4-year portfolio update – early 50’s, DW cancer, retirement timing?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
streamline

4-year portfolio update – early 50’s, DW cancer, retirement timing?

Post by streamline »

DW and I are trying to figure out the best time for me to retire (9/2021 or 6/2025). We are both in our early 50s. We’ve made a bunch of progress streamlining our portfolio and related since our 2017 portfolio review: 3 fund portfolio review - married, mid to late 40's.

Since that 2017 post:
  • We’ve had a very strong savings rate…nearing 50% of gross income.
  • We have paid off the 0% auto loan and sold one of our cars.
  • We’ve paid off our mortgage and downsized to a more livable house with improved location, walkability, and single floor living. (Unfortunately, we moved sideways in house value – we had hoped to spend less $$, but during the search decided that this time in our life wasn’t the right time for that.)
  • We’ve improved our tax efficiency of investments via advice from that review – moving all bonds to tax-advantaged and international stocks to taxable.
  • Moved 401k investments to Fidelity brokeragelink, where I can use Vanguard funds.
  • Older child has graduated from college. Younger child has decided to attend an affordable state university.
  • Sold rental property.
This year, DW had a major health diagnosis - a chronic cancer. Of course, this has been a terrible development. Retirement wise, it increases time uncertainty and makes health care cost planning even more important. Her first treatment is progressing well, but we’ve been told to expect needing more treatments in the future…hopefully at least 5 years down the line.

Our full portfolio details and retirement plan are below…along with questions from both DW and I. Even before her diagnosis, DW was scared that this is too early for me to retire, and she’d like to know if I am thinking sensibly. That said, I’d like to make sure I am thinking sensibly and doing the right thing for the family and myself as well.

Emergency Fund, Debt and Income
Emergency funds: 3 months of expenses
Debt: none
Tax Filing Status: Married Filing Jointly, two college-aged kids (one just graduated, one just started with plenty saved in 529)
Income Tax: (2020) 35% Federal, low% State. Effective Rate = 20.24%
Expenses: budgeted to be $145K/year until 55, then $130K until 65, then $120K at 65 and later (including taxes and likely heavy healthcare costs related to cancer – (premiums and out of pocket) with COBRA, then ACA, then Medicare.)
Ages: both early 50’s

Portfolio Review
Desired fund choice strategy: Three fund portfolio
Desired asset allocation: 65/35 (US/BND)
Stock % International: 20%
Size of Portfolio (excluding home equity & 529s): $2.7-2.9M
Home: ~1.5M value, no mortgage. HCOL location. (Likely here for next 10-20 years.)

Tax-advantaged assets (62.6%)
His 401k (50.8%) at Fidelity BrokerageLink
33.5% Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund Admiral Shares (VBTLX) (.05%)
17.2% Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares (VTSAX) (.04%)

Her Roth IRA at Vanguard (6.7%)
6.7% Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares (VTSAX) (.04%)

His Roth IRA at Vanguard (5.2%)
5.2% Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares (VTSAX) (.04%)

His HSA (1.4%)
0.2% Schwab International Index (SWISX) (.06%) – current year contributions
1.4% Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares (VTSAX) (.04%) – rollover at Fidelity

Taxable assets (37.4%)
13.8% Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Admiral Shares (VTIAX) (.11%)
18.1% Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares (VTSAX) (.04%)
5.5% Vanguard Total Stock Index ETF (VTI) (.03%)

Annual Contributions
Saving ~50% of gross income. Maximizing 401k, match, backdoor Roth, non-deductible IRAs for both, and the rest in taxable.

Life Insurance
While employed, 4x of my base salary - ~$800K. Once retired, plan to have no life insurance coverage. DW has no coverage.

Umbrella Insurance
Have $2M umbrella insurance protection via our primary insurer. Sized via Kiplinger.com’s umbrella insurance calculator.

Social Security
I plan to start at 70 with $3,577 monthly benefit.
DW plans to start at 62 and 5 months with $854 monthly benefit.
(We update AnyPIA / opensocialsecurity.com tools every year or so.)

My Income
North of $300K annually, including salary, bonus and RSUs. If I work another 4 years before retiring, most unvested RSUs at that point will continue to vest. Strong employer provided healthcare.
Hard to walk away from my peak earnings (another $1.5M of gross income if I worked until 6/2025), but need to make the time vs money decision at some point.

DW Income
Part-time income ~$30K, flexible hours/location. No healthcare options through work. DW’s current plan is to continue to work part-time for several more years.

