VCR [Vanguard Consumer Discretionary ETF]

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Robertj86

VCR [Vanguard Consumer Discretionary ETF]

Post by Robertj86 »

Still very green but stumbled across this VCR and it seems almost to good.
I'm thinking about investing addition funds in this but wondering, what am I missing.

https://investor.vanguard.com/etf/profile/vcr

Thanks for any opinions/advice!
iceport

Re: VCR

Post by iceport »

In my experience, chasing performance has not worked out well. So I don't do it anymore, and I'd advise others to do the same.

I'm not guaranteeing this will/would happen to you, but if it were my luck, I'd be getting in at the peak of a burst of growth, only to see performance lag going forward.

Been there, done that. :wink:
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
Wiggums

Post by Wiggums »

Robertj86 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:29 am Still very green but stumbled across this VCR and it seems almost to good.
I'm thinking about investing addition funds in this but wondering, what am I missing.

https://investor.vanguard.com/etf/profile/vcr

Thanks for any opinions/advice!
Vanguard Consumer Discretionary ETF (VCR)
"I started with nothing and I still have most of it left."
obafgkm

Post by obafgkm »

Wiggums wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:14 am Vanguard Consumer Discretionary ETF (VCR)
Thank you, because I was about to ask. I clicked on this because I thought (of course) it was somebody asking or discussing a videocassette recorder. No reason to not indicate in the subject itself what one is talking about. Indicating the meaning of an acronym (or a ticker symbol) on first reference is good practice.
"I'm investing in stocks... chicken, beef, and vegetable. It's risky, but I know one day it'll pay off & I'll be a bouillonaire. Who knows, I might even open up a Broth IRA."
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

Nothing wrong with it, I've eyeballed it too from time to time. 98% of VCR is in Total Stock Market (VTI) which I already hold in my IRA, so to me it may be more fitting in my taxable as my 3rd rung of savings (checking, savings, taxable) just for something different. But I already have Total Stock there so as lazy as I am I'm not changing.

Robertj86 whats your plan for it? I'm curious how it fits in your portfolio.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l »

A cool ETF but not something I am interested in. 10 stocks make up over half of the fund, and Amazon alone is over 20%. Tesla approaching 10% of the fund. This explains why it has done well over the past decade, and could easily under perform the broader stock market in the decade to come. Let's say Tesla merely fails to consistently hit the 50,000 cars per month mark, and Amazon gets broken up by gov't, suddenly you are in hot water with this investment.
70% Global Stocks / 30% Bonds
Topic Author
Robertj86

Post by Robertj86 »

Thanks All.
I don’t know really how it would fit in. It was just something from Vanguard that a I stumbled upon and asked.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

obafgkm wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:52 am
Wiggums wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:14 am Vanguard Consumer Discretionary ETF (VCR)
Thank you, because I was about to ask. I clicked on this because I thought (of course) it was somebody asking or discussing a videocassette recorder. No reason to not indicate in the subject itself what one is talking about. Indicating the meaning of an acronym (or a ticker symbol) on first reference is good practice.
I got it.
:happy
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)