Starting over

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
OIFCIB101

Starting over

Post by OIFCIB101 »

Hello all,

Looking for some guidance on how I should proceed financially. Currently in the process of settling a divorce that will have cost me about $90,000. No children/alimony. I end up using most of my savings/457 to settle the divorce, so I’m starting over. Any advice is appreciated.

Current stats:
State:New Hampshire
Emergency Fund: $24,000
Annual salary: $63,921.00
Annual VA Disability Compensation: $20,152.20
Debt: $192,962 mortgage 30-year loan at 2.25% for a house valued between 406,000 to 450,000.
Debt: $2,000 credit cards

I’m a state employee and will be eligible to start collecting from a defined benefit plan at age 61 in October 2045.

Currently contributing 7% per paycheck to the state retirement plan and 23% per paycheck to the 457 plan (no matching). Both contributions are pre-tax.

457 plan currently: $5000

Currently investments:
49.26% Vanguard Institutional Index I
24.2% Dodge & Cox Income Fund
11.8% Vanguard Small Cap Index Instl
9.68% Vanguard Total Intl Stock Index Admiral
5.06% Vanguard Mid Cap Index Ins

Listed below are the investment options I have:

T. Rowe Price Retirement I 2010 I Asset Allocation
T. Rowe Price Retirement I 2015 I Asset Allocation
T. Rowe Price Retirement I 2020 I Asset Allocation
T. Rowe Price Retirement I 2025 I Asset Allocation
T. Rowe Price Retirement I 2030 I Asset Allocation
T. Rowe Price Retirement I 2035 I Asset Allocation
T. Rowe Price Retirement I 2040 I Asset Allocation
T. Rowe Price Retirement I 2045 I Asset Allocation
T. Rowe Price Retirement I 2050 I Asset Allocation
T. Rowe Price Retirement I 2055 I Asset Allocation
American Funds Capital World G/I R6 International
MFS International Diversification R4 International
Vanguard Total Intl Stock Index Admiral International
Goldman Sachs Small Cp Val Insghts Inv Small Cap
Janus Henderson Venture N Small Cap
Vanguard Small Cap Index Instl Small Cap
American Century Mid Cap Value R6 Mid Cap
BlackRock Mid-Cap Growth Equity Instl Mid Cap
Vanguard Mid Cap Index Ins Mid Cap
ClearBridge Large Cap Growth IS Large Cap
Fidelity Contrafund Large Cap
JPMorgan Equity Income R6 Large Cap
Vanguard Dividend Growth Inv Large Cap
Vanguard Institutional Index I Large Cap
American Funds American Balanced R6 Balanced
Pax Sustainable Allocation Inv Balanced
Dodge & Cox Income Fund Bond
New Hampshire Stable Value Fund Fixed
TD Ameritrade SDB Sweep Program Brokerage
TD Ameritrade SDB Securities Brokerage
TD Ameritrade SDB Sweep Program Roth Brokerage
TD Ameritrade SDB Securities Roth Brokerage
Transamerica Assurance Company
calwatch

Re: Starting over

Post by calwatch »

I assume this is a clean break and so the ex has no future claims on pensions? How likely are you to stay with the state or in positions with pension reciprocity, and do you pay into Social Security?

Unless that credit card is at 0% interest I wouldn’t hesitate to pay it off. The allocation seems fine, maybe a bit conservative if you think you are getting the pension, especially since you receiving a VA payment now (thank you for your service). International could be higher but that is a matter of personal preference as debated on this forum. Large cap vs small and medium seems to be held in the proportions of the actual market and no total market fund is available.
delamer

Post by delamer »

What are your current total annual expenses, including taxes?

With the future pension plus your VA compensation, how much do you expect to need from your portfolio in retirement?
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

You didn't list the expense ratios of the funds in your 457, but they seem ok.

I think you should start using some Roth contributions - either to Roth IRA (you are under the limit) or to Roth 457 (if that is an option in your plan). Or maybe some of each.