DW Illness
Diagnosed earlier this year, DW is fighting a type of blood cancer. She is being seen in a strong cancer center located within a half hour of our house. The current chemoimmunotherapy treatment appears very effective for her. Despite this success, the doctor has given the expectation that she will likely need a different treatment in ~5 years as this type of cancer is never truly cured. It is unlikely that DW will live until mid-90's like we had always expected based on her family history.

Kid 1
Older child has recently graduated from college with less than $5K of debt. Looking for job in tech in the Bay area. Until they have a job with insurance coverage, we will continue to pay for their health care costs.

Kid 2
Younger child started college career with ~6 years’ worth of college costs in their 529.

Health Care Coverage Plan
Our budget for health care expenses post-retirement is budgeted as:

COBRA for 18months
Premiums: 19K/yr
Out of Pocket: up to 7K/yr
Coverage Level: same as insurance while working.

ACA until 65
Premiums: 13K. (researched gold plan that covers cancer hospital, and estimated our income via i-orp)
Out of Pocket: up to 13.5K. Likely years with treatment will reach full out of pocket.
Coverage Level: like COBRA, including coverage at Cancer Hospital.

Medicare after 65
Confusing…but appears to be lower than COBRA and ACA…so won’t focus energies on this for now. Just budgeting same amount as ACA for now. Don’t want to waste brain cells on this now, as long as that conservative budgeting is good.

Treatment Costs for Cancer
Treatment costs this year will be capped at out-of-pocket maximum. It seems that if we focus on paying for good insurance, and budget for some years of full out of pocket costs, we should be ok financially through cancer treatments.

Expenses Projection
Budget:
  • $145K/year until 55
  • then $130K until 65
  • then $120K from 65 and later
Costs drop due to second kid graduating college, reduction of cost helping an elderly parent, etc…

Starting Retirement Proposal
  • Would quit Tech MegaCorp job after 2021 annual bonus and biggest future quarterly stock vest. (9/2021)
  • Major component of plan is to do some serious volunteering in a role I currently hold, with more time and energy to devote. This charity is very important to us.
Retirement Projections
Have used several retirement forecasting tools, including ERN's SWR spreadsheet, iorp, firecalc, and more. Have used fairly conservative projections:
  • Budget for 50yr retirement, 40yr more likely.
  • Holding no mortgage. Budgeting to move from HCOL 3br house to place worth ~60% as much in ~20yrs.
  • Budget includes one inheritance; it is almost certain (I am POA). Conservatively estimated to happen in 15yrs. Likely will grow more than budgeted due to their 2% withdrawal rate.
  • Another possible 1-3 inheritances, but not including them in budget.
  • DW wants to continue working part time for next several years, but not including any of that in "can I retire" budgeting.
  • If needed, and/or desired, I can go back to work, or start a new line of work.
Below for some of the tools I used I listed most of the parameters I used…in case anything seems troubling. Would love to know if I made a bad assumption, or used a tool badly.

ERN’s SWR spreadsheet
Retirement Horizon: 600 months (50 years)
Cash Flow Assist sheet:
3 budget eras: 4 years of 25K extra withdrawals, then 10 years of 10K extra withdrawals, then normal withdrawals.
Social Security: 854 per month for DW at ~62.5. Goes up to 1111 when DH turns 70. 3577 per month for DH social security at 70.
Result1: Spreadsheet calculates SWR of 3.68% (for cape>20 and spx at all time high) with social security cash flows and budget eras included.
~15 years, inheritance of $578K, 500K of it inflation adjusted.
~20 years, reduce home equity by $600K, inflation adjusted.
Result2: when you add inheritance and home equity cash flow, it changes to swr of 4.84%. That SWR is just a bit below $1K per month extra than is needed for all three budget eras.

Extended i-orp.com
Constant spending.
Current Investable assets.
Social Security: 42.9 @ 70 for me. 10.2 @ 62 for DW.
Essential spending of 140, 125, 115 at 51, 55, and 65 [not all that spending is essential] – taxes not included in those amounts, since IORP figures those out.
Inheritance at 66 of 575K
House equity at 70 of 600K
Unlimited conversions.
3% spending inflation rate. 5% stock return. 2% bond return.
Result: 7K max, annual discretionary spending, on top of essential spending requirements.

