I have a Vanguard specific question about setting up an inheritance trust

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
swampwiz

I have a Vanguard specific question about setting up an inheritance trust

Post by swampwiz »

This is not for me, but rather my relatives, who I think are going to want to stay with Vanguard as the brokerage (I'm putting my part to my current broker, TD, but the decedent was a Boglehead, and hence liquid assets are there). My broker allows for a trust that is coded as "inheritance", and the only tranches that will be going in with be from the succession and the sale of the house that is part of the succession, and such that I can do with it as I please, such as to direct investments and bleed off for consumption, etc. I live in a community property state (I am currently unmarried), so obviously this an important distinction as I would be able to declare it as "not mingled" with any possible future community assets. I think it also makes things easier for things in general.

In any case, my relatives are greenhorns with finances, so I will need to be their advocate, and thus know what Vanguard can offer that could be of some use.