With an expected pension, you will not need as large tax-deferred balance in your retirement as people without a pension. If you have both a pension and SS coming, that argues even more for Rothness now.

If you decide not to stay for the pension, whatever you have contributed to the pension will be returned to you in the form of tax-deferred dollars which you can roll into an IRA...giving you a nice tax-deferred balance if you end up without the pension.

With your current salary, putting some savings into Roth will not push you into a higher tax bracket.

My loose suggestion is to put half (or more) of your retirement savings into Roth and half (or less) into tax-deferral.
Topic Author
OIFCIB101

Post by OIFCIB101 »

calwatch wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:11 pm I assume this is a clean break and so the ex has no future claims on pensions? How likely are you to stay with the state or in positions with pension reciprocity, and do you pay into Social Security?

Unless that credit card is at 0% interest I wouldn’t hesitate to pay it off. The allocation seems fine, maybe a bit conservative if you think you are getting the pension, especially since you receiving a VA payment now (thank you for your service). International could be higher but that is a matter of personal preference as debated on this forum. Large cap vs small and medium seems to be held in the proportions of the actual market and no total market fund is available.
Yes, the ex has no claim to the pension. I'm most likely going to stay with the state unless I decide to pursue a federal position in the future. I pay into social security.
delamer wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:16 pm What are your current total annual expenses, including taxes?

With the future pension plus your VA compensation, how much do you expect to need from your portfolio in retirement?
I would say my current expenses average around $30,000 annually for mortgage, property taxes, utilities, groceries, and misc expenses. I think I would probably need around $60,000 annually to live comfortably and do stuff like traveling.
Last edited by OIFCIB101 on Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watty

Post by Watty »

What are the expense rations of the target date funds, like the 2045 fund, in your 457? If it has a decent expense ratio then it might be a lot easier to use that.

I would also look at starting up a car fund to help pay for a replacement car, especially if you need an expensive conversion for your disability.
OIFCIB101 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:02 pm Annual salary: $63,921.00
Currently contributing 7% per paycheck to the state retirement plan and 23% per paycheck to the 457 plan (no matching). Both contributions are pre-tax.
Is the VA disability taxable income? What tax bracket are you in, including your state taxes?

If the VA disability is not taxable and you are saving 30% of your income then I would think you would be in a pretty low tax bracket since you would also get a standard deduction. If you are in the 12% tax bracket then it would be worth considering if using a Roth for part of your retirement savings would make sense. There is a wiki on this choice.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Traditional_versus_Roth

In addition to not knowing the future one of the reasons that people have a hard time which is best is that for most people it makes sense to have a mixture of account types when they retire so that they have more flexibility to handle years when they have large expenses. You might want to target having something like 10 or 20 percent of your retirement savings in Roth accounts if you can put money into them when you are in the 12% federal tax bracket.

One advantage of a Roth accounts is that you can take your contributions, but not earnings, out of them if you need to and not have to pay a penalty. Some people even use them for an emergency fund.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Roth_IR ... gency_fund

If you are eligible for a Roth and would not otherwise be using it then you might move some of your emergency money into the Roth each year.
Topic Author
OIFCIB101

Post by OIFCIB101 »

Watty wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:41 pm What are the expense rations of the target date funds, like the 2045 fund, in your 457? If it has a decent expense ratio then it might be a lot easier to use that.

I would also look at starting up a car fund to help pay for a replacement car, especially if you need an expensive conversion for your disability.
OIFCIB101 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:02 pm Annual salary: $63,921.00
Is the VA disability taxable income? What tax bracket are you in, including your state taxes?

If the VA disability is not taxable and you are saving 30% of your income then I would think you would be in a pretty low tax bracket since you would also get a standard deduction. If you are in the 12% tax bracket then it would be worth considering if using a Roth for part of your retirement savings would make sense. There is a wiki on this choice.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Traditional_versus_Roth

In addition to not knowing the future one of the reasons that people have a hard time which is best is that for most people it makes sense to have a mixture of account types when they retire so that they have more flexibility to handle years when they have large expenses. You might want to target having something like 10 or 20 percent of your retirement savings in Roth accounts if you can put money into them when you are in the 12% federal tax bracket.

