Best book for 25y/o w/ limited investing experience?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
MattB

Best book for 25y/o w/ limited investing experience?

Post by MattB »

Hi Bogleheads,

Can you please recommend the (single) book you would recommend for a 25-year-old with limited investing experience?

My much younger SIL is a recent college graduate with a stable job and the means to save for her future. I'm thinking about encouraging her to take a more proactive role in saving and investing. And I was hoping I might give her a book to spark some interest.

Thank you.

Best,

Matt
Carousel

Re: Best book for 25y/o w/ limited investing experience?

Post by Carousel »

JL Collins, "The Simple Path to Wealth."
Wiggums

Post by Wiggums »

William Berstein's If You Can is suggested reading for Millenials http://efficientfrontier.com/ef/0adhoc/ifyoucan.pdf

The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
"I started with nothing and I still have most of it left."
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

MattB wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:34 am Hi Bogleheads,

Can you please recommend the (single) book you would recommend for a 25-year-old with limited investing experience?

My much younger SIL is a recent college graduate with a stable job and the means to save for her future. I'm thinking about encouraging her to take a more proactive role in saving and investing. And I was hoping I might give her a book to spark some interest.

Thank you.

Best,

Matt

Wiggums wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:56 am William Berstein's If You Can is suggested reading for Millenials http://efficientfrontier.com/ef/0adhoc/ifyoucan.pdf

In my opinion Dr.Bernstein's free pdf book "If You Can" is the best for a 25 year old with limited investing experience.

For a gift you could select anything by Mr. Bogle or "The Coffehouse Investor" by Bill Schultheis.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

Wiggums wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:56 am William Berstein's If You Can is suggested reading for Millenials http://efficientfrontier.com/ef/0adhoc/ifyoucan.pdf

This right here. Even if they don't read all the additional assignments.
CABob

Post by CABob »

My favorite for a beginner is Personal Finance for Dummies by Eric Tyson. Tyson also has a number of other books in the "Dummies" category.
Bob
hnd

Post by hnd »

you don't want anything that would feel like a text book. the dummies books by Tyson are good. The Ifyoucan pdf by bernstein is fantastic.
BirdsE

Post by BirdsE »

In her new job get her to join the company savings plan. Hopefully Vanguard , Fidelity etc program. Do this right away. She should get some stocks, bonds and money market and see how those different savings work.The main thing is to get started saving right away.
BigJohn

Post by BigJohn »

Another vote for If You Can. I gave copies to all my children, nieces and nephews.
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan" - Carl Von Clausewitz
wetgear

Post by wetgear »

All About Asset Allocation
young-ish

Post by young-ish »

You said SIL, so isn't your brother the one to connect with on this? Did he or she express interest in saving?
whereskyle

Post by whereskyle »

Thank you.

Best,

Matt
I started with the Little Book of Common Sense Investing by John Bogle at 30 yo.

I think The Simple Path to Wealth by JL Collins might be another good option.
"I am better off than he is – for he knows nothing and thinks that he knows. I neither know nor think that I know." - Socrates. "Nobody knows nothing." - Jack Bogle
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

I recommend the ChooseFI book which promotes index investing. I think you have to get your personal finance life in order before you start investing and this book covers that as well.

After that Simple Path to Wealth is an excellent read for mid-20 year olds. I gave both books to my mid-20s kids.
Last edited by beernutz on Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AA: 40/41/19 - equities/positive return-zero volatility/bonds
almostretired1965

Post by almostretired1965 »

Malkiel's "Random Walk Down Wallstreet" is, in my opinion, the single best, and for many, only, book on (passive) investing that you ever need to read.

