Fidelity International Index

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
prk

Fidelity International Index

Post by prk »

Fidelity seems to have a half dozen international index funds that seem more or less the same. The EM fund is obvioulsy different, but the others all seem nearly identical.

Am i missing something?

Help please.
atdharris

Re: Fidelity International Index

Post by atdharris »

Which are you referring to? I own FSPSX in my 401k and it's just a basic developed international fund tracking the MSCI index.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

prk wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:15 am Fidelity seems to have a half dozen international index funds that seem more or less the same. The EM fund is obvioulsy different, but the others all seem nearly identical.

Am i missing something?

Help please.
You'd have to list the names and ticker symbols. Some might be value vs growth vs blend. Others might track size. Some might track different indexes. Index A might classify country C as developed, but Index B classified it as emerging.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Fidelity has several international funds - enough to be confusing.

Some are broad market (including small, med, and large caps, developed markets and emerging markets). Some are not so broad - might be missing one or the other of the things just mentioned. I think one is missing Canada....you get the picture.

You have to look at the index each one follows to know what you get.

I thought there was a Wiki page on this but cannot find it just now.

What do you want and what kind of account do you plan to hold it in?
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Here is a Wiki page on Fidelity funds

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Fidelity

My suggestion is always Fidelity Total International Index Fund FTIHX 0.06% MSCI ACWI ex USA IMI Index ~ 4800 because it contains everything.

A lot of people seem to like the zero fund though. However, it is not as complete and cannot be transferred to another brokerage.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

What retiredjg said in her posts is exactly correct and I agree 100%.

FTIHX is the true "total international" index at Fidelity.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

My preference would be Fidelity Total International Index Fund (FTIHX) ER 0.06%, be because it is the most diversified.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Topic Author
prk

Post by prk »

what is missing from the ZERO international index fund?
Topic Author
prk

Post by prk »

here are the funds that all seem the same: fzilx, fspsx, fsggx, ftihx
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

prk wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:30 am here are the funds that all seem the same: fzilx, fspsx, fsggx, ftihx
Take a look at the wiki page: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Fidelity

It tells you which index each fund tracks and the number of holdings. Personally, I use FTIHX since it's the most complete.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

prk wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:29 am what is missing from the ZERO international index fund?
It tracks fewer stocks, probably smaller ones, because of the expense of buying them or because the volume of stock is so low that they could affect the pricing just by purchasing them at the volume they need. They also avoid paying fees to the index company (or at least fewer fees) because it's a bespoke index.

The Zero funds can never be moved to another brokerage. If you hold them in a taxable account, you'd have to sell them (paying taxes on the gains), which will keep you out of the market for the time it takes to settle and transfer. If it's in a 401K/IRA, it isn't as big of a deal.

As for the others: viewtopic.php?t=275435
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

prk wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:29 am what is missing from the ZERO international index fund?
Fidelity ZERO International Index Fund (FZILX) omits stocks of small-cap companies.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
harikaried

Post by harikaried »

prk wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:30 amhere are the funds that all seem the same: fzilx, fspsx, fsggx, ftihx
Only earlier this year did we realize my 401k international option FSPSX focused on "developed" ~1000 holdings, so we ended up better diversifying by moving that 401k money to US 500/extended while exchanging in her 401k from Total US to FTIHX Total International ~5000 holdings. Notably the former missed out on regions/companies like China (Tencent, Alibaba), Canada (RBC, TD), Taiwan (TSMC, Foxconn), Korea (Samsung, LG), etc.

FZILX and FSGGX are similar to each other in tracking international large cap (but different index and expense ratio) so roughly in between the other two in terms of holdings. But comparing these large cap funds to FTIHX, all 3 have the same top 10 holdings right now with the "Large" pair having ~11% weight while "Total" slightly reduces to ~10%.