Seeking Alt Dealflow - RIA in MidAtl or Southeast

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
SuperXmas

Seeking Alt Dealflow - RIA in MidAtl or Southeast

Post by SuperXmas »

Anybody have a RIA they’d recommend that provides steady access to alternative investment opportunities (private credit, private equity, real estate, infrastructure, venture capital, distressed debt)? I’m open to advisers in DC/MD/VA/NC/SC/GA/NY. Seems like iCapital and CAIS have good opportunities but you need to be working with a RIA to get access and then Schwab can hold custody. I’m looking for more “institutional” solutions vs what is available on YS, CS, etc. any help much appreciated.
David Jay

Re: Seeking Alt Dealflow - RIA in MidAtl or Southeast

Post by David Jay »

I just wanted to reply so you would not feel that you were being ignored. I see that well over 100 people have viewed your post, so there are people here who are willing to help.

I think there are two limiting factors for getting a lot of feedback to your inquiry here on Bogleheads. One or the other factor would likely result in a number of quality responses, but between the two there will be very few here that fit your requested profile:

1. We are largely a DYI community. While a few of us may use investment advisors for certain assets, it is definitely a small percentage of BH types.

2. We are largely an indexing community, certainly for core holdings. A number of members include other assets "around the edges", such as real estate and individual stocks, but again those diversifiers are a small percentage of holdings for the vast majority of the community.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
Topic Author
SuperXmas

Post by SuperXmas »

Totally get it and appreciate the response David. I am mostly an indexer too but I enjoy trying to hit a few doubles and triples vs the consistent singles provided by indexing.

It’s tough to find what I’m looking for. Most RIAs want to provide alt opportunities in conjunction with a broader portfolio strategy, but bc I’m an indexer, I don’t want to pay fees on a total portfolio. Finding a RIA who will just provide me with access to alts is proving to be a challenge.
desiderium

Post by desiderium »

SuperXmas wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:04 am Totally get it and appreciate the response David. I am mostly an indexer too but I enjoy trying to hit a few doubles and triples vs the consistent singles provided by indexing.

It’s tough to find what I’m looking for. Most RIAs want to provide alt opportunities in conjunction with a broader portfolio strategy, but bc I’m an indexer, I don’t want to pay fees on a total portfolio. Finding a RIA who will just provide me with access to alts is proving to be a challenge.
The conundrum with an RIA is that they will either want to manage a large chunk of your portfolio and layer those fees, or derive an incentive from the alt deal, in which case he or she will not be acting entirely in your interest.

Try the white coat investor website. There are a number of alt strategies discussed there, and you could float your ideas on their forum for feedback.
Topic Author
SuperXmas

Post by SuperXmas »

Cool. Will check it out. ICapital and CAIS are lowering the barriers to entry in alts, but RIA adoption appears to be slow so far.