce junk mail (snail mail), try DMAchoice.org
Monster99

Post by Monster99 »

if you have a working fireplace or wood burning stove, the junk mail works as fire starter material....
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Just pitch it into the recycling bin. It supports the USPS so that’s one bright spot.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I'm not sure why this is annoying. It's just an item in your mailbox, and you can recycle it easily enough (well maybe not the envelope, but the contents.) Maybe you have capacity issues if you're away for extended periods and have someone picking up your mail once in a while? I used to get mail from them all the time, and never did anything about it, but it stopped on its own eventually.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Nicolas wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:08 am Just pitch it into the recycling bin. It supports the USPS so that’s one bright spot.
The issue with USPS is that at various times they've complained about too much mail causing problems and also too little mail causing problems, so I'm not sure if this is supporting USPS or not. Maybe there's a mail volume "sweet spot?"
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

"Congratulations are in order!"
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Use their prepaid return envelope to put a one-word message "DECEASED" inside.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Wiggums

Post by Wiggums »

djpeteski wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:30 am Somehow, some way I got on the Fisher Investment mailing list.

Thoughts?
They will probably sell your contact info. I’d just ignore the mail or write on it, “not at this address”.
Last edited by Wiggums on Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I started with nothing and I still have most of it left."
J295

Post by J295 »

You could move and not leave a forwarding address. 😂
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

I just called and after refusing to give a reason, he took me off their list
(took about a month)
I was not going to give him an option to overcome objections.
I just said I don't need to give a reason.
Godot

Post by Godot »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:22 am Use their prepaid return envelope to put a one-word message "DECEASED" inside.
Perfect! I'll be doing this with the weekly junk mail I get from AARP, AAA, and numerous credit card companies and banks. Thanks, Mel.
"The day you die is just like any other, only shorter." | ― Samuel Beckett

Post by 123 »

jmorgans wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:58 am One of my teachers growing up got his kicks from sending back empty “business reply mail” envelopes. Figured they’d maybe change their marketing tactics if they get stuck paying for enough postage.
Or a business reply envelope can be sent back with a little "extra" in it. Like a tea bag.

I worked in one office that involved having to follow-up with customers for documents etc. One day there was a loud scream that got everyone's attention from one of the clerical staff who had opened one of the follow-up business reply envelope that was full of cigarette butts (with lipstick marks).
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Godot wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:33 pm
Mel Lindauer wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:22 am Use their prepaid return envelope to put a one-word message "DECEASED" inside.
Perfect! I'll be doing this with the weekly junk mail I get from AARP, AAA, and numerous credit card companies and banks. Thanks, Mel.
They will be back; your name will show up on some purchased list and they will keep sending it to you. Universities are probably the best at hunting you down. I moved out of the country for 4 years and it only took them a year to track me down.

Sending something back may make you feel better though.
Topic Author
djpeteski

Post by djpeteski »

Oh I like that.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

sc9182 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:00 am Heard a story that - someone mailed a heavy brick using their PrePaid envelope (with return address written on it). A couple of cycles later that unwanted mailer stopped sending such snail mails.

Sounds like urban legend.
https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 ... ail-brick/
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

djpeteski wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:05 pm
Oh I like that.
I wouldn’t recommend telling folks, even in jest, that you’re dead.

Years ago, my teenaged son got tired of getting “spam” phone calls for me on our land line. He told one of the callers that I was dead. After an awkward pause, the caller expressed his condolences and hung up.

About a month later, I had a couple of credit card charges declined. When I called the credit card company, they told me that they had heard that I was dead!

I don’t know how the information from the “spam” caller got to the credit card company. But I told my son to never again tell anyone that I was dead - or, at least, wait until I’m REALLY dead.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Stinky wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:45 pm
Oh I like that.

Years ago, my teenaged son got tired of getting “spam” phone calls for me on our land line. He told one of the callers that I was dead. After an awkward pause, the caller expressed his condolences and hung up.

About a month later, I had a couple of credit card charges declined. When I called the credit card company, they told me that they had heard that I was dead!

I don’t know how the information from the “spam” caller got to the credit card company. But I told my son to never again tell anyone that I was dead - or, at least, wait until I’m REALLY dead.
Yeah this is a terrible idea. There are surprisingly frequent news stories of people declared dead without their knowledge through typos, misunderstandings, spiteful former spouses, or scammers. For some the process to become "alive" again takes years if ever.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

Once a year we pay directly for a magazine.
But there is a scam, additionally for many years every few months we goet a letter from someone to pay subscription for that same magazine. Initially I paid not knowing better. Then I sent a note explaining, but it continued. So finally I had enough, cut up that bill and stuffed it into the envelope and sent it to that person. I repeated that for some years.
JD

Post by JD »

Too funny!
I used to get mail from this company on a regular basis but I just put it in the trash. This lasted for more than a year and then stopped.
Personally, this won't bother me a bit, I would just throw it in the trash and don't think much a bout it.
z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l »

I call the company to get off the list, that normally works fine. If it doesn't work I return to sender each piece that comes to me.
70% Global Stocks / 30% Bonds
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

Fisher Investments sends us expensive looking advertising on a regular basis. We just recycle it or pitch it in the trash without any response & yet it keeps coming. They certainly must make a bunch of $$$ off of their existing clients.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Purchase a bird. Send them photos of their correspondence at the bottom of its cage and ask them to send more as soon as possible.
BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet »

jmorgans wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:58 am One of my teachers growing up got his kicks from sending back empty “business reply mail” envelopes. Figured they’d maybe change their marketing tactics if they get stuck paying for enough postage.
For even more "fun", he could have taped the "business reply mail" envelope or postcard to a brick before mailing.
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

This reminds me of the famous "Shoe" comic strip by Jeff MacNelly. The old perfessor got tired of getting sweepstakes junk mail, so he marked it "Deceased" and return to sender and sent it back. Not long after, he got another sweepstakes letter saying that they had an offer for Mr. Deceased and the entire Deceased family.