firecalc
Spending: 140,000 (couldn’t figure out how to do variable budget eras very well, so just picking this almost highest budget era)
Portfolio: 2,750,000
Years: 50
Social Security: 42900 in 2040 and 10200 in 2032
CPI inflation (default)
Constant spending power (default)
.05% investing fees.
Long Interest Rate (default)
65% equities.
Add lump sum of $575K in 2036 (inheritance)
Add lump sum of $600K in 2040 (house equity)
Result:
Here is how your portfolio would have fared in each of the 101 cycles. The lowest and highest portfolio balance at the end of your retirement was $372,601 to $40,144,850, with an average at the end of $11,256,236. (Note: this is looking at all the possible periods; values are in terms of the dollars as of the beginning of the retirement period for each cycle.)
For our purposes, failure means the portfolio was depleted before the end of the 50 years. FIRECalc found that 0 cycles failed, for a success rate of 100.0%.

DW Concerns
A) DW wonders if we have enough money to have DH retire considering her health, cost of insurance, and potential out of pocket costs?
B) We have always talked of traveling when DH retires (which we have budgeted for), and I do not want to have to give up that plan due to lack of funds.
C) Is it wise for DH to stop work now when he is at peak earnings amount – walking away from $300K+ annually? DH continued employment for 4 more years would add significantly to DW’s feeling of security in a time filled with a lot of unknowns.
D) Should DH work until he is old enough (4 more years) to have RSUs vesting continue post retirement?
E) Why leave money on the table? (1.5 million of gross income if DH worked until 9/2025)

My Concerns
We have been planning towards retirement for a while - saving more and simplifying our lives.
DW’s health situation, and the new uncertainty of how long we’ll have in retirement together, added to my desire to retire sooner than later.
I feel that while working, I cannot focus effectively on family health, my own exercise and health, volunteering and other side projects.
I do not want to work longer than I must.

Thanks for any assistance.
Scooter57

Re: 4-year portfolio update – early 50’s, DW cancer, retirement timing?

Post by Scooter57 »

Investigate ACA plans in your state and what they will cover. They vary dramatically from one state to another. You won't be able to get private insurance with a major pre-existing condition so the quality of the ACA plans really matters. And even if you did qualify for private insurance, non ACA private insurance is full of sleazy pitfalls that might not pay if you had a major claim. I had to deal with this years ago when I had private insurance that was affordable and sounded great, except their response to any claim they wouldn't pay according to contract terms was "sue us." They only paid 50% of any claim we submitted though the contract terms said 80%. At least you can trust that ACA plans WILL pay the claims as described in the contract. But their quality varies dramatically from state to state and they can be very expensive. When evaluating such a plan, you have to look at what drugs are covered, too and how they cover chemo. Call the plan's customer service number and ask as if you needed specific treatments and find out how they would be treated.

If the plans available to you are really terrible, you might need to hold on to your job until you have a better grasp on the medical situation and can move somewhere where the plans are better when you retire. Otherwise, I would urge you to spend the next couple years doing the things you and your wife always dreamed of doing. You have a great deal of money and, apparently, a modest lifestyle. You could find some way to make more income if you really needed to up until your 70s. But with the uncertainty around your wife's condition you would want to make the most of the time she has now. That isn't to say she might not have many more years, but you don't know, and doctors are not always honest with cancer patients about their chances. Treatments, too, take their toll on the body and mind. So find out what your wife would prefer to do with the next few years and do it. Make sure she isn't saying what she thinks you want to hear or sacrificing her desires for your benefit or those of the kids. Right now, she should come first.

I had a friend some years ago who was diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer. She quit her college teaching job, took all her savings, and spent a year traveling the world doing the things that she had always dreamed of doing. She ended up having a near miraculous remission which lasted a decade. She was very short of funds having spent everything on that trip, but she got by one way and another. She never regretted taking that magical year. I always wondered if doing that had helped her survive.
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

I just wanted to send a brief note of support to you and your family regarding the cancer diagnosis. You seem to have your financial house in order. Additional financial comments are forthcoming but I wanted to send support to you first and foremost.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

Sorry to hear about the health issue. You don't have any financial worries that I can see. I'd pay off your kid's small $5,000 college debt and help them when they are starting out. That's when it will make the most difference. They need to learn to fish on their own, but assistance with a down payment on a modest home would certainly help.
domoi

