Keeping track of interest of long term investments

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
victorvvv

Keeping track of interest of long term investments

Post by victorvvv »

Hi there,

I am looking for solutions to keeping track of the performance of my portfolio. I try to keep most of my investments in one place (Vanguard) and I initially thought that it would be enough for me to use Vanguard's performance analysis tool to know how well I am doing throughout the years. But now that I've been investing for 3 years, I don't think it will work. Two events changed my mind:

1. When I changed jobs, I rolled over my 401k to my new employer's plan. On my previous employer's plan, I could see what percentage of my 401k was interest and what was from my contributions. When I rolled over, this information was lost and on my new plan, it just shows the entire amount as a contribution.
2. When I sold my ESPP and sent the money to my Vanguard account, there was no way for me to tell Vanguard what percentage from that was interest, which makes me want to use a tool outside of Vanguard for tracking my portfolio performance.

I image that scenarios like the above are pretty common, that is, situations where Vanguard is unable to keep track of what is interest / what is a contribution. I'd love to hear how you all solve this problem.

thanks a lot!