Help reinvest cash/ portfolio guidance

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
carabiner

Help reinvest cash/ portfolio guidance

Post by carabiner »

Emergency funds: 6 months cash

Debt: 300K mortgage 30 year 2.5%

Tax Filing Status: MFJ Two child dependents

Tax Rate: 24% Federal, 5.5% State

State of Residence: MD

Desired Asset allocation: 100% stocks
Desired International allocation: ?
Please provide an approximate size of your total portfolio. 625K

His Roth IRA 41K Ticker/% for account/ER
American Funds EuroPacific Growth Fund® Class F-2 AEPFX/.069/.58
Carillon Eagle Small Cap Growth Fund Class I HSIIX/.047/.76
Catalyst/Millburn Hedge Strategy Fund Class I MBXIX/.096/2.02
Davis New York Venture Fund Class Y DNVYX/.129/.65
DWS RREEF Global Infrastructure Inst TOLIX/.082/1.13
JPMorgan Large Cap Growth Fund Class I SEEGX/.070/.69
JPMorgan Mid Cap Value Fund Class I JMVSX/.064/.99
Morgan Stanley Variable Insurance Fund, Inc. - Global Infrastructure MBGIX/.040/.84
Principal MidCap Fund Institutional Class PCBIX/.038/.7
Thornburg International Equity Fund Class I TGVIX/.084/.97
Virtus KAR International Small-Cap Fund Class I VIISX/.038/1.3
Virtus Vontobel Emerging Markets Opportunities Fund Class I HIEMX/.067/1.25

Her Roth IRA 16,000 Ticker/% for account/ER
Morgan Stanley Pathway Funds Emerging Markets Equity Fund TEMUX/.114/.82
Morgan Stanley Pathway Funds International Equity Fund TIEUX/.328/.82
Morgan Stanley Pathway Funds Large Cap Equity Fund TLGUX/.39/.48
Morgan Stanley Pathway Funds Small-Mid Cap Equity Fund TSGUX/.165/.66

His profit sharing 168K Ticker/% for account/ER
American Funds EuroPacific Growth Fund® Class F-2 AEPFX/.094/.58
Carillon Eagle Small Cap Growth Fund Class I HSIIX/.057/.76
Catalyst/Millburn Hedge Strategy Fund Class I MBXIX/.098/2.02
Davis New York Venture Fund Class Y DNVYX/.124/.65
DWS RREEF Global Infrastructure Inst TOLIX/.091/1.13
JPMorgan Large Cap Growth Fund Class I SEEGX/.113/.69
JPMorgan Mid Cap Value Fund Class I JMVSX/.063/.99
Morgan Stanley Variable Insurance Fund, Inc. - Global Infrastructure MBGIX/.053/.84
Principal MidCap Fund Institutional Class PCBIX/.057/.7
Thornburg International Equity Fund Class I TGVIX/.09/.97
Virtus KAR International Small-Cap Fund Class I VIISX/.052/1.3
Virtus Vontobel Emerging Markets Opportunities Fund Class I HIEMX/.094/1.25

Taxable Liquidated sitting in cash 132K
Cash 160K

Her 403b 108K
Vanguard target date 2050

Contributions

New annual Contributions
19,500 her 403b plus 5% match
6,000 his Roth IRA
6,000 Her Roth IRA
529 for kids TBD

403B is at principal in vanguard target date fund. I am fine with this.
The rest of the accounts are at Morgan Stanley. Weighted expense ratios are 1% and the AUM fees are 1.25%. We have read the boglehead guide to investing and know that the fees are to much. Looking for a simpler portfolio 2-3 fund but am a little hesitant to move so much of our nest egg at once or without review.

Questions:
1.How to invest cash and liquidated account at big firm? Transfer in kind to vanguard 90% VTSAX some international?

2. Transfer the IRA's over as well and invest the same as #1 or target a target date fund?

3. This leaves the profit sharing account at MS. I have no idea what to do with this account. Roll over to IRA? I have asked HR about redirecting future contributions to a different account but was told that unless the profit sharing plan is rewritten, things have to stay as MS. This is a very small company so I'm not sure how accurate the info was. The plan is very generous and for the last decade, has been around a 15% match.
Last edited by carabiner on Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
retired@50

Re: Help reinvest cash/ portfolio guidance

Post by retired@50 »

You should probably provide the fund names for each of the ticker symbols you included.

Virtually nobody will have all those symbols memorized, which means they are far less likely to respond. You can edit your original post to add the information by using the pencil icon in the upper right corner of your post.

Regards,
If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. -George Orwell
Topic Author
carabiner

Post by carabiner »

retired@50 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:12 pm You should probably provide the fund names for each of the ticker symbols you included.

Virtually nobody will have all those symbols memorized, which means they are far less likely to respond. You can edit your original post to add the information by using the pencil icon in the upper right corner of your post.

Regards,
Done, Thanks!
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

carabiner wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:08 pm
Questions:
1.How to invest cash and liquidated account at big firm? Transfer in kind to vanguard 90% VTSAX some international?

2. Transfer the IRA's over as well and invest the same as #1 or target a target date fund?

3. This leaves the profit sharing account at MS. I have no idea what to do with this account. Roll over to IRA? I have asked HR about redirecting future contributions to a different account but was told that unless the profit sharing plan is rewritten, things have to stay as MS. This is a very small company so I'm not sure how accurate the info was. The plan is very generous and for the last decade, has been around a 15% match.
About q1,
Yes, transfer in kind to Vanguard and use VTSAX and/or VTIAX. Excluding international is done by some, but I personally believe in the diversification benefit of holding both domestic and international holdings.

About q2,
Yes, transfer Roth accounts and use VTSAX and/or VTIAX. US & International total stock market indices.

About q3,
Can you list all the potential choices in the profit sharing account, or is the mixture controlled by someone else? Are ANY index funds available in the profit sharing plan? Please do more editing, showing all available fund choices, including names and ticker symbols.

P.S. Fees are killing your returns. You should absolutely DO something about this.

Regards,
If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. -George Orwell
Topic Author
carabiner

Post by carabiner »

Yes, I have control over the investments in the profit sharing account. I just don't see any reasonable funds to park the money in and the AUM fees on top just kill any returns. I have contacted vanguard about transferring a profit sharing account and they are unsure at the moment on what my options are.