A
bhough

Post by bhough »

The above are all good. Would recommend Jane Bryan Quinn's books (Making the most of your money now). Random walk down wall street good. Charles Schwab wrote a small book a few years ago that was good. Your money or your life is good. Robert Kiyosaki's book was good, but I know people hate him/it. The book changed the way I think even if it wasn't 100% accurate. (or so I've heard,...)Anna Thau's Bond Book is very good. I'd also consider buying a subscription to the wall street journal. I suspect at your age, you wouldn't have it delivered to your house like I do, but it has some great articles. Would also consider subscribing to Matt Levine's daily article at bloomberg. It is free to sign up and it comes right into your mailbox. He is so so smart and funny and topical. You also learn about finance in the process and he explains current events very very well. Lastly, would also consider making small ($100) investments in things you want to learn about and consider that tuition. Don't understand 30 year treasuries? Buy one and see what happens. Interested in what Morgan Stanley is going to charge you in ADR fees if you buy BASF? Buy it and watch for a year. Not clear how the French will tax you on AXA? Buy a few shares and see. The sooner you do this, the quicker you are going to feel comfortable with different investments. (this does not mean cryptocurrency please,....)
b
Topic Author
MattB

Post by MattB »

Appreciate the many suggestions. I'm going to read some of these myself.
Topic Author
MattB

Post by MattB »

bhough wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:13 pm Lastly, would also consider making small ($100) investments in things you want to learn about and consider that tuition. Don't understand 30 year treasuries? Buy one and see what happens. Interested in what Morgan Stanley is going to charge you in ADR fees if you buy BASF? Buy it and watch for a year. Not clear how the French will tax you on AXA? Buy a few shares and see. The sooner you do this, the quicker you are going to feel comfortable with different investments. (this does not mean cryptocurrency please,....)
b
This is a good idea.
epictetus

Post by epictetus »

The Little Book of Common Sense Investing by John Bogle
Focus on what you can control
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

I will teach you to be rich
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

MattB wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:27 pm
bhough wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:13 pm Lastly, would also consider making small ($100) investments in things you want to learn about and consider that tuition. Don't understand 30 year treasuries? Buy one and see what happens. Interested in what Morgan Stanley is going to charge you in ADR fees if you buy BASF? Buy it and watch for a year. Not clear how the French will tax you on AXA? Buy a few shares and see. The sooner you do this, the quicker you are going to feel comfortable with different investments. (this does not mean cryptocurrency please,....)
b
This is a good idea.
I think that's a poor idea.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Topic Author
MattB

Post by MattB »

ruralavalon wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:58 pm I think that's a poor idea.
It's interesting, at least.
roguewarrior0

Post by roguewarrior0 »

I personally like "The Automatic Millionaire". Read that and then invest in Vanguard Target Date fund. Then read any of the Boglehead books. I recommend the Boglehead's Guide to Three Fund Portfolio. After reading the 2nd book, decide if you want to stay Vanguard Target Date or do 3 Fund Portfolio.

Those 2 will get you on a path to be a multi-millionaire by retirement. Either way you will be good.
ApeAttack

Post by ApeAttack »

almostretired1965 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:53 pm Malkiel's "Random Walk Down Wallstreet" is, in my opinion, the single best, and for many, only, book on (passive) investing that you ever need to read.

A
Great book, but I wouldn't recommend it to a complete novice. Maybe as a second or third book to read.
May all your index funds gain +0.5% today.
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

Carousel wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:54 am JL Collins, "The Simple Path to Wealth."
Yep. This one.

Here is JL's blog: https://jlcollinsnh.com/stock-series/
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

One approach which my niece is using is not a book, but every day she looks at the Morningstar Classroom:

https://www.morningstar.com/start-investing/classroom
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
slickracer

Post by slickracer »

Sleep Well at Night Investor by Tim Decker
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Thank you.

Best,

Matt
(dislaimer: IMHO)

There are 2 categories/genres of books that work great, actually produce results, for a young person, if not anyone.

