UTMA Taxable Custodial Account for Child Transferred to 529?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Mattyman

UTMA Taxable Custodial Account for Child Transferred to 529?

Post by Mattyman »

Novice investor looking for assistance...When my wife's grandfather passed away, we inherited a small amount for my wife and son. When they set things up for my son, it was put into a taxable Custodial Account in wells Fargo, with my wife being the custodian. The current account value is approximately $20.6k with about $6.5k in unrealized growth. The account is made up of many individual stocks, which I am not a fan. My wife and I both invest through Vanguard utilizing their low cost index funds.

Would it be best for us to transfer this account into a Vanguard 529 for tax purposes with a low expense ratio index fund for simplicity purposes? I'm assuming we would basically have to sell the assets in the current taxable account and pay capital gains on the $6.5k and then transfer the funds into a new vanguard 529? Is there a better way to handle this situation to avoid a tax hit and is the 529 the best option in this situation? (As a note, the executor to the estate did open a 529 for him with some other funds, which I believe was around $3k. I have to find the paperwork indicating who it was through but I plan to move this into Vanguard as well.)