Vanguard Q3 Dividends Info

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Thesaints

Vanguard Q3 Dividends Info

Post by Thesaints »

Has Vanguard published the ex-div dates and expected amounts anywhere ?
retiringwhen

Re: Vanguard Q3 Dividends Info

Post by retiringwhen »

They only appear to have published an annual calendar in January for 2021. See: https://advisors.vanguard.com/insights/ ... tributions

I have never seen quarterly distribution estimates outside the end of year estimates that start to trickle out late in October.
Topic Author
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

They always had a news release with the dates, didn't they ? Otherwise, how would we avoid buying dividends ?
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

In my fidelity app, perhaps your brokerage has one too, it shows me when the ex-div and payments days are for any upcoming payments for ETFs I own
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Thesaints wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:06 pm They always had a news release with the dates, didn't they ? Otherwise, how would we avoid buying dividends ?
Wait until they declare; it will be on their web site and you can generally see it then.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate »

I’m confused. The date info is found in the link in the second post. I don’t recall seeing advance estimated $ amounts except for the Q4 distributions. There is no more info until the declaration date.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

PaunchyPirate wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:56 pm I’m confused. The date info is found in the link in the second post. I don’t recall seeing advance estimated $ amounts except for the Q4 distributions. There is no more info until the declaration date.
Apparently so; I don't really look ahead with precision. The dividends are almost always the same date every year (plus/minus a day) and always show up in my account by the end of the month.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

I have a question, are the dates in the PDF file ( https://advisors.vanguard.com/insights/ ... tributions ) only accurate if you hold the funds at Vanguard? Looking at VWO as an example:

FTSE Emerging Markets ETF 922042858 VWO record:9/21/21 reinvestment/ex-div:9/20/21 payable:9/23/21

It is now 9/22, and in my Fidelity dashboard it shows ex-Div:9/20 payDate:9/23. I have DRIP turned on for this fund. I do not see any transaction on 9/20.

Is vanguard saying that the DRIP would be backdated to the price on 9/20, or that 9/20 was just the cutoff date for deciding whether to reinvest or not, and that the reinvestment would take place on 9/23? Thanks!
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

nalor511 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:08 pm I have a question, are the dates in the PDF file ( https://advisors.vanguard.com/insights/ ... tributions ) only accurate if you hold the funds at Vanguard? Looking at VWO as an example:

FTSE Emerging Markets ETF 922042858 VWO record:9/21/21 reinvestment/ex-div:9/20/21 payable:9/23/21

It is now 9/22, and in my Fidelity dashboard it shows ex-Div:9/20 payDate:9/23. I have DRIP turned on for this fund. I do not see any transaction on 9/20.

Is vanguard saying that the DRIP would be backdated to the price on 9/20, or that 9/20 was just the cutoff date for deviding whether to reinvest or not, and that the reinvestment would take place on 9/23? Thanks!
Those are the dates that Vanguard as the fund manager declares and pays the dividends. The reinvestment date (and the date that the funds show up in a 3rd party brokerage account is based upon the operating principles of the brokerage, so YMMV)

Heck, the dates for reinvestment within Vanguard brokerages are actually correct as the ledger date, but they don't usually show up in online reports until the next day.

There are way too many variables to give a "correct answer". All Vanguard (or any fund manager) can do is publish the official dates from the fund's perspective.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Ok. Q3 is my first quarter holding ETFs and also first quarter holding outside VG, so if anyone was doing those things for Q2 I would be curious which it was. Thanks
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

nalor511 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:08 pm I have a question, are the dates in the PDF file ( https://advisors.vanguard.com/insights/ ... tributions ) only accurate if you hold the funds at Vanguard? Looking at VWO as an example:

Is vanguard saying that the DRIP would be backdated to the price on 9/20, or that 9/20 was just the cutoff date for deciding whether to reinvest or not, and that the reinvestment would take place on 9/23? Thanks!
My understanding is that the dividend is actually issued on the payable date (so tomorrow for VWO).

The record date is the date you have to own the security to get that quarter's dividend.

If you buy a security on and after the ex div date, you won't get the dividend.

I received a dividend for VTIAX on 9/20 (Monday) and that is the payable date in the PDF. I hold this at Vanguard.

ETA: It's odd to me that the record date for VWO is the day after the ex div date. I thought record date was usually 1 business day before the ex div.
Walkure

Post by Walkure »

tashnewbie wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:25 pm

My understanding is that the dividend is actually issued on the payable date (so tomorrow for VWO).

The record date is the date you have to own the security to get that quarter's dividend.

I received a dividend for VTIAX on 9/20 (Monday) and that is the payable date in the PDF. I hold this at Vanguard.
Yes, but there is something very weird going on in that Vanguard list for some of the funds - the record date is the day after the ex-dividend date. I notice that it happens primarily with the international funds, maybe the settlement of D+2 means that a buy on the ex-div date would not be a shareholder of record until the day after the record date? Whereas for mutual fund share classes there is no such lag?
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

Walkure wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:32 pm
tashnewbie wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:25 pm

Yes, but there is something very weird going on in that Vanguard list for some of the funds - the record date is the day after the ex-dividend date. I notice that it happens primarily with the international funds, maybe the settlement of D+2 means that a buy on the ex-div date would not be a shareholder of record until the day after the record date? Whereas for mutual fund share classes there is no such lag?
Yeah, in my prior edit to my post, I noted that it is weird that record date for VWO is the day after the ex div date. No clue on my end why that is.
Topic Author
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

PaunchyPirate wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:56 pm I’m confused. The date info is found in the link in the second post. I don’t recall seeing advance estimated $ amounts except for the Q4 distributions. There is no more info until the declaration date.
The link is from the advisors website. Vanguard used to make a news release near the 10th of March, June, September, usually titled along the lines of "Don't buy a dividend !", with the record, ex-div, payable dates.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Confirmed from Q2, where I had a few ETF shares at Schwab. You get the reinvest price from the last column date (payable date) even though the dividend is issued (backdated) to the second column date (reinvest date), which makes zero sense to me, but probably makes little difference over the course of years