Vanguard not responsive [answering phone calls]

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
vbdoug

Vanguard not responsive [answering phone calls]

Post by vbdoug »

I called Vanguard today at 3:00 p.m. PST and the automated response offered a call back in more than 30 minutes. As of 5:30 p.m. I had not received a call back and now they are closed. Has their response times become that bad?
jebmke

Re: Vanguard not responsive

Post by jebmke »

"more than 30 minutes" is a long time.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Topic Author
vbdoug

Post by vbdoug »

I was resigned to the "more than 30 minutes". My complaint is the non-response for more than 2 hours, or in this case, never.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I don't think Vanguard wants to talk to its customers on the phone.
L84SUPR

Post by L84SUPR »

I just call and sit on hold until they pick up. Last time I was on hold over an hour. They picked up about 15 minutes before closing but stayed on as long as I needed them and they were very helpful. That was last Friday evening.
Last edited by L84SUPR on Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1/3rd VTWAX, 1/3rd Wellington, 1/3rd G Fund | All models are wrong. Some are useful.
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:07 pm I don't think Vanguard wants to talk to its customers on the phone.
That's not entirely true. The DW got a call from Vanguard today. She had been trading email with a representative and he was following up.

Regards,
If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. -George Orwell
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

When we were doing some ownership changes last week our Flagship rep advised us to call as close to 8am eastern time as possible. So, being on the west coast, we were up at 4:45 am ! After being retired for nearly 15 years, we aren’t accustomed to getting up at 0-dark-thirty. But we didn’t have to wait more than a minute. :sharebeer
Red Zebra

Post by Red Zebra »

My wife recently had a very poor experience calling Vanguard later in the day regarding an IRA transfer. Very long hold times with no answer over a long period of days. When she called in the morning she had a much better experience with getting someone on the phone, at least. There was also great variability with the quality of feedback she received, depending upon which person fielded her call. The last person, when there was a real time crunch due to the problems getting any anyone on the phone, actually went above and beyond in helping. So, she had a mixed experience.
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

retired@50 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:14 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:07 pm I don't think Vanguard wants to talk to its customers on the phone.
That's not entirely true. The DW got a call from Vanguard today. She had been trading email with a representative and he was following up.

Regards,
Assuming you are flagship, then...
vbdoug wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:35 pm I called Vanguard today at 3:00 p.m. PST and the automated response offered a call back in more than 30 minutes. As of 5:30 p.m. I had not received a call back and now they are closed. Has their response times become that bad?
Can you send a secure message?
Savermom

Post by Savermom »

Deleted
ctvader

Post by ctvader »

I had the same experience expressed above. Long hold times, call backs hours later, etc. However, when I did speak to a rep, they were helpful, intelligent and offered to above and beyond to make me happy. All my calls were re IRA xfers from a FA.

One rep did mention they have been super busy over the 5 mos and suggested calling first thing (as someone else noted above) and to NOT call on a Monday or Friday, as those tend to be their busiest days.
Djtjak

Post by Djtjak »

I got a letter in the mail from my Vanguard Flagship rep mentioning an account I did not recognize. I called the number shown on the letter and was told the number was wrong and to call a different number . Then my bad experience began trying to get to my Flagship rep. After 15 minutes of being bounced around I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told that would take 24 to 48 hours. I then simply asked to be transferred to my reps voicemail and I was told she couldn't transfer me and I needed an appointment to leave a voicemail. What? an appointment to leave a voicemail??? :oops: I then sent a blistering email to my rep who returned my call at 5:30 PM with a direct number where I can reach him. The number works, I tested it. There is no doubt in mind that Vanguard services are declining.
GerryL

Re: Vanguard not responsive [answering phone calls]

Post by GerryL »

Earlier this week I needed to call Vanguard to ask a question about putting accounts in a trust. I called the Flagship number on my account. (My personal rep disappeared a couple of years ago, never to be replaced.) On hold for a full hour. No option for a callback.

I asked the guy who finally picked up my call whether this was now normal for Flagship clients. He seemed surprised to hear that I had waited so long. He gave me a different number to call if I have any additional questions when I am ready to re-register the account.

While I was on hold, I also wrote up my question (prefaced with a comment that I was on hold waiting to talk to someone) and sent that off to Vanguard. Got an answer -- the same answer -- from a different person the next day.