Post by domoi »

streamline wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:34 pm DW Illness
Diagnosed earlier this year, DW is fighting a type of blood cancer. She is being seen in a strong cancer center located within a half hour of our house. The current chemoimmunotherapy treatment appears very effective for her. Despite this success, the doctor has given the expectation that she will likely need a different treatment in ~5 years as this type of cancer is never truly cured. It is unlikely that DW will live until mid-90's like we had always expected based on her family history.
Many new treatments for various blood cancers are developed and getting approved today, so it's very likely that she will have new effective treatment options in 5 year. I would use mid-90's lifespan for the planning purpose
streamline wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:34 pm Starting Retirement Proposal
  • Would quit Tech MegaCorp job after 2021 annual bonus and biggest future quarterly stock vest. (9/2021)
  • Major component of plan is to do some serious volunteering in a role I currently hold, with more time and energy to devote. This charity is very important to us.
Retirement Projections
[*] DW wants to continue working part time for next several years, but not including any of that in "can I retire" budgeting.
I would personally continue working for 4 more years. If the early retirement was to support DW health or life quality (eg traveling, caretaking etc) I would retire. However, as long as she continues working, the best way to support her would be to maintain medical insurance, increase the nest egg in case of unexpected emergencies and increased spending flexibility. As well as to alleviate DW's concerns about the finances.
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

You clearly have put a lot of thought into your retirement plans. Well done.

And I'm sorry for the health situation.

I'm 57 and still working largely because one of us has cancer. One factor for us, and it could be for you as well: the major cancer treatment center that is assisting us doesn't take ACA plans.

More broadly, because of health considerations, I concluded that it wouldn't be prudent to retire and thus walk away from employer-provided HC based on our facts. So instead I'm hanging on as best I can to get us both as close as I can to age 65. If I lose my job prior to age 65 due to budget cuts or other factors beyond my control, so be it. But I would struggle to sleep at night if I voluntarily left employer-provided HC in the rear view mirror in the pursuit of early retirement based on our facts. It is my job to keep the best HC coverage possible for as long as I can; indeed, that is now my only remaining mission in life.
Topic Author
streamline

ACA plan coverage vs barista + insurance

Post by streamline »

Thanks all, for the replies so far. Appreciate the good wishes, and advice.

Will bite off the different thoughts posted, and reply to some of them. This one is about whether an ACA plan will cover cancer care appropriately.
Scooter57 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:18 pm Investigate ACA plans in your state and what they will cover. ...the quality of the ACA plans really matter.
WyomingFIRE wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:53 am One factor for us, and it could be for you as well: the major cancer treatment center that is assisting us doesn't take ACA plans.
Our cancer center website points to 3 ACA plans that include coverage there. Using that info, a few weeks ago I was digging into the details of the plan that happens to be the same insurer that my employee based coverage uses. At my first look, I was able to figure out which of the several ACA plans that they offered included cancer center coverage. So my budget for healthcare in my original post included:
streamline wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:34 pm ACA until 65
Premiums: 13K. (researched gold plan that covers cancer hospital, and estimated our income via i-orp)
Out of Pocket: up to 13.5K. Likely years with treatment will reach full out of pocket.
Coverage Level: like COBRA, including coverage at Cancer Hospital.
That said, I should probably spend several more hours digging deeper to ensure all the details there, including checking with other people at my employer who may be facing cancer and may have already investigated (likely there is an employee formed group inside the company focusing on dealing with cancer, I'll go search).

This is good advice as well:
Scooter57 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:18 pm When evaluating such a plan, you have to look at what drugs are covered, too and how they cover chemo. Call the plan's customer service number and ask as if you needed specific treatments and find out how they would be treated.
Bottom line...if I did retire now, COBRA would have us covered similarly for 18months. Then ACA for 13 years. If we can determine that ACA is good coverage, although expensive, it may be a viable option, if our retirement budget can afford it.

So one question is, can I retire now or...should I work 4 more years to pile even more money away...or do I need to work to 65 because of ACA inadequateness.

If keeping good insurance is the high order bit, and if the only way to do that is to be employed, I could look for different roles and/or companies that might provide strong insurance. I don't see anybody saying that finances of our plan doesn't seem solid. Could I go work as a barista with good insurance, but a low salary? For 4 years? For 13 years?
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

duplicate
Last edited by Zeno on Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
streamline

Post by streamline »

Early retirement has been a topic and being prepped for several years.
Yes, DW has been worried about it, even before the diagnosis.

Yes, I realize that there are many relationship issues here. She is worried. One way we can work through those concerns is to have a strong plan and have experts poke holes in it. Thus this post...

Can we afford the proposed budget?
Yes, we need to ultra verify that ACA coverage would be strong enough to get the right care.
Yes, ACA plans can change.