Fast forward to 2021, Fischer investments has a special offer for Mr. and Mrs. Deceased but only if their liquid net worth is over $500,000! Their bulk mail packets are even larger and more annoying than Publisher Clearing House. I suppose Mr. Fischer might even come to your door with a camera crew.
A fool and his money are good for business.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

dukeblue219 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:56 pm
Stinky wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:45 pm
Oh I like that.

Yeah this is a terrible idea. There are surprisingly frequent news stories of people declared dead without their knowledge through typos, misunderstandings, spiteful former spouses, or scammers. For some the process to become "alive" again takes years if ever.
I have a family member that the IRS thinks has passed away. It was actually her husband, he passed away in 2018. IRS is confused but this family member still gets her Social Security payments each month. It has been three years and she still can't convince the IRS that she is still living. They did cash her check for taxes owed.
A fool and his money are good for business.
chris319

Post by chris319 »

In our West Hollywood, CA condominium building we have a mail room. There is a trash can in the mail room. All junk/advertising/marketing mail goes directly from my mailbox into the trash can. I don't even bother to bring it upstairs to my unit. No childish pranks like sending them a teabag or falsely claiming to be deceased, just toss it. Now is the Medicare open enrollment period and I'm getting endless junk junk mail selling Medicare plans.

I receive endless flyers from a business called "Closet World", a business which will come in and remake your closets. It is not lost on me that we are getting so much junk mail from "Closet World" in the gay ghetto of Los Angeles.
And they based their decisions entirely on hearsay. Remarkable. Time to switch credit-card companies.
Financial decisions based on emotion often turn out to be bad decisions.
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

DH just got a Fisher Investments mailer. I assumed they are targeting our zip code or a similar demographic marker.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

BuddyJet wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:15 pm For even more "fun", he could have taped the "business reply mail" envelope or postcard to a brick before mailing.
Guess you didn't see my post above so no.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

sc9182 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:00 am Heard a story that - someone mailed a heavy brick using their PrePaid envelope (with return address written on it). A couple of cycles later that unwanted mailer stopped sending such snail mails.

Urban legend.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

Not a good idea to incorrectly identify a person as 'deceased'.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

You might try this, don’t know if it applies to Fisher directly.
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/h ... -junk-mail
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

Are they the guys with the oversize envelopes?

There was some company...oversize envelope and a reply envelope inside. I sent it back with a (written loud) note that they were making me really annoyed because the envelopes didn't fit in my mailbox.

So far they haven't been back.
Cicero123

Post by Cicero123 »

I made the mistake of meeting with Fisher several years ago. I couldn’t understand what they were going to do for me— the guy kept drawing pictures of funnels with lines saying “stocks” “bond” “ other investments.” I guess he was saying they would evaluate everything you could possibly invest in, and narrow it down to what was appropriate for me. But I couldn’t get anything specific from them, so I passed. I kept getting the oversized envelopes every couple of years, until I finally took one and wrote with a large marker “Not interested—take me off your list” and sent it back in their pre-paid envelope. That got me off the list.

Related: until I got off the list, I would occasionally get a phone call from them, which I didn’t pick up, not recognizing the number. They would ask for a call back, not identifying themselves. I’d search the number and find it was Fisher. But the crummy thing, is that they would spoof the number to a degree. My cell has a Utah area code (801) so I would get these Fisher calls from a Utah number. Both Fisher and I are in Washington.
chris319

Post by chris319 »

Fill out the application with fake data and enclose a note saying "Please fund my account with the sum of $10,000, enclosed". Then put $10,000 worth of play money in the return envelope. It might tick them off and they will take you off their list. Or not.

Probably not worth the bother but it's a cute idea. :mrgreen:
Financial decisions based on emotion often turn out to be bad decisions.
Rex66

Post by Rex66 »

Just ignore it

As mentioned above no matter what you do, eventually you will pop back on their list.

The funny suggestions above could easily cause you a ton of problems.
wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds »

I know people are joking but sending brick or stack of fake bills via US Mail is not going to make you look good if federal authority decide to make you an example. I think the risk is not worth the chuckle that you might get if nothing goes wrong.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

wrongfunds wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:06 am I know people are joking but sending brick or stack of fake bills via US Mail is not going to make you look good if federal authority decide to make you an example. I think the risk is not worth the chuckle that you might get if nothing goes wrong.
You are 100% correct - postal inspectors have no sense of humor at all.
AF-Veteran

Post by AF-Veteran »

..... In the mailer, they congratulated me on "out saving my peers" and becoming "among the wealthiest" whatever and offered some very "valuable" reports for free if I respond right away. I have no idea how they got my information.

Thoughts?
Had the same thing happen to me a few years back. Pretty sure I tracked it down to a Kiplinger's magazine subscription I used to have. Noticed much of the snail mail letters (like Fisher Investment letters) started a few months or so after my subscription started. Did some research that showed unless you specifically opted out right up front via their Privacy Policy settings, they were selling their user data to all kind of third party marketing companies--who in-turn probably sell to it companies like Fisher. Kiplinger was purchased by another company (Dennis) a couple years ago, but they still provide their user data to a whole bunch of other companies.

https://www.dennis.co.uk/privacy-policy ... -data-with
MarkSpcr

Post by MarkSpcr »

My dad died in 2016. I'm getting mail for him from Fisher- writing deceased didn't stop- nothing stops it. Throw it in the trash & give a cheer that the USPS gets some money.