Joint Brokerage Account Online Access 2FA

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
wrongfunds

Joint Brokerage Account Online Access 2FA

Post by wrongfunds »

How is this supposed to be handled? The joint owners can share the username and password but for the VIP token (e.g. for ETrade account) only one phone can handle this. Is there a good way to log in to the joint account with two independent credentials and two different VIP token devices?
livesoft

Re: Joint Brokerage Account Online Access 2FA

Post by livesoft »

We don't use ETrade, but for our joint taxable accounts at other vendors, we have different login credentials. Why wouldn't you all have different login credentials for your joint account(s) at E*Trade? Each of us has our own 2FA (i.e. cell phone) that goes with our personal login, so why wouldn't E*trade offer that? If they don't, then switch brokers if it is that important to you.

That is, don't share your username and login password to your joint account with your joint accountholders.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds »

That seems like the most reasonable solution. The joint account owner should be able to see their own individual account and also the shared account using their own credential and own 2FA device. I wonder if I we could do this without involving customer service folks.

For the other user to create his login and link to the account(s), presumably there is some authentication which prevents say, wrongfund claming to be livesoft's joint owner :-)
Topic Author
wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds »

Needed customer service agent research of few hours before this was finally set up.