1. Motivation and inspiration, character and growth, and behavior/life habits.
(light my Fire.. . think big. . .dream big. . little fish or big fish. . .etc)

IE: "Life Strategies", and "Life Code" by Dr. Phil
IE: "As a Man Thinketh"
IE: "Richest Man In Babylon"
IE: "Think and Grow Rich"
IE: "Millionaire Next Door"

2. Money and finance and "how to" and "what to do".
IE: Money Fundamentals. . "Liz Orman", "Dave Ramsy", etc, etc, etc.

3. There's no sustained investing and exponential growth of the person and what is externally materialized as career success, financial stability and independence, etc, without #1 and #2. So, It's good that all are concurrent vs fragmented or compartmentalized. Like a plant needs the entirety of air, etc, etc, etc. . and sun. All at once.

4. The sequence is: Interest > Desire > Inspiration/Passion > Action.

(dislaimer: IMHO)
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:08 am One approach which my niece is using is not a book, but every day she looks at the Morningstar Classroom:

https://www.morningstar.com/start-investing/classroom
This is something I also recommend to novice investors
sandan

Post by sandan »

almostretired1965 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:53 pm Malkiel's "Random Walk Down Wallstreet" is, in my opinion, the single best, and for many, only, book on (passive) investing that you ever need to read.

A
Agreed. A crucial book for anyone that needs to select funds or stocks.
TxFrog

Post by TxFrog »

I’d recommend “Bogleheads’ Guide to Investing”.

I just finished reading “A Random Walk Down Wall Street” this week for the first time. It’s a great book and a must read for an index investor. However, IMO this book is more of a thesis why index investing is the best approach. Most of the practical implementations are at the end of the book. If this 25 y/o doesn’t find investing interesting, they may get bored with the book and not make it to the end.

Also, +1 towards Bernstein’s “If you can” pdf.
ApeAttack

Post by ApeAttack »

sandan wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:24 am

A
Agreed. A crucial book for anyone that needs to select funds or stocks.
I am in the process of reading that book now. If I didn't spend a year on BH.org and do a massive amount of reading beforehand to get used to investing terminology and concepts, I would've given up on Malkiel's book after a few chapters. In my opinion it is too advanced for an introductory book, but is a terrific book for someone wanting to gain a deeper understanding of why index investing is a great strategy.
May all your index funds gain +0.5% today.
Dennisl

Post by Dennisl »

Another vote for Bernstein's if you can

If you want a book to give, I like the boglehead's guide to investing

If they don't want to read the book, the wiki is pretty good.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_started
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

young-ish wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:27 pm You said SIL, so isn't your brother the one to connect with on this? Did he or she express interest in saving?
SIL may mean sister of spouse. Either way, in my opinion a book on investing is a perfectly appropriate, even fine gift. On several occasions I've sent such books to younger relatives or colleagues. My favorites are:

Why Smart People Make Big Money Mistakes and How to Correct Them
The Intelligent Asset Allocator
The Little Book of Common Sense Investing
A Random Walk Down Wall Street

Someone did the same for me when I was (relatively) young and I've been eternally grateful.
Topic Author
MattB

Post by MattB »

Luckywon wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:00 pm
young-ish wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:27 pm You said SIL, so isn't your brother the one to connect with on this? Did he or she express interest in saving?
SIL may mean sister of spouse. Either way, in my opinion a book on investing is a perfectly appropriate, even fine gift. On several occasions I've sent such books to younger relatives or colleagues. My favorites are:

Why Smart People Make Big Money Mistakes and How to Correct Them
The Intelligent Asset Allocator
The Little Book of Common Sense Investing
A Random Walk Down Wall Street

Someone did the same for me when I was (relatively) young and I've been eternally grateful.
Thanks for your suggestions.

My apologies for using an ambiguous abbreviation. By sister-in-law I was referring to my wife's much younger sister, who I've known since she was 4 years old.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

this is pretty good (road map for investing success):
https://investingroadmap.wordpress.com/

i also think the videos if people prefer that are pretty good:
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Video:B ... philosophy

forgot one that just came out recently. Paul Merriman and Rich Buck's "We're Talking Millions":
https://paulmerriman.com/wp-content/upl ... llions.pdf
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki