Crowdstreet

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
jazzcat73

Crowdstreet

Post by jazzcat73 »

I’m considering investing a small portion (<10%) of my portfolio into real estate opportunities on Crowdstreet. Motivation is diversification. I have a conventional 75/25 portfolio but a lot of my “bond” allocation currently in cash in taxable which I realize is not the smartest thing. So this is also a means to put the cash to more productive use.

Any experiences, good or bad, with Crowdstreet? Any advice on the investing process or thoughts on constructing a portfolio from the opportunities presented on Crowdstreet?
Last edited by jazzcat73 on Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viruz

Re: Crowdstreet

Post by viruz »

Following.

I have been evaluating crowdstreet too. But real RE investment and not their re portfolio. Tried pulling trigger twice but was slow and am on waitlist now.

Would be interested to know what the BH’ opinion and their personal experience. Always wonder if the irr shown on their website is really true and received.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

No experience.
Looks like a non-publicly traded REIT trying to masquerade like something "new" because it's soliciting through the Internet.
Not a fan as these types of things tend to be very risky, poor liquidity, poor disclosures especially around what sort of costs are involved and how the price is determined for what you're buying/selling it. I would buy a publicly traded REIT fund/ETF over something like that, and I would not consider it at all appropriate to compare to a cash/bond holding, more like stock/equity with the risks involved.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

jazzcat73 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:32 am but a lot of my “bond” allocation currently in cash in taxable which I realize is not the smartest thing.
I'd caution you about the potential tax consequences of holding a REIT investment in taxable.

Maybe asking Crowdstreet how dividends, etc. are reported at year end.

Regards,
If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. -George Orwell