The number you originally dial and the option you select perhaps have something to do with how long it takes to get to a real person -- and whether they tell you that you need to call a different number. (Last week I was on hold for three full hours with a different, non-financial company only to get that result.)
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

Oh but you can just send them a secure mess... oh, wait :twisted:
markes

Post by markes »

I spent a fair share of Friday afternoon on hold with the Vanguard transfer account division.. The first time (after holding for 45 minutes), I was suddenly disconnected. The second time, after an hour, I gave up. The third time I accepted the option of a call back (should have done that the first time). I received an automated call back about 90 minutes later (with a subsequent 15 minute wait). I've been with Vanguard for over 30 years. The first ten or so, the customer service was exemplary. From that point on, IMO in a rather steady decline.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

I hate using the phone. Live chat is where it's at, with secure messaging as a fallback. Vanguard doesn't have those options. Schwab, Fidelity, or any other modern broker. If you're using MFs, convert them to ETF before you transfer for more flexibility later (and lower ER to boot). You can get a couple thousand $ as a transfer bonus if that's your thing.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

nalor511 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:56 pm I hate using the phone. Live chat is where it's at, with secure messaging as a fallback. Vanguard doesn't have those options. Schwab, Fidelity, or any other modern broker. If you're using MFs, convert them to ETF before you transfer for more flexibility later (and lower ER to boot). You can get a couple thousand $ as a transfer bonus if that's your thing.
But, but, but.... Vanguard won't let you convert your mutual funds to ETFs online, so you have to endure the torture of waiting for a live rep to answer the phone even to do that.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:33 pm
nalor511 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:56 pm I hate using the phone. Live chat is where it's at, with secure messaging as a fallback. Vanguard doesn't have those options. Schwab, Fidelity, or any other modern broker. If you're using MFs, convert them to ETF before you transfer for more flexibility later (and lower ER to boot). You can get a couple thousand $ as a transfer bonus if that's your thing.
But, but, but.... Vanguard won't let you convert your mutual funds to ETFs online, so you have to endure the torture of waiting for a live rep to answer the phone even to do that.
So true. And that kept me from doing it for a long time. But at least you only have to do it once, then goodbye
StevieG72

Re: Vanguard not responsive [answering phone ]

Post by StevieG72 »

I had to call yesterday around 3pm eastern time to make a trade, did not have access to my computer. Was on hold about 20 minutes. Not ideal, but was able to get the trade in prior to 4pm market close.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
DrCheese

Post by DrCheese »

Gnirk wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:45 am When we were doing some ownership changes last week our Flagship rep advised us to call as close to 8am eastern time as possible. So, being on the west coast, we were up at 4:45 am ! After being retired for nearly 15 years, we aren’t accustomed to getting up at 0-dark-thirty. But we didn’t have to wait more than a minute. :sharebeer
When you have to adjust your schedule to get service, it is time to leave that company.
Concept

Post by Concept »

It’s really unfortunate that an institution like vanguard has a completely unacceptable problem such as being unable to reach people on the phone in a reasonable amount of time during business hours.

Some people are so invested with their banks and brokerages that they’ll put up with it or accept it as normal business practice, but it’s not.

I recently left Citibank after 10 years for this very same problem, switching fully to Schwab, and 10-15 minutes on the phone and I’m talking to an American about the issue I have.

Same goes for fidelity.

I wouldn’t be surprised if you call vanguard in the future and you’re getting a call center in the Philippines trying to assist you with your retirement portfolio.
JohnFiscal
Location: US citizen now retired in Canada. Subject to income tax in both.

Post by JohnFiscal »

retired@50 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:14 pm

Regards,
Agreed. I called 2-3 months back about an unusual issue. I got a follow-up call a few days later with more info. Appreciated
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

One question pops into in my mind when I read the numerous posts in the last year about the poor Vanguard telephone service. Is this lack of service at all levels (based on invested amounts)? For example is it happening at Flagship level, Voyager level, or less than Voyager level? I have not had any reason to call Vanguard in the past three years, but I sure would be miffed if it took as long as some clients have posted. I have never seen any reference to what level the customers calling are at. Not that it should matter, but just maybe Vanguard is ignoring the smaller account holders. :annoyed :annoyed
Tom D.
Dick D

Post by Dick D »

I never had a problem contacting them as Voyager Select or as Flagship. Prior to those levels, I never had a need to contact them.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

tomd37 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:27 pm One question pops into in my mind when I read the numerous posts in the last year about the poor Vanguard telephone service. Is this lack of service at all levels (based on invested amounts)? For example is it happening at Flagship level, Voyager level, or less than Voyager level? I have not had any reason to call Vanguard in the past three years, but I sure would be miffed if it took as long as some clients have posted. I have never seen any reference to what level the customers calling are at. Not that it should matter, but just maybe Vanguard is ignoring the smaller account holders. :annoyed :annoyed
Fidelity And Schwab have live chat at all amounts invested, for all customers
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