Here are a few options that I'd love to understand viability for:
A) OK to retire now, if budgeted aca plan covers cancer center well enough
B) not ok to retire yet, get lots of money for one more year, then retire
C) not ok to retire yet, get lots of money for four years, then retire
D) not ok to retire until Medicare, but low salary ok, just need good insurance
E) other?
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

OP,
I’m so sorry to hear about your wife’s diagnosis. As stated upthread, the advancements in treatment for that type of cancer have come a long way in the last 5 years. A new cutting edge treatment is expected this coming fall. My sister-in-law has dealt with MM for the last 5 years.
If at some point your wife’s doctor feels it is a problem for her to continue to work, she would be eligible to apply for social security disability. Once that is granted, I believe she would be eligible for Medicare after a 1 year waiting period.
I wish you both the very best!!

Brad
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

If your expected expenses as you stated are really expected, you may have to continue working. However, if you could reduce your expenses to, say, $100,000 a year, you may be able to retire now. But I did not see that you listed a good reason to retire now.
sc9182

Post by sc9182 »

Sorry for the health/family matter.

Consider: Step-up basis for Brokerage account(s) -- community property state or not !
Any life insurance in-force (Term, or employer provided one for spousal coverage) ?
Good ACA plan (or state) would be of much help.
Any living will, Medical Power of Attorney, or Healthcare Directive taken (sorry didn't read full thread -great detail though!)

Thx
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Recognize that ACA plans, unlike employer plans, will increase with age even with no other changes.

The most recent Supreme Court ruling puts the future of the ACA on much better footing. But with 13 years to go, I would consider the likely future of healthcare in your state and county and consider if you are prepared to move if need be.

I understand why your wife is uncomfortable. I understand why you are ready. I would be uncomfortable. But I am sure that many have retired with your plan and been successful. There are still a few places out there that provide health insurance with a 20 hour a week job. Healthcare plus less needed from portfolio plus more time away from work could be a good compromise.
Topic Author
streamline

Post by streamline »

flyingaway wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:16 pm If your expected expenses as you stated are really expected, you may have to continue working. However, if you could reduce your expenses to, say, $100,000 a year, you may be able to retire now. But I did not see that you listed a good reason to retire now.
Thanks for the reply.
Can you explain your basis for $100k expense number. Are you taking into account the house equity plan and the inheritance? Do you see the three retirement calculator details. How did I misuse those?
coastalhiker

Post by coastalhiker »

I'm sorry to hear about DW's diagnosis, that is a lot to digest and plan for. Your desire to retire soon to spend time with her definitely speaks to me. But she has valid concerns.

I'm wondering why it's a choice between this retiring this year and retiring 4 years from now? Is there a compromise to be had? For example, working for just 2 more years, or maybe seeking a part-time or consulting role that could give you more flexibility to slot in some traveling and spend time with her.
Caligal

Post by Caligal »

Hi -

I am also sorry to hear about your wife's diagnosis. But, congratulations are in order that it appears that the rest of your financial plans are in such good shape.

Health issues, particularly things like cancer, add immeasurable stress to life. You mentioned that your wife was already worried/scared about your desire to retire early prior to her diagnosis. Is now the time to add more to her stress level? I'm not sure how long your wife has known about her illness, but if it is fairly recent, I would drop the whole retire now or 4 years from now and just let her get her mind abd body accustomed to her new reality.

Most of your post sounds like what you want, not necessarily what would give her more peace of mind as she receives treatments. I wish you both the best and hope that she continues to do well!
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

streamline wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:41 am
flyingaway wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:16 pm If your expected expenses as you stated are really expected, you may have to continue working. However, if you could reduce your expenses to, say, $100,000 a year, you may be able to retire now. But I did not see that you listed a good reason to retire now.
Thanks for the reply.
Can you explain your basis for $100k expense number. Are you taking into account the house equity plan and the inheritance? Do you see the three retirement calculator details. How did I misuse those?
I was considering what I might do in your situation. Your house equity plan and inheritance are not in hands yet so I will not consider them at this time. Other than those, your portfolio is about $3M and a 3% withdrawal rate is about $100,000.

However, if I were forced to retire, I would make your plan work. My original response said that "I did not see that you listed a good reason to retire now", which means that I did not see you have a compelling reason to retire immediately. You did list some reasons, but they are not compelling, in my point of view. Giving that you are making a lot of money now, it is better to keep making that money now than tightening the shoe strings later.