Extra to Invest

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Mastied

Extra to Invest

Post by Mastied »

Looking for some suggestions on where or what would be a good choice to invest 10k. This would be extra money I have to invest for a short period, such as for 9-12 months. I already have a good emergency fund. The money was in a CD, but I'm looking for possible some suggestions for something other than a CD for a short term CD. Any suggestions are welcome.
dukeblue219

Re: Extra to Invest

Post by dukeblue219 »

For 9-12 months? There's nothing that's going to give you any real return without taking on a lot of risk.

Stick with cash, whether it's a "high" yield savings or a CD.
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

Mastied wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:57 pm Looking for some suggestions on where or what would be a good choice to invest 10k. This would be extra money I have to invest for a short period, such as for 9-12 months. I already have a good emergency fund. The money was in a CD, but I'm looking for possible some suggestions for something other than a CD for a short term CD. Any suggestions are welcome.
If you're going to need the money in 9-12 months, there isn't much to say other than online bank accounts paying around 0.5%. Ally, Marcus, etc.

If you put it at risk in the stock or bond markets, you could wind up with less than when you started.

Regards,
If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. -George Orwell
Topic Author
Mastied

Post by Mastied »

Yea, I guess if I am not willing to use it as long term investing, probably a CD is the best route. Anybody have and suggestions on the best place for a 6-9 month CD. I get a little leary of putting my money with some place that I never heard of.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Mastied wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:25 pm Yea, I guess if I am not willing to use it as long term investing, probably a CD is the best route. Anybody have and suggestions on the best place for a 6-9 month CD. I get a little leary of putting my money with some place that I never heard of.
Ally No Penalty CD.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.