NASDAQ index fund

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
NostraHistoria

NASDAQ index fund

Post by NostraHistoria »

What are your thoughts about adding a NASDAQ index fund to a portfolio?
67% Bitcoin, 21% FZROX, 5% FZILX, 2% GLD, 5% individual stocks
alex_686

Re: NASDAQ index fund

Post by alex_686 »

First, why are you interested? Why do you think that index is a good fit for your goals and risk tolerance?

But overall, pretty poor. The index construction and methodology is pretty poor. Select a random collection of largish non-bank stocks. Why?

It made more sense 30 years ago when NASDAQ was literally a 3rd rate exchange. The only reason why a company would list on NASDAQ was because they were so new, small, and rickety that they couldn't qualify for a 2nd rate exchange like AMEX. i.e., tech start ups.

This is no longer true. Rickety companies which have a uneven history of profits can now list on the top tier NYSE now that the listing requirements are basically harmonized between the 2.
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

It's a good idea. However, I'm not aware of ETFs tracking NASDAQ. The funds like QQQ track NASDAQ-100, only the biggest companies in NASDAQ.
Topic Author
NostraHistoria

Post by NostraHistoria »

67% Bitcoin, 21% FZROX, 5% FZILX, 2% GLD, 5% individual stocks
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

My thoughts are that I would not do this.
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

NostraHistoria wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:34 pm What are your thoughts about adding a NASDAQ index fund to a portfolio?
This doesn't seem necessary to me, especially if you hold a total stock market fund.

Dividing up stocks by which exchange they trade on is one way to go, but then to get full US market exposure, you'd have to buy a NYSE Composite Index Fund and any other funds that represent the other major stock exchanges.

Using a total market fund will include the stocks of the NASDAQ, the NYSE, etc., all in one fund.

Regards,
If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. -George Orwell
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

My thoughts are that you are chasing performance and this is a bad idea.