This thread has an anecdote I've seen in other threads:
He seemed surprised to hear that I had waited so long.
The reps always seem to feign surprise when the customers have feedback on the communication process. I wonder if it is part of training. Many places train their reps to never say "I'm sorry." I wonder if that is going on at VG too.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Maybe they never try to call themselves.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Tubes wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:59 am This thread has an anecdote I've seen in other threads:
He seemed surprised to hear that I had waited so long.
The reps always seem to feign surprise when the customers have feedback on the communication process. I wonder if it is part of training. Many places train their reps to never say "I'm sorry." I wonder if that is going on at VG too.
I had the opposite when I had to call Vanguard a few weeks ago (not possible to do what needed to be done online). The rep who answered said "I can transfer you but I don't know how long the hold time will be." I said "understood, that's fine" and the next rep picked up immediately.
JD

Post by JD »

I have't had any issue with Vanguard, but I rarely use the phone. If I have a question, I usually send an email. Vanguard, always replies to the emails.
I advice my kids/friends to minimize phone conversation with financial institution including Vanguard because of misunderstanding, and other factors. The best way and the safest, imo, is to have your correspondence with these institution (Vanguard included) via email.
lws

Post by lws »

I do not use the phone if avoidable.
Ally for banking and investments solved my communication problems.
They have live chat and secure messaging.
Told them not to call me and they do not.
They even accepted my durable power attorney by secure messaging.
Most entities will not do this.
Getting Vanguard ETFs at Ally is good.
JD

Post by JD »

As I previously mentioned; I don't pick up the phone to speak with any financial institutions, but I have to tell you that I was contacted by Vanguard via email a few days ago. The email Indicated below:

["Recently, Vanguard received a request from you. That request was missing certain key information that would allow us to process it for you. Please contact us within four business days at 800-562-1368 Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 8:00 pm..."]

I contacted Vanguard and the usual message instructed me to either wait or provide the call back and Vanguard will call within 7 to 10 minutes. I chose the second option. Within exactly 7 minutes, Vanguard called back and I went with the representative over a few things.

I hated to sound like I am advertising for Vanguard but I just want to let the OP knows of my latest experience on the phone with Vanguard.
Will the next call be the same? I have no idea and am not planning to initiate any call to Vanguard or to my local bank.
Hope this of any value to someone,
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Increasingly it's clear they don't particularly care to have retail customers at all, unless they're paying for VPAS.
Topic Author
vbdoug

Post by vbdoug »

Funny how things work out. When I posted this Friday I believed the 2 1/2 hour no-call-back was a fluke. I am sorry to hear so many people have been having problems with Vanguard. I called them today at 1:55 p.m. PST and got a different recording that stated that Monday was their busiest day and it would be advisable for me to call at a different time. I stayed on the line and was not given the call back option. One minute later a very efficient agent resolved my issue. Go figure.
Last edited by vbdoug on Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sg1223

Post by sg1223 »

I was intending to start a topic such as this but it looks like I was beaten to the punch....and not alone.

I am trying to open a new account with Vanguard; my very first account actually. I am doing the application online, but after about the 4th or 5th step (right after I sign the consent form) , an error message pops up. I've tried various computers and browsers; same issue. I am prompted to give them a call, which I did.

A recording popped up saying that there was longer than a 30 minute hold and asked if I'd like for them to call me back in over 30 minutes. I chose that option, and about 45 minutes later, I had 3 missed calls (I got very busy and couldn't pick up) .

Tried calling the next day, same recording, same option. Chose it. This time, it was about an hour later in which I received a call. I was available and spoke to a representative. The rep was extremely nice, and apologetic. Apparently, there is a glitch in the coding of the site which is why the application process messes up. He said the team is working on it, but no timetable...it could take days, weeks even. He said the phone lines are SLAMMED from this, and this is one of the reasons why it's been hard to get through lately. The rep was also telling me how the pandemic has kind of messed up the customer service dept/tech department. We had a very enjoyable conversation overall (some off topic financial talk actually! ) and it ended up being one of the most pleasant customer service conversations I had, even with not being able to apply. He offered to send a paper application to my address, but I told him I'm in no rush and I'll keep checking online. That was last Tuesday, and the issue purists.

Normally, this would turn me off...I literally can't apply online!...but I still plan to join Vanguard.

So, tl;dr: you can't open an account online with Vanguard at the moment; the tech issues with the site/pandemic has messed up their customer service and tech dept
JD

Post by JD »

sg1223 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:15 pm I was intending to start a topic such as this but it looks like I was beaten to the punch....and not alone.

I am trying to open a new account with Vanguard; my very first account actually. I am doing the application online, but after about the 4th or 5th step (right after I sign the consent form) , an error message pops up. I've tried various computers and browsers; same issue. I am prompted to give them a call, which I did.

A recording popped up saying that there was longer than a 30 minute hold and asked if I'd like for them to call me back in over 30 minutes. I chose that option, and about 45 minutes later, I had 3 missed calls (I got very busy and couldn't pick up) .