One advantage of a Roth accounts is that you can take your contributions, but not earnings, out of them if you need to and not have to pay a penalty. Some people even use them for an emergency fund.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Roth_IR ... gency_fund

If you are eligible for a Roth and would not otherwise be using it then you might move some of your emergency money into the Roth each year.
VA Disability is not taxable income. New Hampshire doesn't have a state income tax. I fall within the 22% federal tax bracket rate when I was married and filed jointly. I will be filing under the single rate next year.
Last edited by OIFCIB101 on Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

P.S. Pay off the credit card debt and don't let it build up again.
delamer

Post by delamer »

OIFCIB101 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:40 pm
calwatch wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:11 pm I assume this is a clean break and so the ex has no future claims on pensions? How likely are you to stay with the state or in positions with pension reciprocity, and do you pay into Social Security?

Yes, the ex has no claim to the pension. I'm most likely going to stay with the state unless I decide to pursue a federal position in the future. I pay into social security.
delamer wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:16 pm What are your current total annual expenses, including taxes?

I would say my current expenses average around $30,000 annually for mortgage, property taxes, utilities, groceries, and misc expenses. I think I would probably need around $60,000 annually to live comfortably and do stuff like traveling.
With $20,000 from the VA, you’d need $40,000 from your pension and portfolio withdrawals.

If the pension will be another $20,000, the you are down to $20,000 from your portfolio.

Obviously, I don’t know how close I am with the pension. But my guess is that you won’t need a big nest egg to cover your residual expenses (total expenses minus VA $ minus pension).
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
Topic Author
OIFCIB101

Post by OIFCIB101 »

delamer wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:03 pm

With $20,000 from the VA, you’d need $40,000 from your pension and portfolio withdrawals.

If the pension will be another $20,000, the you are down to $20,000 from your portfolio.

Obviously, I don’t know how close I am with the pension. But my guess is that you won’t need a big nest egg to cover your residual expenses (total expenses minus VA $ minus pension).
At this time, I'm expecting my state pension to be at least $36,000 annually.
Topic Author
OIFCIB101

Post by OIFCIB101 »

So would it be best to decrease the amount I have invested in the Dodge & Cox Income Fund and invest more in the below international options if I want to be more aggressive?

My Currently investments:
Colorado Guy

Post by Colorado Guy »

Just a word of caution...
calwatch wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:11 pm I assume this is a clean break and so the ex has no future claims on pensions?
Yes, the ex has no claim to the pension.
Unless your signed agreement includes the specific stipulation that she cannot claim any of your pension in the future, it is still an open issue. In my case we had a legal agreement of cash up front in exchange for any claim on the future pension.

This is survivable.
Best advice: No rebound relationships.
delamer

Post by delamer »

OIFCIB101 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:08 pm
delamer wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:03 pm

At this time, I'm expecting my state pension to be at least $36,000 annually.
So you’ve nearly covered your future expenses with VA plus pension.

If you prefer to be conservative with your investments, you can do so.

Alternately, if you prefer to be aggressive with your investments, you can do so.

It’s a good position to be in. Yes, reduce the income fund percentage if you want to be more aggressive.
Watty

Post by Watty »

OIFCIB101 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:46 pm I fall within the 22% federal tax bracket rate when I was married and filed jointly. I will be filing under the single rate next year.
For 2021 the top of the single 12% tax bracket is $40,525 and the standard deduction is $12,550 so you would need $63,075 $53,075 in taxable income to get into the 22% federal tax bracket.

https://obliviousinvestor.com/2021-tax-brackets/
delamer wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:03 pm But my guess is that you won’t need a big nest egg to cover your residual expenses (total expenses minus VA $ minus pension).
Also minus Social Security and if the house is paid off by then you would also not have a mortgage payment.
Last edited by Watty on Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

OIFCIB101 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:17 pm So would it be best to decrease the amount I have invested in the Dodge & Cox Income Fund and invest more in the below international options if I want to be more aggressive?

