I savings bonds for emergency fund

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
framus

Re: I savings bonds for emergency fund

Post by framus »

framus wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:45 pm
vineviz wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:50 pm
framus wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:41 pm I couldn't find a way to autofill the password field and had to fall back to a less complex password that can be manually input using the site's virtual keyboard.
If someone knows of a way to work around this drawback that would be helpful.
Safari has no trouble auto filling my TD password.
Does Safari merely fill the field that shows up above the virtual keyboard?
I try to only have my passwords retained in my password manager but I'll try using safari for this.

-Framus
Thank you Vineviz.
In Safari I went to preferences/passwords and enabled my Treasury Direct password to be saved there and it works like a charm.
Bob's your uncle!
-Framus
Raspberry-503

Post by Raspberry-503 »

I use Personal Capital to keep track of my accounts and it seems to be unable to deal with the TD password system.
Not a big deal, I can manually update the account every now and then since it's my emergency fund and only changes slowly with interest.

Speaking of interest, I didn't see it mentioned, but it is compounded semi-annually: every 6 months the internet is added in and becomes your new principal.
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

framus wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:41 pm Unfortunately, the TD site wants a user to use a virtual keyboard to input one's TD account password. This is a measure that discourages complex, abstract passwords.
I couldn't find a way to autofill the password field and had to fall back to a less complex password that can be manually input using the site's virtual keyboard.
Disabling Javascript used to work, but starting a few years ago even the initial login page (to enter your account ID) required Javascript defeating that workaround :( .

My current workaround requires a little bit of comfort tech-wise: Firefox lets me right-click the password field and select Inspect Element (Q). From there I can right-click on the 'readonly' attribute on the password field and then select Attributes -> Remove Attribute "readonly". With that attribute gone, Firefox now allows me to copy & paste my password from KeePassXC. Other browsers may be willing to ignore the 'readonly' attribute automatically (Safari maybe based off the other replies?).
Raspberry-503 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:11 am Speaking of interest, I didn't see it mentioned, but it is compounded semi-annually: every 6 months the internet is added in and becomes your new principal.
This is true, but since most of the bond value will either be original principal or (later) interest earned in the previous compounding periods (no more than 6 months ago) this has never bothered me personally even if it is an odd quirk.
In true boglehead fashion my chief concern is saving enough to withstand 7 consecutive biblical plagues. - TheNightsToCome
Angst

Post by Angst »

DavidC wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:57 amMy current workaround requires a little bit of comfort tech-wise: Firefox lets me right-click the password field and select Inspect Element (Q). From there I can right-click on the 'readonly' attribute on the password field and then select Attributes -> Remove Attribute "readonly". With that attribute gone, Firefox now allows me to copy & paste my password from KeePassXC. Other browsers may be willing to ignore the 'readonly' attribute automatically (Safari maybe based off the other replies?).
Thank you for this! I've saved it and will try it out next time I login - I find the virtual keyboard to be awfully tedious. I assume I'll have to go through this workaround every time I login, but it would still be easier than messing with that "keyboard".
framus

Post by framus »

DavidC wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:57 am
framus wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:41 pm Unfortunately, the TD site wants a user to use a virtual keyboard to input one's TD account password. This is a measure that discourages complex, abstract passwords.
I couldn't find a way to autofill the password field and had to fall back to a less complex password that can be manually input using the site's virtual keyboard.
Disabling Javascript used to work, but starting a few years ago even the initial login page (to enter your account ID) required Javascript defeating that workaround :( .

My current workaround requires a little bit of comfort tech-wise: Firefox lets me right-click the password field and select Inspect Element (Q). From there I can right-click on the 'readonly' attribute on the password field and then select Attributes -> Remove Attribute "readonly". With that attribute gone, Firefox now allows me to copy & paste my password from KeePassXC. Other browsers may be willing to ignore the 'readonly' attribute automatically (Safari maybe based off the other replies?).
Earlier in this thread, Vineviz made the point that Safari users can save their TD password in Safari under Safari/Preferences/Password as a work-around for the virtual keyboard difugalty. I've done that and found that it works quite nicely.

Framus
Angst

Post by Angst »

framus wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:28 pmEarlier in this thread, Vineviz made the point that Safari users can save their TD password in Safari under Safari/Preferences/Password as a work-around for the virtual keyboard difugalty. I've done that and found that it works quite nicely.

Framus
Yes, but I assume this is not a good option for someone running Windows. I gather that Apple stopped supporting Safari for Windows a while back and although it's said to still run on Win 10, I wouldn't download/install it just to be able to save my password for TD.