Tried calling the next day, same recording, same option. Chose it. This time, it was about an hour later in which I received a call. I was available and spoke to a representative. The rep was extremely nice, and apologetic. Apparently, there is a glitch in the coding of the site which is why the application process messes up. He said the team is working on it, but no timetable...it could take days, weeks even. He said the phone lines are SLAMMED from this, and this is one of the reasons why it's been hard to get through lately. The rep was also telling me how the pandemic has kind of messed up the customer service dept/tech department. We had a very enjoyable conversation overall (some off topic financial talk actually! ) and it ended up being one of the most pleasant customer service conversations I had, even with not being able to apply. He offered to send a paper application to my address, but I told him I'm in no rush and I'll keep checking online. That was last Tuesday, and the issue purists.

Normally, this would turn me off...I literally can't apply online!...but I still plan to join Vanguard.

So, tl;dr: you can't open an account online with Vanguard at the moment; the tech issues with the site/pandemic has messed up their customer service and tech dept
Interesting! I would just print out the application fill it out and send to Vanguard;
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

JD wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:46 pm
sg1223 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:15 pm I was intending to start a topic such as this but it looks like I was beaten to the punch....and not alone.

Interesting! I would just print out the application fill it out and send to Vanguard;
I would do an online application at fidelity
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

I want to share my experience today. Note: I am Flagship and called the number I see on my home page.

Total hold time was 15 seconds. The young man who answered my call was knowledgeable and took care of my issue.

It appears maybe things are calming down? This thread and the other big VG customer service thread have been quiet lately. I'm hoping things are getting better. Or maybe you are SOL if you don't call the Flagship number (quite possible).

The reason I called was to clean up some IRA stuff in preparation for possible changes of law. I suspect if Congress does change the conversion rules on Roths with the 12/31/21 deadline, the phone lines everywhere may get really hot later this year.

Oh, I also called Fidelity for my 401k. I was on hold for 5 minutes there. The agent I spoke to was outstanding. I was impressed.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Threads have calmed down because they are being locked, not because anything has changed :twisted:
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Made me peek. My Voyager Select account is still showing "compose" and "send" as available in the Message function.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
grobertj

Post by grobertj »

I've formally complained on several occasions about Vanguard's responsiveness. There's no chance I can speak to my Flagship rep unless I schedule an appointment. Several agents tell me that they are very understaffed and are trying to hire more people. I'm sure there's a lot of training involved so I hope their responsiveness improves.
The only constant is CHANGE!!
drgenefish

Post by drgenefish »

I called Vanguard today at 4:30 pm (thursday) with a complete list of beginner questions. I waited under 90 seconds and the guy spent 25 minutes on the phone with me answering questions and walking me through where to click for things to make sure I got everything correctly.

I've had to call them like 2x a year for something or other. I can't remember one time waiting long or not getting my call expertly handled.

Not discounting your experience. I'd be frustrated too if I didn't get my call answered. (and tbh I'd be a little scared of leaving my money there). hopefully it was just a bad day they were having. you never know when a bunch of people call out or something and they are swamped with calls. hope they fix your issue fast.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

grobertj wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:02 pm I've formally complained on several occasions about Vanguard's responsiveness. There's no chance I can speak to my Flagship rep unless I schedule an appointment. Several agents tell me that they are very understaffed and are trying to hire more people. I'm sure there's a lot of training involved so I hope their responsiveness improves.
You still have a Flagship rep?!?
Mine left "temporarily" several years ago and has never been replaced.
bltn

Post by bltn »

My first call to my Vanguard rep in the last two years was made about two weeks ago around 8:30 one morning. I left a message for him to call me when convenient. He returned my call about 11:00 and we discussed several things regarding my account and some estate planning changes I m making. And we discussed his new daughter and my new granddaughter. I m afraid I contributed to their shorthanded problem as he was very free with his time.

Every time I read anther thread complaining about Vanguard s service, I think about the days before Vanguard offered their low cost alternative. Mutual fund stock investments were expensive. Remember 7.5% front end loads. And 1.5-2.0 % yearly maintenance fees. And what became the elegant idea of market indexing was sacrilege .

Vanguard has been responsible for a significant portion of my financial accumulation. I think I ll stay the course.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

grobertj wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:02 pm I've formally complained on several occasions about Vanguard's responsiveness. There's no chance I can speak to my Flagship rep unless I schedule an appointment. Several agents tell me that they are very understaffed and are trying to hire more people. I'm sure there's a lot of training involved so I hope their responsiveness improves.
Like many others, I used to have a Flagship rep, but no more. I am Flagship - just no rep.

My call was also around 4pm on a Thursday, similar to drgenefish's call. Maybe that's the key. No Mondays. No Fridays. Not at breakfast, lunch or dinner?

I dunno. It is a bit of a mystery.

My call was to rollover my IRA into a Fidelity sponsored 401k. Even though it was a roll-out, he was good.

All this said, I'm not adding to my VG assets. If anything, I'm going to consolidate all my retirement accounts at Fidelity.