Things I bought VTWAX in lieu of

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
investingforbank

Things I bought VTWAX in lieu of

Post by investingforbank »

Nvidia (NVDA): $177
AMD (AMD): $25
Gamestop (GME): $78
Bitcoin (BTC): $20,000
Dogecoin (DOGE): $0.42

I feel like an idiot.
Last edited by investingforbank on Sat May 08, 2021 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Triple digit golfer

Re: Things I bought VTWAX in lieu of

Post by Triple digit golfer »

Buying a broad based globally diversified index fund to serve as a long term investment has never turned out to be anything other than fantastic.

The goal is not to have as much price appreciation as possible in the shortest time period. That isn't investing at all.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

investingforbank wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:22 pm NVDA: $177
AMD: $25
GME: $78
BTC: $20,000
DOGE: $0.42

I feel like an idiot.
At least you didn't buy a stock that tanked.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

I feel like an idiot.
At some point MoviePass was also a fantastic "investment," until it wasn't. Any "idiot" (your word) can look at past performance and say "I would've made more money buying X." Can you do that for the future?
Taylor Larimore

Ticker Symbols

Post by Taylor Larimore »

I feel like an idiot.
investingforbank:

I have no idea what funds you are talking about. Others must feel the same.

You will get far more replies if you list the fund names in addition to the ticker symbols. Use the "edit" box (looks like a crayon) in the upper right corner of your post.

Thank you and best wishes
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom:
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
drk

Post by drk »

This is an example of resulting. You should read Annie Duke's book Thinking in Bets (Bogleheads Amazon affiliate link).

For the Bitcoin, Dogecoin, and Gamestop ones, I would also recommend Bill Bernstein's The Delusions of Crowds.
A useful razor: anyone asking about speculative strategies on Bogleheads.org has no business using them.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

anon_investor wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:25 pm

I feel like an idiot.
At least you didn't buy a stock that tanked.
Or an international fund! As Gordon Gekko would say that is “a dog with fleas”!

Invest in Blue Star Airlines instead!
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

investingforbank wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:22 pm Nvidia (NVDA): $177

I feel like an idiot.
I hear you! Years ago during pure veil stock picking days we had some huge home runs (America Online for starters) and dogs (America Home Mortgage).

Only once after reading “Bogle on Mutual Funds” did we see the errors and simply bought the Jack Bogle and Warren Buffett Two Fund Portfolio of Total Stock and Total Bond.

Tony
dublin

Re: Ticker Symbols

Post by dublin »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:45 pm

I feel like an idiot.
investingforbank:

I have no idea what funds you are talking about. Others must feel the same.

You will get far more replies if you list the fund names in addition to the ticker symbols. Use the "edit" box (looks like a crayon) in the upper right corner of your post.

Thank you and best wishes
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom:
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense."
:twisted:
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I totally understand your feeling.

I have an automatic monthly investment in VTI, month and month, year after year.

I’m up something like 40% in the last 12 months.... everybody should be as well, given what it was like 12 months ago.....

And I’m totally glad I do what I do....

But when I see Ethereum up 378% in the last 4 months, it can make me feel like a dope.....

I’m in the top 2% of Networth in America, and still, sometimes it feels like I’m screwing up.....
02nz

Post by 02nz »

abuss368 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:17 pm Or an international fund! As Gordon Gekko would say that is “a dog with fleas”!
abuss368 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:21 pm I hear you! Years ago during pure veil stock picking days we had some huge home runs (America Online for starters) and dogs (America Home Mortgage).

Only once after reading “Bogle on Mutual Funds” did we see the errors and simply bought the Jack Bogle and Warren Buffett Two Fund Portfolio of Total Stock and Total Bond.
Got it, buy the haystack, but don't touch the hay on the other side of the fence!
whereskyle

Post by whereskyle »

I feel like an idiot.
You would have been an idiot to think either one or all of those would outperform the market meaningfully and provide a guarantee not to fail entirely, which is exactly the reason you bought VTWAX.

The only thing beating yourself up will do is ensure you act like an idiot by betting big on an undiversified asset that goes straight down.
"I am better off than he is – for he knows nothing and thinks that he knows. I neither know nor think that I know." - Socrates. "Nobody knows nothing." - Jack Bogle
bogledogle87

Post by bogledogle87 »

Hmm... I’m not seeing the problem here. Still looks to me like the right decision! :?
VTWAX and chill
Rainmaker41

Post by Rainmaker41 »

You, like me, apparently believe global economic production will be worth more in a few decades than it is now. You bought VTWAX to have a share of that. Hold it forever. I plan to do the same.
85% Global Stock, 15% US Fixed Income
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

Normchad wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:30 pm I totally understand your feeling.

I have an automatic monthly investment in VTI, month and month, year after year.

I’m up something like 40% in the last 12 months.... everybody should be as well, given what it was like 12 months ago.....

And I’m totally glad I do what I do....

But when I see Ethereum up 378% in the last 4 months, it can make me feel like a dope.....

I’m in the top 2% of Networth in America, and still, sometimes it feels like I’m screwing up.....
Yeah. But such is the issue with buying an index fund: you decide to settle for average. Sometimes that means missing out on buying Cisco in 1990. But sometimes it means not getting burned buying Cisco in 2000.

The winds will shift away from easy gains. Someday.
gonefishing01

Post by gonefishing01 »

Open another account with a small amount you can afford to lose and give yourself permission to act like an idiot in there. Track it carefully. It was a humbling experience when I tried this and I quickly went back to buying the index. The time and energy is better spent increasing income and savings rate for me personally.
index245

Post by index245 »

Eh, I've tried buying individual stocks and wasn't terribly good at it. Never bought Apple or Amazon or anything else good early on. Index funds save me from myself.

As for the thousands of bitcoin threads on bogleheads...I don't really understand it, more power to you if you become a bitcoin millionaire.
dru808

Post by dru808 »

So, you would have picked just those? Lemme guess, no, “whatever else won big”.
1 fund
gideon trumpet

Post by gideon trumpet »

investingforbank wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:22 pm I feel like an idiot.
An "idiot," to the extent it refers to someone ignorant about how individual stocks or currencies will perform, should buy VTWAX.
lazyinvestor30

Post by lazyinvestor30 »

I will give you an example. I bought AMD when it was 25 .. I got so excited when it got to 90.. but now more or less it has been in the same range. But from the day it got to 90.. VTI has gained 20 percent.. so yes you might pick the right time to buy.. but if you don’t know when to get out.. it’s a waste..

Thankfully I have liquidated my stock positions and got to VTI now. Can’t be happier
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

02nz wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:44 pm
abuss368 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:17 pm Or an international fund! As Gordon Gekko would say that is “a dog with fleas”!
abuss368 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:21 pm I hear you! Years ago during pure veil stock picking days we had some huge home runs (America Online for starters) and dogs (America Home Mortgage).

Got it, buy the haystack, but don't touch the hay on the other side of the fence!
Total Stock and chill!

Tony
whereskyle

Post by whereskyle »

I feel like an idiot.
Good thing you didn't buy dogecoin Friday!
"I am better off than he is – for he knows nothing and thinks that he knows. I neither know nor think that I know." - Socrates. "Nobody knows nothing." - Jack Bogle