No. The funds you have now are fine. There is nothing in the other two funds you mentioned that can improve this portfolio, but they will increase the cost.

You are overweighted in mid and small cap. If you want more international, use more of the Vanguard international fund and less of the mid cap and small cap.
delamer

Post by delamer »

Watty wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:28 pm
OIFCIB101 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:46 pm I fall within the 22% federal tax bracket rate when I was married and filed jointly. I will be filing under the single rate next year.
For 2021 the top of the single 12% tax bracket is $40,525 and the standard deduction is $12,550 so you would need $63,075 in taxable income to get into the 22% federal tax bracket.

https://obliviousinvestor.com/2021-tax-brackets/
delamer wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:03 pm But my guess is that you won’t need a big nest egg to cover your residual expenses (total expenses minus VA $ minus pension).
Also minus Social Security and if the house is paid off by then you would also not have a mortgage payment.
Probably minimal Social Security given the 7% pension contribution, but that might not be the case.
Topic Author
OIFCIB101

Post by OIFCIB101 »

retiredjg wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:31 pm
OIFCIB101 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:17 pm So would it be best to decrease the amount I have invested in the Dodge & Cox Income Fund and invest more in the below international options if I want to be more aggressive?

No. The funds you have now are fine. There is nothing in the other two funds you mentioned that can improve this portfolio, but they will increase the cost.

You are overweighted in mid and small cap. If you want more international, use more of the Vanguard international fund and less of the mid cap and small cap.
What would you say is the proper balance? Increase another 10% in the Vanguard International Fund and decrease the mid cap and small caps?
wetgear

Post by wetgear »

OIFCIB101 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:17 pm

So would it be best to decrease the amount I have invested in the Dodge & Cox Income Fund and invest more in the below international options if I want to be more aggressive?

Drop the Dodge & Cox fund and put it in vanguard Inst. and Vanguard Total Intl. That will significantly reduce fees.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

OIFCIB101 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:52 pm
retiredjg wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:31 pm

What would you say is the proper balance? Increase another 10% in the Vanguard International Fund and decrease the mid cap and small caps?
First decide how much of your portfolio you want in stocks. Then decide what portion of your stocks you want in international.

Right now, your portfolio is 75.8% stocks and 24.2% bonds. Is that what you want? It is one of many reasonable numbers just based on your age.

I would suggest that you hold at least 20% in bonds depending on your personal risk tolerance.

Others think it is OK to have 100% stocks. I think that number is mostly suggested by people who have never suffered a long meltdown or people who have high risk tolerances and don't realize that not everybody is built that way.

After you decide on the amount of stock you want, you decide how much should be US stocks and how much should be foreign stocks. Recommendations range from 0% to 50%. You currently have 12.7% of your stocks in foreign stocks.

When it comes to your large cap (institutional index) and mid and small cap stocks, the customary ratio to achieve "market weights" is about 80 -85% large cap and 15 - 20% mid and small cap together. You have more than that. This is not necessarily a bad thing - some people want to have a "tilt" toward mid and small caps.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

This like will give you some ideas of how to mix the large, mid, and small US stocks to give something like total stock market. It is not important to be very precise.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Approxi ... ock_market
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Watty wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:28 pm For 2021 the top of the single 12% tax bracket is $40,525 and the standard deduction is $12,550 so you would need $63,075 in taxable income to get into the 22% federal tax bracket.
You mean $53,075.
Watty

Post by Watty »

02nz wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:02 pm
Watty wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:28 pm For 2021 the top of the single 12% tax bracket is $40,525 and the standard deduction is $12,550 so you would need $63,075 in taxable income to get into the 22% federal tax bracket.
You mean $53,075.
Good catch, I fixed it, thanks
Topic Author
OIFCIB101

Post by OIFCIB101 »

Appreciate the advice from all the folks on the board. Learned some new things and realize I need to build up my knowledge in this area.

Thanks all.